Jackson County 1930
Ashland Characterized as "Town That Came Back"
by Editorial in Journal
Loss of the Southern Pacific railroad shops with a $30,000 monthly payroll and more than 400 workers in 1926 did not break the spirit of Ashland, Oregon.
That loss was caused by completion of the Natron Cutoff. Removal of the shops to Eugene, with payroll and workers and routing of the major portion of the coast traffic from the Shasta to the Cascade line, followed. In spite of these losses Ashland has advanced substantially in population and traffic.
In 1920 Ashland had a population of 4283. In 1930 the census showed 4558, an increase of 275, or approximately 7 percent.
This does not include the Southern Oregon Normal School enrollment, which is in the neighborhood of 750 annually, or an average attendance in the neighborhood of 200.
Land settlement on the fertile foothills adjacent to Ashland is largely responsible for the healthy condition and growth of the city.
Ashland has the most beautiful small park in Oregon.
Ashland has municipally owned light and water plants.
Ashland has completed a half-million-dollar construction and improvement project that ensures an abundant pure water supply.
Ashland has spent $50,000 in improving the street lighting system.
Bank resources in the city totaled $2,562,788 in 1929, an increase of $316,779 over 1920.
With the tourist crop an ever-increasing source of revenue to Ashland as the "gateway city," the city has provided ample first-class tourist accommodations, the Lithia Springs Hotel representing a $200,000 community investment, and the remodeling of the new Ashland hotel representing a $60,000 improvement.
An 85-acre tract has been secured for a municipal airport, funds for development to be derived from sale of city-owned timber.
The Ashland box factory, the Moon lumber mill the Ashland Brick & Tile Company, the Blair granite quarry, the Ashland Iron Works, are industrial concerns that find ready markets for their products.
Ashland's famous foothill fruit, valued at over $250,000 annually, finds a ready market in cities to the south and to the north. Especially widely known are the Ashland peaches, unexcelled in quality and flavor.
Development of Bellview and Valley View, two thriving and prosperous communities adjacent to Ashland, has taken place in the last 10 years. Population in these rural communities has increased more than 100 percent.
This development came with the completion of the Talent Irrigation District problem. With approximately 9,000 acres under cultivation, 1929 reports valued fruit and grain produced at $1,315,102. There are now 1218 people in the district.
Ashland is the home of Hillah Temple, with a membership of 650 Shriners. A year ago the Masonic temple underwent improvements costing $15,000. The Ashland lodge of Elks has a membership of 930, one of the largest in the state, and they own and maintain one of the finest lodge homes in Oregon.
The financial condition of the city is good, obligations are met and there are no delinquent bonds, Further improvements in the way of city beautification and development of mineral water resources are included in the 1930 program.
A substantial growth, based on tangible business increase, will follow this program of development.
In the midst of a picturesque environment of valley, forest and mountain, Ashland is one of the most beautifully located cities in the country.--Oregon Journal.
Medford Mail Tribune, June 25, 1930, page 5
Last revised June 28, 2023