Knights of Pythias Talisman Lodge #31
A Very Incomplete
© 2006-2019 Ben
Truwe, truwe[at]mind.net. All rights reserved.
Last revised November 3, 2019
June 13, 2006, as part of my background research for the Fred
Alton Haight diary, I visited Knights of Pythias Talisman
Lodge #31 at its
current home at 2301 Upper River Road
Lodge Secretary Bruce A. Stevens graciously allowed me to take notes
from the original meeting minutes
Roster of Knighthood for the years between 1901 and 1921. For more on
Talisman Lodge events, knights and ceremonies, see the diary.
anyone should be interested in pursuing
research into members of Talisman Lodge, Bruce let me know that these
eventually revert to the state organization.
Following are my notes.
April 7, 1892 Medford Mail
September 1895: Sharing the Masonic Lodge in Sam Rosenthal's Rialto Block, north side of east main just off central. (Medford Mail, September 20, 1895, page 1)
May 1901: Move to Johnson-Childers Building, 318 E. Main (Medford Mail, May 17, 1901, page 7)
Circa 1904: J-C Building sold to J. C. Smith (Medford Mail,
August 23, 1907, page 1)
pre-1906: Smith's Hall on North Grape--see 3/16/1906 reference below.
pre-1906: Main: "Smith & Molony have leased their former quarters
in the old K. of P. building on Seventh Street to French & Co., of
Portland, who will soon establish a grocery and feed store there."
1906 city directory: “south
7th near A”
(Johnson-Childers building at 318 E. Main, marked “lodge
rooms” on 1907 Sanborn
Fire Insurance map). J-C building reportedly sold to KofP in 1901.
directories: 123 E. Main
An ad for domestic science lectures in the October 17, 1913 Mail Tribune (page 3) lists the venue as "K. of P. Hall over Moe & Co." J. N. Moe & Co. was at 125 E. Main
A sheet of letterhead pasted into the
1920 minutes gives the lodge address as 125 West Main
On April 18, 1921 the lodge voted 106
to 27 to
build a lodge at 6th and Holly (over three other possible locations).
The lodge may not have been
built at this location.
On July 12, 1927, the Medford Mail Tribune reported
that the lodge has sold the 6th and Holly lot and the previous evening
accepted a plan "submitted by Knight Carl Fichtner to build a second
story of 75x100 feet on his business building at Sixth and Fir streets
now housing the Medford Vulcanizing Works and Fichtner's Garage."
The 1927 Sanborn Fire Insurance map
Knights of Pythias hall upstairs at 117-127 West Main (near the
southeast corner of Main and Grape), above an auto showroom.
The August 3, 1930 Medford Mail Tribune
(page 3) reports the purchase of the Woodmen of the World hall by the Knights of Pythias.
A March 15, 1940 Medford News article
(page 1) announces a dial telephone demonstration at the Knights of
Pythias hall, "at Fifth and Grape streets."
The 1950 Sanborn Fire Insurance map shows the
Knights of Pythias hall at 145 North Grape (northwest corner of Fifth and
Newspapers and Minutes
Medford Mail, November
17, 1893, page 3:
The Knights of Pythias order of this city
are arranging to give their fourth annual ball on Christmas night.
Those occasions have heretofore been ones of much pleasure, and this
now promised will surely be nothing less.
Medford Mail, March 23, 1894, page 3:
Another Pythian Social.
A few weeks ago we wrote quite at length
regarding a social given by the Knights of Pythias of Medford. This
affair was a most pleasant one, but the occasion of their second
social, given last Monday evening, was so far superior in every respect
as to lose the first in the oblivion of forgetfulness. There were fully
seventy-five members and invited friends present, and to say that they
all enjoyed themselves is but to mention it in a very moderate degree
when it should be written in the superlative. The occasion was not only
one of sociability, but a goodly part of the evening was taken up with
a literary and musical program. At about the hour when the clock on the
mantle sounded the eighth stroke, Chancellor Commander G. A. Merriman
announced the opening of the evening's program. First was a song by the
Medford male quartette, composed of Messrs. N. L. Narregan, D. T.
Lawton, E. Phipps and E. C. Wells; following this was prayer by Rev. A.
S. Foster, and after this was instrumental music by Miss Myrtle Hart.
Rev. J. Merley was then called upon for a speech, and the gentleman
responded with a willingness which told plainly of the deep interest he
felt in the Pythian order, of which he is a member. He spoke quite at
length, but so interesting and ennobling were his remarks that all
regretted their close. Judging from the trend of the reverend
gentleman's discourse one could not but reach the conclusion that the
Pythian Knight who lives up to the teachings of his order is made a
better man to his family, to himself and to his fellow man. First in
his estimation of uplifting organizations came his church, but closely
following and allied to the church was the order of Knights of Pythias.
Another song by the male quartette was most favorably received, and
following this was a declamation by Percy DeGroot, he whose renditions
are pleasing and always loudly applauded; a very finely rendered solo
by Mrs. A. S. Foster followed, and after this another song by the
quartette. Miss Grace Foster then gave a very nicely rendered solo, and
following which was a pleasing declamation by little Elna Wait--the
program closing with another song by the male quartette. The exercises
thus far had been of a nature belonging to the most refined, and well
selected--and appreciated--but the social part was yet to come.
Chancellor Commander Merriman then announced that a taffy pull would be
indulged in just so soon as the taffy could be gotten in proper trim
for the puller, and he invited all to turn in and have a good, social
time with their neighbor in the interval--and that was just what they
did, and everybody talked and laughed with everybody else, and a
happier crowd you never saw. There wasn't a person in the castle hall
but was having just a little more fun than anyone else. The taffy was
soon brought in and distributed among the guests, and the pulling
process was inaugurated. It was a very timid pull at first, but it soon
developed into a haul, and the haul was largely of taffy from one
another. After several large panfuls of this article had been
distributed and pulled until the puller was completely fatigued and the
substance of the pull had faded from view, the party adjourned, but not
until all had expressed their gratitude toward the order for the
evening's most pleasant entertainment--and with one accord they
exclaimed, "Long live and prosper the Pythian Knights."
The members of the order desire us to express, for
them, their gratitude to those who kindly and ably assisted in making
the social so complete a success.
We had hoped to find room to print the names of all
present, but upwards of seventy-five is too long a list to find space
Medford Mail, May 17, 1901, page 7:
Monday evening the Knights of Pythias moved their goods and
chattels to their new hall, which they recently purchased from Guy
Childers, and are now comfortably domiciled therein. They are
furnishing the lodge room with new carpets, etc., and later on will
make other improvements tending to beautify their new home. They will
use both rooms on the second floor--one for a lodge room and the other
for a banquet hall, which will be fitted up for this purpose. There is
but one other order in Medford which owns its hall--the Odd
Fellows--and the fact that the K. of P. boys are able to defray the
expenses of the order and have money left to invest, speaks volumes for
the stability of their order. They have over ninety members at present
and are steadily acquiring new ones.
Medford Mail, June 14, 1901, page 2:
Knights of Pythias Hall Directory.
The K. of P. boys are more than jubilant since they
have moved into their new hall. Much of this jollification is due to
the fact that they have been most fortunate in finding renters for
their hall nearly every night in the week. The rentals received from
other societies will just about pay the interest on their investment,
and they will make the saving of their own rent. Following is given a
directory of meeting nights of the different societies:
Knights of Pythias, every Monday night.
Modern Woodmen, first and third Tuesdays of each month.
Women of Woodcraft, second and fourth Tuesdays.
G.A.R., second and fourth Wednesdays.
W.R.C., second and fourth Wednesday afternoons.
Woodmen of the World, Thursday of each week.
Fraternal Brotherhood, every Friday.
Fraternal Union, every Saturday.
It will be seen by the above that only the first and third Wednesday nights of the month are not taken.
Medford Mail, July 19, 1901, page 7:
The recently installed officers in Talisman
lodge No. 31, K. of P., are Asa Fordyce, CC; E. D. Elwood, VC; J. A.
Perry, P; W. E. Phipps, MA; Robt. Lawton, IG.
Medford Mail, December 13, 1901, page 7:
The K. of P. boys and the K. of P. boys'
girls and wives, to the number of about sixty, had a most delightful
social time at lodge hall on Monday evening of this week. This was the
regular meeting night of the lodge, but all business was sidetracked
and the entire evening was given over to a continual round of good
time. Various games of cards were played together with crokinole and
other amusements. Some enjoyed a few whirls to waltz music in the
banquet hall adjoining--and everybody had lots of fun--and the boys
felt pretty good because they were Knights, while the ladies were
elated because of the fact that they were so intimately associated with
such a crowd of gallant young men--who to them are knights always,
either inside or outside the lodge room. Refreshments were also
furnished and were partaken of with a relish that would give Delmonico
Medford Mail, March 7, 1902, page 7:
members of Talisman lodge No. 31, Knights of Pythias, are figuring on
having an exceptionally good time at banquet hall Monday evening, the
occasion being the serving of an oyster supper. Some few weeks ago a
proposition was made at a meeting of the lodge which was in effect that
the chancellor commander and vice chancellor commander choose sides and
the two sides enter into a contest in their quest for new members for a
given length of time. The proposition was accepted, and the commanders
of the opposing sides chose lieutenants to assist them in their work
from the members of the lodge--and the battle royal began. The losing
party, or the side securing the lesser number of applicants, was to
furnish an oyster supper to all the members of the lodge, including the
newly acquired candidates. The time limit expired last Monday night and
Vice Chancellor Commander J. A. Perry and his lieutenants were declared
the winners, having secured seventeen applications, while Chancellor
Commander E. D. Elwood and his aides secured but seven. It was decided
by the winning side that oysters would be quite to their liking at a
time of even date with next Monday night, March 10th, while the losing
side began multiplying the price of an oyster supper for one by two (a
numeral as high as four may be required in this multiplication) and
have promised to do the banquet grand upon this occasion. There ought
to be no hopples on any member of the lodge sufficient to prevent his
Medford Mail, April
14, 1905, page 5:
Among the new business buildings under consideration is
where the Rialto cigar store is now located. Karnes & Ritter,
owners of the property, are figuring on building a two-story brick,
102 feet in length, with a twenty-five-foot front. . . . The first
story of this building will be used by Messrs. Karnes & Ritter,
the second story will have a suite of office rooms in front and back of
this, in all probability, will be located the home of Talisman Lodge
No. 31, K. of P. There will be a chapel 25x61 in size, a banquet room
18x35 feet and two anterooms, each 11x12 feet.
Medford Mail, January 12, 1906, page 5:
Lodge K. of P. have moved into their new lodge room in the Karnes
Ritter-Kelly building and the members of the lodge are congratulating
themselves and the order over having one of the nicest lodge rooms in
Southern Oregon. The main lodge room occupies the full width of the
rear of the upper floor of the building and is twenty-eight feet wide
by forty-five feet long. In addition there is a commodious banquet
room, with anterooms and closets necessary to the work of the lodge.
The floor is carpeted with Brussels carpet and nothing has been omitted
in the way of furnishings to make it a comfortable and cheery fraternal
home. The pedestals for the officers are in keeping with the rest of
the fittings and are designed especially for the use of the K. of P.
and no other order. They are made of native Oregon oak and manufactured
by Weeks Bros.
Medford Mail, January 26, 1906, page 5:
Weeks this week placed in position the new furniture for the K. of P.
hall. Five fine native oak pedestals have been put in; also four large,
massive officers' chairs. These articles of lodge fittings are
unquestionably the best ever put into any lodge room in Medford--and we
doubt if there are any better in the state. The design, workmanship and
material cannot be excelled by any workmen in any country. The K. of P.
lodge room is a place of beauty--and good to look upon. The lodge has
expended fully $1000 in fitting up their new home.
Medford Mail, March 16, 1906, page 5
All socialists are requested to attend a meeting at the old K.
of P. hall (Smith's hall) Tuesday evening, at 7:30, for the purpose of
reorganization of the Socialist Club.
Medford Mail, July 6, 1906, page 5
Installation of officers of Talisman Lodge, K. of P., was held Monday
night, but the ceremonies were curtailed considerably, owing to the
heat and the fact that ice cream and fixin's were on tap in the banquet
room. The ice cream hit just the proper spot, and the installation will
be completed later on.
Medford Mail, August 23, 1907, page 1
"How We Grow.
"About three years ago Talisman Lodge, K. of P. sold their two-story
building on 7th Street between A and B to J. C. Smith for $4000."
Medford Mail, December 6, 1907, page 2
"The order Woodmen of the World has moved from the hall
known as the old K. of P. hall, on East Seventh Street, to the Angle
opera house block and will occupy the Redmen hall."
Medford Mail Tribune, December 15, 1910, page 8
"KNIGHTS OF PYTHIAS HAVE HOUSE WARMING
"The Knights of Pythias hall was comfortably filled with local
and visiting Knights and their friends last evening, when a hall
warming was held, and everyone present had some word of appreciation of
the merits of the order to offer.. The affair was strictly 'stag' and
Every man who cared to do so (and most of them indulged) smoked as many
good cigars as possible.
"Those present were seated at tables and shuffled the pasteboards. The
committee in charge passed around lemonade, punch and cold lunch all
the while the games were going. After the evening had advanced apace, a
short program was given and under the 'good of the order' almost every
man present had a few words to say. The evening was closed by singing
the closing ode."
Dec. 31, 1917:
“After some music by brothers Haight and Rader, lodge
adjourned with the understanding that we meet Wednesday evening, Jan.
1918. . . .”
Oct. 8 , 1917:
“Brother B. J. Trowbridge reports an opportunity to rent the
rooms commonly known as the Armory for $30.00 per month for two years
privilege of 3 years more at $40.00. Motion was properly made and
that we rent the quarters and B. J. Trowbridge was appointed a
committee of one
to close the deal and fix the lease papers.”
Jan. 14, 1918:
“In a few well chosen words P. G. C. Brother Wortman, on
behalf of Talisman lodge presented brother Haight an official lapel
token of the esteem and appreciation of this lodge for his services and
on our behalf.”
April. 22, 1918:
“M. A. Rader tenders his resignation as K. R. S. as he is to
move from Medford
April 29, 1918:
Paid to “Pottenger & Amy Hall Rent 3 mo to July 1st
Jan. 13, 1919:
“Under Good of the Order Brother Haight favored us with
several very fine Instrumental Selections.”
Aug 18, 1919:
“Our committee on entertainment surprised us with a musical
treat of rare Excellence consisting of Instrumental Solos by Miss
Gore & Vocal Solos by Mrs Scudder.”
Feb. 23, 1920:
“Brother A. J. Vance gave us a two hour talk on his
observations & experiences in the Service of his Country
& after the
Armistice was Signed. Covering travel through France
The Subject was so
Interesting to all
that an Invitation was extended Brother Vance to give us another
chapter of his
experiences at a near future date.”
March 22, 1920:
“Short talks on Good of the Order. Some choice musical
Selections & the Eats occupied the time till the small hours of
morning. All expressed themselves as having been well entertained
the hope that they might be permitted to attend many Roll Call meetings
March 29, 1920:
Medford Mail Tribune,
“This Meeting was the Occasion of a visit by Grand
Chancellor Julian A. Hurley also an Open Meeting about 250 Knights
Sisters Daughters & Sweethearts. Grand Chancellor Hurley made
the talk of
the evening. The Programme consisted of Readings
– Music – Stunts – followed by Ice Cream
January 18, 1921, page 3:
"KNIGHTS PYTHIAS HOLD
pages were proven in the rank of Esquire at last night’s
session of the
Knights of Pythias. The lesson of the rank was presented in a very
and will linger long in the minds of the Esquires. The eats committee,
by Knight Homer Keed, contributed materially to the enjoyment of the
and at a late hour, two hundred good Knights lay down to sleep in quiet
with the remembrance of a perfect evening.”
April 17, 1921, page 11:
"PYTHIANS LOCATE NEW HOME
"MEDFORD, Or., April 26.--(Special.)--The site of
the new home of the Medford lodge of Knights and Pythias will be
located at Sixth and Holly streets, across from the federal building.
Work on the proposed structure will not be begun until a year from now,
however. The building will be used exclusively for lodge purposes with
the latest club room accommodations, and with an auditorium large
enough to take care of the Dramatic Order Knights of Khorassan
From the Roster of Knighthood:
F. A. Haight, occupation: Musician
Ranks conferred: Page 2/22/1915, Esquire 5/10/1915, Knight
From 2/22/1915 minutes: (handwritten
into preprinted form)
“By special dispensation application recd. & rank
given [to Haight] same
date." This was unusual. The only other candidate afforded this honor
during these years was architect Frank Clark.
Suspended 6/25/1923, for non-payment of dues
1916 Lodge Roster
to Nov. 13, 1916 minutes, as part of a membership
drive the lodge membership was divided into two teams; “each
will be entitled to one point for each new member.”
“It is understood that the
losing side is to furnish free of cost to the winning side a solid gold
official lapel button K of P. to each member of the winning side who
brought in one or more members.” The teams consisted of the
comprising presumably a complete membership roster for November 1916:
A similar membership drive was conducted in 1920:
Alenderfer, O. O.
Barkdull, J. E.
Brown, S. I.
Cherry, George W.
DeArmond, H. L.
Erickson, M. L.
Gardner, G. A.
Garretson, A. R.
Gilbert, Van R.
Godlove, J. C.
Gould, G. G.
Haight, F. A.
Hale, J. F.
Haney, B. E.
Harrison, J. H.
Harrison, J. T.
Haswell, H. T.
Hinman, L. E.
Isaacs, W. F.
Jaqua, E. W.
Kelly, E. E.
Kershaw, J. L.
Lunge, F. N.
Molony, J. P.
Mulkey, B. F.
Olmstead, J. E.
Perl, John A.
Porter, E. H.
Putney, G. H.
Rader, M. A.
Reynolds, O. E.
Rinabarger, C. A.
Saunders, C. E.
Schmidt, E. F.
Singler, W. H.
Smith, J. C.
Sowers, R. H.
Steel, Will R.
Thayer, F. G.
Thomas, C. M.
Trowbridge, Ben J., Chmn.
Trowbridge, E. G. Jr.
Vance, A. J.
Watkins, C. B.
Welch, E. A.
West, George H.
Woods, W. W.
Allen, W. D.
Baker, W. P.
Beach, R. G.
Borden, N. W.
Boyd, C. R.
Branham, H. M.
Bunch, R. A.
Collins, B. M.
Conrad, John T.
Cunningham, A. B.
Damon, L. L.
Dent, J. E.
Earhart, W. C.
Earl, R. J.
Ebel, R. R.
Ewing, R. L.
Flynn, T. K.
Gates, C. E.
Gifford, T. J.
Gore, E. E.
Harper, G. R.
Harrison, C. W., Chmn.
Henselman, J. H.
Hubbard, A. C.
Klien, E. J.
Klocker, A. J.
Lane, C. J.
Lindley, F. G.
Loder, F. F.
Mackey, H. C.
Manning, O. A.
McGraw, N. L.
Mego, L. P.
Neff, P. J.
Newman, F. J.
Offutt, William N.
Pierce, George E.
Ray, C. R.
Rice, E. C.
Roads, C. F.
Roberts, George M.
Schulz, W. H.
Sherman, F. L.
Staub, William N.
Stearns, R. W.
Trowbridge, H. G. Sr.
Van Horn, J. G.
Wilson, E. W.
Wortman, H. G.
“ELECT E. E. GORE
K. OF P. LODGE
was a very large attendance at the regular
meeting of Talisman Lodge Knights of Pythias Monday night, it being the
occasion of the election of officers for the ensuing term. E. E. Gore,
one of Medford’s most popular business men was unanimously
chancellor commander as a fitting tribute and recognition of his
loyalty and untiring efforts in the cause of Pythianism. The other
officers elected were: W. R. Gaylord, vice chancellor; J. T. Perry,
prelate; Ben J. Trowbridge, master of exchequer; C. W. Harrison, master
of finance; E. F. Robinson, keeper of records and seals; Carl Fichtner,
master of arms; C. B. Watkins, inner guard; L. L. Damon, outer guard,
and George Gould, trustee.
“After the election of
officers the following
candidates were found in waiting and were duly introduced and initiated
into the mysteries of the rank of page: George Gates, George W.
Laidley, Glenn Laidley, A. W. Lewis, and George W. Maddox.
“In keeping with the principles of the lodge to put sunshine
gladness into the hearts of men, and in order that the children of this
community might be the recipients of a practical exemplification of
that principle, the lodge has decided to hold a public reception with a
Christmas tree for the children of Medford at its Castle hall on
December 24th at 2 p.m.
“In view of the fact
that the lodge membership is increasing very rapidly, it was decided to
hold a membership contest by dividing the present membership in two
teams, and the losing team to treat the winning team to a banquet the
latter part of January. Ben J. Trowbridge and John Palmer were elected
as captains of the opposing teams. The proceedings of the evening were
concluded by a short recital by the efficient kitchen patrol consisting
of Messrs. Cooper, Perry and Reed.”
[Medford Mail Tribune, December 8, 1920, p. 1]
Lodge 1920 Roster
I compiled a list of all lodge
members mentioned in the "Roll
of Officers" and minutes for Jan. 7, 1918 through July 25,
covered by the Haight diary. A comparison with the 1916 list confirms
my suspicion that many names are misspelled.
This is not a complete membership
roll, and many of
the names below are applicants or transfers, a few of which may have
rejected or withdrawn.
Albright, Melvin Jackson
Anderson, Karl E.
Angle, O. E.
Baker, R. Chester
Barber, W. E.
Barkdull, J. E.
Barney, Clarence O.
Barr, Orville E.
Barrows, Walter E.
Barton, Harold E.
Beach, R. G.
Bedingfield, J. A.
Beeson, Elton E.
Benedict, Fred R.
Blasing, Walter E.
Blore, Frank S.
Bodenhammer, F. E.
Bonar, D. A.
Bonney, George M.
Bowman, Carl D.
Boyd, C. R.
Brewster, Delbert O.
Bross, Frank W.
Brown, E. J.
Brown, E. O.
Brown, Edward E.
Brown, Harry B.
Brown, Hugh E.
Brown, John O.
Brown, Thomas R.
Burkland, Dr. A.
Canaday, Hamil A.
Cate, Claude C.
Childers, G. A.
Childs, Harry W.
Clark, Frank L.
Clark, Herbert B.
Clark, W. J.
Clark, W. J. H.
Clemens, Cecil A.
Close, R. V.
Clough, C. A.
Coiman, Nick A.
Cole, C. S.
Collins, George H.
Combes, S. E.
Cones, James C.
Conrad, J. T.
Corman, Nick A.
Cormany, George O.
Corwin, W. H.
Craig, Thomas B.
Cross, G. W.
Crowson, W. F.
Crowson, W. J.
Crowson, W. W.
Cunningham, W. B.
Currie, John A.
Daley, Victor H.
Damon, Lloyd L.
Darby, John H.
Darneille, Everett G.
Davis, Dana M.
Dawson, Harry M.
DeArmond, H. L.
Denzer, L. A.
Dodge, J. M.
Douglass, George W.
Dunaway, J. H.
Edsall, Thomas L.
Egan, Thomas S.
Elwood, L. R.
Erickson, O. F.
Erskine, W. M.
Farmer, R. F.
Fehl, Earl H.
Fields, W. C.
Fifer, B. F.
Fifer, R. D.
Finley, J. A.
Fisk, George N.
Flaherty, R. D.
Flynn, D. L.
Forgey, Albert P.
Foster, C. W.
Fredericks, Delmer O.
Frey, O. E.
Fullerton, H. L.
Ganettson, A. R.
Gardner, G. A.
Garnettson, A. R.
Garrett, W. O.
Gates, George E.
Gaylord, W. R.
Gentry, Will G.
Giem, Harry L.
Gilbert, Van R.
Gillmore, Charles W.
Gilmore, Charles M.
Glasgow, C. W.
Gleeson, Walter G.
Godlove, J. C.
Goold, G. G.
Gore, E. E.
Gore, Jay I.
Gore, W. H.
Gray, Merle C.
Griffin, Charles C.
Grover, H. G.
Haney, B. E.
Hansen, J. P.
Harmon, R. W.
Harrison, C. W.
Harrison, P. B.
Harrison, Renard R.
Harrison, Robert M.
Haswell, H. T.
Hauser, James P.
Heimroch, C. R.
Heine, T. G.
Hemstreet, J. W.
Henderson, L. W.
Hendrickson, J. L.
Henry, R. J.
Henselman, Charles F.
Herring, J. C.
Hicks, J. E.
Hinman, L. E.
Hodgeman, K. E.
Hogg, F. W.
Holibaugh, F. C.
Howard, George L.
Hubbard, B. F.
Hubers, F. J.
Isaacs, W. F.
Jacobs, Edward F.
Jaqua, E. W.
Johnson, George Edgar
Johnson, M. S.
Johnston, J. F.
Jones, John H.
Joy, B. F.
Judy, John W.
Judy, Torrence T.
Keizur, Clarence A.
Kinz, Dr. George J.
Kirkpatrick, J. W.
Klein, E. J.
Klocker, A. J.
Kunzman, George J.
Laidley, George W.
Laidley, W. G.
Laison, William C.
Lamb, Milo E.
Lamb, W. R.
Larned, Walter C.
Launspach, Herbert G.
Lenney, J. A.
Leonard, Morris B.
Leonard, Paul M.
Lewis, A. W.
Lindas, Benjamin F.
Lindley, G. F.
Locke, William H.
Loomis, Gailord M.
Low, J. D.
Lowe, D. M.
Lowe, L. D.
Lozier, John W.
Luman, Charles Wesley
Luman, Will A.
Maddox, George E.
Maloney, J. P.
Mansfield, George A.
Matney, John M.
Maule, John W.
Maust, O. C.
McCorkle, J. A.
McDannel, Dennis M.
McDonald, Paul B.
McGraw, N. S.
McIntyre, William B. M.
McKee, F. E.
McKeown, Robert Bruce
McLaughlin, Charlie M.
McMahan, A. T.
McMann, W. S.
McNeff, Fred L.
McReynolds, C. B.
Menell, Norman J.
Merrick, E. P.
Miller, Charles H.
Mittelstaedt, A. C.
Mochel, Charles F.
Moran, T. L.
Mulkey, B. F.
Myers, O. V.
Neilson, George W.
Noe, C. T.
Nordwick, Arthur R.
Nordwick, Harry F.
Norris, T. C.
O’Brien, J. A.
Palmer, J. B.
Perry, H. J.
Perry, Jesse T.
Petty, J. T.
Petty, R. A.
Phipps, W. E.
Pierce, William G.
Pierson, W. E.
Pollnitz, R. W.
Purl, Henry B.
Pursel, George Henry
Pursell, Charles W.
Pursell, Charles W. Jr.
Rader, M. A.
Rasmussen, H. C.
Ray, Dr. C. R.
Reed, H. J.
Reed, Homer J.
Rice, E. C.
Richardson, E. J.
Robinson, E. F.
Robinson, James C.
Robison, E. F.
Rohrer, W. W.
Root, Edward C.
Rouse, Fred L.
Rouse, T. G.
Salter, R. E.
Sasnett, J. Randolph
Saunders, J. B.
Schell, C. D.
Schmidt, E. F.
Schulz, William H.
Scutte, C. E.
Seaman, Lloyd E.
Sebreau, F. W.
Sheldon, Ben C.
Shelley, C. W.
Silts, Dave S.
Simonds, Malcolm H.
Sitts, Dave S.
Smith, Aubrey G.
Smith, Winfried L.
Snider, E. W.
Snyder, O. S.
Sollar, Levi Oscar
Sowe, D. M.
Springer, D. S.
Sprinkle, L. G.
Sprinkler, L. L.
Stamper, H. G.
Steel, Will G.
Stephenson, R. O.
Stolz, Harry C.
Stripp, Fred S.
Styles, R. V.
Sullivan, Bert M.
Sunderland, L. K.
Sweeney, Charles T.
Swem, T. M.
Talbert, L. Ray
Talent, Charles P.
Tedrick, Clarence C.
Temple, Thomas T.
Tengwald, Carl Y.
Thomas, C. M.
Thomas, Fern W.
Trowbridge, B. J.
Truax, W. W.
Tunnell, E. L.
Turner, A. B.
Turner, Fred G.
Turner, Fred J.
Vance, A. J.
Vance, Borden A. J.
Vance, Winston C.
Vilas, Edward Platt
Vilas, J. S.
Vilm, E. N.
Voorhies, Gordon Jr.
Wait, F. Wilson
Wakefield, E. W.
Wakefield, J. W.
Walker, A. W.
Walker, Clark J.
Walker, Clay E.
Walker, Cleveland F.
Washburn, Howard H.
Watkins, C. B.
Watson, F. J.
Webber, C. K.
Webber, E. L.
Webber, E. S.
Welch, William M.
Wendt, George W.
Westerlund, J. A.
Wheeler, Sidney A.
Whillock, C. W.
Whisenant, W. K.
White, Andrew E.
White, Ed M.
Whiting, Louis W.
Williams, H. H.
Williams, Lloyd A.
Willits, Merle M.
Woodford, J. R.
Wortman, H. G.
Wortman, Harry G. Jr.
York, Earl H.
Yost, Ray C.
Yothers, W. A.
Young, Paul A.
K. of P. Have Big Time at Crater Lake
CRATER LAKE, Aug. 17.--Once more the members of the Talisman Lodge No.
31, Knights of Pythias, have convened in the crater within a crater,
and in the majestic silence of the mighty mountaintop surrounded by the
blue waters of this great lake, have held their solemn initiation
service. Talisman Lodge is of Medford, Oregon, but participants in the
service were from all parts of the United States, for the Crater Lake
conclave of the Medford Lodge has become famous across the land, and
will hereafter be an annual event. Today many of them have departed.
Second Initiation Is Held on Wizard Island. Mystic Spell
Wrought by Sublime Grandeur of Famous Spot Used
to Add Impressiveness to Ceremonies.
Two years ago the members of the Knights of Pythias met for the first
time in the extinct volcano's crater in the center of a lake of the
bluest blue water, thousands of feet deep. So great an impression did
the splendor and dignity of this unique lodge room make that this year
a second migration took place. The members arrived August 14th, and
remained three days. On the first day a dancing party was held in the
spacious lobby of Crater Lake Lodge, through the courtesy of Alfred L.
Parkhurst, owner and manager. In addition to the dancing was a program
of singing and speaking.
Will G. Steel, park commissioner, made
the chief address of the evening. He welcomed his visiting brothers to
Crater Lake National Park, and told them something of the plans for the
future of this wonderful spot.
Wednesday was the busy day for
the visitors. Rising at 6 o'clock, they made the climb to the crater,
763 feet above the water's edge, by 8 o'clock. They crossed the lake to
the island on the large launch which plies the lake. They returned to
their camping ground at 1 o'clock, where luncheon was enjoyed. In the
afternoon they repeated portions of their work in the crater before a
motion picture camera operated by A. C. Allen of Medford for the
Gaumont Motion Picture Corporation. In the evening dancing was again
enjoyed, the music being provided by the K. of P. orchestra. Mrs. Phil
Norton, the California artist, sang, and talks were made by a number of
Today was devoted to saying goodbye, and many
left for home. A number will remain in camp for a week or two, enjoying
the fishing in the lake and tramping along trails edged by magnificent
natural scenic effects. Crater Lake Lodge was filled to overflowing by
the Knights, and beds were improvised for many. Fully 300 were present.
The splendid trail being built to the water's edge attracted favorable
comment from the visitors. Work on the trail was delayed during the
ascent of the Knights.
Evening Herald, Klamath Falls, August 17, 1917, page 1
“K.P. COMMANDER GORE
ANNOUNCES 1921 COMMITTEES
committees are announced by
Chancellor Commander E. E. Gore for the coming six months term in
Talisman lodge, Knights of Pythias:
Heine, F. A. Haight, H. H. Williams.
committee—Homer Reed, E. C. Rice, Jess Brownlee.
committee—R. G. Beach, W. G. Laidley, Jr., J. B. Palmer.
committee—Aside from standing committee, Earl Webber, J. W.
Wakefield, B. J. Trowbridge.
committee—N. W. Borden, Jas. Stewart, W. R. Gaylord.
“Members are especially reminded of the lecture next Monday
Frank Grant of Portland, in connection with the initiation of the class
of seventy-five new men into the first rank.”
[Medford Mail Tribune,
January 8, 1921, p. 6]