HOME




The Infamous Black Bird Southern Oregon History, Revised


Rogue Valley Histories


(COMMUNICATED.)
Southern Oregon.--No. 1.
    It is peculiarly within the province of the inhabitants of Southern Oregon to discuss the rise and progress of settlements in the fertile valleys of Rogue River and its tributaries; also, to compare notes concerning the growth, present and future prosperity of Jacksonville and the surrounding country. It is, however, necessarily expected that, no matter how accurate the person may be who attempts to chronicle the events of the past, many things that have taken place will be overlooked, forgotten, or not known. Just so it will be with one who attempts to predict the future, judging from the past, or any other standpoint. Many, yes, very many, will be found who, when speaking of the past, will illustrate many things within their knowledge that has been omitted by the most accurate delineator, or when speaking about what is most likely to take place. If for nothing else, a difference of opinion must be thrust in to show that this is a free country, where each individual has the inalienable right to express an opinion about what has been and what is likely to be. To this none should object. For our part we speak the truth, and say we are glad it is so, and would be still more gratified if it was more so--when founded on truth, reason and good sense. It is with some misgivings that we have written this much, but will take courage and proceed, for the reason that, if mistaken, we are honestly so.
    So far as Southern Oregon is concerned in these articles, it is our intention to confine our remarks to that portion of it known as Jackson County and to Jacksonville. For the purpose of getting a good start (something like the Japanese Embassy, that could not reach Washington City without starting from California), we shall cross the 42nd parallel and state that in the summer of 1850 gold was found in the flat near where Yreka now stands. It was then in Shasta County. A great number of persons were scattered over the country, prospecting, and it soon became a well-known fact that the country north of Shasta Butte and south of Rogue River was an extensive gold-bearing region. During the years '50 and '51, the district that is now Siskiyou County attracted the greatest number of prospectors, and rich developments were made during that time. This, as a matter of course, opened communication with the northern and more thickly settled portion of Oregon. The Yreka diggings at that time appeared to be the center from which supplies radiated to supply the surrounding diggings. Beef, bacon, flour, butter, potatoes, etc. were in great demand. Oregon was at that time the most accessible and could furnish considerable quantities of the necessary supplies. Beef cattle were abundant, for the Oregonians had for some time turned their attention to the raising of cattle. The pasturage was then fine and extensive, and it was considered the most masterly process of making money without practicing economy or industry. As a consequence, large numbers of cattle were obtained in Oregon and driven south to Yreka and adjacent localities. A large number of pack trains were put upon the line of the Oregon trade. This at once attracted the attention of the traveler to the Rogue River Valley, which at that time was tolerably well stocked with Indians, who were constantly on the alert, committing depredations, killing and robbing along the entire line between the Canyon and Klamath River. The only question with them was, "can this or that be done and an escape effected?"
    For the purpose of placing before the reader a correct idea of the prime moving cause that brought about the settlement of Rogue River Valley in 1851. Here it will be necessary to digress for a moment, and speak of the early history of Oregon. From the best authority we have, the settlements in the Willamette Valley commenced in about the year 1843 to assume something like a permanent character. It is a well-known fact that Great Britain and the United States both claimed the country from the 42nd parallel of latitude, north to the Russian possessions; that in 1818 the two governments entered into a joint-occupancy treaty--both governments to occupy the same territory--for ten years, or in the year 1828, the said joint-occupancy treaty was continued without period of termination, further than that the government wishing to terminate the treaty should give one year's notice of said desire. Dr. Linn, a United States Senator from Missouri, a gentleman of talent and enterprise, for the purpose of inducing immigrants from the United States to settle west of the Rocky Mountains on the shores of the great Pacific, introduced a bill into the Senate of the United States granting donations of lands as bounties to all who would cross the mountains and settle in Oregon. This measure was agitated and discussed in Congress for several years. First a bill granting donations to settlers would pass the Senate or House, and fail in the one where the measure did not originate. The Presidential election in 1844 in a great measure turned upon the question of "all Oregon 54-40, or fight." During this time the doctrine enunciated by J. C. Calhoun (which was that masterly inactivity with regard to legislation, further than to protect the emigrants, would soon settle the question of title to the disputed territory) was being successfully carried out, and as early as 1843 the settlers from the United States, and the British subjects, held meetings to form a temporary or provisional government, which was a success, and as early as 1845 (see organic law of Oregon--Deady Code), and continued until the 3rd of March 1849. The question of the northern boundary line was by previous negotiation between the two governments, conducted by Webster on the part of the United States and Packingham for Great Britain, was settled by the selection of the 42nd parallel as the boundary line. After an able and somewhat boisterous discussion in the Senate, the question was settled by a two-thirds vote, in 1846.
    This brings us up to the 14th of August, 1848, when a territorial government was established in Oregon, and at this point the subject will be again taken up in a subsequent issue.
Oregon Sentinel, Jacksonville, May 4, 1867, page 2


(COMMUNICATED.)
Southern Oregon.--No. 2.
    The treaty between the United States and Great Britain, in 1846, settled the boundary question on the 49th parallel, and on the 14th of August, 1848, the President approved the law organizing a territorial government in Oregon. The rifle regiment that had been raised for service on the Pacific Coast, and on account of the Mexican War had been ordered to the immediate scene of strife--where they participated in many of the severest conflicts on the battle fields of Mexico--was, in 1848, ordered to Oregon, where they arrived in the fall of '49. The time for which many of the privates in the rifle regiment had enlisted had expired, or was about to expire, so that only about seventy-five remained at Vancouver, and by an order of the War Department these were transferred to the dragoon service. The treaty of Guadalupe Hidalgo, ceding Upper California to the United States, had been ratified in September 1848, and General Hitchcock, who was in command of the Department of the Pacific, and whose headquarters were then at Benicia, ordered Major Phil. Kearny to Vancouver, with instructions to march overland that portion of the rifle regiment that had been transferred to the dragoon service, and report to Benicia. The direct route lay through Rogue River Valley. In May, 1851, Major Kearny left Vancouver, and diverging to the east of the main traveled road, approached Rogue River some fifteen or twenty miles above Table Rock. The command consisted of two small companies, respectively commanded by Captains Walker and Stuart. Desiring to effectually prevent the escape of Indians should any be found, Captain Walker was ordered to cross to the south side of the river--at this time they were ten or fourteen miles above Table Rock. About ten o'clock in the morning, Indians were discovered on the north side, running from the hill to the river. A charge was ordered, and most gallantly led by Captain Stuart, who received a mortal wound on the first fire. The number of Indians was estimated at from two to three hundred, while the entire force of Capt. Stuart, engaged in the action, did not exceed thirty-five. The Indians were finally completely routed. Many attempted to escape by jumping into the river, but Captain Walker's company done good execution from the south bank, and sent the most of them to a watery grave. This occurred on the 18th of June 1851. The next day, the wounded Captain was placed upon a litter and the company reached Stuart Creek and encamped where Phoenix now stands. Just as the command halted, Captain Stuart breathed his last. He was there buried, but through the liberality of Major Kearny his remains were afterwards taken up and sent to Washington City for burial. All who knew the gallant Captain grieved sincerely at his death, and Major Kearny determined to avenge him. He dispatched an express to Yreka and another to Josephine Creek to obtain volunteers to assist in chastising the Indians, and thus also give better protection to prospectors and miners. The Major remained in this vicinity some two weeks, scouring the country on both sides of the river. His supplies becoming scarce, he was then compelled to move forward on his march towards Benicia. At that time it was difficult and expensive to obtain supplies in this locality.
    During the time that Major Kearny was beating up the Indians he was accompanied by many civilians, who were at once struck with the beauty and fertility of the country, and in the fall of 1851 commenced settlements. Prior to this time, no white settlement had been made in what is called the Rogue River Valley. Among the first who settled in the valley at this time are: N. C. Dean, Thomas Smith, Russell, Barron and Dunn. These are still residing upon the locations at that time chosen by them. There may be others still here who settled in this valley in 1851 whose names are omitted through ignorance of that fact. A. A. Skinner, who had been appointed agent for the Rogue River Indians, made a location and established the agency on Stuart Creek. During the fall of 1851, a temporary arrangement was made by Skinner with Joe and Sam, chiefs of the Rogue River Indians, that the whites should be permitted to settle on the south side of the river, but not on the north. This arrangement was made on account of several white settlements having already been made on the south side; and, besides the main traveled road, from Oregon to Yreka, passed up on the south side, nearly through the center of what was then called Rogue River Valley. We may then consider the fall of 1851 as the time when Rogue River Valley commenced settling. During the winter of '51-2, several miners were at work on the Big Bar in the river, and on some of the gulches in what is called the Blackwell Diggings. Sometime in February, 1852, James Pool and James Clugage made the discovery of gold, on Rich Gulch. The first discovery was made within the limits of what is now the Jacksonville corporation. This at once created an excitement--people from all parts were directing their course to the new diggings--Clugage took the claim where Jacksonville is now situated, and Pool the claim adjoining Clugage's on the east.
    The Oregon Legislature, in 1851, had laid off a new county comprising a great portion of Oregon south of the Canyon, called Jackson County. The name was popular, and in 1852, when the diggings were discovered, the creek was called Jackson Creek, and the town, which soon gave evidences of a rapid growth, was called Jacksonville. During the year 1852, the population of Southern Oregon increased more rapidly than at any subsequent period. The mines on Rich Gulch and Jackson Creek were considered the best--it has since been proven that both forks of Jackson Creek were very rich. As was before stated, the rush from all directions to the Rich Gulch diggings was immense; this, as a matter of course, gave rise to more extensive prospecting. Rogue River, from the Big Bar to Galice Creek, paid well; in the Blackwell Diggings and on Sardine Creek gold was found in paying quantities. Some good strikes were made at Willow Springs, or Sams Creek, which have since proved more extensive. Sailor Diggings, Josephine, Siskiyou, Sucker and Althouse creeks, then in Jackson County, have all yielded their millions.
Oregon Sentinel, Jacksonville, May 11, 1867, page 2


SOUTHERN OREGON.--No. 3.
    The great rush to Southern Oregon in 1852 was principally in pursuit of gold; however, many discreet and far-seeing Oregonians and Californians made valuable locations and commenced farming. The greater portion of those who commenced opening farms in '52 labored under great difficulties--labor was difficult to obtain except at exorbitant prices. Provisions and supplies of every description had to be packed or freighted in wagons over an almost impassable road for over two hundred miles, which necessarily compelled the consumer to pay very high prices for all the indispensables of life. Notwithstanding the rush of miners and settlers during the spring, summer and fall of 1852, but very little was produced; in fact, nothing to affect the price demanded for supplies. The population was still increased by quite a large immigration from the States, who made their way to Jackson County by what was then and yet known as the Southern Immigrant Route, crossing the [Sierra] Nevadas at what is called the Lassen Trail, scooping round the west end of Goose Lake, crossing the Klamath River at the natural bridge, thence down Emigrant [Creek] to Stuart Creek, where they approach the extensive valley of Rogue River.
    It is hardly necessary to call the attention of the reader to the fact that in 1846, Jesse Applegate, now of Umpqua Valley, and who had resided in Oregon since 1843, being a man of science and enterprise, headed a company from Oregon to explore a wagon route by which immigrants could reach this state, as the Cascade Mountains had, up to that time, been almost an insurmountable barrier. Applegate was, without doubt, induced to take his course south from the Willamette, impressed with the belief that, as what was known as the great South Pass, through the Rocky Mountains, was about the 42nd parallel, that with slight variations a low pass near that parallel of latitude was continuous from the Atlantic to the Pacific Coast. This has since been proven to be the case by exploration. Mr. Applegate and party took their course across the Calapooya Mountains and the Umpqua country, and continued up the hitherto celebrated Canyon (where there is now a good toll road), passing through Rogue River Valley, over the natural bridge on the Klamath, through Goose Lake Valley, over the Sierra Nevada, thence to the Humboldt River, and formed a junction with the Oregon Immigrant Trail at Lost River. Through the enterprise of Mr. Applegate and party, the first immigrants from the States reached Oregon with wagons, by this route, in 1846.
    In the winter of 1848-9, Applegate was a member of the Provisional Government Legislature, and through his aid an act was passed chartering a company, extending rights and protection for the settlement of Rogue River and Klamath Lake valleys, but on account of the great gold mania all who embarked in that magnificent enterprise were compelled to abandon the settlements--so well calculated to make fortunes for those who should make the settlements, and carry out the protection provided for in the charter.
    It will be remembered that all immigration and supplies from Northern to Southern Oregon, 1852, had to pass through the celebrated Canyon; that in the month of December of that year the snow fell to the depth of three to five feet--cutting off all travel for several weeks. [Supplies also came through Yreka, but Northern California was similarly engulfed with snow.] Supplies being already scarce in Southern Oregon, this caused enormous prices--such as $1.25 per pound for flour; 40 and 50 cts. for beef; salt, $8 per pound; tobacco (almost indispensable to miners) from $4 to $8 per pound, and all other articles in proportion. Those who had commenced their settlements in '51 had only been able to produce a very limited quantity of supplies; in fact, in the spring of 1853, wheat, oats and potatoes could not be obtained for planting purposes for less than 40 cts. per pound; therefore, the price of labor, as well as all other things necessary for the farmer to produce. Supplies were so very high that only a limited quantity was produced--not enough to supply the wants of the country; for be it remembered all that portion of Oregon, from the Umpqua south to Shasta County, was then a mining region, being worked and traversed by thousands of miners, depending entirely on the importation of supplies. Let it also be remembered that in '53 Indian depredations became so common that the whole country was in a ferment, from Humbug Creek, south of Klamath, to the North Umpqua River being inhabited by numerous bands of Indians, who had always been committing thefts and murders whenever an opportunity offered, became openly hostile, and the war of 1853 was thus made a matter of self-defense. The Rogue River Indians being the most numerous, and their country the most desirable to both parties, it was made the theater of the war. Several companies were raised, and through the aid of Capt. Alden, U.S.A., were mustered into service. Col. John E. Ross was in command. This war was a short one compared with the Indian war of 1855-56--it lasted only thirty days--but was prosecuted by the Indians with their customary barbarity and brutality. On the 2nd of August Dr. Rose and Mr. Hardin were killed between the Willow Springs and Dardanelles. The houses situated between Dean's and Rogue River were set on fire by the Indians on the night after Rose and Hardin were killed, and most of them burned. The main body of the volunteers were encamped on Stuart Creek, near where Hopwood's mill now stands. Several families were located at Dardanelles, and there is but little doubt that they would have been massacred had it not been for the gallantry of Capt. Hardy Elliff, commander of an independent company of volunteers, who, with his company, charged through the Indian lines, passing over the dead body of Rose, and was under the fire of the Indians for several miles; however, they passed through without receiving any serious wounds, and rendered very timely aid to the unprotected families. On the next day, August 21st, a small scouting party, under command of Lieut. Ely, was attacked by a large body of Indians at a place called the Meadows, on the right-hand fork of Evans Creek, on the north side of Rogue River, where two men were killed and Lieut. Ely wounded. Stock was stolen by the Indians, and not only the lives but the property of the settlers was in constant danger. General Joe Lane, then a delegate to Congress, but at home on a visit, arrived at headquarters. His bravery and military skill caused the people to place great confidence in him, as a person well calculated to lead the volunteers to victory; consequently, by common consent of all, he was selected as the commander of the volunteer forces. It was well known that the Indian forces were on the north of Rogue River; consequently, the command was divided, and on the morning of the 22nd of August two companies, commanded by Captains Goodall and Rhodes, were placed under command of General Lane--the other two companies were commanded by Captain Lamerick and T. F. Miller.
    On the 22nd the battalion commanded by Lane took up the line of march, crossing Rogue River and encamping that night on the ground where Lieut. Ely was attacked the day before. On the morning of the 23rd the Indian trail was discovered, bearing north, and pursuit was made. At night the command reached the main or middle fork of Evans Creek, where they remained during the night. On the morning of the 24th, the trail of the Indians was again found, ascending the mountain on the west. Pursuit was continued along the summit of the main mountain. About 10 o'clock A.M., a gun was fired a short distance in advance, which was the first notice of the near approach to the Indians. The command advanced regularly, without noise, until the Indians were distinctly heard talking in a deep ravine in advance, when orders were given to dismount. Capt. Goodall and company, with Capt. Alden and six regulars, advanced directly down the hill to charge the enemy and bring on an engagement. Capt. Rhodes made an oblique move around to the left, in order to cut off the retreat down the creek. In a short time the battle commenced, both sides firing briskly. The Indians occupied an almost impregnable position and numbered from two to three hundred warriors, while the attacking party did not muster more than fifty effective men. The Indians were protected by thick underbrush and fallen timber. Many of them occupied hollow logs that had been burned out by fire, and did effective service by shooting through the knotholes.
    In the early part of the engagement, Capt. Alden was severely wounded by a rifle ball in the neck--several others were slightly wounded about the same time. Far in advance, the gallant Capt. Armstrong, from Yamhill, and two privates were killed, when a charge was ordered and headed by General Lane, who was shot through the arm when within a few rods of the Indian breastworks. This caused a retrograde movement. Between one and two o'clock P.M. a parley was commenced, and a quasi armistice was entered into. In a short time Col. Ross, Capts. Lamerick and Miller and their forces arrived. Many were for commencing the battle again, but General Lane opposed it, for the reason that he had pledged his word that the whites would not open fire on the Indians without giving them timely warning, and that a council had been appointed for ten o'clock the next day. At the council it was agreed that the Indians should meet at the expiration of ten days and hold a treaty on Rogue River, near Table Rock. The command was marched and encamped on the north side of the river, where Bybee's Ferry is now located, and a messenger sent after Joel Palmer, Superintendent of Indian Affairs, and a treaty was concluded on the 10th day of September, 1853.
Oregon Sentinel, Jacksonville, June 1, 1867, page 2


A SKETCH OF THE ROGUE RIVER VALLEY
AND SOUTHERN OREGON HISTORY*

By Alice Applegate Sargent
PART I.
    Lying between the Cascade Mountains on the east, and the Coast Range on the west, and tempered by the warm oceanic current from Japan, the Rogue River Valley has a climate unsurpassed except perhaps by the coast valleys of Greece.
THE ROGUE INDIANS
    About the year 1834 we find the Rogue River Valley a wilderness inhabited by a tribe of Indians. These Indians were a branch of the tribe living in northern California whom we now know as the Shastas. But the original name was not Shasta but Chesta. They were the Chesta Scotons [Shasta Scotans], and the Indians living in the Rogue River Valley were Chesta Scotons.
    The first white men to set foot in the valley of whom we have any authentic record were some French Canadian trappers who were trapping for furs for that great British monopoly the Hudson's Bay Company. These men made their way into the valley and set their traps along the river, but the Indians stole the traps, and the trappers always spoke of them as the rogues; the river was the river of the rogues and the valley the valley of the rogues. Old pioneers have assured me that this is the way by which the river, the valley and the Indians came by the name.
    Another story as to the origin of the name is this: That the river was called Rouge or Red River by some French voyageurs on account of the cliffs at the mouth of the river being of red color. By an act of the legislature in 1853-4 Rogue River was to be Gold River, but it has never been so called.
FIFTEEN PIONEERS, OPENERS OF THE SOUTHERN ROUTE
    In the year 1846 fifteen pioneers from the Willamette Valley came into the Rogue River Valley, seeking a route by which immigrants could reach the Willamette Valley without having to travel the long northern route across the Blue Mountains and down the Columbia River as they had to come. Their names were: Jesse Applegate, Lindsay Applegate, Levi Scott, John Scott, Henry Boygus, Benjamin Burch, John Owens, John Jones, Robert Smith, Samuel Goodhue, Moses Harris, David Goff, Benit Osborne, William Sportsman and William Parker.
    Lindsay Applegate was my father, Jesse Applegate my uncle.
    Each man was equipped with a saddle horse and a pack horse. As they made their way through the Rogue River Valley they were constantly followed by the Indians and had to be on guard day and night. When they had to pass through heavy timber and brush they dismounted and led their horses, carrying their guns across their arms ready to fire. The Indians were armed with bows and poisoned arrows, the pioneers with the old-time muzzle loading rifles. They made their way through the valley, crossed the Cascade Mountains into the Klamath country and thence east to the Humboldt River. Here they met a train of immigrants. They brought back with them one hundred and fifty people, the pioneers traveling ahead and making a road over which the wagons could pass. This train was taken through to the Willamette Valley. Now that we have our splendid Pacific Highway, built at enormous cost with all the modern implements, rock crushers, steam rollers and plows, and by the labor of hundreds of men, it is well for us to remember that the first road in southern Oregon and through the Rogue River Valley was built by the labor of fifteen men with nothing but axes in their bare hands, and amidst perils and hardships that would strike terror to any but the stoutest hearts. It was free to all, a work of humanity; the only recompense to the builders was a consciousness of duty nobly done.
PART II.
    In 1848 a party of pioneers from the Willamette Valley came into the Rogue River Valley on their way to the gold mines in California. They prospected for gold on Rogue River and on the stream we now know as the Applegate and then pushed on to California. My father was with this party also and the stream and valley were named for him.
    In 1850 two men, Clugage and Pool by name, equipped a pack train at the mining town of Yreka, California, and carried supplies between Yreka and towns in the Willamette Valley. They followed a narrow trail across the Siskiyou Mountains and along the bank of Bear Creek. It was their custom when they reached this valley, to stop to rest and recuperate their animals. The wild grass grew so high in the valley that the man who herded the mules had to stand on the back of his horse in order to locate the rest of the herd.
    Clugage had worked at mining, and one day, while they were in camp in the valley, went up into the hills where Jacksonville now is. Following up a gulch or ravine, he came to a place where the heavy rains had washed the soil entirely away, leaving a ledge of rock exposed. Taking his bowie knife from his belt he dug around in the rocks and sand and found nuggets of gold. He returned to camp and reported his discovery to Pool. Together they went back to the spot and staked out their mining claims.
    Returning to Yreka they bought a camp outfit and mining tools and returned to work their claims. They had kept quiet in regard to their discovery, but in some way it became known, and in two months from the time Clugage found the nuggets of gold a thousand men were on the spot. Claims were staked out and every man went to work to dig out the gold. No time was spent in building cabins; a man would throw his saddle blanket over a manzanita bush and put his bed under it. Some built shelters of bark and brush while others put up tents. Fortunes were taken out that winter, and many who had families in the east and elsewhere went back in the spring and summer and brought them to the Rogue River Valley. This was the beginning of the settlement. Some took up land in the valley while others settled in Jacksonville and Ashland. The county of Jackson was organized by an act of the legislature on the 12th of January, 1852. Until 1853 there were but four white women in Jacksonville, namely, Mrs. McCully, Mrs. Evans, Mrs. Lawless and Mrs. Gore.
    The winter of 1852 was an exceptionally hard one. Snow fell until all trails were completely blocked. Flour rose to one dollar a pound, and salt was priceless. Some adventurous men went to California on snowshoes to buy salt. Provisions gave out, and towards spring the people had to live on wild game, meat cooked without salt. The summer of 1852 was very dry, about such a summer as the one just past, and the wheat and potato crop were not a great success, but the following season was more favorable.
    Ashland was founded in 1852 by Abel D. Helman and Robert Hargadine. A sawmill was built on Mill Creek, and in 1854 a big flouring mill was built there, the first in the Rogue River Valley. Ashland was named from Ashland, Ohio, Mr. Helman's native town, and called Ashland Mills on account of the saw and flouring mills. The town was known as Ashland Mills for many years.
    The first school in the Rogue River Valley was taught by Mrs. McCully in Jacksonville, and was a subscription school.
    The first white child born in the Rogue River Valley was Walter Gore, son of a pioneer of 1852, born on December 3rd, 1852.
    In 1853 the Indians began war on the white settlers, but were soon subdued and a treaty made with them at Table Rock. Stockades were built at different places in the valley, for the protection of the settlers. Fort Lane was built in 1853-4 on a hill facing Table Rock and occupied by regular troops for three years. The old site is on a hill west of some old buildings at Tolo and south of Gold Ray Dam.
    In 1853 many immigrants came into the valley; many buildings were erected, but as all supplies had to be brought from Crescent City by pack animals, not a pane of glass could be had that year for window lights; cotton cloth stretched over the openings was used instead.
    During the spring steps were taken to found a Methodist church in Jacksonville. The pastor was Rev. Joseph S. Smith. The church was built and used jointly by Methodists and Presbyterians for many years.
    The town of Phoenix was founded in 1854, the land being donated by Samuel Colver, whose old dwelling still stands by the roadside. The town was named originally Gasburg.
    The first newspaper printed in southern Oregon was called The Table Rock Sentinel, printed in 1855. The editor was W. G. T'Vault.
    Jackson County in 1855 was the richest and most populous county in Oregon. But in that year the Indians again began war. The 9th of October has been called the most eventful day in the history of southern Oregon, for on that day nearly twenty people were murdered by the Indians and their homes burned. The settlers were totally unprepared and taken by surprise. A Mrs. Haines was taken prisoner, and her fate is still wrapped in mystery, although the Indians claimed she died a week later; her husband and two children were killed. Mr. and Mrs. Jones were killed. The next family in their path was the Wagoner's. A woman [Sarah Pellet] had made her way to the Wagoner home who wished to go to Jacksonville. She spent the night at the Wagoner home and next morning Mr. Wagoner agreed to take her to Jacksonville, as he had a span of horses and a wagon. [Wagoner took her to Vannoy's Ferry.] On his return two or three days later nothing was found of his home but a heap of ashes. [He returned the next day.] Long afterwards, when the war was over and the Indians had become friendly towards the whites, some members of this war party told of Mrs. Wagoner's fate. When they surrounded the house she barricaded as best she could. The Indians wanted to get possession of her and tried to induce her to come out of the house, fearing to try to enter as they knew she was armed. Finally they set fire to the house hoping to drive her out and then capture her. While the house was burning she stood where they could see her. Taking down her long hair, she combed it out before a mirror and then sat calmly in a chair until the flames closed around her. Her little girl had been captured and died soon after, so the Indians claimed. At the Harris' home were Mr. and Mrs. Harris, their two children, a boy aged ten and a girl twelve, and a man who was employed about the place. This man was in a field and was killed. Mr. Harris was shot while on the porch near the door. Mrs. Harris dragged him into the house, bolted the door and collecting a number of firearms prepared for defense. The daughter was shot in the arm and disabled and Mr. Harris died in about an hour. Mrs. Harris continued to fire at the Indians through the crevices between the logs. After a time an Indian messenger arrived with some message to the Indians, who all immediately ran towards the river. As soon as they had disappeared Mrs. Harris and her daughter fled from the house, knowing the Indians would set fire to it on their return. They hid in a thicket of willows until they were rescued by a company of troops the following day and taken to Jacksonville. When Mrs. Harris ran to meet the soldiers, carrying her little girl in her arms, covered with blood and blackened by powder, Major Fitzgerald, the officer in command cried out, "Good God! are you a white woman?" while tears ran down the cheeks of the bronzed and bearded men.
    The little son of Mrs. Harris had disappeared. Every ravine and thicket for miles around was carefully searched by men aided by the soldiers, but not a trace of the missing child was ever found. What pen could picture the grief of the sorrowing mother as the long years rolled by bringing no solution of the awful mystery. I have not the time to go farther into details.
    The war was brought to a close in 1856 and the Indians taken to the reservation in the Willamette country.
    During the Indian wars there was quite a body of troops in the Rogue River Valley. Two companies of volunteers from California, six companies, which were organized here in the valley, and one from Douglas County, besides the regular troops stationed at Fort Lane.
    The toll road was built across the Siskiyou Mountains in 1857-8 under authorization of the Oregon Legislature. The Oregon and California Stage Company was organized in 1860 to carry mail between Sacramento and Portland. A wagon road was built between Jacksonville and Crescent City this same year and a stage line established.
    A company of volunteers was organized in Jacksonville in 1861 called the "Baker Guard." In 1863 a company of state troops was organized in Ashland. It was Company A 1st Regiment, 1st Brigade of Oregon Militia and was called the "Mountain Rangers."
    A telegraph line was established in 1866 and the little valley of the Rogue was put into communication with the outside world.
    A woolen mill was built in Ashland in 1867-8 at a cost of $32,000. This mill was destroyed by fire some years ago.
    When I was a child there were eight large flouring mills in the valley, and hundreds of pounds of flour were carried out of the valley by pack animals and wagons, besides what was consumed in the valley. From the old Barron farm at the foot of the Siskiyous to Rogue River the valley was golden with grain, and the yield was from thirty to fifty bushels of wheat to the acre. Almost every farmer in the valley had planted an orchard, many of them very large. I have never seen finer fruit, for in those days the fruit was perfectly free from disease—a wormy apple was unheard of. Spraying was not necessary, and smudging was never resorted to, as there was always an abundance of fruit. When the orchards came into bearing the country east of the Cascades and the mining towns in California were supplied with fruit from the Rogue River Valley. The first apples raised in the valley were Gloria Mundis, raised on the Skinner place on Bear Creek and sold to a wealthy miner from Gold Hill for two dollars and fifty cents each. [The Gold Hill discovery was made in 1859.]
CONCLUSION
    Jacksonville, besides being the first town founded in the Rogue River Valley, was at one time the richest and most flourishing. It had been settled by people of education and culture who were wide awake and progressive. I marvel now that people so isolated could have kept so abreast of the times.
    When this valley was dotted with beautiful farms and Ashland called Ashland Mills, Phoenix known as Gasburg, and Jacksonville was the hub of the universe (so to speak), my father moved his family from Douglas County where I was born, to southern Oregon, and we lived for two years at the toll house on the Siskiyous.
FREIGHT OVER SISKIYOU TOLL ROAD
    Looking back to that time, I realize that it was a wonderful experience for a child. Every day the road was thronged; there were immense freight wagons drawn by six and eight yoke of oxen, towering Marietta wagons drawn by six span of horses; these we called the "bell teams." The leading span had, fastened to the collars, bows of iron which were hung with little bells. These bells were worn to warn other teams, as there were only occasional places on the narrow mountain grade where these teams could pass one another. When the driver of a team came to one of these places he would stop and listen. If he heard the faintest sound of bells there was nothing to do but wait until the other team passed. Then there were the long trains of fifty, sixty, and eighty pack mules all following the bell mare in single file.
    Twice daily the great red and yellow stage coaches went swinging by, drawn by six splendid horses. Unless a horse weighed so many hundred pounds and was so many hands high, the Oregon and California Stage Company would not so much as look at him. They were all matched horses and I recall especially the sorrels and the grays. There were long trains of travel-stained immigrants with their weary ox teams. Think what the feelings of these people must have been when they crossed the Siskiyou Mountains and beheld far below them the promised land, the Rogue River Valley, lying like a beautiful garden between the mountain ranges.
FORESTS FULL OF GAME
    I must not forget the wagons loaded with apples on their way to the mining towns in California. The wagon boxes were lined with straw and the apples piled into them. These apple peddlers advertised their fruit in a unique way by having a pointed stick fastened to a corner of the wagon bed on which was stuck an apple.
    When winter came and the snow fell deep on the Siskiyous, as it sometimes does, Father used several yoke of oxen and a big bobsled to keep the road open to travel. Sometimes the snow would fall steadily, filling the road behind them, and all day long the weary oxen would have to travel back and forth over the long mountain grade. The forests were swarming with wild animals, panther, wildcats, black, cinnamon and grizzly bear, and great gray timber wolves which would howl in a blood-curdling way in the forest at dusk.
    Immigrants were pouring into Oregon over the old road laid out by the fifteen pioneers in 1846. The Modoc and Piute Indians made travel unsafe even at that late date. A report came to my father that a train of immigrants coming over that route was in great peril. Father called for volunteers and in a very short time forty-one men were equipped and ready to go to the help of the immigrants. They rode rapidly for several days before they met the train. I have no recollection of my father's or brother's return, but I distinctly recall the story that Father told of the rescue. When the party finally discovered the immigrants they had corralled their wagons and prepared to defend themselves as best they could against the Indians. The rescuing party prepared a flag of truce by fastening a white cloth to a long pole, to show that they were friends, and then rode slowly forward. They had ridden almost up to the wagons before they saw any signs of life, then a wagon cover was thrown up and an aged woman with snow white hair called out to them "Glory be to God, we are saved." They brought this train in safety to the Rogue River Valley and we, no doubt, have some of these same people living in Medford today.
COMING OF RAILROAD
    The next great event in the history of the valley was the coming of the railroad which was built into Ashland from the north. The first train of cars ran into Ashland on May 4th, 1884, an event celebrated in an imposing way. Ashland was the terminus until 1887 when the railroad was completed and the Rogue River Valley was linked by bands of steel with the outside world. [In 1887 the railroad over the Siskiyous was completed. The valley was linked by rail with the outside world in 1884.]
    Medford, the little city of which we all feel proud, was founded in December, 1883, by J. S. Howard. [Howard's credit as town founder is disputed.] It was not incorporated until a year later. [Medford was incorporated in 1885.] Bear Creek, which runs through the city, was named originally Stuart River for Captain Stuart, an army officer who was killed in a fight with the Indians on the banks of the stream on the 17th of June, 1851.
    And now, as the years roll on, let us not forget the brave and self-reliant men and women who brought civilization into the wilderness and made it possible for us to have peaceful homes in the Rogue River Valley.
*Read before the Greater Medford Club in the spring of 1915.
Oregon Historical Quarterly, March 1921, pages 1-11


Alice Applegate Sargent Writes of Pioneer Days
    This is the first chapter of an interesting history of the Rogue River Valley, written by Mrs. Alice Applegate Sargent, well-known Southern Oregon pioneer. The story goes back to the Indian days of 1834 and the coming of the first white man. It will carry its readers through the romance and hardships known to the early pioneer, and leave them with a better understanding of the people who settled the Rogue River Valley.
    The title of next Sunday's chapter will be "Fifteen Pioneers." Today's follows:
Part I.
    Lying between the Cascade Mountains on the east, and the Coast Range on the west, and tempered by the warm oceanic current from Japan, the Rogue River Valley has a climate unsurpassed except perhaps by the coast valley of Greece.
    If we could go back in our history of the Rogue River Valley a few thousand years, we would probably find, instead of our beautiful valley, an inland sea. Geologists claim that the old shoreline can easily be traced along the mountainside in places in the Siskiyous, and it is especially easy to trace it along the side of Grizzly Peak, the mountain directly east of Ashland. The beautiful agates, with their sprays of sea moss, that are found on the desert are a proof that this theory, and up in the foothills of the Siskiyous there is a low peak built up of huge stones or boulders, which are composed of masses of sand and seashells. When I was a little girl my father owned the Siskiyou Mountain toll road, and the family lived for two years at the toll house. This peak is near the toll house, and we children used to enjoy going there to break up the stones and gather up the petrified shells. We named it Fossil Peak.
The Rogue Indians.
    About the year of 1834 we find the Rogue River Valley a wilderness inhabited by a tribe of Indians. These Indians were a branch of the tribe living in Northern California, whom we now know as the Shastas. But the name was not Shasta but Chesta. They were the Chesta Scotans, and the Indians hying in the Rogue River Valley were the Chesta Scotans.
    The first white men to set foot in the valley of whom we have any authentic record were some French Canadian trappers who were trapping for furs for that great British monopoly, the Hudson Bay Company. These men made their way into the valley and set their traps along the river, but the Indians stole the traps and the trappers always spoke of them as the rogues. Old pioneers have assured me that this is the way by which the river, the valley and Indians came by the name. Another story as to the origin of the name is this: That the river was called Rogue or Red River by some French voyageurs on account of the cliffs at the mouth of the river being of red color. [This second theory has no factual or documentary basis.] By an act of the legislature in 1853-54 Rogue River was to be Gold River, but it has never been so called.
Medford Mail Tribune, December 20, 1931, page 3


Mrs. Sargent Tells How Fifteen Pioneers
Built So. Oregon's First Road
    This is the second installment of Mrs. Alice Sargent's history of Southern Oregon. It opens with the story of the 15 pioneers:
----
    In the year 1846, 15 pioneers from the Willamette Valley came into the Rogue River Valley, seeking a route by which immigrants could reach the Willamette Valley without having to travel the long northern route, across the Blue Mountains and down the Columbia River, as they had come. Their names were: Jesse Applegate, Lindsay Applegate, Levi Scott, John Scott, Harry Bogus, Benjamin Birch, John Owens, John Jones, Robert Smith, Samuel Goodhue, Moses Harris, David Goff, Benit Osborne, William Sportsman and William Parker.
    Lindsay Applegate was my father. Jesse Applegate my uncle. Each man was equipped with a saddle horse and a pack horse. As they made their way through the Rogue River Valley they were constantly followed by the Indians and had to be on guard day and night. When they had to pass through heavy timber and brush, they dismounted and led their horses, carrying their guns across their arms, ready to fire. The Indians were armed with bows and poisoned arrows, the pioneers with the old-time muzzle-loading rifles. They made their way through the valley, crossed the Cascade Mountains into the Klamath country and thence east to the Humboldt River. Here they met a train of immigrants. They brought back with them 150 people, the pioneers traveling ahead and making a road over which the wagons could pass. This train was taken through to the Willamette Valley. Now that we have our splendid Pacific Highway, built at enormous cost, with all the modern implements, rock crushers, steam rollers and plows, and by the labor of hundreds of men,it is well for us to remember that the first road in Southern Oregon and through the Rogue River Valley was built by the labor of 15 men, with nothing but axes in their bare hands, and amidst perils and hardships that would strike terror to any but the stoutest hearts. It was free to all, a work of humanity, the only recompense to the builders was a consciousness of duty nobly done. [The fifteen found the route, but the road building was left to the emigrants and their guide, Levi Scott.]
Part II.
    In 1848, a party of pioneers from the Willamette Valley came into the Rogue River Valley on their way to the gold mines in California. They prospected for gold on Rogue River and on the streams we now know as the Applegate, and then pushed on to California. My father was with this party also, and the stream and valley were named for him.
Death of Captain Stuart.
    On the 17th of June, 1851, a fight took place between a small body of soldiers and the Indians, on the banks of the stream which is now known as Bear Creek, near where it flows into the Rogue River.
    In this fight, Captain James Stuart of the regular army was shot through the body with a poisoned arrow, and died of the wound. The stream now called Bear Creek was named Stuart River in memory of this brave soldier, and should be so called.
    Major Phil Kearny was in command of this small detachment of soldiers. After the fight, which resulted in the death of Captain Stuart, the Indians fled into their stronghold at the base of Table Rock, and Major Kearny had to wait for reinforcements before making an attack on the savages.
Medford Mail Tribune, December 27, 1931, page


Battle of Table Rock Told by Mrs. Sargent
    The Battle of Table Rock, which was not fought on the top of the rock, according to Mrs. Alice Applegate Sargent, is reviewed in this chapter of her history of Southern Oregon and the Indian war. Establishment of the first pack train through the valley by Pool and Clugage, who in 1851 discovered gold at Jacksonville, is also told, followed by a thrilling story of the gold rush of 1000 men, the selecting of Jacksonville, Ashland and surrounding communities. [Clugage and Pool are not known to have run the first pack train through the valley.]
----
    This attack was made on the 23rd of June. The Indians, who fought behind stone fortifications, were under the command of Chief John, the great war chief of the Rogue Rivers. The attack was renewed on the 24th. This fight was a desperate one, and the Indians suffered severely. Major Kearny offered to treat with them, but they scorned his offer. He prepared to attack early on the morning of the 25th, but the Indians fled from their stronghold during the night. Although they were pursued they escaped to the timbered hills and only thirty women with their children were captured. These were held as hostages. Indian war veterans have told a thrilling tale of an Indian woman, who during this fight stood high on a ledge of rock and gave commands to the Indian warriors in clarion tones which could be heard above the din of battle. This woman was known to the whites as Princess Mary. She was the wife of "Tyee Jim," a brother of Chief John. Unfortunately the Indian names of the savages prominent in the war in this valley have been lost to history. [The Princess Mary story is probably confabulated with her generalship of the battle of Hungry Hill.]
    Right here let me stress the fact that no battle was ever fought on the top of Table Rock. The Indians were too cautious and understood strategy too well to be caught on the top of the rock from which escape would have been impossible.
    In 1851 two men, Clugage and Pool by name, equipped a pack train at the mining town of Yreka, California, and carried supplies between Yreka and towns in the Willamette Valley. They followed the narrow trail across the Siskiyou Mountains and along the bank of Bear Creek. It was their custom, when they reached this valley, to stop to rest and recuperate their animals. The wild grass grew so high in the valley that the man who herded the mules had to stand on the back of his horse in order to locate the rest of the herd.
    Clugage had worked at mining, and one day while they were in camp in the valley went up into the hills where Jacksonville now is.
    Following up a gulch or ravine, he came to a place where the heavy rains had washed the soil entirely away, leaving a ledge of rock exposed. Taking his bowie knife from his belt he dug around in the rocks and sand and found nuggets of gold. He returned to camp and related his discovery to Pool; together they went back to the spot and staked out their mining claims.
    Returning to Yreka they bought a camp outfit and mining tools and returned to work their claims. They had kept quiet in regard to their discovery, but in two months from the time Clugage found the nuggets of gold a thousand men were on the spot. Claims were staked out and every man went to work to dig out the gold. No time was spent in building cabins. A man would throw his saddle blanket over a manzanita bush and put his bed under it; some built shelters of bark and brush, while others put up tents. Fortunes were taken out that winter, and many who had families in the East and elsewhere went back in the spring and summer and brought them to the Rogue River Valley. This was the beginning of the settlement. Some took up land in the valley, while others settled in Jacksonville and Ashland. The county of Jackson was organized by an act of the legislature on the 12th of January 1852. Until 1853 there were but four white women in Jacksonville, namely Mrs. McCully, Mrs. Evans, Mrs. Lawless and Mrs. Gore.
    The winter of 1852 was an exceptionally hard one. Snow fell until all trails were completely blocked; flour rose to one dollar a pound, and salt was priceless. Some adventurous men went to California on snowshoes to buy salt. Provisions gave out, and towards spring the people had to live on wild game, meat cooked without salt. The summer of 1852 was very dry, about such a summer as the one just past, and the wheat and potato crops were not a great success, but the following season was more favorable.
    Ashland was founded in 1852 by Abel D. Helman and Robert Hargadine. A saw mill was built on Mill Creek, and in 1854 a big flouring mill was built there, the first in the Rogue River Valley. Ashland was named from Ashland, Ohio, Mr. Helman's native town, and called Ashland Mills. The town was known as Ashland Mills for many years.
    The first school in the Rogue River Valley was taught by Mrs. McCully, who taught a subscription school in Jacksonville.
    The first white child born in the Rogue River Valley was Walter Gore, who was born in December, 1852.

Medford Mail Tribune, January 3, 1932, page 3


War with Indians in '53 Followed
Slaughter of Miners on Rogue River
    The campaign of 1853 and the treaty with the Indians are the subject of this week's chapter of Mrs. Alice Applegate Sargent's story of Southern Oregon and the Indian wars. Many stirring events are reviewed which illustrate the hardships encountered by the early settlers in Jackson County.
----
    In 1853 several miners who were prospecting on Rogue River were murdered by the Indians. A call was made for volunteers and quite a body of troops was rushed to the scene, but the Indians fled along the high mountaintops towards Evans Creek, firing the forest behind them as they ran. The soldiers followed in the face of all obstacles and overtook the Indians in the mountains above Evans Creek. Here a desperate fight took place; the savages finally begged for a truce and after a conference agreed to meet the soldiers at the base of Table Rock to make a treaty of peace. This conference between the whites and Indians came near ending in tragedy, for a young Indian, naked and covered with perspiration, burst into the circle and fell upon the ground rasping for breath. He told a weird story of how he and a companion had been captured by two white men who had killed his companion. [He told the story of the murder of Chief Jim after the cease-fire.] He had in some way made his escape. Immediately all was in confusion, the Indians muttering angry threats of vengeance. General Joseph Lane, courageous, cool and diplomatic, soon quieted the angry Indians, promising them these men should be punished and the Indians protected. [The murderers were not punished.] During all of this uproar the soldiers with their officers in command stood quietly at their posts. Captain Smith and his troop of the 1st U.S. Dragoons sat quietly on their horses where they were drawn up in line at the foot of the slope, but all were in readiness for any emergency which might arise.
    Here on the 3rd day of September, 1853, the treaty was made at the western base of Table Rock on the spot where the two days' desperate lighting had taken place in 1851. A fitting setting for both battle and treaty, with the gray stone walls of Table Rock towering above and the Rogue River flowing at the foot of the slope.
    Officers prominent in the campaign of 1853 were General Joseph Lane, Major Alvord, Captain Alden, commanding one company of the 4th U.S. Infantry from Fort Jones, California; Captain Smith commanding one troop of the 1st Dragoons, U.S. Army; Colonel Ross, Major Mosher, Captain Miller, Captain Goodall, Captain Rhodes, Captain Martin, and Captain Lindsay Applegate, in command of one company of mounted volunteers from Douglas County.
    Stockades were built at different places in the valley for the protection of the settlers. Fort Lane was built in 1853-54 on a hill facing Table Rock and occupied by regular troops for three years. The old site is on a hill west of some old buildings at Tolo and south of Gold Hill.
    In 1853 many immigrants came into the valley. Many buildings were erected, but as all supplies had to be brought from Crescent City by pack animals, not a pane of glass could be had that year for window lights; cotton cloth stretched over the openings was used instead.
    During the spring steps were taken to found a Methodist church in Jacksonville. The pastor was Rev. Joseph S. Smith. The church was built and used jointly by Methodists and Presbyterians for many years.
    The town of Phoenix was founded in 1854, the land being donated by Samuel Colver, whose old dwelling still stands by the road side. The town was named originally Gasburg.
    The first newspaper printed in Southern Oregon was called The Table Rock Sentinel printed in 1855. The editor was W. G. T'Vault. (A complete file of this newspaper is to be found in the rooms of the historical society in Portland.)
    Jackson County in 1855 was the richest and most popular county in Oregon. But in that year Indians again began war. The 9th of October has been called the most eventful day in the history of Southern Oregon, for on that day nearly twenty people were murdered by the Indians and their homes burned. The settlers were totally unprepared and taken by surprise. [Sargent omits the massacre of an Indian village on the 8th that precipitated the events of the 9th.] A Mrs. Haines was taken prisoner, and her fate is still wrapped in mystery, although the Indians claimed she died a week later; her husband and two children were killed. Mr. and Mrs. Jones were killed. The next family in their path was the Wagoners. A woman had made her way to the Wagoner home, who wished to go to Jacksonville. She spent the night at the Wagoner home and next morning Mr. Wagoner agreed to take her to Jacksonville as he had a span of horses and a wagon. [He took her to Vannoy's ferry.] On his return two or three days later nothing was found of his home but a heap of ashes. Long afterwards, when the war was over and the Indians had become friendly towards the whites, some member of this war partly told of Mrs. Wagner's fate. When they surrounded the home she barricaded as best she could. The Indians wanted to get possession of her and tried to induce her to come out of the house, fearing to try to enter, as they knew she was armed. Finally they set fire to the house, hoping to drive her out and then capture her. While the house was burning she stood where they could see her. Taking down her long hair, she combed it out before a mirror and then sat calmly in a chair until the flames closed around her. Her little girl had been captured and died soon after, so the Indians claimed.
    At the Harris home were Mr. and Mrs. Harris, their two children, a boy age ten, and a girl twelve, and a man who was employed about the place. This man was in a field and was killed. Mr. Harris was shot while on the porch near the door. Mrs. Harris dragged him into the house, bolted the door and collecting a number of firearms prepared for defense. The daughter was shot in the arm and disabled, and Mr. Harris died in about an hour. Mrs. Harris continued to fire at the Indians through crevices between the logs. After a time an Indian messenger arrived with some message to the Indians who all immediately ran towards the river. As soon as they had disappeared Mrs. Harris and her daughter fled from the house, knowing the Indians would set fire to it on their return. They hid in a thicket of willows until they were rescued by a company of troops the following day and taken to Jacksonville. When Mrs. Harris ran to meet the soldiers, carrying her little girl in her arms, covered with blood and blackened by powder, Major Fitzgerald, the officer in command, cried out "Good God! Are you a white woman?" while tears ran down the cheeks of the bronzed and bearded men.
    The little son of Mrs. Harris had disappeared. Every ravine and thicket for miles around was carefully searched by men aided by the soldiers but not a trace of the missing child was ever found. What pen could picture the grief of the sorrowing mother as the long years rolled by bringing no solution of the awful mystery. I have not the time to go further into details. The war was brought to a close in 1856 and the Indians taken to the reservation in the Willamette country.

Medford Mail Tribune, January 10, 1932, page 5


Jacksonville-Crescent Road Pioneer
Pathway for Valley Commerce
    Construction of the wagon road linking Jacksonville with Crescent City is described in this chapter of Mrs. Alice Applegate Sargent's history of Southern Oregon along with a review of the days when this section was visited by volunteers from California and Douglas County, here to participate in the Indian wars. Industries and improvements growing out of the struggle are listed.
----
    During the Indian wars there was quite a body of troops in the Rogue River Valley. Two companies of volunteers from California, six companies which were organized here in the valley and one from Douglas County, besides the regular troops stationed at Fort Lane.
    The toll road was built across the Siskiyou Mountains in 1857-8 under authorization of the Oregon legislature. The Oregon and California Stage Company was organized in 1860 to carry mail between Sacramento and Portland.
    A wagon road was built between Jacksonville and Crescent City this same year and a stage line established.
    A company of volunteers was organized in Jacksonville in 1861 called the "Baker Guard." In 1863 a company of state troops was organized in Ashland. It was Company A 1st Regiment 1 Brigade of Oregon militia and was called the "Mountain Rangers."
    A telegraph line was established in 1866, and the little valley of the Rogue was put into communication with the outside world.
    A woolen mill was built in Ashland in 1867-8 at a coat of $32,000. This mill was destroyed by fire some years ago. When I was a child there were eight large flouring mills in the valley, and hundreds of pounds of flour were carried out of the valley by pack animals and wagon, besides what was consumed in the valley. From the old Barron farm at the foot of the Siskiyous to Rogue River, the valley was golden with grain and the yield was from thirty to fifty bushels of wheat to the acre. Almost every farmer in the valley had planted an orchard; many of them were very large. I have never seen finer fruit, for in those days the fruit was perfectly free from diseases; a wormy apple was unheard of. Spraying was not necessary and smudging was never resorted to, as there was always an abundance of fruit. When the orchards came into bearing, the country east of the Cascades and the mining towns of California were supplied with fruit from the Rogue River Valley. The first apples raised in the valley were Gloria Mundis, raised on the Skinner place on Bear Creek and sold to a wealthy miner from Gold Hill for $2.50 each.
Conclusion.
    Jacksonville, besides being the first town founded in the Rogue River Valley, was at one time the richest and most flourishing. It had been settled by people of education and culture who were wide-awake and progressive. I marvel now that people so isolated could have kept so abreast of the times.
    When this valley was dotted with beautiful farms and Ashland called Ashland Mills, Phoenix known as Gasburg and Jacksonville was the hub of the universe--so to speak--my father moved his family from Douglas County, where I was born, to Southern Oregon, and we lived for two years at the toll house on the Siskiyous.
Freight Over the Siskiyou Toll Road.
    Looking back to that time, I realize that it was a wonderful experience for a child. Every day the road was thronged. There were immense freight wagons drawn by six and eight yoke of oxen, towering Mariette wagons, drawn by six spans of horses. These we called "the bell teams." The leading span had fastened to the collars bows of iron which were hung with little bells.
    These bells were worn to warn other teams, as there were only occasional places on the narrow mountain grade where these teams could pass one another. When the driver of a team came to one of these places he would stop and listen; if he heard the faintest sound of bells, there was nothing to do but wait until the other team passed.
    Then there were the long trains of 50, 60 and 80 pack mules, all following the bell mare in single file. Twice daily the great red and yellow stage coaches went swinging by, drawn by six splendid horses. Unless a horse weighed so many pounds and was so many hands high the Oregon and California Stage Company would not so much as look at them. They were all matched teams, and I recall especially the sorrels and the grays. There were long trains of travel-stained immigrants with their weary ox teams. Think what the feelings of these people must have been when they crossed the Siskiyou Mountains and beheld far below them the promised land, the Rogue River Valley, lying like a beautiful garden between the mountain ranges.

Medford Mail Tribune, January 17, 1932, page 9




Last revised April 28, 2019