The Infamous Black Bird Southern Oregon History, Revised

Julia Levenberry
Click here for Julia's troubles while in Medford.

    Isaac Jackson and Mrs. Julia Higgins will be united in marriage at the African Methodist Episcopal church tomorrow night.
"Local Paragraphs,"
Albuquerque Daily Citizen, May 29, 1901, page 1
    Last night at 8:30 o'clock at the A.M.E. church, Isaac Jackson and Mrs. Julia Smith, two popular colored people, were united in the holy bonds of wedlock, Rev. Jones officiating. John Taylor and Miss Mamie Georgia acted as best man and bridesmaid. The church was crowded, there being many white people present, as both the groom and bride are known to be fine colored folks and their friends were there to see the nuptial knot properly tied. They were the recipients of many nice presents and the G.A.R. and Women's Relief Corps especially remembered the groom, he being an old soldier and carried the Kit Carson battle-torn flag in the Memorial Day parade.
Albuquerque Daily Citizen, May 31, 1901, page 1

    The closing feature of the Gentlemen's Driving Club entertainment yesterday afternoon took place in the Orchestrion hall where Edgar Williams, who has gained some reputation as an orator among the local colored colony, announced that "Black Prince," with Miss "Minnehaha," and "Black Diamond," with "Breezy Times," would do their level best to please the crowd. Samuel Watson arranged the details, with the assistance of Col. R. H. Greenleaf, and Edward Lane acted as referee, introducing the couples. The walk proved very ludicrous, but "Black Diamond" and his dusky partner were outclassed in almost every point by "Black Prince" and his partner, and the prize was awarded to the latter. The winners were Steve Slaughter and Mrs. Montie Lee, and losers Robert Lee and Mrs. Isaac Jackson.
Albuquerque Weekly Citizen, August 3, 1901, page 3

    Mrs. Isaac Jackson, a lady of color, was fined $5 this morning by Justice Crawford for disorderly conduct. The scene of her operations was the acre district.
"Police Court Briefs,"
Albuquerque Weekly Citizen, August 24, 1901, page 4  "Acre district" was a polite way to refer to the Hell's Half-Acre district, home to the city's brothel.

    Isaac Jackson, the city jailer and janitor of the city building, is on the sick list.
"Local Happenings,"
Albuquerque Weekly Citizen, August 16, 1902, page 7

    Mrs. Isaac Jackson will leave tonight for Flagstaff for a visit with friends.
"Local Paragraphs,"
Albuquerque Daily Citizen, August 16, 1902, page 8

The Old Colored Soldier, Isaac Jackson, is Dead.

    Isaac Jackson, a respectable and well-known old colored resident of Albuquerque, died suddenly last night.
    While on his way to his home on North Third Street, he complained of feeling sick. He only proceeded a short distance when he would have fallen had not friends been close at hand. He was carried to a room nearby when death came before a doctor could be called. His death is attributed to heart disease.
    Mr. Jackson has a very interesting war record, such as few soldiers possess. His pension papers show that his first enlistment was in Kentucky in Company H, One Hundred and Ninth Regiment, United States Colored Volunteer Infantry, in which he served as private and musician during the Civil War. In 1873 he enlisted in Troop H, Tenth United States Cavalry, serving two terms of five years each. His next enlistment was in 1889, when he served a term of five years in Company C, Twenty-Fourth United States Infantry. Then another term of five years was served in the Tenth United States Cavalry. In this regiment he was promoted from private to corporal and then sergeant, from which he was honorably discharged at the expiration of his term of enlistment. All his discharges show his character to be excellent.
    As a scout in New Mexico and Arizona he made a brilliant record. He was under this commission during the uprising of Geronimo in the southern part of the territory. It was Jackson that led the forces to the Indian camp which resulted in the capture. For this act he was highly recommended by General Miles, of the United States army. He was very familiar with the country, and his knowledge won him a name among famous scouts.
    Mr. Jackson was 61 years of age and his health had not been good for some time. He was a slave until the Civil War, when he enlisted in the army, where he served faithfully until pensioned on account of old age.
    He has lived in Albuquerque for the past fifteen years, was married about a year ago to a colored woman of this city. His wife is now visiting in Arizona.
    A telegram has been sent Mrs. Jackson, who is at Tucson.
    His position as city jailer for the past six months has been satisfactory. He was well liked b
y all who knew him.
    Jackson was a member of the G. K. Warren Post, Grand Army of the Republic, and the funeral will be under the auspices of the local post.
    The funeral services will be held at the African Methodist Episcopal church on Coal Avenue at 2 o'clock Sunday afternoon. Members of the G. K. Warren Post, G.A.R., will assemble at K. of P. hall at 1 p.m. sharp to attend the funeral in a body. By order of J. W. Edwards, commander; W. W. McDonald, adjutant.
    The W.R.C. will meet at Mrs. Shoemaker's on Gold Avenue at 1:30 o'clock p.m., so as to attend the funeral of Isaac Jackson. By order of the president, Mrs. T. A. Whitcomb, secretary.
Daily Albuquerque Citizen, October 25, 1902, page 1

    The funeral of Isaac Jackson took place yesterday afternoon from the African M.E. church. The members of G. K. Warren Post, G.A.R. and the ladies of the W.R.C. attended in a body to escort the body to Fairview cemetery, where a salute was fired and the body of the veteran laid to rest with all due cemetery.
"Local Items of Interest,"
Albuquerque Journal, October 27, 1902, page 8

    Marriage licenses were isued since 4 o'clock yesterday to J. C. Bragg of Tucson and Marie Howell of Salt Lake City; also to John Lockett and Julia Jackson of Tucson.
"The City News," Tucson Citizen, Tucson, Arizona, August 22, 1903, page 5

    Next came Miss Julia Lockett and Mr. Louis Clemmons, the lady being costumed in white with pink trimmings, her partner being attired in the same style as his predecessor. Miss Lockett carried a fan and a Japanese parasol, both of which she wielded in a manner that simply brought down the house in a burst of applause as soon as she began her evolutions. Later she discarded the fan and parasol and was handed a razor about three feet long, which she wielded with charming dexterity, at times just missing her vis-a-vis with maidenly little swipes that would have put him out of business for good if she had hit him and the weapon had been genuine. But as it was, she "never touched him."
"Lots of Fun at the Natatorium Colored Cake Walkers Contest," Tucson Citizen, Tucson, Arizona, March 22, 1905, page 8  Julia won the contest.

Census date: April 21, 1910
Name: Julia Levenberry, 37, mulatto, born in Texas, "vagrant"
Residence: Oak Street, Marysville, California
Single, living alone, no children
United States Census   Julia's neighbors on Oak Street were seven other women (all of them black), all listed as "vagrant"--code for prostitute.

Royal The, Mrs Julia Levenberry propr, furn rms 320 E Main
Polk's Jackson County Directory 1912, page 122

    Mrs. Julia Levenberry, proprietress of the Royal Rooming House on East Main Street, was severely beaten by a burglar she caught in the act of robbing the rooms at the Royal Thursday night. The man escaped carrying with him a sack of onions. Only a meager description of the man was given.
    Mrs. Levenberry states that she was uptown Thursday evening shopping, purchasing among other things a small sack of onions. She returned to the Royal and on entering surprised a man leaving one of the rooms. In reply to a query as to his business there the man grabbed her with the demand:
    "Give me your money."
    Mrs. Levenberry began to scream, the man attacking her. She was beaten about the head and body. Suddenly the man grabbed the sack of onions from the pocket of her coat and ran.
    The police were summoned and are now looking for a man with an onion breath.
Medford Mail Tribune, March 14, 1913, page 2

    Notwithstanding the agitation directed by Mayor Eifert and City Attorney Boggs at the Royal Rooming House during the past week, that place is evidently still in a flourishing condition. This is indicated by the arrest of John Grier, colored, Monday night for creating a disturbance there. It is understood that three or four others were mixed up in the row.
    The trouble is said to have started about ten o'clock when the negro mixed with a white man. When the altercation was at its height, Mrs. Julia Levenberry, proprietress, telephoned for the police, who made the arrest.
    Every effort to suppress the news of the trouble at the Royal was made Tuesday, but without success as the disturbance was heard by people on the streets. The police declined to discuss the affair. It is believed that they were acting under the orders of Mayor Eifert, but they declined to deny or affirm this.
    The Royal is getting into the limelight frequently of late owing to the fact that it figured in the political storm of last week.
Medford Mail Tribune, March 25, 1913, page 6

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
17 April 1913--The Pension Bureau's Special Examiner, Mr. Brower, writes to the postmaster in Medford, Oregon, and makes the following request:
    Without giving her any reason for so doing, will you have the postmaster who delivers mail on her route ask Julia Jackson of 33 S. Front St., your city, if she was at one time married to John Lockett, and report the result to me?
    In order that you may understand the reason for this request, I will explain that said Julia Jackson is claiming pension as a widow of Isaac Jackson who died in the year 1902, and that she has not remarried since his death. She states that she was in various places in the southern part of Arizona immediately following his death, and the public records at Tucson, Arizona, show the marriage of Julia Jackson with John Lockett, Aug. 22, 1903, and it is suspected this claimant and that Julia Jackson are one and the same. I assure you that it will be appreciated and may be of much service to the government.

22 April 1913--The postmaster at Medford, Oregon, replies that in compliance with your request, I had the carrier make the desired inquiry without giving a reason therefore, but she denied ever having known any person by the name of John Lockett. This woman goes by two names here, Mrs. Julia Levenberry and Mrs. Julia Jackson. She conducts a rooming house with a sporting house reputation, and about a year ago, her house was closed up by the police, and she was called as a witness before the court.
    I looked up the evidence in the case to see as to what name she gave while under oath and found that she had given the name of Jackson.

19 May 1913--Attorney H. L. DeArmond of Medford, Oregon, sends to the honorable J. L. Davenport, Washington. D.C., and states:
    I am sending to you for Mrs. Julia Jackson a certified copy of the divorce decree from her former husband, also certified copy of the marriage certificate to Isaac Jackson, and also affidavits of Mrs. Jackson and Mr. Waters as to other information required. Hoping these will be satisfactory, I remain, H. L. DeArmond.
19 May 1913--Mr. R. W. Waters gives a deposition and states:
    I am a resident of Medford, Jackson County, Oregon. During the years 1900 to 1903, I spent a greater portion of my time in Albuquerque, New Mexico, and that I was personally acquainted with Isaac Jackson, an old soldier of that place, that I now am and was then acquainted with his wife, Julia Jackson, who is now a resident of Medford, Oregon. I know to my own knowledge that the said Isaac and Julia Jackson lived together as husband and wife prior to and up to the time of the death of the said Isaac Jackson, that they were not divorced, and it is my belief that the said Julia Jackson has not been remarried since the death of said Isaac Jackson, I am informed and believe that said Isaac Jackson had not been previously married.
19 May 1913--Julia Jackson gives a deposition and states:
    I am the widow of Isaac Jackson, deceased, that said Isaac Jackson died suddenly, and that there was no physician in attendance, that if there is a public record of the death of the said Isaac Jackson, it is unknown to me.
18 June 1913--The Pension Bureau writes to the Honorable W. C. Hawley and informs him in the case of Julia Jackson that there should be an affidavit of the attending physician, giving a full clinical history of the soldier's last illness. Also, a certified copy of the public record of the soldier's death. A copy of the claimant's divorce from her previous husband, also the testimony of credible witnesses showing that the soldier had not been previously married and that she has not remarried since the death of her husband.

12 July 1913--The Honorable W. C. Hawley writes to the Pension Bureau that about May 20, 1913 Mrs. Jackson's attorney sent directly to the Pension Bureau a certified copy of the divorce decree and also two affidavits covering the other evidence required. Will you please advise me whether this evidence has been received and whether sufficient.
16 July 1913--The Pension Bureau writes back to the Honorable W. C. Hawley and informs him that said claim requires the testimony of two persons who knew the soldier from the time he became of marriageable age, showing whether he was ever married prior to his marriage to the claimant and the testimony of one more person having knowledge of the facts to be used in connection with that of R. W. Waters showing whether the claimant lived with the soldier until the date of his death and whether she has remarried since his death.
29 Sept. 1913--Mrs. Jackson makes another sworn statement:
    I have made every effort within my power to secure the additional affidavits asked for by the commissioner of pensions, but as a few friends that I had while living in Albuquerque, New Mexico have since left, making it impossible for me to secure said affidavits by letter, and as I was without funds, I could not go in person to look after it. I am the only widow of the said Isaac Jackson, and I lived with him from the time of our marriage to the date of his death without divorce, and I have not remarried since the death of the said Isaac Jackson.
13 Oct. 1913--The Honorable W. C. Hawley again writes to the Pension Bureau and states:
    I beg to enclose herewith an affidavit of the claimant to the effect that she has not been successful in securing some of the evidence desired in her case. She does make a sworn statement that she lived with her husband until his death and has not remarried since his death. I understand this case is now complete, and I urge your early action in the case as I am advised the widow is almost destitute.
7 Nov. 1913--Mr. O. L. Sues, a Special Examiner, San Francisco, Calif., is sent the following letter by the Chief of the Special Examination Division which states:
    The enclosed law division letter relative to the claim of Julia Jackson, as widow of Isaac Jackson, is forwarded to you for your information and the required explanation.
24 Dec. 1913--The Honorable W. C. Hawley again writes to the Pension Bureau and states:
    I respectfully request to be advised relative to the status of the application for pension of Julia Jackson.
29 Dec. 1913--The Pension Bureau writes to the Honorable W. C. Hawley and states that the claim of Julia Jackson has been referred to a field representative for special examination to determine its merits. The examiner will give the matter special attention at the earliest practicable date, and will contact Mrs. Jackson and advise her as to the purpose of the inquiry.
11 Feb. 1914--Julia Jackson gives a deposition in which she states:
    I am 38 years of age, address 33 S. Front St., Medford, Oregon, occupation running a rooming house for white people only. Once in a while I take in a colored man, a traveling man. My late husband, Isaac Jackson, drew a pension of $14.00 per month. I know he suffered all the time with rheumatism in his feet and left side and arm and lower part of his back. I don't know anything about whether he was in the Civil War or whether he was in the regular Army. I didn't know him while he was in the service. I have not remarried since the death of my husband Isaac Jackson.
    I was not with him when he died. I was on a little visit at Douglas, Arizona. I left Albuquerque on Friday, no, Saturday night, and he fell dead the following Friday night. He was city jailer at Albuquerque, that is we lived there and fed the prisoners. He had that job about six months before he died. When I started away on that visit, we were living together. We were living in the City Hall. We were never divorced or separated. We got along nicely and never had any trouble. As soon as my husband died, Mr. McMillan, the Chief of Police at Albuquerque, and someone else, don't know who it was, telegraphed me that my husband was dead. My husband had borrowed enough money to send me to Douglas, Arizona, but when I got the telegram that he was dead, I couldn't do anything as I had no money. If I had had the money, I certainly would have gone back to my husband's funeral. My health was not good, and that is how my husband happened to send me to Douglas, Arizona. He thought I was going into consumption.
Q. Who went with you to Douglas, Arizona?
A. I was alone; there was no one on the train that I knew. There was no one I went to Douglas to see. I just went to try to get well, to travel around a little. I was in Douglas about a month. Did not do anything. Wasn't able to do anything, was practically almost crazy worrying about my husband. At Douglas, I stopped with a colored lady by the name of Mrs. Johnson. I've forgotten her first name. She was a widow, don't know what her husband's name was. She had a rooming house on the end of Main St., down the lower end of the Main St., but I've forgotten the number. I took my meals with Mrs. Johnson too, and sometimes I went out to eat.
    A good many of them gave me money and helped me until I kind of got straightened up. Mrs. Johnson helped me herself and some of the roomers in the house. The people in the house were all colored. One who helped me was a preacher of, I think, the Methodist Church. His name was Johnson too. I don't know whether his name was Albert or Malvern or something. He had a little property there. They were the only ones that helped me. The boarders were goers and comers. I never paid much attention to them. Don't remember any of them except Mrs. Johnson and the preacher and a woman who worked for a lawyer, don't know the lawyer's name. I think the name of that woman was Anna, but I don't know her last name.
    When I kind of got straightened up, I went to work at the Queen Hotel as a cook. But they got a case of diphtheria and went broke and as they had no money to pay me, I got nothing. I was there about two weeks. They were all white people at the hotel. Don't recall the name of the people who ran the hotel. Her husband used to be manager for a couple of Chinese who had a store at Tombstone, Arizona. He was manager of the mine, but drank so he lost the job. At the Queen Hotel, I knew a young lady who was a milliner. Can't think of her name. She tried to commit suicide, but I think she got well. After I lost that job in the Queen Hotel I went to work for the wife of a saloon man, but can't think of his name. Then I used to know this deputy sheriff there, but I forgot his name.
    From Douglas I went to Bisbee, Arizona. I was about Bisbee for about three months. I worked for Mrs. O'Bryant who ran a boarding house at a little town called Warren, which was around the mountain from Bisbee. No one else knew me there but Mrs. Bryant, for I just stayed there on the place and worked. No one went with me from Douglas to Bisbee. From Bisbee, I went to Tombstone, Arizona. I was there pretty nearly a year. I first worked in a hotel as chambermaid. Can't think of the name of the hotel. But the people I worked for in the hotel was Davis. Was at that hotel about three months, I think. I don't know the first name of either Mrs. Davis or Mr. Davis, it has been so long. A Mrs. Beasley, I think that is the name, owned the hotel, and I think that the Davises were buying the hotel. Mrs. Beasley ran a big store at Tombstone. She knew me off a distance. I think her name was Beasley.
    From the hotel, I went to work in a Chinese restaurant for a Chinaman named Wang or Whang or something like that. I was there nearly a year. A butcher there knew me, but I can't think of his name. I knew a good many people there, but I can't think of their names. I knew the white lady who ran the Sunnyside Hotel, but I can't think of her name. After I quit working at the Chinese restaurant, I went to work for Mrs. Hammond or Hammon or some such name. She ran a boarding house. She was a white lady and was a sister to the woman who ran the Sunnyside Hotel. I quit the Chinese restaurant because the Chinaman worried me. He wanted me to marry him because I was smart and could work. I was with Mrs. Hammon or Hammond four or five months. Then next I went to Phoenix, Arizona. I was there between two and three years. There I worked out by the day, went out nursing a while, and the last work I did there I went out to the Sacaton Indian School and worked for Mr. Alexander who was a Supt. out there.
    While I was in and about Phoenix, I knew lots of people if I could think of their names. I knew a colored man there who runs a big barber shop, but I can't think of his name. His shop was on the street that ran up from the depot. I should judge it was about two or three blocks from the depot and on the right-hand side as you go up from the depot. The barber was a pretty well-off man. I knew a saloon man at Phoenix, a colored man, name is Winston or Wineston or something like that. Then I left the Indian school. I went out of Phoenix about 12 miles to nurse for the stage driver's wife. She had a baby, and it died. I went out there to nurse her and the baby, and was there about three weeks. They called the stage stand Glendale, on the desert or on the plain. The stage driver and his wife I think was Mr. and Mrs. Quinels [sic], I think that was their name, Wineston or Winston Saloon was on the street that ran up from the City Hall. Payne was his name. He and another man, either a Mexican and a white man, were in partnership in the saloon and a hotel.
    From Phoenix, I went to San Francisco. I didn't like it there, couldn't get any work, and I was there only about two months. I went to Frisco alone. I met lots of people there. I met a colored girl named Nina Jones who was traveling with a show. I heard she was dead. I had met her at different places. I didn't have much money there, and I sold some Indian baskets that I got at Sacaton; I sold those baskets to a curio dealer named Harry Drachman. His place of business was on Gary St. I've forgotten the number. I don't know what cross street he was near. He is a white man. He used to have a big park out from Tucson, Ariz., and I used to go from Tombstone up to his park when they had big days. That's where I got acquainted with him.
    From Frisco, I went to Palo Alto and Mayfield and was there about a couple of years. I washed and ironed and went out to work by the day. At Mayfield I knew the corresponding lady of the paper. She wrote up the items for the San Jose paper. Her name was Mrs. Hight. She is a lady I used to wash for. I made my home at Mayfield with Mr. and Mrs. J. Chacon, white people. They are still there, for I had a letter from Mrs. Chacon just a few days ago. A Spanish lady named Mary Sota knew me there at Mayfield, Calif. She is still there. From Mayfield, I went to Sacramento, Calif. I was there only a couple of months. I was kind of resting up. I didn't know anyone there. I made no acquaintance there. I went there alone.
    I always travel alone. I have no partners. From Sacramento, I went to Marysville, Calif. I didn't get anything to do there and didn't stay but a month or a little over when I went to Woodland, Calif., where I remained 2 or 2½ years, am not sure as to the length of time. While I was there, I knew a Mr. Pinto. I rented a house from him. I rented rooms. I knew his wife, Pearl Pinto, and his mother but don't know her first name. Her husband is dead. Do not remember his first name. I traded at Johnson's Grocery on Main St. The young Mr. Pinto had to have a guardian after his father died. I can't just now think of the guardian's name. I knew Mr. Cleary, the night watchman at Woodland. I knew the sheriff there but I can't think of his name. It's been 2 years since I left Woodland. I knew lots of ladies I worked for, but I can't think of their names. Mr. Pinto's guardian was Louie Nardino who ran a saloon. He was a well-to-do Italian.
    From Woodland, I came here to Medford and have been here ever since. I came two years ago. Nearly all the time I have been here I've been in the rooming house business. Those who have known me best since I've been here are Mr. Brown, saloon man on the corner right across from the Nash Hotel and Mr. Hunt, bartender in the Moore Hotel. I rent from Dr. Frederick C. Page. Mr. Kidd, shoe store near, has known me, so has Mr. Strong, drugstore man. I have lived with no man in relation of wife and have had no man around except help in my rooming house. I have no education, and I have to have someone to help me to look after the books and things.
    I was born in Bellville, Austin Co., Texas, July 30, and I was 38 last July. I raised myself, was first one place and then another. I had a stepfather, and he treated me so badly, I had to get out for myself. He hated Mexicans, and he thought because my father was a Mexican, he did not like me. My father was Jim Levenberry. My mother was named Rose. She was what they called a Creole, was fair and had straight hair. She is dead. I think I was about 10 or 11 years old when I went to live with a white woman, Miss Lou Gee, at Caddo Peak, Johnson Co., Texas. Don't know where she is. She has a sister living in Cleburne, Texas, Mrs. Dr. E. L. Menefee. I think I was with Miss Gee nearly 3 years. Then I went back to Bellville, Texas. Don't know exactly how long I was there.
    I went to work for a white lady named Mrs. Dade Johnson, wife of Abner Johnson, who lived on a hay ranch in the Cochran neighborhood near what they called the Bend about 10 miles from Bellville, either east or west. I made my home with them for about a year, I think. Then I went to work for a cousin of Mrs. Johnson named Annie, wife of Lawyer Paulus of Hallettsville, Texas. I think I was there four or five or six months. Then I went to a lady, a Jew lady, who ran the section boarding house at Hallettsville. Her name was Mrs. Pepper. I think I was with her 2 or 3 months.
    Then I went to Cuero, Texas, where I worked for a colored lady, Mrs. Fannie Mitchell, who ran a boarding house. Was with her quite a long while, I should judge about 2 or 3 months. I left Mr. Mitchen and went to Houston, Texas, where I worked for a white lady, Miss Annie, have forgotten her last name. She ran a boarding house. While there, I took sick with malaria and was sick a long while with a lady, Annie Taylor, who was running a rooming house in Houston on near 3rd St., close by the Watts Baptist Church near the Arkansas Pass R.R. The doctor told me I would have to get away from there, so I went to Trinity, Texas. He was a colored doctor who told me to leave Houston, but I have forgotten his name. I judge I was at Trinity a year and maybe a year and a half. I worked there for a colored lady, Mrs. Emily Scott, who had a store and a hotel there. Her husband's name was Walter Scott. Mrs. Scott was the only one I worked for at Trinity.
    Then I went to Huntsville and worked for the postmaster. Can't think of his name. I knew a white man named Roundtree at Huntsville. They were wealthy people. I also knew Professor Crow there. I was at Huntsville about 6 or 7 months, or something like that. I was a strip of a girl then and didn't pay any attention to my age. From Huntsville, I went to Valley Mills, Texas. At that time I was engaged to a school teacher named Sadler that I met in Trinity. I went to Valley Mills to visit his people. Was there I guess 2 or 3 months. Sadler's father was a preacher. Don't know his first name. There was a Grant Sadler and Willy and Beck. While I was at Sadler's, I met a Spanish lady, Mrs. Fletcher, who was running a restaurant at McGregor, Texas. I went and worked for her a while.
    Then I worked for a traveling agent, a drummer by the name of Norton. That's all of his name I knew. I think he was a grocery drummer, and he lived in McGregor. He had a wife and two children. The wife's name was Irene. I should judge I was at McGregor a little over a year, maybe. From McGregor, I went to Temple, Texas, and was there quite a long while, I should judge about 4 or 5 months or something like that. I worked for a Mrs. Scott whose husband run a livery stable. Then I worked for a lady whose husband had a grocery store, but I can't think of their names. I had rheumatism there, and I went out to Lampasas, Texas, for a few weeks.
    Then I went to Cleburne, Texas, for about 2 or 3 months. I worked in the family of a man who ran a lumber yard and who lived up on Main St. His name was Tomlin. I don't remember his full name, but hers was Millie Tomlin. From Cleburne, I went to Dallas and worked for a Jew lady named Mrs. Wolfe who lived on the corner of Murillo and Browder Sts. for about a month. Then I worked about 3 weeks for Mrs. Snyder on, I think, on Akard St. but I have forgotten her number. From Dallas, I went to Forney, Texas, to work as a cook on a hay ranch. Have forgotten the man's name who ran the hay ranch. I worked there 3 or 4 weeks, then I went to Rockwall, Texas, and worked a while in Dr. Key's family. Then to Ennis, Texas for a short while where I worked for the wife of a freight conductor.
    Then I went to Corsicana, Tex., and worked for Mrs. Eli Fox. They were Jews and had a big store. Then to Brownwood, Texas, was there a short time and worked for a banker named Yantis. Then to Cisco, Texas, wasn't there long. I don't remember anyone then, except Prof. Crow. I remember his name by an accident that happened to him. They were building a compress there, Prof. Crow was looking on, and a two by four struck him in the head. They rushed Dr. Bell from Ft. Worth, and the Prof. got well.
    From Cisco, I went to Abilene, Texas, where I worked for Banker Steffens. Then I met Andrew Smith whom I married there. Don't remember the date. I paid no attention to such things then. We lived together not quite two years. After our marriage, I went to Roswell, New Mexico, where I went to work for Mr. Starkweather, the road master. I had him send my husband a ticket and he came out to Roswell. We were living there when my husband and I separated. He wouldn't work, and I had to make the living. I didn't like that, and we separated.
    I went to Carlsbad, New Mexico, and worked in the Wilson Hotel. From there, I went to Pecos, Texas, and worked in a boarding house. Then I went to El Paso for a few days. I heard of a job at Rincon where I worked as a cook in a little hotel. Then I went to Albuquerque, New Mexico, where I met Isaac Jackson. There I got a divorce from Andrew Smith. I furnished a copy of the record of this divorce. I married Andrew Smith in Big Spring, Texas.
    After I got my divorce from Andrew Smith, I was married to Isaac Jackson May 30, 1901. I lived with Jackson there in Albuquerque, New Mexico, until I went away on that visit to Douglas. Those who knew Isaac Jackson and myself and know we lived together are Mr. and Mrs. Isherwood. He was an old soldier. I think she had a milliner store. Then there was Mr. McMillen, Chief of Police, Mr. and Mrs. McCrate. He was evening paper man. Mr. and Mrs. Geo. Leanere [George K. Neher], who ran the While Elephant Saloon. All these people will know about the death of my late husband, Isaac Jackson.
    The Grand Army [of the Republic] buried him; that's what they told me. The Grand Army records there ought to show the date of his death. I don't know whether there is any public record of his death or not. These two marriages I have told you of are all I have contracted. Before I was ever married at all I was known amongst the people I worked for by the name of Julia; sometimes they called me Bee and sometimes Levenberry. They used to call my father Jim Bee and my mother Rose Bee and sometimes Berries. Isaac Jackson said he was never married before he married me. He said I was his first wife.
Q. By whom can you prove that he was never previously married?
A. He told people in Albuquerque that he was never married before. He told me the night we were married that some officer of his who knew my husband when he was a drummer boy in 1861 was in town that night, and he, the officer, was surprised that my husband was going to get married. Seems to me my husband told me that this officer was a major or a captain. As near as I can recollect, he told me it was Captain Day. Captain Taylor and Gayhart who had been in the Army, I understood, knew my husband when he was a soldier. I think I heard that Capt. Taylor was dead and that Gayhart had gone to someplace in Montana and started a business. I do not know of anyone else who knew my husband before he went to Albuquerque. He told me of others, but I don't remember their names.
    I do not know of any place where my husband lived before he went to Albuquerque, only he told me that he was last discharged at, I think, Fort Huachuca. He was most intimate with all the old soldiers at Albuquerque. I've forgotten their names. I remember Mr. Ishawood. I have no children. I don't think it is necessary for me to be present during the examination of witnesses here or elsewhere. Neither do I think it necessary to employ an attorney present. I have made no contract to pay a fee. I have paid no fees. I am not drawing any pension, but I applied for pension as a widow of Andrew, no, Isaac Jackson. I never married the school teacher, Sadler, whom I was engaged to. I think it was Conductor Wiley I worked for at Ennis, Texas.
12 Feb. 1914--A deposition is given by R. W. Waters, age 49, address 318 E. Main St., Medford, Oregon, occupation, merchant:
    I was in Albuquerque, New Mexico, in 1898 or 1899, was there not to exceed a week at that time. I was back there again about the latter part of 1901. Was there probably a week or 10 days. Have never been back there since. Have been in Medford just about three years. I know Julia Jackson who goes here, I believe, by the name of Levenberry or some such name. I know her as Julia Jackson, and in fact, I guess she goes by both names. I think she is generally considered as a colored woman, though I would call her Mexican. I have known her here about two years. When I first saw her here, I knew she was a woman I had seen someplace, but I couldn't decide.
    When I talked to her and learned who she was, I remember having met her in Albuquerque, New Mexico. I met her first on the occasion of my second visit there. At that time, I understood she was the wife of Isaac Jackson, a colored soldier. He told me he was a soldier, and he claimed that Julia was his wife. I got acquainted with him the first visit I made there. I can't say positively whether he was married then or not. It was my understanding that they were living together as man and wife when I was in Albuquerque the second time, I can't say whether Isaac Jackson had ever been married before or not. I haven't the slightest idea. I wasn't at Albuquerque when he died. I think I was in Los Angeles when I heard of his death.
    I have no knowledge that Julia Jackson has married since she came to Medford. I've never heard of anything of that kind, and the chances are I would have heard it if she had married. She is keeping a rooming house for white people. Her rooming house is just off the business section. I've never heard a word against the place she is running. She had rooms over my store for a year and a half or something like that. As far as I ever could see, she conducted herself perfectly straight. I know of nothing out of the way with her. I have no knowledge that she has lived with any man in the relation of wife since she has been here, and I've really never heard of any such thing. I can't say that I know from my own knowledge that Julia and Isaac Jackson lived together up to his death, but I was under the impression that they did.
12 Feb. 1914--Deposition of Frederick C. Page, age 46, occupation real estate, Medford, Oregon:
    I think when this claimant first came here, the name she went under was Julia Levenberry. I've never heard her called Julia Jackson but have heard that name mentioned. She bought the lease of a rooming house I owned and occupied it, I should say at a guess over two years. I have no knowledge that she has remarried since she came here. I have no knowledge that she has lived with any man in the relation of wife.
12 Feb. 1914--Deposition of George A. Hurt. My age is 28, occupation retail liquor business, Medford, Oregon:
    I have known Julia Jackson about two years. She now runs the Seattle Rooming House. Formerly, she ran the Royal Rooming House belonging to Dr. Page. I used to take stuff up to the house of her roomers, that is in a business way. She has not remarried since she moved here. She has not lived with any man in the relation of wife to my knowledge, and I never heard that she had. She was by some called Julia Levenberry. I know when she was mentioned in the paper or anything like that it was under the name of Julia Jackson. She is in the phone directory under the name of Julia Levenberry. I don't know that she passes as a colored woman. Never heard one way or the other.
12 Feb. 1914--Julia Jackson gives another deposition, starting with the following questions:
Q. Are you known by any name other than Julia Jackson?
A. Just my first name, Julia B.
Q. How is your name carried in the telephone directory?
A. I had it Julia Levenberry in the phone book.
Q. What is your legal or lawful name?
A. Julia Jackson.
Q. Why did you have your name put in the phone directory as Julia Levenberry?
A. They got them mixed up; they got my name in wrong. The new book that is coming out will have my name Julia Jackson. I want them to get it right.
Q. When you first came to Medford and bought the lease to the Royal Rooming House, under what name did you lease the property?
A. I don't know whether it was put in as Jackson or Levenberry. Sometimes I would put my name as Jackson and sometimes Levenberry.
Q. Why have you used the name Levenberry?
A. Well, just not thinking.
Q. How did you happen to go under the name of Levenberry? There must have been some reason for it.
A. Levenberry was my name before I was married. Sometimes, I would sign my name Levenberry, and sometimes I would sign it Jackson. I never got a divorce from Mr. Jackson, and neither Mr. Jackson or myself ever applied for a divorce. Nothing like that. We lived together and got along happy. I show you the lease in the Royal Rooming House. In this lease my name appears as Julia Levenberry, and I signed the lease as Julia Levenberry. This was before I had ever thought of getting a pension. The way I happened to apply for a pension was because the old soldiers here urged me to apply. I didn't know anything about that. The people I knew in California and Arizona knew me by the name Julia Jackson. No, sir, they did not know me as Julia Levenberry. My father's name was Levenberry, it was a kind of Mexican name. Sometimes they called him B. Berry, but his correct name was Jim B. Levenberry.
10 May 1914--Isaac S. Ayers' deposition:
    I am 48 years of age, address 272 Convent St., Tucson, Ariz., occupation janitor. I am an ex-member of the State Legislature. I know Julia Levenberry. I first knew her at Albuquerque, New Mexico. That has been about nine years ago, as well as I can approximate the time. I happened to be present at her marriage with Andrew (really Isaac) Jackson, an old Grand Army man there in Albuquerque. She was then quite a stranger to me, or rather my acquaintance with her was only slight, and I forgot what name she had or went by and under which she was married with said Andrew Jackson.
    I know she had been married before by reason of the fact that she had a child. I did not have a personal acquaintance with her former husband or the father of her child. He and I used to change divisions as chair car porters on the Santa Fe Railroad, and he used to send word to his wife by me. Was about all the acquaintance I had with him. His name has come to me now, it was Higgins, but I cannot recall his first name. Yes, I carried messages from him to Julia as his wife. In fact, we all boarded at the same place for a while at Smith's Boarding House, that is, when I would be out he would be in and vice versa. Her child's name was Gladys Higgins. Julia separated from Higgins, and I heard he died at Carlsbad, New Mexico. In fact, I know he died there, because it was reported in the minutes of the Grand Lodge of Masons. No, Higgins did not die before she married Andrew Jackson. Higgins sued her for a divorce at Winslow, New Mexico. Yes, he procured a divorce. I know that because she married Andrew Jackson soon afterward. I remember passing him on the train and hollering to him, "Your widow got married last evening."
    Yes, I saw Julia and Andrew Jackson get married. They were married in the A.M.E. Church in Albuquerque. I think Rev. Jones was the man who performed their wedding ceremony. I boarded with them after their marriage up on Third St. there in Albuquerque. I had then quit the road and was working in a saloon. I forgot the number of their house, but Jackson was in the saloon business with a partner named Gayhart just across the street from were they lived.
    No, Julia and Andrew Jackson did not separate, however, I don't think she was at home at the time that he died, in fact I know she was not. She was away on a visit. They were in charge of city hall at the time, that is, they had charge of the prisoners. No, I did not see Andrew Jackson die, but I helped to pick him up off the sidewalk where he had fallen dead. No, I did not see him fall. It occurred about two o'clock in the afternoon. I suppose he had been dead not more than five or ten minutes when I reached his remains. He was a member of the Masonic Order, of which I am a member, but we did not belong to the same lodge. Well, it was decided at the inquest that he died of heart failure.
    Yes, it was my understanding that there was a coroner's inquest held over the remains. I was called away and do not know of the inquest except from hearsay. He was getting pretty old, was very feeble and was sickly anyway. After the death of Andrew Jackson, the first place I next saw Julia was right here in Tucson. She came here and was inquiring for me. I think I was the only person whom she knew here. I was coming up the street and met her. She had come here to cook for Mr. Franklin, who was in the real estate business here at the time, but is now in Los Angeles, Calif. He had sent her transportation to come here. I judge that was about eight months after the death of Andrew Jackson. She stayed here about two years, and this was my home during all that time, but I was not here all the time, but was nearly all the time.
    Then I removed from here to Tombstone, Arizona, and went into business. She was running a rooming house at 51 Main St., Tucson, Arizona, and she wrote to my wife that business was dull here and she had a notion to sell out and come to Tombstone if there was an opening for her there. A lady, Mrs. Cummings, of Tombstone told my wife she would give Julia a job if she would come there, and wife wrote and told her and she came there to Tombstone and worked for Mrs. Cummings. We removed from there to Cananea, Mex., and left her at Tombstone. I never saw her again until she came through here on her way west as she informed me at the time. I think she only stayed at Tombstone about four or five months, because my wife went from Cananea to Douglas, Arizona, and found Julia there.
    Well, it was in the fall of the year 1907 that I met Julia last as stated. I then had occasion to go to Phoenix, myself and wife, and Julia was there then. She was living there with her husband, Mr. Levenberry. His first name was William Levenberry. Now, of course, I do not know that she was married to William Levenberry. Julia introduced William Levenberry to my wife and myself and said they had been married at Douglas, Arizona. No, I did not visit them at their home. They were stopping at a hotel or rooming house there in Phoenix, temporarily, en route west. Said they were expecting to go to Canada. My wife had visited Julia and William Levenberry at their home in Douglas at the time she made the visit there from Cananea, Mex. Yes, wife stayed with them during the time she was in Douglas. She was there under the care of Dr. Swine for some two months. Yes, wife is yet living, but at present she is visiting at Flatonia, Texas.
    Yes, I said Julia married a man here in Tucson. She married a man named, a fellow named Bertram Lockett. I am not real sure but I think Rev. Cole performed their wedding ceremony. No, I did not see that wedding. Yes, I saw Julia and Bertram Lockett living together. They were married all right, because I saw their certificate of marriage framed and hanging on the wall of their home here in Tucson. Being shown a certified copy of marriage record of Julia Jackson and John Lockett, I am satisfied that John Lockett and Bertram Lockett were one and the same person. You know how some people are, some go by two or three different names. He was the only man named Lockett whom I ever knew to be here. It is not a matter within my knowledge one way or the other as to whether Julia was ever divorced from Mr. Lockett. I know he got into trouble here and "skipped out." I remember when wife and I last saw her in Phoenix we both asked her particularly whether she had procured a divorce from Lockett, and at that time she said she had filed a petition for divorce and that her attorney had got information from some source that Lockett had been killed by a railroad train while beating his way. On reflection, I know she did not get a divorce from Lockett, because she told us Judge Doane of Tombstone had advised her that inasmuch as Lockett was presumed to be dead and she could not get anymore definite information concerning him, she would be safe in marrying again. She also said Frank Doane, her attorney, had advised her similarly. Frank Doane lives in Douglas now, I believe.
    Being shown a certified copy of a marriage record in which the contracting parties were Isaac Jackson and Julia Smith, I will explain that Isaac was Mr. Jackson's real name, but we called him Andrew. I had known him for years, thirty-odd years. He was an old sergeant. I first knew him at Jefferson Barracks, Missouri. I served in Troop I, 9th Cavalry. Not that I ever knew or heard of said Isaac or Andrew Jackson ever been married before he married Julia. Let me see, I think I have heard him say that he had never been married. I am sure I have. I remember remarking to him about the time he married Julia that he had waited a long time to get married, and his reply was, "I think I am making the wrong move now." I remember the night of the wedding I got there before he did and remarked to Julia, "Well, Isaac's here," just to tease her.
    Having my attention called to a certified copy of divorce record in which Julia Smith was divorced from Andrew Smith, I have no knowledge of Julia having been the wife of a man named Smith. Nor did I remember said Andrew Smith. According to that it would appear that Julia was never married with Higgins. Well, now that the examiner suggests it, it may be that Higgins' real name was Smith, but if so, I don't know anything about it. We always called him Higgins. On reflection, I do remember hearing Mrs. Durham, where Julia and I both roomed, called Julia Mrs. Smith, but I know that she and Higgins came here to Albuquerque as husband and wife.
    Julia was about five feet four or five inches high, medium-sized, not a mulatto but a light brown-complexioned woman, had when I saw her, had two teeth missing on right side of her mouth, lower jaw I think, was uneducated, could neither read nor write. No, she could not write her own name. Her hair was nearly straight. She was a very smart, industrious woman. No, she did not have any Mexican or Spanish blood, I am quite sure of that. No, I do not know what her father's name had been, do not know what her maiden name had been.
    Yes, I do know and know positively that the woman whom I have known as Julia Higgins, Julia Smith, Julia Jackson, Julia Lockett, and Julia Levenberry is one and the same person and is the same woman whom I saw married with Isaac Jackson at Albuquerque, New Mexico. Yes, I heard of Julia since I last saw her as she was on her way west. I was living in Prescott, Arizona, for a while, and a friend of mine, James A. Coleman, came through after a trip up into Canada. He knew Julia well, and I asked him if he had seen anything of her up that way, and he said, "No, she is not up there, she is in Bakersfield, Calif. She is running a rooming house there, and her husband is in a barber shop there." I have never heard of hair nor hide of Lockett since he "skipped" from here, except what Julia told me about him. It comes to my memory now that I heard more direct from Julia since I saw her last then as stated above.
    My wife went over to Los Angeles to have some dental work done, and while there, she met Julia and her husband, Mr. Levenberry, on the street in Los Angeles. She asked them if they lived in Los Angeles, and they told her no, they lived at Bakersfield but were just in Los Angeles for a visit. That was three years ago. That is the last time I have heard of Julia until today. My wife and Julia first got acquainted here in Tucson. The only thing I know of about Isaac Jackson's relatives is that he said he had a sister somewhere in the East, but I do not remember her name nor where she lived. I remember seeing him have some Christmas presents fixed up to send to his sister's children. The child was [the] only relative of Julia I ever knew of. I have often heard her say she did not know her own people, that some white people reared her. Yes, I have named all of the husbands I have ever known or heard of Julia having. No, I never served the same company or regiment with Isaac Jackson. He belonged to the 10th Cavalry. I am not related to the claimant by blood or marriage.
10 Sept. 1914--Julia Jackson gives her deposition:
    I am 38 years of age, address 33 S. Front St., Medford, Oregon, occupation proprietress Seattle Rooming House and Julian Cafe.
Q. Mrs. Jackson, I show you an application for pension signed by Julia Jackson claiming pension as the widow of Isaac Jackson, and which said application was executed before Mr. B. R. McCabe, a Notary Public for Oregon, in this city on Feb. 1, 1913, and which bears the Pension Bureau stamp of Feb. 10, 1913 and marked 1, with blue pencil. Did you sign said application?
A. Yes, sir.
Q. Were you sworn to that paper by Mr. McCabe?
A. Yes, sir.
Q. Were Stacey and Richards sworn?
A. Yes, sir.
Q. Did you know what that application purported to be to which you signed your name and were sworn by Mr. McCabe on Feb. 1, 1913, as fully set forth above?
A. Yes, an application for a pension as a widow of my late husband, Isaac Jackson.
Q. In the said application for pension appears the following: "that she was never divorced from said soldier, and that she has not remarried since his death," the entire line being in print except the word "not," did you know that the said application for pension contained that printed line with the word "not" inserted by a typewriter?
A. Yes, sir.
Q. Did you know then and there, to wit, on Feb. 1, 1913, when you executed the said application for pension before the said B. R. McCabe, Notary for Oregon as aforesaid, intend to swear that you had not remarried since the death of your former husband, Isaac Jackson, a soldier in the U.S. Army at one time, and on whose account or on account of whose said service in the U.S. Army you were applying for pension as his widow?
A. Yes, sir, that is what I fully intended to swear. I have not remarried since my said husband Isaac Jackson died. I lived just one place or another and got along the best I could.
Q. I show another paper, to wit, an affidavit executed before Mr. H. L. DeArmond, a Notary Public for Oregon, on Sept. 29, 1913. Did you sign this paper?
A. Yes, I signed that paper.
Q. Were you sworn to that affidavit?
A. Yes, Mr. DeArmond swore me.
Q. Did you know that the said affidavit contained the statement to wit, "and I have not remarried since the death of the said Isaac Jackson."
A. Yes, I knew that, that statement was contained in that affidavit when I swore to the same.
Q. Mrs. Jackson, I wish here and now to advise you that you need make no statement to me that will tend to your incrimination, and that any statement you may now make to me must be voluntarily made and can be used against you in a future criminal prosecution. Do you understand this fully?
A. Yes, I know what you meant that I need admit nothing, but now since you have shown me the marriage certificate of Julia Jackson to John Lockett, Aug. 22, 1903 at Tucson, Arizona, I do remember that marriage. I was legally married to Lockett as far as I know. He was from Panama, and I don't know what became of him. I was never divorced from him. I am the Julia Jackson who was married to John Lockett at Tucson, Arizona, Aug. 22, 1903, but my mind has been so bad, and my memory so poor, that I forgot about that entirely. I am really not well yet. It was on account of my entire loss of memory that I forgot all about the Lockett marriage until you called my attention to it just now.
Q. Do you mean to say that you have had trouble with your mind?
A. Yes, ever since I lost Mr. Jackson. I would get nervous and flighty and forget all about happenings. My mother before me was just the same way, and Mr. Jackson, my husband, often told me that I was not right mentally. I thought I was going to go crazy. I used to go for weeks without eating or drinking, and I do that yet. I was working for Mr. P. B. Ziegler of Tucson, Arizona. They had a big candy store, and I was so bad mentally that Mrs. Ziegler called in a doctor, and he told me that if I did not get better he would have to send me to Phoenix, meaning the insane asylum. It all comes to me now, but I had clean forgotten it. Lockett was a black man, but claimed not to be a negro, but from some other country, don't know where. I was persuaded by Mrs. Ziegler to marry Lockett as she thought it might help my mental condition, but I did not improve any and we just drifted apart, and I don't know what happened to him. I don't know how long I lived with Lockett, and I don't know when we separated. You see, my memory is so poor I am unable to remember those things.
Q. From pages 6 to 10, inclusive, of your statement before Harold Tracy, a Special Examiner of this Bureau, on Feb. 11, 1914, you minutely described your movements from the time you left Albuquerque, New Mexico, until you arrived here. Yet you skipped Tucson, Arizona, altogether, though you were there and worked for the Zieglers almost a year as you have just told me. How did you happen to overlook Tucson, Arizona, the place where you married John Lockett in 1903?
A. I don't remember. I thought I had told Mr. Tracy about living at Tucson.
Q. Did you also tell Mr. Tracy about marrying John Lockett?
A. No, because I did not remember anything about that.
Q. Then you mean to say that at the time you swore to the application for pension as to the widow of Isaac Jackson before Mr. B. R. McCabe, a Notary for Oregon on Feb. l, 1913, and when you made an affidavit before Mr. H. L. DeArmond on Sept. 29, 1913, in which you swore that you had not remarried since the death of Isaac Jackson, that you had for the time being entirely forgotten your marriage to John Lockett, Aug. 22, 1903 at Tucson, Arizona?
A. Yes, that is just what I mean to say. When I was a girl about 14, I sustained an injury to the head, and from that time on, I have suffered from severe headaches, and I have lapses of memory more or less all the time, times when I can remember nothing about what happened in the past. That is the only explanation I can make as to why I forgot all about my marriage to Lockett.
Q. Well, you knew, did you not, that your marriage to John Lockett forfeited your right and title to pension as a widow of Isaac Jackson?
A. No, I did not, although it does occur to me that the Rev. V. M. Cole said something about it, but I don't remember what it was. Mr. and Mrs. Ziegler can testify as to how my mind was affected in Tucson. There was a doctor here living at the Medford Hotel once who used to treat me for my headaches, but he has gone, and I cannot recall his name. Dr. M. C. Barber of this place also treated me for headaches. I have these headaches so bad that the doctor had to give me morphine. That is about all I can tell you. I really did not remember that I had married John Lockett when I made out my application for pension Feb. 1, 1913 and when I swore to that affidavit before Mr. DeArmond on Sept. 19, 1913. I have not been offered any promise of immunity and freely and voluntarily make the above statements, which has been fully and carefully read to me. I have understood your questions and am fully and correctly recorded herein.
10 Sept. 1914--Bert R. McCabe deposition:
    I am 47 years of age, occupation city attorney and notary public, address Medford, Oregon.
Q. Mr. McCabe, I show you an original application for widow's pension, signed Julia Jackson, in which said Julia Jackson alleges that she is the widow of Isaac Jackson, to whom she alleges to have been married at Albuquerque, New Mexico, under the name of Julia Smith on May 30, 1901, and which said application bears date of execution before you as a Notary Public for Oregon on Feb. 1, 1913. Do you remember that woman?
A. Yes, I remember her.
Q. Could you identify her again?
A. Yes, although it has been some time since I saw her.
Q. Was she sworn to that application?
A. Yes, she and her witnesses, Stacey and Richards, were both sworn. I did not know Richards, though I knew Stacey, but don't know where he is. The application for pension above referred to was not prepared in my office or under my direction, but was brought to me already prepared with the names, dates, and other data already filled in, by typewriter, as said application now appears and which said application I have again inspected. I read to the said Julia Jackson the entire contents of the said application for pension, and she was familiar with the same at the time she was sworn. I did not ask her any questions.
10 Sept. 1914--Hugh L. DeArmond gives his deposition:
    I am 35 years of age, occupation attorney at law and notary public, address Medford, Oregon.
Q. Mr. DeArmond, I show you an affidavit bearing the signature of Julia Jackson and executed before you as Notary Public for Oregon on Sept. 29, 1913 in this city. Do you know Julia Jackson?
A. Yes.
Q. Could you identify her?
A. Yes.
Q. Did you prepare the said affidavit which relates to a matter under the jurisdiction of the Commissioner of Pensions, whose name is referred to, or rather which title is referred to, in said application or affidavit?
A. Yes, I prepared that myself.
Q. What did you understand to be the purpose of said affidavit executed before you on Sept. 29, 1913, as above referred to?
A. She told me that among other things, said affidavit was to assist her in obtaining a pension from the U.S. government as a widow of Isaac Jackson.
Q. Did the said Julia Jackson dictate the contents of the said affidavit executed before you on Sept. 29, 1913, as above referred to?
A. Why, yes.
Q. The closing paragraph of said affidavit reads as follows, to wit, "and I have not remarried, since the death of the said Isaac Jackson." Did the said Julia Jackson make that statement to you?
A. Yes, and I so inserted her statement in the said affidavit executed before me on Sept. 29, 1913, by said Julia Jackson.
Q. Did you swear her to the contents of said affidavit executed before you on Sept. 29, 1913, including the words "and I have not remarried since the death of the said Isaac Jackson"?
A. Yes, I swore her to that statement.
10 Sept. 1914--Dr. M. C. Barber makes a deposition:
    I am 47 years of age, occupation practicing physician, address Medford, Oregon. I know Julia Jackson. I have treated her twice, once in 1912 and once in 1913. Both times I was called to see her at her house. She was suffering from severe headaches. They were so severe that I had to give her hypodermic injections. She was perfectly sober each time, and the headaches were due to some brain disturbance of an autointoxic nature. That was the conclusion I came to. I did not go into the case any further. She gave a history of frequent and severe headaches. While it could be possible that there are lapses of memory connected with such cases, I do not know that she was so affected, as I did not hear of the case again.
11 Sept. 1914--Special Examiner O. L. Sues, from San Francisco, writes to the Pension Bureau and states:
    In pursuance with your instructions contained in the law division letter, I have called on B. R. McCabe and H. L. DeArmond of Medford, and both gentlemen identified Julia Jackson as a person who signed and swore to statements that she had not remarried since the death of Isaac Jackson. I also called on the claimant and fully advised her of her constitutional rights, and it is so recorded in her deposition before two witnesses. She acknowledges having sworn to the statements which were referred to above and reiterated that she had not remarried since Isaac Jackson died.
    I then confronted her with a marriage certificate of John Lockett, and she freely acknowledged her identity as the Julia Jackson therein named, but that she had "clean forgotten all about that marriage, until this very minute when you showed me these papers." She claims that she suffers from headaches and lapses of memory and offers that as her excuse for having sworn that she had not remarried.
    I met with the attorney at Medford, and under his direction, I am to represent the government at the preliminary hearing at Medford, Oregon, on Monday, Sept. 14. We will ask bail in the sum of $2,000. The warrant for her arrest has been issued and will be served either late tomorrow or early Monday. The next grand jury convenes here on Sept. 21 and will be in session only one week. By arrangement, the Jackson case will be taken up on Tuesday, Sept. 22, for which I have been subpoenaed. In the grand jury proceedings, the U.S. District Attorney did not believe it to be necessary to subpoena anyone from the Pension Bureau as he is going to rely on the identification of the bureau stamp as evidence of filing, but at the trial, it will be different. I would suggest that if the Law Division has a copy of an indictment which has stood the test for violation of same law under similar circumstances, that same be mailed to me.
16 Sept. 1914--Mr. Sues, Special Examiner, writes to the Pension Bureau, and in his letter he restates many of the items previously mentioned. He also states that she was on a visit, but she had evidently deserted soldier who was quite an old negro, while she is a young negress of the mulatto type, and a poor reputation for morality.
    I received somewhat of a shock when Mr. McCabe, city attorney for Medford, Oregon, and one of our principal witnesses, was introduced as counsel for the defense. He stated that there was no defense, and defendant was held, bail being fixed in the sum of $2,000, upon which I insisted after having a previous arrangement with Mr. Reames. McCabe was holding out for $500. Not being able to give bond, defendant was taken to Portland, Oregon, by Deputy Marshal McSwain on Monday, and I proceeded south to headquarters. The grand jury at Portland convenes Monday, Sept. 21 and remains in session only one week. In the meantime, Julia will remain in jail in Portland, as there is no chance for her to get $2,000 bail. The papers in the case have been temporarily turned over to U.S. Attorney for Oregon, and same will be forwarded to the Bureau, together with my final report, at the completion of the trial.
16 Sept. 1914--The Law Division writes to the Special Examination Division that in reference to a letter from Special Examiner O. L. Sues, relative to the pension claim of Julia Jackson, be advised that there is no form of indictment brought under Section 4746 from which a copy can be furnished for use in the prosecution proceedings proposed in this case. It is suggested that this letter and enclosures be transmitted to Mr. Sues.
16 Sept. 1914--The Special Examination Division writes to Mr. Sues and states:
    Find herewith law division letter which has been approved by the commissioner for your information and guidance in the premises.
22 Sept. 1914--Mr. Sues writes from Portland, Oregon, to the Pension Bureau and states:
    In response to subpoena, I appeared before the U.S. grand jury in this city at 10 a.m. today in the case of Julia Jackson, but owing to several white slave cases having precedence, I was not called until 5 p.m., and did not leave the jury until 5:30 after explaining every detail of the case.
    It appears to be a practice in this district to allow defendants to appear before the grand jury at their own request, and such a request was made and granted in the case. Julia Jackson will appear before the grand jury tomorrow morning, and I have been advised that I may be called again late tomorrow afternoon. In the meantime, I have located a witness in the Harris case fifteen miles south of Hillsboro, Oregon, and in order to avoid the stormy and expensive trip to Coos County where her house is I will leave at 5 tomorrow morning to see this witness and be back in time to answer any further questions the grand jury may wish to put in the Jackson case.
    Mr. Clarence Reames, U.S. Attorney, left last night for Washington, and the case was conducted by his assistant, Mr. Johnson. At 10:45 a.m. I received the following telegram from the Honorable Commissioner: "After action by grand jury forward to Bureau papers Julia Jackson case which will be promptly returned for District Attorney." I showed that to Mr. Johnson, but he said he wanted to keep all papers until the indictment was drawn if such is found, and he will then forward papers to me. I will forward them as soon as released to me by the U.S. attorney here.
    The U.S. Court convenes at Medford, Oregon, Oct. 6 and will be in session a month. There are several important reservation murder cases on the docket, one with 62 witnesses, all having precedence over our case, so that if any indictment is found, it may be that trial may be deferred to the November term in this city, but I feel sure Julia will plead guilty if indicted. Tomorrow night, I leave for Eugene to complete work in Lane County, deferred on account of temporary absence of witnesses when there earlier this month.
28 Sept. 1914--On this date, the grand jury met and indicted Julia Jackson on three counts in which they stated that Julia Jackson applied for a pension and did at the time knowingly, willfully, fraudulently, falsely, corruptly, unlawfully, and feloniously made and procured to be presented an application for deceased husband, Isaac Jackson.
27 Oct. 1914--The U.S. Attorney at Portland, Oregon, informs Mr. Sues, Special Examiner:
    Please be advised that the case of Julia Jackson has been set for trial for the date of Nov. 13, 1914 at 10:00 a.m. Please arrange your affairs in such a way as to enable you to be here on that date. Subpoenas will probably be issued for witnesses in this case within the next few days, among them one for you. I am writing you, however, in order to give you all the time possible in which to make your plans to be here.
29 Oct. 1914--Mr. Sues informs the Pension Bureau that he has been advised by the U.S. Attorney at Portland, Oregon, about the trial of Julia Jackson. Attached to my report about the case of Fredericks, now Christiansen, I am to appear there before the U.S. grand jury in re: U.S. vs. Jas. W. Webber, alias John Webber, on Nov. 10, 1914 at 2:00 p.m. and possibly also in the Fredericks case, and in order to reach Portland, Oregon, for the Jackson trial at 10:00 a.m. Nov. 13, I will have to do some rather fast traveling, the nearest route being via San Francisco, l,255 miles. I have written the U.S. Attorney at Los Angeles to get the right-of-way for Nov. 10 and can get through that day and leave there on the "Owl," and it may be necessary for me to take train 12, "Shasta Limited," for Portland from here, on which there is an extra fare of $5.00, and I would ask the necessary authority to make that expenditure under the circumstances.
6 Nov. 1914--The Chief of Law Division writes to the Chief of the Special Examination Division and states:
    A telegram was addressed to Special Examiner O. L. Sues at Portland, Oregon, as follows:
    After action by grand jury, forward to bureau papers Julia Jackson case, which will be promptly returned for district attorney. The special examiner by letter dated Sept. 22, 1914 acknowledged receipt of the telegram and stated that the district attorney desired to hold the papers in the case until the indictment was drawn, Mr. Sues having appeared before the grand jury on Sept. 22, 1914. The papers in the case were not returned to the bureau either by Mr. Sues or by the district attorney or his assistant in compliance with the telegram referred to, and nothing further has been heard from Mr. Sues as to complying with the directions of the telegram, although the bureau has information that an indictment was found, and the case set for trial on the 13th instant, and therein Mr. Sues has been subpoenaed as a witness and has been directed to attend. Your attention is called to Mr. Sues' neglect and dereliction in not complying with the telegraphic request and is not following the matter up after the grand jury had disposed of the case and the district attorney had drawn the indictment, and it is suggested that Mr. Sues' attention be called to his failure to secure the return of the original papers to this bureau for further consideration here prior to the trial in order that he may make any explanation in the premises that he may desire and to prevent a similar recurrence in the future.
9 Nov. 1914--Mr. Sues receives a telegram from Portland, Oregon, which states:
    Notify Major O. L. Sues need not come to Portland in response to subpoena. Julia Jackson pleaded guilty today.
11 Nov. 1914--Mr. Sues writes to the Pension Bureau:
    In the case of Julia Jackson, who is now in the county jail at Portland, Oregon, and whose trial was set for Nov. 13, 1914, she having pleaded "not guilty." I have the honor to invite attention to the copy of a telegram to the U.S. Marshal hereto attached which would indicate that she has changed her plea to "guilty." I do not know the particulars, but am going to Portland as originally scheduled, having other important work there and will then get the papers in the case and mail same and my full report to the Bureau.
13 Nov. 1914--Mr. Sues writes his report to the Pension Bureau and states:
    I have the honor to return herewith all the papers and submit my report in the claim for pension of Julia Jackson. The papers were originally sent to Mr. Tracy and transferred to Mr. Hines who transferred same to me in August. On Sept. 10, claimant made a full confession to me, which is herewith and is submitted without comment. On Sept. 14, she was arrested at Medford on complaint and at the request of the U.S. Attorney here. I conducted her preliminary hearing at Medford, Oregon. She was held to answer to the federal grand jury in this city. The case came up on Sept. 22 at which I was called on to present all the facts to the grand jury upon which a true bill was found by them on Sept. 28 on three counts.
    On Sept. 22, 1914, I received a wire here, from you, requesting return of the papers to the Bureau. I at once took the message to Mr. Johnson, who had charge of the case and was promised the papers as soon as the indictment was drawn. I waited until Oct. 1, and not hearing from Mr. Johnson, wrote him both as to probable date of the trial and return of the papers. He replied under date of Oct. 5, which reply was inadvertently filed in my case and not relayed to the Bureau until Nov. 11. His letter of today will explain why he did not forward the papers, and also the progress of the case from the time of indictment to passing of sentence. I recommended that the papers be referred to the Chief, Law Division, for his consideration and such further action as he may deem proper.
    [Note: After the Law Division received these papers, they made a note stating: Copy of indictment retained in files of Law Division for possible future use as a guide in drawing others.]
13 Nov. 1914--The U.S. Attorney at Portland, Oregon, writes to Mr. Sues, who is staying at the Hotel Perkins, Portland, Oregon:
    I am handing you herewith all papers of the Bureau of Pensions concerning the application of Julia Jackson, late of Medford, Oregon, for a pension. These papers were turned over to this office by you as the time the grand jury for this district returned an indictment against this woman for presenting a fraudulent claim. Since the indictment, Mrs. Jackson has had various attorneys and had considerable difficulty in determining whether to plead guilty or to stand trial. She has wavered between these two pleas from day to day and not until Monday of this week did she determine to enter a plea of guilty. Upon entering such plea, she was, by the court, sentenced to six months in the county jail, having already been in confinement about two months awaiting indictment and trial. The Pension Office files were retained by the writer in order that we might be in position to present this case to the court in event of a plea of guilty, as I explained to you in my letter of Oct. 5, 1914. There was every reason for our retaining these files, and so far as I know, no good reason for returning them to the Pension Office until some final disposition of the case was made. For this office, I desire to thank you for the assistance rendered us in connection with this prosecution.
4 Dec. 1914--The Board of Review at the Pension Bureau reviews a claim for accrued pension from Julia Jackson in which they show her present address as County Jail, Portland, Oregon. The accrued pension is approved, and she will be paid according to what was due at the time of Isaac Jackson's death. [Accrued pension meant that Mrs. Jackson would receive "only" the amount of pension money that was due Mr. Jackson on the date of his death. No other compensation would be due Mrs. Jackson until she would be qualified for a widow's pension.] Mrs. Jackson had put a claim in for a widow's pension, but it was rejected.
4 Dec. 1914--The Chief of Board of Review states in a letter to the Pension Bureau:
     Mrs. Jackson, in her claim filed for a pension, she alleged that she had not remarried since his death, but in the case against her, this was found to be false, and she pleaded guilty and was sentenced. But according to the laws, when a widow applies for a pension in her own right, her application will be accepted as covering any accrued pension due to the soldier at the date of his death, and no separate application for the same is required, that this application is sufficient to cover any accrued pension due the soldier at the time of his death, and the accrued pension in this case will be allowed if claimant has shown herself to be the legal widow of the soldier. But the rejection of the widow's claim for a pension is proper. It may be added that the statement of claimant in her declaration that she is not married does not invalidate her application for a widow's pension. We concede that she has title of accrued pension but not to a continuance of a widow's pension.
19 Dec. 1914--Two letters are sent out on this date from the Bureau of Pension to Julia Lockett (Jackson) and the Honorable W. C. Hawley with the same information sent to both as follows:
    I have to inform you that the said claim is rejected on the ground that the claimant married the soldier subsequent to March 3, 1899, and not prior to or during his military service, which terminated prior to the War with Spain, and did not live with him to the date of his death.
7 Jan. 1915--An attorney in charge of pardons, Department of Justice, writes to the Bureau of Pensions and states:
    Julia Jackson, a federal prisoner confined in the Multnomah County Jail at Portland, Oregon, is an applicant for executive clemency. Will you be kind enough to report the facts in this case and express your opinion as to the expediency and justice of extending clemency to the applicant, giving the matter the earliest possible consideration.
22 Jan. 1915--The Pension Bureau replies to the attorney in charge of pardons, Department of Justice, and states all the facts in the trial of Mrs. Jackson and also that the evidence that had been obtained on special examination tended to show that said claimant lived with different men subsequent to the time she deserted soldier, but that she was actually ceremonially married Oct. 22, 1903 to John Lockett at Tucson, Arizona, which remarriage was denied and concealed by her in her attempt to defraud the government. Considering the prisoner's past history, as revealed by the evidence obtained on special examination, I have no recommendation to make in the matter of extending any clemency.
29 Dec. 1915--Mr. J. T. Cromer, 33 S. Front St., Medford, Oregon, writes to the Pension Bureau in regards to Julia Jackson, and states that she has been in poor health and has not been in her right mind at times. She can neither read nor write, and he states that, as you know, a soldier's widow has a right to marry and draw their husband's pension.
12 April 1926--Mrs. Jackson writes to the Secretary of Interior and restates her life history, questioning why she has not received her pension.
18 April 1926--The Commissioner of Pensions writes to the Secretary of Interior and states that Mrs. Jackson's appeal is from rejection of claim for pension under the Act of May 1, 1920, as the widow was married to the soldier subsequent to March 3, 1899, and did not live with him to the date of his death, and also on the grounds of her immoral conduct since the soldier's death, she has forfeited title to pension as his former widow. Action was based upon evidence procured during a special examination, to reports of which attention is called. Action adhered to.
9 Dec. 1926--Mr. E. O. Trent makes an affidavit:
    I was well acquainted with one Julia Jackson in the year 1907 in Tucson, Arizona, and that my wife and I heard from her frequently after she had left Tucson about the middle of 1907, while she was working in Bisbee and Naco, Arizona, and that we also heard from her in 1908. That the said Julia Jackson was a woman of good character and reputation and to the best of my knowledge and belief that the said Julia Jackson did not live with one William Levenberry as his wife or claim to be the wife of said William Levenberry.
10 Jan. 1927--Mr. Allen B. Montgomery gives an affidavit:
    I was well acquainted with Mrs. Julia Jackson and Isaac Jackson during their married life in Albuquerque, New Mexico, during the years 1901 and 1902, and that the said Isaac Jackson died in the latter part of 1902, the exact date being unknown to me at this time, that during about six months of the year 1902 the said Isaac Jackson was City Jailer of Albuquerque, New Mexico, and that the said Julia Jackson was acting matron at said city jail, and that at the time of the death of the said Isaac Jackson, they were holding said above-mentioned positions and living at said city jail and that the said Julia Jackson did not desert her husband the said Isaac Jackson prior to his death in the year 1902.
1 April 1927--The attorney for Mrs. Jackson files a Motion for Rehearing of her Claim for Pension. The motion states that she was rejected on the grounds that she had deserted her husband prior to his death and secondly because of her immoral conduct since the death of her husband. That the said grounds of rejection are in error and not in accordance with the facts. With the motion, she files several affidavits to prove her case. Also, on this same date, Mrs. Jackson files an affidavit and restates her life with Mr. Jackson and the reason for her not being in Albuquerque at the time of his death. She also states about her marriage and desertion of John Lockett. And to complete her statement:
    I did know Isaac Ayers when he lived in Albuquerque during the life of my husband, Isaac Jackson, and also met him in Tucson after the death of Mr. Jackson, that after the death of Mr. Jackson and while in Tucson, the said Isaac Ayers insisted in forcing his company upon me and wanted to take care of me, but this company and assistance was refused, by me, and believe that to be the reason why he saw fit to testify against me.
    After my refusing his company and assistance, he left for a while, and then came back with a woman by the name of Gladys, claiming her to be his wife, and this is the only Gladys I ever knew about that, and that the said Gladys is not my child.
    That I have only one child, a son whose name is Marshall G. and from the last I heard of him, through my brother, W. B. Berry, who lives in Bellville, Texas, my son now lives in Houston, Texas. That I never knew any William Levenberry in Tucson or Phoenix, Arizona, nor did I live or stop with said Levenberry at a hotel in Phoenix, Arizona, that shortly after arriving in Phoenix I went to cook for the teachers at the Indian School at Sacaton, Arizona, at which time one Alexander was principal, and that I worked there for about one year. That the only Levenberry I ever knew was one Arthur Levenberry who I met in San Francisco about 1909 who was a disabled Philippine War veteran. That I deny the charge of adulterous cohabitation as has been made against me, and that I have lived an honorable and upright life since the death of Mr. Jackson and believe that my denial of said charges is fully supported by the hereto attached affidavit.
8 April 1927--The Honorable Willis C. Hawley writes to the Pension Bureau:
    I am respectfully enclosing herewith the application of Julia Jackson for a rehearing of her case in light of the following new evidence submitted. With the application are six affidavits and a petition signed by numerous citizens of Huntington, Oregon. Also, a certified copy of the divorce of Mrs. Jackson from John Lockett. Your early consideration of this matter will be greatly appreciated by me, and if the evidence warrants, I respectfully urge that the motion of Mrs. Jackson for a rehearing of her claim be granted.
9 April 1927--The Pension Bureau reviews the case of Mrs. Jackson and restates all the items that had happened during her life, even showing he was about twenty years the appellant's senior, and she was born about 1876. Also in this review, they refer to Mr. Ayers' former testimony in which they restate about the man named Higgins and then later referred to as William Levenberry. In the final conclusion of the appeal, the review board stands by the previous decision that there is no basis for the reopening of Mrs. Jackson's claim.
14 April 1927--Honorable Hawley is informed by the Pension Bureau that the information and evidence that he forwarded to the Board of Review is now being considered with a view to reopening the claim for Mrs. Jackson, and the claimant will be promptly advised as to the result.
26 April 1927--The Pension Bureau informs Mrs. Jackson that the evidence filed by Honorable Hawley with a view to reopening your claim for pension has been given careful consideration but is not deemed sufficient to overcome the adverse testimony taken in the course of a thorough special examination prior to the rejection of your claim, and therefore, reopening is not warranted.
8 Aug. 1938--Mrs. Jackson apparently received a letter from Clarence R. Hotchkiss, Attorney at Law, Portland, Oregon, and she replies (as written by Mrs. Jackson):
    I received your letter and was very glad to hear from you, that you could help me. I will certainly pay you well if you can get my pension as I have been fighting for it for so long. I was told that a remarriage could get her Civil War husband's pension. They seen where an act was going to pass and the President signed it, I could apply which I did. The government was about to pay me 15 hundred dollars and found I had remarried, so they ask me had I remarried which I understood after the trouble. My attorney had let me sign that I hadn't married since Jackson's death and it should have been Lockett's. They went to Tucson and got my license from John Lockett and came and showed them to me and said I had purged [perjured] myself, which I was unaware of as I can neither read or write writing.
    I didn't know what the attorney had me to have done. So I had to come to Portland to see the prosecuting attorney. When Mr. Reames found it was me he liked to fall over as he knew I lived in Medford for five years and he knew me well, as I had the world of white friends and they employed Judge Caswell to defend me. They told me of an act that could be used that President Wilson signed in 1916 and came into effect May 1, 1920. That is why I knew a remarried widow could get a pension. I came back a widow by desertion. Frank B. Scott of Salt Lake City got me my divorce and Mr. Reames warned me not to sign any more papers unless I had an attorney. Judge Caswell had what they called waived the case aside. My attorney asked for my name back, Mrs. Jackson, as the government would hold me up on it if I still went by Mrs. Lockett. I am sending you is all the results that I could get from the Bureau calling me such ugly names and writing me such ugly letters.
    I have never understood why they object to me of the pension. The prosecuting attorney now in Canyon City who was trying to help me received a sassy letter from the bureau and they told him that I hadn't employed him for my attorney and I also asked the Bureau for a duplicate of my husband's married [certificate], and they told me they didn't furnish remarried widows duplicates, that my attorney was sufficient. When they found that I still fight for it and been crowding them so close about it. They are trying to make me believe that the Legion is against me getting a pension. I just learned the last couple of months through a judge by the name of Hughes, who Mr. Cochran can tell you about, I received a letter from him telling me that if I had of been getting my pension before my second remarriage and had lost through the second marriage that is why they had refused me my pension. I know that and I always thought that they were doing something crooked about my husband's papers. That is why the Veterans Bureau fought me so hard. Now, sir, I have tried to explain all I could so you will understand the case as I am a poor widow and sickly. I have to depend upon friends for help. I could just as well have my pension. I almost feel ashamed to send you such an ugly letter but you will understand what ugly letters they write to me from the bureau.
22 Aug. 1938--Julia Jackson signs a Power of Attorney which shows that Clarence R. Hotchkiss will represent her in her claim for a pension and that he will receive no fee or compensation whatsoever for any services rendered pursuant to this power of attorney.
28 Aug. 1938--Attorney Hotchkiss writes to the Veterans Administration:
    Some weeks ago, a prominent local federal official discussed with me the claim of Julia Jackson (colored) for pension by virtue of being the wife of Isaac Jackson. It appears that this has been under consideration first but the pension office and later by the Veterans Bureau over a considerable period of years. From the correspondence and other papers referred to me, the exact reasons advanced by the government for denial of this claim do not appear to be clear and definite. There is enclosed, however, a letter written by Mrs. Jackson in which she covers the entire subject in a rather rambling way, and from this statement I have drawn the conclusion that Mrs. Jackson was married to her first husband and the proof of this is on record with the bureau. Assuming that the facts as stated, there appears to be no legal ground to deny a pension to Mrs. Jackson.
    I have never met Mrs. Jackson personally, but am advised by a number of responsible people in official positions that she is very old and unable to care for herself to any extent and is the object of various charities, very likely on relief, state or federal. If eligible for pension, this would care for her without further assistance, and it is quite certain that she hasn't very many years left for this world, which is true of practically all Civil War widows. I am very anxious to do something for the client in case she has a valid claim. But in case this is barred by some evidence in the files of the Veterans Administration which is not available here, it is desirous that this be known and no further action will be taken. Enclosed herewith, find power of attorney executed by Mrs. Jackson authorizing me to represent her before the Veterans Administration.
16 Sept. 1938--The Veterans Administration writes the following answer to attorney Hotchkiss:
    They are in receipt of his letter in which you enclosed a letter from Mrs. Jackson relative to her claim or a pension along with a power of attorney. Existing law does not permit the disclosure to an attorney of any information with respect to a claim for death compensation or pension unless he has been admitted to practice before the administration and has filed a power of attorney, unless a power of attorney is filed together with a statement signed by the attorney and the claimant that no fee or compensation of whatsoever nature will be charged or paid for services rendered. Upon receipt of such a statement, consideration will be given the matter of furnishing you complete information relative to the reasons for disallowance of the claim for pension which have heretofore been furnished to the claimant on numerous occasions.
20 Sept. 1938--Attorney Hotchkiss writes to the Veterans Bureau and informs them that in the case of Mrs. Jackson that he has been admitted to practice before the Administration. and in the power of attorney submitted there is a statement that he will receive no compensation for this service. The items that have been submitted to the Bureau should satisfy the existing law, and it is hoped that you will now furnish the information requested.
8 Oct. 1938--Mr. Bailey, Director, Dependents Claim Service, writes to attorney Hotchkiss and states the reasons for disallowance of Mrs. Jackson's pension claim [See letter of 13 July, 1925]. And again Mr. Bailey restates that she would have no title to pension, as such right was forfeited by reason of her conduct since the veteran's death and since the passage of the Act of Aug. 7, 1882.
11 Oct. 1938--Attorney Hotchkiss replies to the Veterans Administration in which he states:
    It is believed that the fact can be established that the claimant lived with the veteran from the date of their marriage until the date of his death. Also, that she is not barred by date of marriage as this was extended by the Act of May 1, 1920. As to her immoral conduct, information is desired as to the particular act or course of conduct of the claimant which constitute the charge upon which the government bases his decision and the nature of the information. Was this contained in letters or affidavits furnished the administration or reports of authorized inspectors, and if contained in any of these classifications, can copies of same be furnished?
    There are respectable citizens in Canyon City who speak well of this woman, and it is understood that she was at one time a servant in the home of the former United States District Attorney Clarence Reames and was temporarily employed at times by Evan Reames, at present United States Senator from this state. There can be no mistake as to the identity, as there are only two or three colored people in Canyon City, Oregon. Too, this woman is nearly seventy years of age, and according to my information, has always been engaged in some employment which was respectable. Therefore, it is believed that the information requested is pertinent and desirable to assist in determining the exact status of the claimant.
28 Oct. 1938--Attorney Hotchkiss receives a reply from Mr. Bailey, Director of Dependents Claims Service, Veterans Administration:
    A very thorough field investigation was conducted in this case in 1914 and brought out that subsequent to the claimant's marriage to John Lockett, she lived with one William Levenberry as his wife without having secured a divorce from Lockett. It was also shown that she lived with a man in Naco, Arizona, whose name was not obtained but who was a cook on a cattle ranch near that place.

Last revised May 14, 2022