The Infamous Black Bird Southern Oregon History, Revised

Chronicles of Sacred Heart Hospital
Translated from the French by Sister Lucille Tremblay, S.P.  See also the page on Sacred Heart Hospital.

May 26, 1911 to July 1, 1912
Arrival--May 26
    Barely born, the young shoot of the powerful tree of Providence planted on Southern Oregon wants to reclaim his part of the vigor which will make it grow and bear fruits of benediction.
    The first missionaries to arrive were Sisters Praxedes of Providence, Superior, and her two companions Sister Pascal and Sister Gerard. Dr. R. Conroy [Dr. Robert J. Conroy] came to meet us at the station and conducted us immediately to our new home. Our first joy was to verify as our mothers did of yesteryear that we were starting our work in a small yellow house. The hospital tended by secular nurses carries the name of Southern Oregon Hospital--situated on the [northwest] corner of South Central and 11th Street. In the afternoon after conforming ourselves to No. 31 of our Constitutions we visited the Holy Name Sisters, who received us with open arms and gave us hospitality for the night.

Foundation--May 27
    This morning, fortified by Holy Communion and Mass, we directed our steps towards the Hospital; full of courage we started our day's work. The nurses were leaving the same day, so we took the entire administration of the establishment and of its fourteen patients.
    After visiting the patients and giving them the proper care, our first occupation was to prepare a place for Our Lord. There was not much choice; the house is poor and very disorderly.
    We were trying to erect an altar when someone announced the visit of Pastor J. F. Van Clarenback, who asked us if our chapel would be ready for the next day. On our affirmative answer, he told us that Rev. P. J. O'Reilly, S.J., would come to say Mass. Such happy news softened the grief of a first foundation day. Owing to the great generosity of our Province missions, we have all that is necessary for the Holy Sacrifice.

First Mass--
Here all expressions are lacking to describe our happiness, our joy and gratitude. The day had barely passed since our arrival, and already Our Lord had established His home in our midst, by His Sacramental Presence.
    The powerful words of the Consecration made Him come down in our humble sanctuary which will be hereafter our place of rest and our little paradise on earth. It will be easier to suffer and work under His gaze.
    We like to relive again the emotions of this solemn hour when bent in loving adoration we asked our Divine Host not to leave us and to make His permanent home with us. Since that day up to the day we took possession of our new home, we have the privilege of having the Holy Sacrifice three to four times a week. The other days we either go to Mass at the parish church or at the Holy Name's convent.
    Today we are meeting a good number of doctors; some wish us welcome and say they are happy to have us, some are cold and barely look at us.

Visit of Mother Mary of Nazareth, Provincial Superior--
On June 3rd, Our Lord reserved us an agreeable surprise. A phone call announced the arrival of our Provincial Superior, Mother Mary of Nazareth, who is accompanied by Sister Joseph Cupertino. This last one will join our ranks, and we were very happy to welcome her. Then Mother Provincial told us that the next visit will be made by Our Mother General, Mother Mary Julian, accompanied by our Third Assistant General, Mother Mechtilde of the Blessed Sacrament. Since the time is short we hurry to make the necessary preparations to receive our visitors. The woodshed is soon transformed into a dining room, a community room and an office, etc.

Visit of Mother Mary Julian and Companion--
Finally the 5th of June is here; all is taking an air of feast in our poor shed. Our visitors seemed happy in our midst in spite of our poverty and the makeshift of our quarters. Our Mother General does not make her regular visit at this time, but leaves us an official report which will always remain a precious relic for our house. She places this new foundation under the patronage of the Sacred Heart.

Visit to the New Hospital Site--
    Mother Mary Julian, Superior General, Mother Mechtilde of the Blessed Sacrament, Assistant General, Mother Mary of Nazareth, Provincial Superior and Sister Praxedes of Providence, our local Superior, all met at the site where will be erected a permanent hospital. Rev. J. F. Van Clarenback blesses the site, and our Mother General when turning the first shovel of soil accompanied this significant gesture with wishes and prayers for the success of the undertaking. The next day our visitors left us for Portland.

First Conversion--
June 10th a young man struck with tuberculosis, having been away from the Sacraments for seven to eight years, returned to his faith this morning. From all our hearts we pray to God to use us to bring back to the fold those who are away. Here a great number of Catholics do not practice their religion.

Visit of the Archbishop of Portland--
    The 22nd of June His Grace Monsignor Christie made his pastoral visit in Medford. His Grace paid us a visit and then was directed towards the new hospital site, where he blessed the foundation and the workers.

Feast of St. Vincent de Paul--
July 19th, feast of our good father St. Vincent de Paul, we united ourselves in spirit with our great Providence family to pray and give him homage of veneration and filial love. In our hovel the feast days are not any different than any other days.

New Arrival--
July 22nd arrived Sister Wilhelmina; she comes to share our works. We wish her a cordial welcome.

Departure of Our Pastor--
August 9th--it was with regret that we saw our good pastor, the Rev. [Francis] Van Clarenback, leaving us. Obedience called him to another apostolate. Since our arrival in Medford he never ceased to shower us with kindnesses and delicate attention.

Arrival of the New Pastor--
August 18th, Rev. J. B. O'Farrell came to fill the place left vacant by Rev. Clarenback. He paid us a visit and we were happy to welcome him.

It is with pleasure that we received the visit of Sister Wendeslous, Provincial Assistant. A visitor in our little home is always a happy event. We installed her under a tent, since our dormitory is nothing else but an attic, which at this time is not too comfortable at a temperature of 114°. It goes without telling that the system of ventilation is not of the most modern.
    The 23rd of September being the anniversary of our foundress' death, Mother E. Gamelin, we pray this good mother not to forget us from Heaven.
    The work on the new Hospital is advancing rapidly.

October 1st a young man was brought in in a critical stage. After the usual questions he admits that he is a Catholic but did not practice his religion since he was 10 years old and that furthermore he has no faith. With all the good care given him by the Sisters his health improved, and so did his faith and good will return. This morning we had the happiness of seeing our prayers answered. Our patient went to confession and received Holy Communion with great fervor.

November 3rd, we are witnesses of still another conversion from one of our patients who had been away from the Church for many years. He said he had been very unhappy since he neglected his duties as a Christian. Being yet a child he lived in an orphanage, and the day he left one of the Sisters gave him good advice that he said he never forgot, and that is why today he is asking to come back to God and approach the Sacraments.

November 19th we had another visit from Mother Mechtilde of Blessed Sacrament, accompanied by Mother Provincial. The few days they spent with us passed too rapidly.

December 19th a man sick with tuberculosis arrived from the poor house. Since our actual setup does not permit us to admit any such a case, we were obliged to give him our little tent, which serves for dormitory for two of our Sisters. Our poor sick patient shows himself very grateful to be so well taken care of, and like many of them struck with white plague, hope for a prompt return to health. In spite of good care, the cruel malady continues its work of destruction so rapidly that soon the poor man was facing death. Since his entrance to the Hospital he kept saying that he did not belong to any religion, but one day he told someone that his mother was Catholic but he had never been baptized. We proposed to him to see a priest; he accepted with joy. After frequent visits with the patient, Father Galligan gave him the Sacrament of Baptism. The poor dying man appreciated his great favor. During the few weeks that remained for him to live, we often heard him pray and kiss his crucifix, which he kept constantly near him.
    January 15th he received the last rites, and a few days later he died a peaceful death murmuring the names of Jesus and Mary. [This was probably Claud E. Merritt, died January 16; obituary in the Medford Mail Tribune, January 17, 1912, page 5.]

Today, the beautiful feast of Christmas; all is peaceful at home. The arrival of a lovely wax statue of the Infant Jesus, gift of our house in Astoria, and the visit of Santa Claus loaded with presents and provisions of all sorts, that were sent to us from our Portland friends, rapidly change the monotony to give place to a joyful gaiety. Fraternal charity is always ingenious to find a thousand ways to give pleasures.

This evening December 27th our dear Sister M. Crescence and Guy arrived; they came to help us move. We had hoped to spend the New Year in our beautiful red [brick] castle (New Hospital), but it will be only tomorrow that we will move.

Moving and First Mass--
The 2nd of January 1912, after much fatigue and many disappointments, we find ourselves installed in the new Hospital. We are occupying only the fourth floor, since all the work is not yet completed. The next day, January 3rd, feast of St. Genevieve, we have the pleasure of having the Holy Mass for the first time in our new home. May our dear Patroness obtain for us, and to all those who will come after us, a real spirit of our vocation, and may St. Joseph, to whom has been confided the high surveillance of this establishment, continue to take care of our spiritual and temporal affairs.

On February 6th arrived a young man suffering from stomach problems. After giving him all the cares his condition required, we ask him about the state of his soul. He abruptly replied he was a Baptist and ready to die. He went through a surgery which left him not exactly dying, but nervous and very impatient. When his nurse was taking a rest a Sister stayed with him. Since he seemed to be resting she started to say the rosary, asking God, through the intercession of the Blessed Virgin and St. Joseph, to have pity on the dying man. Suddenly he opened his eyes and seemed very different. He asked the Sister, whom he sees so attentive, What are you doing here? I am praying for you, she replied. Oh! I would like to pray also. Immediately I made him repeat spontaneous prayers and tried to make him make the sacrifice of his life. Left to his own thoughts, the dying man asked to be received in our faith. He kisses his crucifix often and repeats with all his heart, "May your will be done, Lord, not mine." He died after being baptized, confessing to all present that he was happy to die a Catholic.

Blessing of the New Hospital--
On February 18th, all took a festive air. Today the Hospital received the blessings of the Church. The event dear to our heart gave us a feeling of stability, of hope and security. The ceremony was presided over by Rev. [Philip] McDavett, D.D., delegate of his excellency Archbishop [Alexander] Christie of Portland, who was unable to come down for the occasion. The Rev. McDavett was accompanied by the Rev. Fathers J. M. O'Farrell, Pastor Galligan, Assistant Mackins, S.J., Lanes and Powers. The Revs. McDavett and O'Farrell addressed the assembly. The Mayor, W. H. Canon, suffering from a loss of voice, asked to be replaced by Mr. [Porter J.] Neff, the town's lawyer. Dr. E. B. Pickel, one of our first doctors, delivered a beautiful address. After the ceremony we gathered in the Chapel for Benediction. Many Sisters from different missions joined us for the occasion; they were Mother Mary of Nazareth, Provincial Supervisor, Sister Wendeslous, Provincial Assistant, Sisters Conrad, Andre, M. Albert and Rasinda.


    On May 11th, it was with pleasure that we received a great benefactress of this mission in the person of Sister Alexander Superior at St. Vincent Hospital, Portland, Oregon. She comes to recuperate from a very bad cold--she has Sister Caron as her companion.

June 6th--feast of Corpus Christi is for our religious personnel of the Hospital a happy day. On that day we had two patients returning to their religious duties after being away for many years. While some of us were in the Chapel keeping company to our Lord in the Blessed Sacrament, four wounded [in a quarry explosion in Jacksonville] are brought in, giving each of us a chance to exercise our zeal.
    Mr. [James] Ryan, a young man 17 years old, was terribly mutilated; he died while we were trying to care for him. He was given conditional absolution. According to the parish register he had made his first Communion only 15 days ago; let us hope he will have a favorable judgment.
    The second patient, Mr. Emile Visineau [the newspapers called him "Emery Vissino"], after receiving the surgical treatments which his condition required, the Sister Supervisor seeing that his death was near, felt some efforts should be made to save his soul. The task was rather difficult, since he had not practiced his religious duties for 40 years, and he doubted the goodness of God, but with prayers and the grace of God working he became reconciled with his Maker and asked for the Sacraments.
    The third one, Mr. [Carl] Burns, a Catholic non-practicing for seven years, shows himself very docile to the voice calling him, and he received the last sacraments with the best sentiments.
    The last survivor of this sad accident is an elderly man 69 years old [John Sutton]. When the Sister nurse had time to visit with him, he expressed the wish to join our faith. The Rev. Father Philips, Redemptorist, our Chaplain, visited with him and found him so well disposed that he administered the Sacrament of Baptism, and the next day he had the joy of receiving Holy Communion, which was granted him many times after. May he find in the divine Eucharist an increase of faith and the strength to suffer with patience the pain which at times is very severe. We cannot stop to admire and thank God who has permitted that these wounded patients were in God's Providence transported here for just this purpose.

It would be too long to enumerate all the gifts received either from our different houses or friends of the Hospital. We will limit the list to the main objects. A gold chalice and ciborium from Archbishop Christie. A statue of St. Joseph from Rev. Father O'Farrell and a statue of the Sacred Heart from Father Van Hivel.
    All season vegetables from the Holy Name Sisters from our Provincial Council, a way of the Cross, a table and a clock for our Community and many books for our library.
    From St. Vincent Hospital, the sanctuary lamp, sacred linens in sufficient quantity, and at least a dozen boxes filled with provisions and things of all sorts.
    Providence Hospital, Oakland, California--a state of Our Lady of Seven Dolors, the monstrance and many boxes filled with provisions and utensils of all sorts for the care of our patients.
    St. Eugene Hospital, Cranbrook, B.C.--a ciborium, six candlesticks with Crucifix, two chasubles and accessories, one alb, some linens for the Sisters and a scale for the pharmacy.
    The Mission St. Eugene in Kootenay, B.C.--linens for the Sisters and $25.00.
    St. Paul Hospital, Vancouver, B.C.--linens for the Sisters, a magnificent lace border for alb.
    St. Mary's Hospital, New Westminster, B.C.--the sum of $40.00.
    St. Mary's Hospital, Astoria, Oregon--two beautiful chasubles and their accessories, a small wax Holy Child Jesus, chairs for our Community and two or three boxes filled with linen of all sorts.
    Mrs. J. F. Reddy--the main altar.
    Mrs. Clifford of Vancouver, B.C.--two pedestals.
    Dr. R. J. Conroy--furniture for the main surgery.
    Dr. E. R. Seely--a surgery table.
    Sister M. Conrad--an organ.
    Miss Kate McAndrew and her sister Mrs. Burroughs--$200.00 for the chapel pews.
    Besides these many gifts--eight private rooms were furnished by friends of the Institution.

Personnel and Works--1911-1912
Vocal sister . . . . . . . . . . . .
 . . . . . . . . . . . . .     7
Coadjutrix sister . . . . .
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .     1
Lay nurses  . . . . . . . . . . .
 . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .     3
Male nurse . . . . . . . . . . . .
. . . . . . . . . . . . . .     1
Salaried employees . .
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .     2
Orphan girl . . . . . . . . . . . .
 . . . . . . . . . . . . . .     1
Patients admitted . . . . . . . .
 . . . . . . . . . . . . .301
Boarders . . . . . . . . . . . .
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .  48
Clerical boarders . . . . .
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .     2
Visits to patients in their homes .
. . . . . . . .  18
Night watches in the establishment.
 . . . . . .880
Deaths . . . . . . . . . . . .
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .  25
Meals given to the poor  . .
. . . . . . . . . . . . .350
Families assisted  . . .
. . . . . . . . . .. . . . . . . .     2
Money and articles given to the poor . .$25.00
Prescription services to the poor .
 . . . . . . .  10
                                                                    Sister Pascal

July 1, 1912 to July 1, 1913
    The first months of the year have passed without any special events. A very small number of patients were admitted during the summer. Our confidence in Divine Providence was being put to the test since we were not even assured of any money for our daily bread. The people have been very generous in sending us fruits and vegetables. A farmer, Mr. McAndrew, gave for our two cows all the hay for the winter season.

In November His Excellency Bishop Christie sent us Rev. J. J. Gallagher for Chaplain, while trying to improve his health. This good father is very zealous to visit and instruct patients and to give us our religious services.
    After the feast of Sacred Heart, Father left us to go and visit his brother and sister.
    The last Friday in June the Rev. Father Hendrick arrived. He is an elderly 72-year-old priest. We are thankful to have a Chaplain. Since the Church is at a distance we cannot attend Mass every day, and we cannot have the Holy Sacrifice of the Mass but only twice a week.

There are many spiritual consolations while taking care of the sick--here are a few.
    On May 13th, Mrs. Davis, French born, received the Sacraments before leaving the Hospital. It was over 20 years since she had practiced her religion. While convalescing she studied her prayers and catechism in order to prepare herself for the reception of the Sacraments.
    Mrs. G. Dowal, nephew of the late Mrs. Fiscol Dowal, was brought in suffering from a strangulated hernia. Surgery was deemed urgently needed. He made his confession of two years on the surgery table. He prepared himself with sincere faith, remembering the lessons received while at St. Patrick Orphanage in Montreal. As soon as his health improved our Superior Sister Praxedes gave him clothes and some work. He was very grateful for all that had been done for him.
    Mr. Jones, a tubercular patient, is no stranger to our Hospital, having been a patient a few times. His wife was a Catholic and had died two years ago. Sensing his death was near, our patient wanted to join his wife in Heaven. Knowing our faith he asked for
Baptism, which he received on the eve of his death May 14th.
    During the month of June we had two other conversions. Mr. T. Miller being between life and death for many days, the frequent visits of the Sisters and of the Chaplain encouraged him to become a member of our faith. At a time of great suffering, fearing for his life, the Chaplain was called in. Knowing of his desire to accept the faith, he was given the Sacrament of Baptism.

Mr. M. Hall's grandmother was a Catholic. As it often happens with mixed marriages, the children were raised without religion. His mother, a Protestant, left the children the choice of their religion. Seeing her son dying, she regrets her indifference and receives the Priest with happiness. Father baptizes the patient and prepares him to receive the last Sacraments. During his recovery both he and the mother studied their catechism in order to understand better the Catholic faith.

Being so far away in Oregon, visitors are always welcomed. In November, Archbishop Christie while passing through Medford stopped to see us. He gave us the Benediction of the Blessed Sacrament and spent an evening's recreation in our Community Room.
    A few months later Bishop Rawa spent two days with us. While here he said Mass and paid us a visit in our Community Room.
    In June, Sister Leopoldine spent a Sunday with us, being on her way to Oakland, California.

The last day of August, we received a circular letter containing the new division of the Provinces and the changes of our local Superiors. Under the new division we are placed under the care of Mother James Kisai, Provincial Superior of Sacred Heart Province. It is a sacrifice one way or another to lose Mother Mary of Nazareth and most of all to see our Portland Provincialate close its doors and disappear. Though we were happy under the care of St. Vincent we are nevertheless happy to be under the patronage of the Sacred Heart.
    Sisters Catherine of Siena, Joseph Albert, Marie de Socas and Louise d'Alberten will remain here for a short while before returning to their mission. Two of the foundresses of this house, Sisters Pascal and Wilhelmina, will be leaving us soon foe another mission. Their new replacements are Sisters Isidora, Cecilien, Christina and Claire d'Assise.

Personnel and Our Works--
Vocal sisters . . . . . . . . . . . .
 . . . . . . . . . . . . .        8
Coadjutrix sister . . . . . .
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .          1
Lay nurses, female . . . . . . . . . . .
 . . . . . . . . .          6
Lay nurse, male. . . . . . . . .
. . . . . . . . . . . . . .         1
Salaried employees  . .
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .        2
Aged man
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .         1
Orphan girl. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .         1
Patients admitted  . . . . . . . .
 . . . . . . . . . . . . .   346
Boarders  . . . . . . . . . . . .
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .     47
Clerical boarder  . . . . . .
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .          1
Visits to patients in their homes .
. . . . . . . .     22
Night watches in the establishment.
 . . . . . .1,023
Deaths . . . . . . . . . . . .
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .      19
Meals given to the poor  . .
. . . . . . . . . . . . .    375
Money and articles given to the poor . . . .$35.00
Free prescriptions  .
 . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .      45
                                                          Sister Clare of Assisi
                                                          Secretary                                                                                                                             Sister Praxedes of Providence

July 1, 1913 to July 1, 1914
Patronal Feasts--
    July brings back happy days. Today is the feast of St. Vincent de Paul; we will try to celebrate it. The Rev. Father O'Neil, the pastor of the parish, came to give us the benediction of the Blessed Sacrament, and Rev. Father Hendricks took care of the music and singing.
    The 21st of July feast of St. Praxedes, patron saint of our local Superior, this day was greeted with joy by our religious family. In our poverty we had nothing to offer our Superior but a spiritual banquet. We tried very hard to take some time off to celebrate with her. The Rev. Father Snyderborn made a gift of a pyx and of a vial for holy oil for our Chaplain's use. Sister Roseanna, local Superior of Vancouver Academy, sent us articles for our coming bazaar, also a half dozen amices. Our sisters from Portland also sent us a box filled with needed objects for the bazaar. During the month of August we received another box of needed articles for each office; no one was forgotten. This we owe to the generosity of Sister Gaspard, Superior and Sister Wilhelmina, who still remembers and loves her first mission.
    All our thanks goes out to them for their generous gifts which are so much appreciated in our poor mission.

August 21, Sister Praxedes, our Superior, was on her way to Vancouver to attend the funeral of Sister Hyacinth, Sister Isidora's sister. This last one had spent the last few days at the bedside of her dying sister. Sister Hyacinth had just celebrated her golden jubilee barely a year ago.

Medical Convention--
On September 18, 19 and 20 we had a medical convention in Medford. Three renowned doctors operated in our surgery. They were Drs. [A. E.] Rockey and [W. B.] Coffey of Portland and Dr. [J. H.] Beckman of Rochester. A great number of the doctors visited the Hospital and gave us complimentary comments; they also praised our splendid location and the ideal climate of Medford. The patients were attracted by these famous doctors; our census rose to 20 patients following this convention. This revived our hope, but it was a very short duration. By October 19th we had only 7 patients under our care.

The Rev. Father Hendricks, our Chaplain, left us in the middle of August for his homeland, Holland, where he was needed to settle family affairs. A few weeks later the Rev. Father Snyderborn, vicar at the parish, was being replaced by Father Meagher, who had just recently arrived from Ireland. These fathers are very devoted to the spiritual need of the Hospital--we owe them a debt of gratitude.

Toward the end of October Sister Praxedes of Providence, our Superior, while taking our dear Sister Louis Alphonse to Vancouver, told us on her return of the nomination of Mother Vincent Ferrier as Provincial Superior of our Province. She will replace our Mother James Kisai, who is very ill. We sent our letter of congratulations to our new Provincial, assuring her of our love and good will. We also expressed our thanks and gratitude to Mother James Kisai for all she had done for our Province and to each of us in particular, assuring her of our prayers and good wishes for her health and happiness.

Our bazaar took place the last week of November under the chairmanship of Mrs. J. Reddy. [See Medford Mail Tribune, November 25, 1913, page 6.] The Altar Society, the Crater Club of Medford, the Colony Club, St. Mary's Academy, the nurses and the young girls of the city divided the many tables between themselves. A spacious hall near the post office was put to our disposal free of charge. St. Mary's Academy's table is trimmed with Elks colors and flag. Their table contains fancy objects made and given by the Holy Name Sisters and their students, such as embroidery, laces, paintings, porcelain hand screens, etc. The main attraction is a doll the size of a two-year-old child wearing a complete winter wardrobe. It brought in a good amount of money. The Crater Medford Club had an assortment of clothing and many other articles. The Colony Club was decorated in white streamers with ivy runners. There one could find dolls of all sizes from a newborn to a bride in silk gown. They also had grab bags of all sorts. Their table made the most money. Five of the dolls brought in the sum of $300.00.
    The nurses decorated their table with white and blue streamers, which was very attractive. The table contains all sorts of lingerie, baby sets and toilet articles.
    The cigar and candy display was decorated with white and red streamers and ivy garnish. Many young girls attended it and proved themselves very devoted.
    Lunch and dinner were served on an inside balcony all decorated with greens and redwood. The Altar Society ladies were in charge of the kitchen and the tables.
    The fish pond under a purple curtain attracted the children. A Catholic lady directed all the fish hooks.
    A couple of fortune tellers from Arabia could tell fortune and future. They kept themselves in mysterious booths covered with precious cloth and Egyptian characters and signs, under the watchful guard of the high priest of ancient times.
    Another subject of attraction was the skee ball game. Ten cents bought three balls, which were thrown towards kewpie dolls aligned on a spigot. If a ball hit a doll and made it spin, the player was entitled to a prize; cigars, gum or candy. The men and children enjoyed the game very much.
    We hardly know how to express our thanks for the success of this first public appeal for charity. All commercial institutions, all nationalities contributed in some fashion. We kept in a separate book the names of the donors and the nature of their gifts during the preparatory collection for the bazaar. The names and members of different committees were also registered. We hope that this good work will make prejudice disappear. The bazaar netted the sum of $2,000.00.
    Mrs. J. F. Reddy's name occupies a place of honor among our benefactresses. Daughter of a wealthy banker from Spokane, she had a great influence among the citizens of Medford, and she used her influence to benefit the common good. Her spirit of faith gave credit to God for all His care. He Himself will be her reward.

During the summer season the fruit is plentiful and the people are very generous toward us. Mr. G. Connor gave us 35 boxes of peaches that we went picking in his orchard at about 15 miles from here. He came to pick us up in his own car.
    A farmer gave 15 boxes of winter pears. After loading 21 cars of apples for exportation Mr. H. Hanley invited us to choose second-quality apples. We brought back 50 boxes.
    The Holy Name Sisters gave us a good supply of tomatoes. Mr. McAndrew gave us enough hay for our cows to last the winter months.
    At Christmas time Mr. J. Wold, pharmacist [Jonas Wold of the Medford Pharmacy], gave 12 thermometers.
    Drs. [E. R.] Seely, [J. J.] Emmens and Polenitz gave each a box of oranges.
    I almost forgot to tell you about our old friend "Slat Slat," a horse belonging to Dr. Conroy. Ruined by his frequent trips to the sick, now unable to perform his task, he was given to the Hospital by his master. He still can earn his keep by making trips to town. We were in need of a carriage and a harness; a friend found one for a low price. This is a reminder to us of the famous state coach of St. Vincent de Paul.
    The carriage has only one seat. The driver stands in the back of the Sister who occupies the only seat. After many weeks the carriage got painted and a second seat was added; it is so much better than walking miles to the public market or the train depot.
    May all our benefactors accept our gratitude an an assurance of a remembrance in our prayers. From all these temporal benefits let us not forget the most precious gift of divine grace which purifies and fortifies the soul. The saving of souls should be the most cherished dream in the life of a Sister of Charity.

First Communion--
July 22nd a Mr. Hall, a hemophiliac for two months, had the pleasure of making his first communion. He died after many days of suffering, full of hope in the eternal rest.
    On October 13th a little boy 12 years of age, W. Armstrong, was baptized by our Chaplain and died on the 17th of the same month. [William C. Armstrong died after an operation for appendicitis.]
    On October 18th, Mr. Linkeen received Holy Communion. It had been eight years since his last confession.
    One night in July a patient [Mrs. Minnie Scott Theiss] with a renal shutdown and convulsing was admitted. They are giving her only a few hours to live; she is a Catholic, so is her husband. The daughter made her first Communion, but now her beliefs are in the Christian Science. Results from misunderstanding and stubbornness, the whole family left the church. What can be done? The patient is unconscious. We ask the prayers of our Chaplain and placed a medal of the Blessed Mother on her pillow. We warn the husband of her extreme danger; on first thought he forbade the priest to come near, but by some miracle the patient improved and her husband gave in and told us to call the priest if she regains consciousness. Around 10 a.m., the patient was well enough to make a good confession and to receive the last rites. This conversion was considered a gift to her for all the acts of charity towards the priests. In the first year of settlement the house of Mrs. Theiss was always a stopping place for the missionaries. She always received them generously and with great respect. In thanksgiving for this favor a beautiful picture of the Sacred Heart has been placed in one of the halls.

Another striking conversion was Mr. Hurtle. Coming to the hospital at the end of November, the patient was to undergo a critical surgery. On his arrival the Sister nurse explained to him the seriousness of his illness and asked him if he wished to see a priest. His answer was, "I take full responsibility for the welfare of my soul." The Chaplain visited him often and he always repeats, "My conscience does not reproach me anything. I do not need to go to confession." He left the hospital surprised at his quick recovery. At the end of January he returned for minor surgery. On waking up from the anesthetic he looked for the Crucifix of the Sister who was watching at his bedside. He said to her that he had a dream and wanted to see the priest. For ten days he studied his prayers and his catechism. On the first Friday of the month he received Holy Communion, made one hour of adoration before the Blessed Sacrament and left the Hospital with a heart full of joy. Since then he has given a $25.00 offering to the establishment in thanksgiving for favors received; he is now a fervent Catholic in the parish.
    In May, a patient living at about 30 miles from the church was admitted to the Hospital. The Sister who received her asked if she had made her Easter duties. On her negative answer, she suggested to her that it might be a good time to do so now before going to surgery. The patient agreed to it; a few hours later she admits she had not practiced her religion for 16 years. These few examples are showing us how much good there is to be done around the patients.

Official Visit--
The first official visit since the foundation of the Hospital was made by Mother Vincent Ferrier, at the end of May. This good Mother exhorted us to confidence in Divine Providence, promising us better days if we were good to the poor and faithful to our rules. She suggested that we sell flowers in honor of St. Joseph in order to help the country's poor. She gave us a gift of a gas stove for the Sisters' pantry and four cotton blankets to wrap up patients after surgery to prevent from burning them with hot water bottles. Everyone seemed pleased with her visit. Let us hope it will bear fruit.
    Mother Mary Wilfred came to spend two weeks rest after her retreat. We have enjoyed her joviality and her musical talent.
    Three other Sisters were sent here also to regain their health, Sisters Louise Alphonse, Lepage and Rosalia. This last one is still with us to regain her health.

Personnel and Works--

Vocal sister . . . . . . . . . . . . .
 . . . . . . . . . . . . .       9
Coadjutrix sister . . . . . .
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .       1
Nurses  . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
 . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .       7
Employees . . . . . . . . . .
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .       3
Aged man .
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .        1
Orphan . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .        1
Patients admitted  . . . . . . . .
 . . . . . . . . . . . . .  357
Boarders  . . . . . . . . . . . .
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .    52
Clerical boarder  . . . . .
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .       1
Visits to patients in their homes .
. . . . . . . .    16
Night watches in the establishment.
 . . . . . .1276
Night watches in the home  . . . . . . . . . . . . .     24
Deaths . . . . . . . . . . . .
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .     12
Meals given to the poor  . .
. . . . . . . . . . . . .   380
Money given to the poor . . . . . . . . . . . . . $15.00
                                                          Sister Claire d'Assise
                                                          Secretary                                                                                                                             Sister Praxedes of Providence

July 1, 1914 to July 1, 1915
Patronal Feast--
    The first important event of this historic year was the feast of St. Praxedes, patronal feast day of our dear Superior Filial. Love, thanksgiving and joy marked the day. We had benediction of the Blessed Sacrament and a talk given by Rev. O'Neil, pastor of our parish. This good father brings out the virtues of this Saint, which is a beautiful model for a Sister of Providence. Mr. T. McGaiety, our night watchman, made us a gift of two adoring angels with candelabras. Mrs. J. F. Reddy, a bank note of $10.00. On our part we had only three flower vases adorned with vine branches and a few roses to offer our Superior with the wish that the vine will soon produce fruits which will be a comfort to all those living under its shadow.

    On August 13th, Sisters Isidore and Cecilien left for Montreal; the first one will remain in Canada. She had three years since consoled her aged and suffering sisters, closed the eyes of her dear sister Hyacinth, and edified us by her devotedness and spiritual life.
    Sister Cecilien will return after visiting with her family, which she had left 15 years ago. In memory of her trip home this dear Sister gave us a golden chalice, gift of her family at the cost of $65.00. We received it on Christmas Day. May we, on this beautiful day, offer to the Infant Child our chalice of little trials and sacrifices in exchange for the blessings of Heaven.

July 30th the Sisters went on a picnic at the reservoir where was found shade, coolness and rest while enjoying a delicious picnic lunch.
    On August the 12th we had a picnic for our nurses. It is their second this year. These nurses who have worked so hard, a recreation of this kind is a good stimulant for them.

On September 12th Mr. [John A.] Westerlund gave us all the fallen apples we could pick in his orchard of 1200 acres. Some of the Sisters with the help of the nurses gathered a good supply. A few days later Dr. H. Hart [Henry Hart] gave us 28 boxes of apples of the first quality. Santa Claus was also very generous. We received as gifts more than $80.00 in money, plus clothing, fruit and candy.
    Mother Vincent Ferrier, Provincial Superior, gave us a bolt of printed calico to make nightgowns. Our Sisters from Portland sent us a box full of valuable objects and some goodies. The Oakland Hospital, a large basket of food.

In the course of October, the county commissioners announced they were going to make an evaluation of our property for tax purposes. Mrs. J. F. Reddy acted as our advocate. At the city hall she explained the purpose of her proceedings, then a Mr. Bert Anderson, owner of much property, forgot his own cause and pleaded for ours with animation. A tax exemption was granted to everyone's surprise; we had not realized we had such a friend. We had a Mass said in thanksgiving, and we sent Mrs. Reddy and Mr. Anderson a letter of thanks.
    About the same time the Jackson County Bank refused to exchange for cash our checks from the county, a service that was rendered to us up to this time. It was really a trial, since we needed the money so badly. We addressed ourselves to St. Antony by a fervent novena; the novena was barely ended that the National Bank of Medford agreed to receive these checks with no discount, through the medium of Mr. John S. Orth, their treasurer. God wanted us to go through another trial. When it was questioned to renew our contract for the care of the indigents and the sick of the county, we presented our petition proposing to take care of the poor at a minimum cost. The conditions seemed advantageous to the county commissioners, but religious intolerance alarmed the Protestant ministers, who presented a request asking that all the poor should not be confided to the Sisters' care in fear they will make Catholics out of them. These officers did not have enough strength to resist these false pretexts, and the contract is renewed with a secular who cannot give care to these poor people at a price lower than the Hospital Sisters. A daily journal raised an eloquent voice in our behalf without satisfactory results.

December 7th, Mother Vincent Ferrier, Provincial Superior, paid us a visit accompanied by Mother Alexander, local Superior in Portland. She gave us a conference on charity and mutual support. After the spring retreat, Mother Mary of Nazareth, Superior of Providence Hospital, Oakland, spent a few days with us while on her way to Oakland. Our dear Sisters Lea, Mary of the Eucharist, Diomina and Tronklin are enjoying our climate while trying to regain their health.

December 23rd, Miss Violet Caskey, a nurse, received baptism in the presence of the Sisters and her nurse companions. A big dinner for her and the nurses was served after the ceremony. She seemed so happy that everyone rejoiced with her on this happy occasion. We had Midnight Mass in our Chapel. We tried to keep it a secret, but a few people from the outside guessed it and came to greet the Infant Child when he appeared in His humble crib. Miss Caskey, our convert, played some Christmas hymns; no doubt her soul was full of gratitude, as she will receive Christ for the first time. At the same Mass, Mr. J. Kelly, an elderly man of 63 years, approached the Sacraments for the first time since his first Communion. Both of them were well prepared for this occasion by special instructions given by Rev. Father J. W. Meagher, our Chaplain.
    Mr. James Wood, suffering from heart ailment, approached the Sacraments after 12 years, and many times afterwards during his hospitalization.
    In May, Mrs. T. Corum was brought in very ill. She was divorced and remarried outside the Church for seven years. After the death of her husband she was free to return to the Sacraments. The mother, also a fallen-away Catholic, was at her bedside ignoring for many years the consolation the Church offers her children. The Chaplain visited them often and gave them good advices and instructions. Before leaving the Hospital both mother and daughter returned to the Fold.

Easter, which is always greeted with a happy note, reserved us a surprise. Mother Vincent Ferrier, our Provincial Supervisor, along with her good wishes sent us new cards for our Community hymns; it is her Easter gift. We made it a duty to sing the glory of God in the manner required by our superiors, assured that our submission would win for us precious favors.
    In May we also received the English manual of prayers; this book will settle the manner of reciting our prayers in order to edify those who listen to them, and it makes it easier to elevate our souls to God. A word of thanks goes out to our Community, who gave us so many ways to perfect ourselves.

The 8th of June, three student nurses who had passed their Hospital exams successfully received their diplomas and the gold medal adopted by the Institution. At the request of one of our doctors, St. Mark Hall is put to our use by the Episcopal Church. Mrs. Brackenreed, president of the Dramatic League, being under our care, agreed to furnish the musical program, which was performed beautifully. Dr. E. B. Pickel opened the ceremony, and Dr. J. J. Emmens delivered the graduation address and presented their diplomas with much charm and eloquence. Dr. R. J. Conroy presented them with a gold medal, gift of Mrs. G. Carpenter, one of our benefactresses. The Rev. J. H. Powers, D.P., pastor of the parish, spoke in practical terms giving the profession of these young girls a glow of faith and love which will make them see the suffering humanity as the suffering members of Christ. We were thankful to all and everyone to have made this graduation a day of feast, joy and success.
    The graduates were: Misses
            Angeline Provost, Ashland
            Mary Bacba de Little, Shasta, California
            Ada Hamelin, Medford

During the course of the year our Sisters Cecilien and Christina left us at the call of obedience. They were replaced by Sisters Louis Henry and Mary Norbert. Sister Hughes spent only six months with us, coming from Canada--when she left she was not replaced.
    Reverend Fathers De la Mothe and Sullivan, S.J., spent ten days with us, coming back from California. They enjoyed our beautiful climate. Father De la Mothe gave us interesting talks regarding the church, our Holy Father and their Superior General.

Personnel and Works--
Vocal sisters  . . . . . . . . . . . .
 . . . . . . . . . . . . .        8
Coadjutrix sisters  . . . . .
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .        2
Nurses  . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
 . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .         8
mployees . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .        2
Aged man  .
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .         1
Patients admitted . . . . . . . . .
 . . . . . . . . . . . . .   392
Boarders . . . . . . . . . . . . .
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .     20
 . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .         1
Visits to patients in their homes  .
. . . . . . . .       9
Night watches in the establishment.
 . . . . . .1,000
Deaths  . . . . . . . . . . . .
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .     15
Meals given to the poor . . .
. . . . . . . . . . . . .1,100
Money given to the poor  . . . . . . . . . . . . . .$15.00
Free hospitalization . . . . . . . . . . . .
 . . . . . . .    296
                                                              Sister Clare of Assisi

July 1, 1915 to July 1, 1916
    In our beautiful flowering valley, which lies at the foot of the Siskiyou Mountains, summer is far advanced in July, and already the bright warm rays of the sun from out [of] skies of clearest blue bring God's blessing on orchard and garden, for He giveth the increase, though man may plant and water.
    To help our nurses enjoy these beauties of nature and at the same time [give] them an outing, they were permitted to spend July 17th in Ashland Park, twelve miles from Medford, being conducted thither in autos by the good doctors who were pleased to be asked to render this little service. Our Reverend Chaplain paid a visit to the picnic ground during the afternoon, taking photos of all the party.

Sister Superior East--
July 21st being the feast day of our beloved Sister Superior Sister Praxedes of Providence, the occasion was duly celebrated, Mass being offered for her intention and the singing rendered by our nurses. Amongst the useful gifts presented was a typewriter given by our Reverend Chaplain Father Meagher.

Sister Rosalia Is Anointed--
July 23rd our dear little sufferer Sister M. Rosalia received the Sacrament of Extreme Unction in presence of all the Sisters. Her perfect calm and self-possession when reciting her Vows was sweetly edifying, though her voice was scarcely audible. Our dear Lord permitted her to remain with us some months longer, however.

Gift of a Sterilizer--
Divine Providence continues to shower His benefits upon our mission, for we received on July 24th from the good Superior of Providence Hospital (Sister M. Eugene), Seattle, a linen sterilizer for our new surgery. We are most grateful for the gift.

Sister Superior Named Provincial of Holy Angels Province--
During August we had intended to chronicle only the joyous tones of Jubilee bells for our dear Sister Superior Sister Praxedes of Providence's twenty-fifth anniversary. Before August 11th there came word from the Mother House that the Holy Ghost had spoken that our Superior was named Provincial of the Holy Angels Province, that soon we were to lose our Mother, to lose her who had founded our Mission, had spent four years of religious life and had been all a Superior could be to her little family. She had borne the weight of responsibility well and generously, and her humble, edifying manner would be missed by all. It was a trial for us, but recognizing the Adorable Providence of God, who does all things for the best, we submitted and bade her farewell. August 18th, on which date she left for British Columbia via Portland, Sister Louise Ernestine accompanied her to the Provincial House in Vancouver, Wash.

Jubilee Bell--
Sister Alexander, Sister Superior of St. Vincent's Hospital, Portland, sent a sweet-toned bell for the above occasion. We are awaiting the arrival of His Grace Archbishop Christie or a delegate to bless the bell and trust to have the pleasure of chronicling the event next year.

New Superior--
August 20th our new Sister Superior, Sister Petronilla, came to assume the charge which God's Holy Will had placed upon her.

September 1st Mrs. [Catherine] Williams, a German woman aged 49 years, of German extraction, entered the Hospital suffering from cancer in an advanced stage, so she had been refused admittance into a private hospital in a nearby town on account of her present poverty. We were glad to be able to offer her assistance. She was placed in a ward and after Sister questioned her, she admitted that she had been a Catholic, had not practiced since very young, and had in fact forgotten almost everything. How good Almighty God is to permit us to be the instruments to bring back souls to Him.
    Our Chaplain requested a Jesuit Father who was visiting us to instruct her, and the latter gladly did so, remarking that it was well worthwhile to capture such a "big fish." Mrs. Williams passed away on Sept. 9th after being received [of] Holy Communion and Extreme Unction.
    Another consolation was to see Mr. A. Sotti, ex-patient, return to his religious duties after a lapse of twelve years. He promised us to take his three young children from a Protestant woman and place them in a Catholic orphanage.
    Mr. G. W. Jennings, who had twice been a patient and had been deeply impressed by his surroundings while here, asked for baptism, which was administered by our worthy Chaplain. Mr. Jennings expressed the desire that his wife and children would follow his example.
    Mr. J. Kelly, a laborer who had not been to confession for more than forty years, in fact, since our Lord first entered his heart, became reconciled while a patient and could not sufficiently express his gratitude for so great a peace.

Mr. Martin Reddy, the brother of one of our good residents here, was brought as a patient on Dec. 23rd after our economist, Sister Claire of Assisi, had visited him at home. Mr. Reddy had quite rebelled at the thought of dying, not believing himself in imminent danger, and had put off for eight years going to confession. We prayed most earnestly for him that evening and when the Chaplain asked him to make his peace with God, telling him he must do so or he would be lost, Mr. Reddy seemed only then to realize how ill he was and quickly made a most fervent confession, breathing forth his soul into the Hands of His maker the following morning with full confidence in His infinite Mercy.

Visit of Mother M. Melanie--
September 9th our dear Mother M. Melanie as delegate for our Mother General, accompanied by her faithful companion Sister M. Olive, brought us happiness though we would love to have seen once more the face and hear the voice of her who in our beloved Community holds the place of the Blessed Virgin. We were grateful and happy in the choice she had made of her worthy substitute. For two days, all too short, our hearts were gladdened by the presence of these two good mothers, who had spent the early years of their religious life in the western missions.

Departure for Montreal--
September 10th witnessed the departure of our amiable night nurse Sister Joseph Cupertino for a visit to Montreal and her dear relatives [in] Massachusetts after seventeen years of separation. Being one of our foundresses we almost counted the days, ninety in number, till her return.

Arrival of Sister--
On the same day towards the evening we embraced our new missionary Sister Armandine, who had come to us all the way from the sunny Spokane, bringing with her all the ardor of youth and the sunshine of her nature.

Loss of Livestock--
October 24th our little family were surprised on learning that one of our cows, the horse and light wagon were missing from the barn. Immediately we sent notification to the Chief of Police and had recourse to prayer, promising two Masses in honor of Sacred Heart for the souls in purgatory, also thanksgiving in the Messenger of the Sacred Heart should we recover the stolen property. Our confidence was soon rewarded, for in less than two days all the goods were returned safely to us, having been taken away and sold by a former employee.

Renovation of Vows--
The feast of St. Elizabeth, our patron, witnessed in our chapel the renewal of temporary vows of Sister Armandine, which she pronounced after Mass. She pronounced them in English so clearly that our Catholic nurses present were much impressed.

December 2nd brought with it the pleasure of receiving into our religious family Sister Oswald, one of our pioneer Sisters of the fair Montana.
    Our dear Sister M. Rosalia was taken Dec. 20th to Portland for special treatment but succumbed in less than two weeks. We had earnestly hoped she might remain with us, still one hope of recovery was held out to her, and she felt it her duty to embrace it so that she could work again for our dear Lord, but He willed otherwise, taking her to Himself instead.

Our Christmas was a peaceful, happy one; midnight Mass during which we received Holy Communion, sang our carols to our Infant Savior and this followed by a second Mass at 6:30 a.m., comprised our spiritual feast.
    A Christmas tree decorated for the nurses and our few employees gave pleasure to those who participated.
    We were the recipients of the bounty of not a few of our doctors and former patients who kindly remembered us by sending Christmas dainties and fruit in season for the Sisters and nurses.

Training School--
January 2nd the good tidings were conveyed to us that our training school was recognized as a registered institution which places it on a more firm footing and enables our graduates to take the state examination for certificates as registered nurses. Mrs. O. Osborne, who is the secretary of the Board of Registered Nurses, resides in Medford and aided materially in obtaining this favor for our Hospital.

Visit of Archbishop Hanna--
February 15th, His Grace Archbishop Hanna of San Francisco passed through our fair city and was escorted to our Hospital for a short visit by our good parish priest, Rev. [John] Powers. His Grace was not a little surprised to find such a beautiful building and assured us that we were doing our Lord's work; he spent a brief half-hour in our Community, leaving his blessing and a peaceful remembrance.

Our local election for a delegate to the Provincial Chapter took place at 8 p.m., resulting in the naming of our esteemed Procumtor, Sister Claire of Assisi, delegate Sister Oswald substitute.

After the April retreat our dear Sister M. Norbert and Armandine were informed of a change of mission to the astonishment of both, but our Lord has amply repaid them for their generosity as they are again happy in their new homes far from us. Sister Francis Arthur came on April 25th to replace Sister M. Norbert, and we certainly have an excellent reason to believe she will love our humble home quite as well as her first mission, Spokane, and that her sacrifice will be rewarded.

Nurses' Graduation--
In the evening of May 25th our two nurses Misses Agnes and Anna Broad were granted graduating honors. Dr. E. B. Pickel presented them the diplomas and spoke a few words, but it remained for Rev. Father Dalphin of Ashland and Mr. Holbrook Withington to sound loudly the appreciation of our work and endeavor for poor, suffering humanity. The medals were the gift of a friend, Mrs. G. Carpenter. As the nurses are sisters and Catholics, we are quite convinced they will always strive to put into practice the lessons of devotion taught by our Sisters.
    During the months of May and June, we were favored in having the blessing of the Blessed Sacrament each day; the altar being tastily and profusely decorated with flowers, as they are everywhere in abundance and delight our eyes no greater than when at our Lord's or His Holy Mother's feet.
    On June 25th the Sunday within the Octave of Corpus Christi was celebrated for the first time in our Hospital the opening of the Forty-Hour Devotion. With prayers and song and hours of silent adoration did we pass those three days of happiness with our Divine Guest to render Him the homage He fails to receive from so many of His creatures and to beg of His Eucharistic Heart continuance of His blessing on our Community in general and each one in particular.
    The feast of the Sacred Heart of Jesus, of our Province and of our Hospital terminating the month of Jesus, we again consecrated our hearts to His Divine Heart to work only for His glory and the salvation of souls. May He grant us this grace.

Personnel and Works--
Vocal sisters. . . . . . . . . . . . .
 . . . . . . . . . . . . .      7
Coadjutrix sister  . . . . .
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .      1
Nurses  . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
 . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .      7
mployees . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .       3
Employees per year 
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .        1
No. beds for poor . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .     10
Aged man .
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .        1
Patients admitted during the year  . . . 
. . . . .  324
Patients in hospital July 1st . . . . . . . . . . . . .     11
Beds in hospital. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .     60

Chaplain . .
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .        1
Sick in homes . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .       7
Visits in homes . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .    25
Night watches at homes by nurses. . . . . . . .    15
Night watches in the establishment.
 . . . . . .1095
Deaths  . . . . . . . . . . . .
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .    12
Meals given to poor . . . . . .
. . . . . . . . . . . . .  150
Alms in money and effects to poor  . . . . . .2000
                                                              For the secretariat
                                                              Sister Petronilla, Supr.                                

July 1, 1916 to July 1, 1917
General Election--
    On July 5th, we received a phone call in early afternoon giving us the results of the general elections. Our Lord had heard our prayers by keeping Mother Mary Julian as our Superior General. We hastened to send our congratulations, our good wishes and our prayerful support. We accepted also with love and respect the other members of the General Council; our affection and gratitude goes out to those leaving the Council as well as to those coming in to replace them.
    The election of Mother Alexander as the 4th General Assistant was for us a cause of joy, but also of sacrifice. She was the visible presence of Providence in our house since its foundation. Her absence will be felt, but the authority she received today will permit her to watch in a special manner for the interest of our Hospital.

On July 24th, we learned that our dear Superior, Sister Petronilla, was chosen to replace Mother Alexander at St. Vincent Hospital. Barely a year with us, she knew how to gain love and respect from all by her gentle but firm leadership. She left us on July 26th.
    July 30th, Sister Andrew came to take charge of our Hospital. We greeted our new Superior with joy and wished her courage to accept all the inconveniences that are part of a new mission, especially a poor hospital.

We had the pleasure of giving hospitality to Rev. Father Durny S.J. for nine weeks. He benefited from his stay under our ideal weather; his health continued to improve.
    The health of our Chaplain, Rev. Father Meagher, being more and more alarming, he decided to take a complete rest. He stayed three months under a specialist's care at St. Vincent Hospital, where he was received with cordiality and respect.
    The Rev. Father Lacroix, cousin of the deceased Bishop Faber, replaced him as Chaplain on May 6th. His Excellency Bishop Christie was our guest during his pastoral visit. We had the pleasure of having a visit with him in our Community Room during the evening and a friendly chat the next day in his parlor while awaiting his departure.
    His Excellency gave us permission to have the exposition of the Blessed Sacrament a few hours on Sunday as long as the war lasted. May Jesus, the God of Peace, answer our humble prayers as He has promised to those of good will.

Official Visit--
June 6th, Mother Vincent Ferrier, Provincial Superior, made the official visit of our house, accompanied by her devoted secretary Sister Marcien. This good Mother recommends special fidelity to our Constitutions and mutual support. She seemed satisfied with our works and enjoyed our climate and the beauty of nature which enchants everyone at this time of the year.

Sister Andrew, our local Superior, was granted the favor of a trip to Canada during the year. She was very thankful for the consolation felt to visit her family.
    Our dear Sister Oswald left us for another mission, at the beginning of autumn. Sister Rita came in January to renew her strength in the good Southern Oregon air and sunshine; it is our hope it will prove beneficial.
    After the February retreat Sister Clare of the Blessed Sacrament was named for our mission; she was most welcomed into our midst.

A night in December at 2 o'clock in the morning, our night nurse, Sister Joseph Cupertino, sounded the alarm that a flood seemed to threaten the Hospital. The water was flowing heavily from the above floors. Mr. G. Dubois, our engineer, came in haste. There was a reservoir on the sixth floor (the attic); the floating ball had burst and the tank overflowed. The water had already gone through the ceilings of our treatment rooms from the fifth floor down to the first floor. The situation was quickly remedied. We had no other damage but to mop up water the rest of the night and let the stained walls dry.

During the summer and fall months, the number of our patients went so low that our work seemed ready to disappear. This trial made us pray with more fervor. We asked the Sacred Heart to watch over us, and we said our "fiat" that if it was His will that our Medford mission give way, may it be taken over by others. God seemed nevertheless to take glory in our efforts. A good number of conversions took place under our roof. In response to our prayers, God sent us those to whom some spiritual help could be given. Here are a few examples.

On March 12th a freight train went off the track a few miles from Medford. Many poor transients had hidden themselves, in order to get a free ride. A good number of them were hurt; they were taken to the county hospital, and three came to us.
    The first one, a Mr. J. M. Davidson, [age 33, of Modesto, California] was critically injured. He was Catholic but could not believe he was dying--when told of his condition, he made his confession and died soon after.
    The second, Mr. [S. McElligot or Dennis McGalligat, age 53], was unconscious with skull fractures. We prayed for him. After 12 hours he regained consciousness and told us he was Catholic. The Chaplain was called and gave him the last rites. A few hours later the dying man lapsed into unconsciousness and died shortly after.
    J. E. Murray, [age 32, New York,] their companion, got frightened at the news of his friends' deaths. He had not gone to confession for eight years. He wanted to make his peace with God and received the Sacraments. Not hurt too seriously, he left the Hospital after two weeks. Our prayers, good wishes and advice went with him.
    Mr. W. S. Martin, suffering from asthma for many years, came to spend his last days on earth with us. He was a county case. During hours of intense suffering, he often turned to God. Without hope of recovery, he wanted to enter the church. He studied his catechism like a child and asked to be baptized. Father Meagher, our Chaplain, baptized him in our Chapel. Sometime later he made his first Communion and died shortly after.
    Mr. D. Onscon came in paralyzed. He did not want to say he was a Catholic. Losing partially the use of speech, he seemed to believe that it was a punishment from God for the neglect of his religion. He could see how well his roommate was studying his catechism; he was attracted to do the same. He regained the use of his speech long enough to make a good confession; since then his health is improving slowly.
    Sister Andrew, our Superior, received much consolation from an act of charity. Last year Andley Meyer, a young man with a Catholic mother and a Protestant father, asked as a favor to come to work at the Hospital between classes to help pay for his tuition in order to go to the Catholic School Academy of the Holy Name Sisters. He studied his religion and soon he had the happiness of making his first Communion. He returned this year and he is now a fervent Catholic.
    At the opening of the school year, Frank Hillis requested the same privilege as did Andley Meyer. His mother was also a Catholic, but the child had never been baptized. Raised far away in the country, he had no opportunity to attend church. He is now 15 years old. After much hesitation and many excuses he finally decided to study his religion. He had the happiness of making his first Communion. May the divine ray of faith always light the souls of these young people.

Personnel and Works--

Vocal sisters  . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
 . . . . . . . . . . . . .       7
Coadjutrix sister  . . . . .
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .        1
mployees . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .        3

Nurses  . . . . . . . . . . .
 . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .        3

Boarders . . . . . . . . . . . .
. . . . . . . . . . . . .. . . . . . . . . . .       2
Patients admitted during the year. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .   381
Patients in hospital July 1st . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .     23
Poor patients admitted during the year . . . . . . . . . . .     29
Number of free hospitalization days . . . . . . . . . . . . .   188
Number of patient beds  . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .     60

Number of night watches in the establishment.
 . . . .1,150
Value of free prescription  . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . $20.00

Meals given to the poor  . .
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .   150
Conversion of neglected Catholics . . . . . . . . . . . . . .       5
Conversion to Catholicism (adult) . . . . . . . . . . . . . .        3
Infant baptisms . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .        4
Conditional baptisms . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .      21

                                                              Sister Clare of Assisi
                                                              Secretary                                                                                                                             Sister Andrew

July 1, 1917 to July 1, 1918
    In our small mission nothing of great importance comes to break the monotony of our convent life. Hope our Sisters will
forgive our poor chronicles.


    After the July retreat, Sister Clare of the Blessed Sacrament left us for Spokane. Coming here after her professions, she had been with us only five months. She was not replaced.

September 19th we had the ceremony of the baptism of Miss Dayton, a student nurse. She heard God's voice in a singular fashion. This young girl raised by Protestant parents did not know our religious beliefs before entering our nursing school. She won the heart of one of our patients, a very good Catholic, while taking care of him. Impressed by his Catholic influence, she decided to become a Catholic. Our Chaplain and our devoted director of the school of nursing, Sister Louise Henry, gave her adequate instructions. She made her first Communion and remained with us till the end of November to strengthen her faith.
    At the end of September we made an appeal to some lady friends of the house to discuss the possibility to help the Hospital install a heating system. They gathered at the Hospital, seventeen of them. After consulting between themselves it was decided that a bazaar at this time would not be successful due to the fact that the people were involved in too many wartime appeals for patriotic deeds. We remained then with no other means than our confidence in Divine Providence.

Feast Day--
November 30th, feast of St. Andrew, happened to be the patronal feast day of our local Superior, Sister Andrew. We took our religious holiday the best we could; being few in number we did not have too much free time.

New Sanitarium Opens--
In the fall a Hospital Sanitarium was opened in our city by a Dr. Porter. This happening was keenly felt. In December our patient census was so low we were asking ourselves where our daily bread would come from.

The first of January Providence sent us help that we had not expected. The members of the Society of Roses decided to give us as a gift a treasure they had on hand for three years, $264.00. On the 2nd of January, Mrs. Schieffelin presented us the check signed by the Honorable Mayor C. E. Gates, formerly president of the Society.
Myrtle Mary Dayton Gallagher Hiles and daughter Frances, 1919--findagrave
Myrtle Mary Dayton Gallagher Hiles and daughter Frances, 1919
from findagrave.com

The 23rd of January was the day set up for the wedding of Miss [Myrtle Mary] Dayton and Mr. [Eugene Joseph] Gallagher. This young convert asked as a favor to have her marriage blessed by our Chaplain, Rev. William Meagher, who had baptized her and given her her first Communion. At the request of the young couple the wedding breakfast was served at the Hospital with 12 guests attending. The table setting in the nurses' cafeteria was simple but of good taste. Mr. Gallagher paid for it generously.

75th Anniversary--
    At the beginning of February we received a circular letter from our Mother General announcing the celebration of the 75th anniversary of the foundation of our Institute. We made the required novena with fervor, and willingly we began the long review of our past.

Sister Denis of Alexandria, after making her annual retreat in March, was sent to Yakima. This dear Sister, although weak and sick, gave herself in the measure of her strength towards our works for more than five years. She was replaced by Sister Charles Eugene.

The 17th of May, our small family was very happy. Mother Felix, First Assistant General, and Mother M. Ovide, General Secretary, came to visit us on their return from Oakland. Mother Vincent Ferrier, Provincial Superior, and her secretary Sister Marcien accompanied them. Mother Provincial made her official visit; we had the double joy of having the Assistant General with us for her patronal feast. We had two days of triple "deo gratias," which we will remember for a long time.
    Mother Felix, our Assistant General, asked us to put our unstable situation into the hands of St. Joseph in order that our future be according to God's holy will. She gave us an infallible prayer to say as a novena.

Jubilee Feast--
The 6th, 7th and 8th of June, Jubilee feasts in the intimacy of our small religious family. On Thursday we had a low Mass for our deceased; at 2 p.m. in the afternoon we had a Holy Hour with exposition of the Blessed Sacrament, presided over by our Chaplain, who did not feel well enough to have it during the night. At 11 p.m. an adoration hour by the Sisters. The mystery of the night, the altar decorated with flowers, and a few lighted candles illuminated the Tabernacle. This encouraged us to fervor and prayer in thanksgiving for all favors received. May the peace that we felt that night spread over the whole earth.
    June 7th, patronal feast of our Province and our Hospital, was the second day of our Jubilee. Being only seven Sisters for the adoration, the Blessed Sacrament was exposed for only two hours. Many favors were asked. June 8th, free day from work, was taken as granted. The day ended with a gala dinner in the afternoon.

On the 18th of June a serious accident occurred at the city limit. A train hit a car that was crossing the railroad track. Three persons were seriously hurt. They were brought to our Hospital. Two of them were Freemasons, and they told the doctor that they did not want to hear about religion. Nevertheless, the grace of God was there. One of the victims, spouse of Dr. Hurd, told the Sisters she did not belong to the Freemason sect and was not a Catholic, but would like to have the help and prayers of a priest. Her injuries were so serious that in a few hours she was almost near death. Realizing the danger of her condition, she again asked for a priest. Our good Chaplain hastened to her side, baptized her and gave her the last rites. She died shortly after. [Peter E. Stream and Gertrude M. Hurd, of Hoquiam, Washington, died at Sacred Heart. Mrs. F. L. Lord survived.]

The news of the death of Mother Aristide came at the close of this year's chronicles. With hearts filled with prayers and sorrows may her examples, advices and motherly devotedness live on forever in the hearts of her novices who loved her so much.

Personnel and Works--

Vocal sisters . .
. . . . . . . . . . .           7
Coadjutrix sister . . . 
. . . . . . .          1

Nurse . . . . . . . . . . . .
 . . . . . . .          1
Salaried employees  . . . . . . .          3
. . . . . . . . . . . . .. . .           1
Aged lady . . . . . . . . . . . . .. . .           1
Boarder . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .           1
Patients . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .      351
Night watches . . . . . . . . . . . .   1,030
Deaths  . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .        14

Meals given to the poor . .
. .         20
Money given to the poor . . . $10.00
Free prescriptions  . . . . . . . . $25.00
Conversions--adult. . . . . . . .           2
Conversions--fallen away. . .          2
Conditional baptisms . . . . . .          9
Chaplain . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .          1
                                                              Sister Clare of Assisi
                                                              Secretary                                                                                                                             Sister Andrew

July 1, 1918 to July 1, 1919
    While the bloody European war continues to destroy our allies, and the number of wounded and dead had reached the millions, we continued to address our most pressing petitions to the Sacred Heart and we implored Him to dispose all hearts and souls to forgiveness and peace.

Charity Contest--
The month of July consecrated to St. Vincent de Paul was celebrated this year with a charity contest. Two Liberty Bonds amounting to $50.00 each were donated to the Hospital to help defray the necessary expenses of buying oil and wood for the winter heating system. The Sisters with the help of a few ladies got the idea to increase this amount by raffling these bonds; therefore, tickets were sold to this end. To encourage the children to help sell tickets, Mrs. J. F. Reddy, who herself had given one of these bonds, promised a prize to the child who would sell the most. Mr. G. Corum's daughter was the happy winner of a beautiful gold locket on chain.
    St. Vincent Hospital, one of our Hospitals, was the one who bought the most, 50 of them. One of our Coadjutrix Sisters had the happiness of winning both bonds, and we made $500.00. The drawing of the tickets was made by C. E. Gates, City Mayor, in the presence of a good number of friends of the Hospital. Everyone appeared happy and satisfied towards the happy winner. We thanked Providence first and secondly our devoted friends for their great generosity, because we had to keep in mind that it was war time, and demands on people were many.

The patient census went rather low during the summer; however, our good Dr. Emmens, nose and throat specialist, brought us a fairly good number of patients. Even though these patients remained a short time in the Hospital, nevertheless we blessed Divine Providence to have given us the advantage of helping them spiritually.

Spanish Flu--
On October 20th the Spanish flu made its first appearance in our city. A cry of alarm was heard from all sides. At the request of the city mayor and the doctors, one story in our house, up to now vacant, was put at the disposal of the flu victims. No sooner had we admitted a few than the Sisters and nurses succumbed to the illness one after another, and it was only at the price of heroic efforts that we stayed at the task in providing to the most pressing needs. Although death made many victims around us, we and our nurses were spared. The poor families, above all, were greatly put to the test. The civil authorities, seeing the necessity of coming immediately to the aid of this class of patients, asked us to put a large ward at their disposal. The city gave us $230.00 to buy pillows and other bedding needs. We admitted 25 of them, to whom we gave free care. Some entire families stricken with the flu arrived to us in the worst state.
    The greater portion of the working population of our city lived from day to day. As long as their health remained good and the work was plentiful they escaped misery, but when visited by ill health it was almost indigence.
    During the 70 days that the influenza lasted we gave our help to 150 patients, a total of 1,120 days of medical care and attention, death having taken 12 victims.

Mr. [John William] Arthur, one of our first influenza victims, received baptism. This man had married a Catholic woman with the intention of becoming a Catholic; he had studied and taken instruction toward this end, but unforeseen circumstances prevented him from doing so. However, at the sight of approaching death all the good intentions of yesteryear came back to light up his faith. He asked to be baptized and his wish was granted. A while later, the sick man, expressing his confidence in God, died [October 22, 1918] soon after having received baptism.
    Not too long after, it is the turn of Mr. J. Erickson to ask for baptism, which he received on his deathbed. The preparations were short but sincere; he died shortly after receiving the Sacraments.

Other Conversions--
On November 10th, Mrs. [Veronica Carolina Sauer] Bostwick, a young lady full of hope in the goods of life, had married a man who did not share her faith. I less than two years his influence had made her abandon all practices of piety. Struck by a deadly sickness, the patient was brought in to our Hospital. The Sisters, while giving her the attentive care she needed, did not hide from her the seriousness of her condition and that her days were numbered. We proposed to her to see the priest; to this the patient accepted readily. The Chaplain, good pastor of the soul, by his kindness and gentleness had in no time replaced the remorse in her heart with sentiments of hope and contrition. The patient was given the joy of receiving the Sacraments and to see Heaven's doors opened to receive her.

Armistice Day--
November 11th, the Peace Treaty was signed, the victory was to our allies, our enemies were conquered, thanks to the Sacred Heart. Outside, rejoicing was everywhere. For us religious, who had nothing to do with worldly politics, we are happy and thank God that the bloody war is over. So many families were visited by death, so many letters were received full of sufferings unheard of, of which this universal war was the cause. Let us repeat this cry of love--Sacred Heart of Jesus, we put our trust in You.

Feast Day--
November 30th, feast of St. Andrew, was also the patronal feast of our devoted Superior. After the usual greetings everyone tried to spend this religious family feast as joyously as possible, but the Hospital was full of influenza cases so we had to be at the bedside of our patients and give them the necessary care. It is here the time to say "Duty before all else," but this dedication to duty is it not the most beautiful jewel of a Sister of Providence? Our Mother Foundresses left us this precious heritage.

Mr. [Grant] Burroughs died on the 18th of December. A few days before he was brought in dying of intestinal infection, this man, a Protestant, had the reputation of being just and honest. Having married a Catholic woman, he gave her the responsibility of raising their children in her faith. During his short hospital stay, our Chaplain visited him frequently, and when he saw that Mr. Burroughs did not have too long to live, he proposed baptism to him, talking to him about God's mercies. The poor dying man had only one wish, to see God and be eternally happy--to this end he accepted everything needed to attain this favor. Our Chaplain prepared him and gave him baptism. This Sacrament increased his happiness to die a Christian. After his death, having benefited of the prayers of the Church, our Chaplain told us that this unique grace he had received in dying was the crowning of the life of a man who always had in view the will of God in all things.

Chicken Pox Epidemic--
The Spanish influenza epidemic had not yet terminated that we had to go in quarantine against chicken pox. Two patients who were brought into the Hospital for influenza were found after a few days that they had chicken pox. We had to isolate them; one of our nursing school nurses was put in charge.
    After having not only isolated our two patients but also those who came in contact, we were hoping that the illness was arrested, but such was not to be the case. Four of our nurses contracted the disease and had to be isolated in their turn. Sister Ethelrida was named to take care of the new victims. For three weeks this dear Sister was deprived of all communication with the rest of the Community; she could nor hear Mass nor receive Holy Communion. After a few days at the request of the city mayor we admitted two other cases coming from out of town; we placed them with the others in a special department that we had for this end, but these last cases marked the end of the chicken pox epidemic, and we were thankful to God for that.

Mr. J. F. White, a young Catholic man, left to himself with companions without faith and without care for the salvation of their souls, soon forgot his religious duties. Behold! He was struck with influenza and from his hotel room he was taken to our Hospital by the Rev. Father Power, pastor of the Parish, but it was too late; medical help could not give him any relief in his sufferings. The good pastor did not leave him; he prayed and made him pray. At an opportune moment, he suggested to him to make his confession and to reconcile himself with his Creator. The young man, not believing he was so near death, accepted nevertheless the suggestions of this good priest. When told he had but a brief time to live, he prepared himself to appear before his Maker by making generously the sacrifice of his life and of all his earthly hopes and kept repeating he was putting himself into the arms of Divine Providence. Conversions like these are of a nature to encourage us in the exercise of our works of Charity.
    At the end of January, two young girls, wanting to hide the disgrace they had brought upon themselves, requested and obtained admission to our Hospital. After the birth of their children, who died soon after being baptized, these young persons seemed to realize how fortunate they are; although Protestants, they reflected seriously. Finally they left us filled with gratitude for the charity and care they had been the object of during their stay at the Hospital. Let us hope these young girls will persevere in their good resolutions and be prevented from new misfortune.

February the 10th, Mother M. Alexander, Fourth Assistant General, arrived for the official visit of the house, accompanied by Sister Tavernier, former Mistress of Novices. It was with real joy that we greeted this dear Mother in the midst of our small family. We long remembered her kindness toward us while Superior at St. Vincent, Portland, when our house was new and lacking in everything.
    When the official visit terminated, Mother Alexander announced her intention of remaining with us until the 19th-28th of February retreat was over, which was given in Vancouver. During these few restful days she repeated her goodness and maternal attention toward us and edified us by her piety and examples. This dear Mother left us the 1st of March to continue her visitation throughout the Province.

After the April retreat our dear Sisters Louis Henry and Dominic were recalled from our mission and replaced by Sisters Genevieve of Nanterre and Philip of Jesus.

Trip to Portland--
April 10th our Superior, Sister Andrew, went to Portland to attend some conferences pertinent to the Standardization of Hospitals. They were given by Father Maulinier, S.J., and Dr. Bowman. These gentlemen were from large hospitals in the East. These conferences were given in the hope of making us appreciate the ideal way each and every one must fill their task with the patients and for keeping of hospitals in general.

During the months of May and June our Chaplain the Rev. Father Meagher gave us the benediction of the Blessed Sacrament every day.

Mother Vincent Ferrier, our Provincial Superior, accompanied by her secretary made a trip to Montreal. It was a great happiness for both of them to visit with our Mothers from the Generalate and also their families, who anxiously waited for them.

The 15th of June we received the news of the death of our beloved Mother Emeuntienne, Third Assistant General. Her death, which was so sudden, will leave a great void in our Community. We loved her. She was always so good, so kind and devoted. She had been sick only two days. She had a great devotion to the Sacred Heart; she made Him known and loved by the poor she served so well, and she knew how to help them by her great charity. Let us not forget her in our prayers.

June 27th being the feast of the Sacred Heart, we rekindled our fervor in order to thank as we ought this Heart so good and generous who gave us so many favors during the course of the year. The day following this beautiful feast, June 28th, the Peace Treaty was signed at the Versailles Palace. This peace so hoped for was the price of so many tears and bloodshed. The sad memory that this horrible universal was traced in indelible character in the hearts of mothers, spouses and other relatives, will be erased but very slowly. Let us pray for those who gave their lives for our welfare, and let us pray very specially for our wounded, blind, infirms of all kinds, who yet at the start of their lives will regard their misfortune only with horror and fright. May we Sisters of Charity at the example of our Venerated Mother Gamelin help these poor unfortunates inasmuch as it is in our power.

Personnel and Work--
Vocal sisters  . . . . . . . . . . . . .           7
Coadjutrix sister  . . .
. . . . . . .
Lay nurses  . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
Employees . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
Tradesman  . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
Boarders  . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
Patients  . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .       531
Chaplain . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
Night watches . . . . . . . . . . . .    1,515
Deaths . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .         27
Meals to the poor . . . . . . . . .         15
Free prescriptions  . . . . . . . . $85.00
Adult conversions. . . . . . . . .
Neglected Catholics. . . . . . .
Baptism--adult  . . . . . . . . . . .
Baptism--newborn . . . . . . . .           2
Money given to the poor . . . $22.00

                            Written by
                                                          Sister Mary Napoleon
                                                          Seen and Approved by
                                                          Sister Andrew, Superior
                                                          Sister Clare of Assisi

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

2 Chapters in Jackson County History
Chapter One

    On  August 11, 1865, four Sisters of the Holy Names left Portland for Jacksonville and started a school for girls there. They were welcomed by the good people of that place. It was no matter to the pioneers of that day what the religion was of the four Sisters. They moved among the warm-hearted citizens of Jacksonville, doing good on every occasion, but especially in the training of girls and preparing them for the duties of their lives. There were wants and sacrifices, but the world never heard of them.
    The heroism of the Sisters was called into action in January 1869 in ministering to the victims of the smallpox. The epidemic wrought its greatest havoc in the town of Jacksonville, and the Sisters made an offer to the board of health to care for the afflicted and sent the following letter:

St. Mary's Academy
    Jacksonville, Jan. 7, 1869.
    The Sisters of the Holy Names of Jesus and Mary most willingly tender their services to attend the patients of the hospital if the board of health wishes to accept their offer. The Sisters will be happy to give this proof of their appreciation to the good people of Jacksonville for the numerous benefits received at their hands.
    To Mr. David Linn, president of the board of health.

    The Sisters, in making this offer, did not include only Catholics, but Jews, Negroes--in fact all races and religions.
    At the risk of being too lengthy I must give Mr. Linn's answer in full:

Jacksonville, Ore., Jan. 7, 1869.
    The board of trustees for the town of Jacksonville beg to acknowledge the receipt of the note of this date addressed by the Sisters of the Holy Names of Jesus and Mary to the president, in which a tender is made of the Sisters for the purpose of taking charge of the smallpox hospital.
    The board, while most gratefully acknowledging the Christian charity and humanity which prompt the noble and generous offer, begs to say that for the present the attendants on the afflicted, although not numerous, are deemed sufficient for the emergency, and are therefore unwilling to expose the generous ladies of the Sisterhood to the contagion until an imperative necessity requires it. If, however, the epidemic should continue its ravages, of which there is every indication at present, the board will most gladly avail itself of the offer made by the Sisters in the note referred to.
    The board takes this occasion, for itself and in behalf of its citizens, to reiterate the thanks due for an offer which only springs from the very highest dictates of religion and humanity.
    President Board of Health

    A few days later the rapid spread of the smallpox determined the board to accept the help offered.
    Sisters Mary Francis of Assisium and Mary Edward were the fearless volunteers. "During two months they passed from one home of contagion to another. In the silent watches of the night they were alone with the stricken, the dying and the dead." At the end of two months of hardship these two angels of mercy returned to their convents, the one, Sister Mary Francis, to die a victim of her love of God and charity to her fellow man, the other to continue the good work in a religious life.
    One of the eulogies of the Jacksonville press was as follows: O woman! woman! was there ever such a paradox? Gentle, yet stern and resolute as mailed and belted warriors in the hour of peril--timid, yet bravest in the face of danger. During our epidemic, when strong men shrank in dismay, when the dearest ties of kindred were severed by the fear of contagion, the delicate and gentle members of Catholic Sisterhood bravely stepped forward to assuage the horrors of the pestilence. For weeks they have not ceased their administrations. Day after day, against the warnings of physicians, regardless of their own health--like pallid watchers in the vestibule of death--these self-sacrificing women have wrestled with the king of terrors. In chambers burdened with sickening odors, reeking with loathsome corruption, amid suffering and delirium and scenes at which the bravest of us might falter, they have cooled the burning thirst of the sick; in the last hour they offered the soothing consolation of religion to the dying, and performed the last sad offices of the dead. And for no reward--save that which is beyond the threshold of eternity! Was there ever heroism more sublime? Amid shrieking shell and gleaming steel, was there ever courage greater? It is more than heroic--it is supernal. It can only spring from the strongest and purest faith; it can only be founded in the deepest and most unswerving hope--it can only be born of the inspiration that took the sting from the crown of thorns, and the bitterness from Him who taught us charity. Scoff as we may--doubt as we may--we must view with admiration the power and truth of a religion that bestows on the weakest and gentlest of humanity a courage so unfaltering, a faith so powerful and so everlasting. Let prejudice be silent now, and, as those gentle messengers of mercy have done to us and ours, let us so do unto them."
Chapter Two
    It is now 1922, and over a half a century has gone by since the above came to pass. The good Sisters that took such good care of the sick, dying and dead have gone to the only reward they asked. They and their companions have helped to build up the state of Oregon. Scarcely a town or city of any size but it has a beautiful and substantial school building in which they teach the future mothers and build up their character. They have not asked the state to help them.
    Now some of the citizens have proposed a law to the voters of Oregon that will close these schools and deprive these Sisters of the chance to educate the coming women in their love toward their God, in charity to their fellow man and duty towards their country.
    Will the voters of Jackson County, will the voters of Oregon, help the fanatics? No, a hundred times no.
    Let the good voters of Oregon vote against this so-called compulsory education bill. Let each parent choose the school he wishes his child to be trained in--provided he gets a good American education.
    At present we have a law that compels a parent to send his children to school, but leaves it to parents to choose the teachers and the school, all under state regulation.
    Are we not in danger of being governed too much? We feel proud of our liberties. Let us protect our rights.
    St. Paul, Oregon, Sept. 5, 1922.
Medford Mail Tribune, September 14, 1922, page 4

Last revised July 6, 2018