|
![]() ![]() Jackson County 1898 ASHLAND AND MEDFORD.
"Ashland
and Medford," Siskiyou
News, Yreka, April 16, 1898, pages 2-3Correspondence from F. W. Emmerson Upon the Varied Business and Manufacturing Interests of a Prosperous Locality--Some of the Representative Business Men. THE ROGUE RIVER VALLEY is fifty miles long
and twenty-five miles wide. Jackson County is about 50 miles square and
has a population of 12,000.
THE CLIMATE
is
a golden mean between the excessive moisture of the Willamette Valley
and Puget Sound at the north and the scorching summer droughts of the
California valleys on the south. The thermometer seldom falls below 10
degrees above zero in summer.RAINFALL
averages from 15 to 25 inches (always sufficient to ensure crops).CHIEF INDUSTRIES
are mixed farming, fruit growing, stock raising, mining and
manufacturing.CRATER LAKE,
one
of the most wonderful sights in the world, is situated about 100 miles
from Ashland. During summer many tourists start from this place to
visit the lake and enjoy the unsurpassed facilities for hunting and
fishing.ASHLAND
is a
thriving town on the S.P. railroad 341 miles south of Portland
and 431
miles north of San Francisco. Population 2500. The people are
enterprising, intelligent, social and ready to welcome all worthy
homeseekers. Ashland is the chief town of Rogue River Valley, and also
the largest in a radius of 200 miles. Ashland Creek runs through the
center of the town, affording an ample supply of pure, cold water for
household, manufacturing and irrigating purposes. The city is 2000 feet
above sea level. Its pure air, even temperature, medium rainfall and
grand scenery make it one of the most delightful places for a home or
health. They have a woolen factory, foundry and machine shop, two
planing mills, a 5-stamp quartz mill, steam laundry, creamery,
brickyard, saw mill, electric light plant, large opera house, three
hotels, a bank, four newspapers, seven churches, state normal school
and three public school buildings, graded school with 12 first-class
teachers. Ashland is the terminus of the Mt. Shasta division of the
S.P. railroad. The company has built a large eating house and hotel,
costing $35,000, a large round house and other buildings necessary for
its business.CHAUTAUQUA.
The Southern Oregon Chautauqua is located at Ashland, its beautiful
park and unique and comfortable assembly hall are admired by all who
see them. Four successful yearly assemblies of ten days each have been
held. Among the speakers have been: Dr.
Gunsaulus,
of Chicago; James Clement Ambrose, Charles Edward Locke, D.D., Dr.
Carlos Martyn, Mrs. Marion Baxter, Prof. Colton, of Lick Observatory,
and E. R. Dille, D.D.CITY WATER.
Ashland has fully 15 miles of iron pipe, conveying an abundant supply
of pure, cold, soft water to the different portions of the city. The
plant is owned by the city, and water is sold to consumers at
reasonable prices. No place on the coast has a better water service.HOTEL OREGON.
We are pleased to present in this issue
a cut
of the "Hotel Oregon," without a doubt the best brick hotel between
Salem and San Francisco on the line of the Southern Pacific Company's
Shasta route. This modern brick structure was erected some nine years
ago, by a company of Ashland's most enterprising business men. It is up
to date in all its appointments. Sanitary plumbing throughout, fitted
with electric lights; the entire house is supplied with the "Hess
system" guest call, fire alarm and gravity drop annunciator. The Oregon
has accommodations for one hundred and fifty guests, the rooms being
large, light and airy--not a single inside room in the house.Fine large, light sample rooms for the use of commercial men is another feature worth mentioning. The furnishings are in keeping with a first-class hostelry, and the dining room is a model of neatness and satisfaction. Mr. J. Conner has been the proprietor during the past two years and has accomplished much toward making the Hotel Oregon popular. W. E. Conner, a son of Mr. J. Conner, assumed the management April 1st of this year and is working tooth and nail to please the traveling public and patrons of the Oregon. The rates are extremely reasonable, running from two dollars to two and one-half dollars a day. The service is first class, and the culinary department will please the most fastidious. A bar room, barber shop and cigar stand are necessary and pleasing adjuncts of the hotel proper. Mr. W. E. Conner has been connected with Hotel Oregon for the past fourteen months, and is perfectly familiar with its routine and management. He was born in Labette City, Kansas, in 1871, removing to California in 1874 with his parents and came to Ashland, Oregon, on the 27th day of January, 1897. Mr. Conner is a young man of bright attainments, liberal to a fault and is peculiarly fitted for his present position as manager of the Hotel Oregon. His social qualities, coupled with his pleasing and perfect treatment of guests, and it follows that once becoming a guest, always his guest when in Ashland. Mr. Conner was married to Miss Nannie M. Reed at Laytonville, Mendocino County, August 22nd, 1894. His estimable wife is a daughter of John S. Reed, one of the original owners of the "Black Bear" mine in Siskiyou County, California. W. E. Conner has been connected with various prominent hotels in California for the past four years. His experience has been a benefit to the patrons of the Hotel Oregon in more ways than one, and its homelike surroundings and accommodations speak volumes for his successful management. BANK OF ASHLAND.
Organized in 1884, under the state banking laws of Oregon. This
institution does a general banking business, issues letters of credit
and drafts on all the principal cities of this country and Europe.
Correspondents are Chemical National Bank of New York, Wells, Fargo and
Co. of San Francisco, First National Bank of Portland. The officers of
the bank are D. R. Mills, president; F. H. Carter, vice-president; E.
V. Carter, cashier.The above-named gentleman has been a resident of and engaged in business in Ashland since 1884. He has been associated with Mr. Hutchison, under the firm name of Cranfill & Hutchison, until some few weeks ago, when he purchased Mr. Hutchison's interest and is now sole owner of the large general merchandise establishment situated on 7th Street. He deals in dry goods, groceries, boots, shoes, hats, caps, and country produce. His store room is large, being 25x100 feet, and so arranged that business can be carried on to the best advantage. ASHLAND CREAMERY.
Not least among the enterprising industries of Ashland is the creamery
conducted by D. Perozzi, a Swiss gentleman, who understands butter
making in all its various stages. The creamery was built in 1896 by a
joint stock company. This company ran it one year, when Mr. Perozzi
leased the plant and has been constantly making and adding
improvements. He has thirty patrons who supply cream. He ships his
butter to Dunsmuir, Redding and other points. The milk is brought in
every morning from the farm, weighed and sampled; then is led into a
large receiving vat; thence to the bowls of the separator where the
cream is taken from the milk. The cream is now carried to a cream vat
where it is cured by the same process as that employed by the N.L.
dairy school. Every impurity is eliminated from the milk, and the cream
is absolutely pure. Next morning the cream is churned, the butter
washed and worked thoroughly. The butter is pressed into two-pound
rolls--each roll is stamped "Ashland Creamery Butter."D. R. & E.
V. MILLS.
The above-named firm is the prominent
business house of Ashland.They have been in active trade for 12 years April 1st last, and carry a select line of dry goods, carpets, fancy goods and ladies' and gents' furnishing goods. The shoe department is quite an extensive business in itself. These gentlemen buy and sell for cash and offer goods on a very close margin. Mr. D. R. Mills is quite a prominent factor in the business whirl of Ashland, being president of the bank, president of the electric light company and president of the Ashland Hotel Company. These gentlemen are Ohio men and are keen, live, wide-awake business men, an honor to any community and the pushing spirit in Ashland and vicinity. ASHLAND STEAM
LAUNDRY.
Keep neat and clean. For accommodating parties in this way Mr. R. L.
Fenal is conducting the Ashland Steam Laundry. This adjunct to the town
was put into operation two years ago. Mr. Fenal erected the new
two-story building 20x40 feet on Ashland Creek and put in a $1500
plant. He controls the trade of Siskiyou County, Cal., and Jackson
County, Oregon. Does quick and "A-1" work, owing to the purity of the
water, and the perfection of his machinery. No chemicals are used,
thereby protecting clothing and ensuring the best of workmanship.MEDFORD BREWING
COMPANY.
This is one of the live industries of the live little town of Medford.
The brewery was built in 1893 and since incorporated. Elias Merz has
general charge, and is a practical brewer, having spent his life in the
business. Native of Germany, where he served his apprenticeship and
gained a thorough knowledge of the business. The Medford Brewing
Company ships up and down the line to different points and makes the
best of beer from Oregon barley. The building is two stories and 60x75
feet.EUGENE A. SHERWIN.
Among the gentlemen we had the pleasure of meeting in Ashland, Mr.
Eugene A. Sherwin impressed us pointedly. We found him pleasant,
agreeable, well posted and a first-class business man. He does the drug
trade there and carries in connection a full line of stationery, school
and blank books and art materials.A prescription department is one of the features of his drug store. He has been in business here 5 years, is a native of Vermont and was fitted for a druggist in Massachusetts. In 1870 he removed to Wisconsin, from there to Wallace, Idaho, in 1887, where he opened the first drug store in the place. During the strike he kicked the dust of Wallace from his feet and came to Ashland, where he enjoys a fine trade. Mr. Sherwin is second vice president of the Oregon State Pharmaceutical Association. D. F. LAWTON.
This gentleman is the resident manager for Staver & Walker of
Ashland and handles a full line of Mitchell, Lewis & Company's
wagons, buggies, carriages, etc. These are high-grade goods and are
bought in carload lots. Mr. Lawton has been in business in Medford for
the past ten years. He has in addition to his store room two large
warehouses and a shed for storage of wagons, carriages, and
agricultural implements. He carries the largest stock of these goods
south of Portland and sells not only in Rogue River Valley, but through
Eastern Oregon and Northern California.Mr. Lawton is a native of Wisconsin, but has spent many years in the West. His business qualifications and extensive acquaintance through Oregon, Washington and California give him quite a leverage over his competitors. He is agent for "Phoenix," "Golden Eagle" and "Beebe" bicycles and carries both high- and low-grade goods. He also has a full and complete store of light and heavy harness, whips, robes, etc. ASHLAND ROLLER
MILLS.
These mills are the largest in the Rogue River Valley. They were built
in 1854 and have been under the present management, Virgin &
Co.,
since 1891. The "Allis" system of rolls are used and consist of five
sets. The capacity is seventy-five barrels per day. The mill uses
Oregon wheat exclusively and puts up a brand called "Our Patent," a
first-class family flour. Shipments are made south as far as Redding,
Cal., and as far north as Grants Pass, Oregon. W. J. Virgin is a
practical miller, having had twenty years of experience in Minneapolis
and Wisconsin. R. P. Neil, the business manager of the firm and Mr.
Virgin's partner, crossed the plains in 1853.The principal and only first-class hotel in Medford is the above-named hostelry, situated on the corner of the principal business thoroughfares immediately across from the depot and but half a minute's walk. This house has been established some 12 years, or almost since the founding of Medford. It was first opened by J. B. Riddle, as the "Riddle House." It passed into several hands, and finally four years ago Mr. I. L. Hamilton, the present successful hotel man, assumed the management and has built up a trade second to none among the interior towns of the state. The main building is a 2½-story brick structure, 75x100 feet, and contains 40 rooms. Further additions are contemplated during the coming summer. Hotel Nash has the finest sample rooms of any hotel south of Salem. A bar and barber shop are necessary and accommodating adjuncts. The hotel does an immense business and is run on business principles. Rates from one to two dollars a day according to location of rooms and other accommodations. The service, dining room and cuisine are of the finest class in every respect. Mr. Hamilton is a wide-awake, broad-gauge, thoroughgoing business man, and leaves no stone unturned to make hotel life pleasant for his patrons. He is a native of California, kind, social and agreeable to all with whom he comes in contact. Visitors and the transient traveling public will find mine host Hamilton well posted on their immediate wants and ever ready to serve them. ASHLAND
MARBLE WORKS.
James H. Russell, now deceased, established the Ashland Marble Works in
1860. He continued the business until his death in 1895.Since that time his wife, Mrs. James Russell, has continued the business successfully. She letters, cuts and fashions stone or marble to perfection. She supplies all kinds of monuments, stones and pedestals from granite, marble or sandstone. A visit and talk with her will prove interesting. ASHLAND
WOOLEN MILLS.
Ashland has many mills, among them and the most prominent being the
Ashland Woolen Mills, built in 1860. Her spindles and looms turn out
the famous Ashland blankets. First started by a joint stock company,
was incorporated in 1886. These mills were originally built by
subscription, among the more prominent subscribers being the
Applegates, Henry Ammerman and others. These parties sold out to
Thornton, Goodchilds & Marshall.Mr. E. K. Anderson succeeded to James Thornton's interests, and Goodchilds and Marshall transferred their interests to E. K. Anderson, Jacob Wagner, J. M. McCall and others. After a few years these gentlemen incorporated the plant when W. H. Atkinson came in as manager. The mill was operated under this regime for several years; it then remained idle for four or five years, when the present management, E. K. and G. N. Anderson, again started the looms and are now successfully carrying on the business. W. H. Humbert was manager for some eighteen months but was succeeded as manager and superintendent by G. N.Anderson, the present incumbent. They employ 30 operators and manufacture a high grade of all-wool blankets and blanketing. The output is fifty pairs of blankets per day. The company have as agents J. W. Collins & Co., 518 Market Street, San Francisco. Goods are shipped to China, Japan, Honolulu and Alaska. The mill is run by water power. J.
K. VAN SANT.
The bulk of the grocery trade at Ashland is controlled by J. K. Van
Sant, who has carried on business here for some six years. He delivers
to all parts of the city. Mr. Van Sant is a native of Iowa. He went to
California in 1872 and was in the general merchandise business at Red
Bluff for ten years, and has at this point established a driving trade.W.
T. KAME.
The shoe department of the Racket Store is under the management of W.
T. Kame, who has been a resident of Medford for years and always in
active business. He is a native of Pennsylvania. He spent some years in
Washington but finally located permanently in Medford.H.
S. EVANS,
a native of California, has been doing
business in Ashland for some 51 [sic]
years. Mr. Evans has a fine large stock of paints, oils, varnish,
brushes, glass and wallpaper.He makes a specialty of artists' materials and wallpaper and carries a stock of these goods that would do credit to a much larger town. Mr. Evans also does carriage and house painting, sign writing and kalsomining. Mr. Evans was formerly in business in Placerville, Placer County, Cal. He has lately been doing work on the new building of Gillis and Dockery at Klamathon. A very fine selection of jewelry can be found at the corner of 7th and C streets, Medford. At this location E. D. Elwood has opened a jewelry store, where he carries a full line of watches, clocks and jewelry, silverware and optical goods. Mr. Elwood makes a specialty of testing and fitting the eyes. Attends promptly to repairing in all its branches. All goods purchased from him are engraved free of charge. B.
F. REESER.
The hardware man of Ashland is B. F. Reeser, who has conducted his
business since 1872. He carries a full line of shelf and heavy
hardware, bicycles, stoves, tinware, etc. Does contract work of tinning
and plumbing. He is the pioneer hardware man of the place and is a most
agreeable gentleman. He is a native of Pennsylvania, but has long been
a resident of Oregon.This is one of the important business houses of Medford. They carry a selected line of dry goods, clothing, ladies' and gents' furnishing goods, and novelties of all kinds. The firm has been in active operation for the past four years. HENRY
JUDGE.
One of the oldest business men in Jackson County is the above-named
gentleman, who conducts a harness business, makes saddles and harness
of all kinds and carries in stock whips, spurs, robes, bits, and
everything usually found in an establishment of this nature. Has been
in business in Jackson County since 1859 and in Ashland for 15 years
past.The firm of [Compton] & Terrill own two livery stables in Medford and have the best and most stylish turnouts at reasonable rates to be found in Rogue River Valley. One of their stables is the oldest in the town, having been built when but a very few of the first buildings were completed. They can furnish at short notice all kinds of single or double rigs suitable for mountain or valley travel. Their stables contain from 35 to 40 horses and are all "A-1." Among them are a number of fine saddle horses. Messrs. Compton & Terrill have conducted the business since August 15, 1897. John Compton and Delbert Terrill are the individuals in the firm. G.
F. BILLINGS.
Real estate and insurance is represented in the town of Ashland by G.
F. Billings, a native of Maine but a resident of Ashland for twenty-one
years. Formerly Mr. Billings had been in the milling business, but for
15 years has been in the real estate and insurance business.He is a very reliable and conscientious gentleman and has the good of his home and the county at heart. He is present of the Chautauqua Association of Southern Oregon and is much interested in this work. Mr. Billings is a Notary Public, and represents some dozen different insurance companies, life and accident. He reports more lots sold the past six months than for the previous three years. Those desiring information in regard to Jackson County will do well to correspond with him. ASHLAND
IRON WORKS.
This is another manufacturing concern which the beautiful Ashland Creek
propels with its valued water power. The foundry was established three
years ago by Fenton & Costell. On April first of this year Mr.
Fenton withdrew and August Costell succeeded to the entire ownership.
An extensive machine shop is run in connection with the foundry, and
all kinds of mining supplies and machinery such as stamp mills, cams,
iron, brass and all kinds of castings are furnished at short notice.
This is a lively industry in this section and is a credit to the town.
Mr. Costell employs 10 to 12 men the entire year. The foundry is 52x60
feet and the pattern room 26x30 feet, two stories and basement. Mr. E.
C. Payne is general manager.
We left Marysville about midnight
Thursday, April 28th, and at daylight we were at Red Bluff. From there
on, something new presented itself at every turn. At Dunsmuir we met
Bill Wembish; he has been baggageman there for several years. The next
place of interest were the Shasta Soda Springs, where the train stops
fifteen minutes to allow passengers to drink soda water. It is a
beautiful place. From there we pass many places of more or less
interest until we come to Sisson, from where a grand view of Mt. Shasta
is obtained. From Sisson we passed through Shasta Valley, then climb
the Siskiyou Mountains and pass through the tunnel. When over the
summit a grand view of the Rogue River Valley presents itself. If you
ever wish to take a pleasure trip, by all means try a trip to Ashland,
Oregon, and return. The view of Mt. Shasta and surroundings will leave
a lasting impression on the mind of anyone who takes an interest in
Nature and her handiwork.
At Ashland, Oregon, a company of state militia, bound for Portland, got on the train, and many tears were shed by the wives, sweethearts and mothers of the soldier boys. Everyone had a flag, and a band played farewell tunes, and this kind of demonstration continued all the way to Portland. We only made a five-minute stop at Portland, and from there to Tacoma nothing of special interest was seen except Mt. Rainier and St. Helens, the peaks of which rose high above the clouds surrounding them. G. H. Nesbit, "From British Columbia," Oroville Weekly Mercury, Oroville, California, May 20, 1898, page 2 Last revised March 14, 2025 |
|