The Infamous Black Bird Southern Oregon History, Revised

Medford Pioneers: Earharts

Earhart House, November 4, 1960 Medford Mail Tribune
The Earhart house, 924 South Riverside, shortly before its demolition in 1960.

    Sam Earhart bought the 152-acre farm of William B. and Mary E. Roberts on May 11, 1886.
Jackson County Deeds, book 13, page 528

    Samuel Earhart of Medford brought fine specimens of stone coal from the mine near the Antioch school house, now being thoroughly prospected, one day recently. It was taken from a vein ten feet thick.
"Here and There," Democratic Times, Jacksonville, September 26, 1890, page 3

Sudden Death at Medford.
    Samuel Earhart died at his home at Medford Monday morning about six o'clock. Just previous he awoke, reaching his wife by the arm and saying he was sick. He then turned over in bed and died instantly. Heart disease was the trouble. Mr. Earhart was a Pennsylvanian and came to Medford in 1886, where he purchased the Roberts & O'Neil farm of 250 acres for $7000. It was a fine place, and that figure is now dirt cheap. He was about 60 years of age and leaves a wife and several children, the oldest one now a young man, in comfortable circumstances.
Valley Record, Ashland, March 3, 1892, page 3

                                        A father, a husband, faithful and true,
                                        An honest neighbor, and a soldier, too;
                                        Accused none falsely, content with his own.
                                        Not willing to reap where others had sown.
                                                            --ONE OF HIS MANY NEIGHBORS.
    An old and respected  resident of this valley, Samuel Earhart, died at his residence, about a mile south of Medford, Monday morning, February 29th. Heart disease was the fatal cause. He was born March 24, 1831, in Indiana County, Pa. He was buried Tuesday in the Medford cemetery; one of the largest funerals seen in Medford for some time followed the remains to the grave. A widow and several children are left behind, but well provided for. The local G.A.R. took a prominent part in the last sad services, he being a member of the organization.
"Local News," Medford Mail, March 3, 1892, page 3; also "Here and There," Ashland Tidings, March 11, 1892, page 2

Sudden Death at Medford.
    Samuel Earhart died at his home at Medford Monday morning about six o'clock. Just previous he awoke, reaching his wife by the arm and saying he was sick. He then turned over in bed and died instantly. Heart disease was the trouble. Mr. Earhart was a Pennsylvanian and came to Medford in 1886 where he purchased the Roberts & O'Neil farm of 250 acres for $7000. It was a fine place, and that figure is now dirt cheap. He was about 60 years of age and leaves a wife and several children, the oldest one now a young man, in comfortable circumstances.
Valley Record, Ashland, March 3, 1892, page 3

    A telegram received at Blacklick, on Monday, announced the death of Samuel Earhart, of Medford, Oregon, formerly a resident of Blacklick township, where he has resided for a number of years. He was about 60 years of age and was married to Miss Etta Kinkaid, formerly of Blacklick twp. His remains will be brought to Blacklick for interment.
"Local and Variety," Indiana Democrat, Indiana, Pennsylvania, March 3, 1892, page 3

    Our community was greatly shocked by the sudden death of Samuel Earhart, who died of heart disease last Monday. He leaves a family and a large circle of friends.
"Medford Squibs," Democratic Times, Jacksonville, March 4, 1892, page 2

    Complaints reach us of the bad condition of the Earhart lane and other roads in the middle of the valley, which we hope will have immediate attention at the hands of the proper supervisors. There is also a culvert in Herrin lane that needs immediate attention.
"Here and There,"
Democratic Times, Jacksonville, April 1, 1892, page 3

    SAMUEL EARHART, formerly a prominent citizen of Black Lick Township, died
recently at his home in Medford, Jackson County, Ore. He had resided there about six years. He was about 55 years of age and leaves a widow and six children.
"Recent Deaths," The Gazette, Indiana, Pennsylvania, April 27, 1892, page 4

    May Earhart has gotten along quite nicely in her studies, considering she was promoted during the first term of school and had to catch up with the class. On the death of her father she left school and did not return.

J. C. Fielder, "Our Grade," Southern Oregon Mail, June 10, 1892, page 4

    Miss Clara M. Earhart was chosen by the class to delivery the "valedictory," and the task was performed by her in an impressive manner. Although a sad duty, she carried it out with dignity and likewise with credit to herself.

"Commencement Exercises," Medford Mail, May 26, 1893, page 2

    It is a little late to make mention of the very pleasant time had at Mrs. Etta Earhart's pleasant suburban residence on June first, but as Prof. Narregan agreed to report for us, and he has since taken to tall timber, there is a very good excuse for our neglect. It was a regular old-fashioned carpet rag-sewing bee instituted by the Women's Relief Corps, and attended by nearly all their members and several invited friends. An all-fired nice time was had. Mrs. Earhart, whose culinary ability is undisputed, prepared a most excellent dinner, and in the afternoon a splendid lunch of ice cream and cake was served. There were about thirty-five of the good ladies present, whose names we haven't room to print. Prof. Narregan was also there. He came with the intention of eating ice cream and bother the ladies in their mission of carpet sewing, but he didn't do--not very plentifully, but the ladies bothered him. It was his birthday, and the ladies whipped every particle of dust from Mrs. Earhart's carpets with him. Lost--principal of Medford public schools. When last seen he was doing a double somersault up Griffin Creek.

"All the Local News," Medford Mail, June 16, 1893, page 3

    Mrs. Earhart, who has been quite ill with neuralgia, is considerably improved. Dr. Danielson is the attending physician.

"All the Local News," Medford Mail, July 28, 1893, page 3

    Arthur Earhart, the champion croquet player of Medford, was a pleasant visitor at Lake Creek last Sunday.

"Lake Creek Creeklets," Medford Mail, September 1, 1893 supplement, page 1

    A. K. Earhart left Medford last Friday for Indiana, Penn., where he proposes remaining.

"Purely Personal," Medford Mail, November 17, 1893, page 3

    Arthur Earhart, of Medford, Oregon, is visiting his grandmother, Mrs. Julia Kinkaid.
"Blacklick," Indiana County Gazette, Indiana, Pennsylvania, November 29, 1893, page 4

    One of the community's surprises in the matrimonial line was the marriage of Miss Etta Earhart to Mr. Stevenson, the foreman of her farm.
"Medford Items," Valley Record, Ashland, Oregon, January 18, 1894, page 3

    Married--In Jacksonville, Thursday, January 11, 1894, B. F. Stevenson and Mrs. Etta Earhart, both of Medford.
"All the Local News,"
Medford Mail, January 19, 1894, page 3

    Sunday afternoon the water ditch south of the city overflowed, and nearly the whole country between the Earhart ranch and the city was one solid sheet of water. On South C Street there was a perfect current of water which went tumbling down across resident lots and into Bear Creek.
"Heap Plenty Rain," Medford Mail, January 19, 1894, page 3

    Miss May Earhart began school in the Gordon district Monday.

"Prospect Pointers," Medford Mail, April 20, 1894, page 4

    J. S. Hagey was appointed guardian of the minor heirs of Samuel Earhart instead of administrator of the estate, as printed in this paper last week.

"News of the City," Medford Mail, May 11, 1894, page 3

    Miss May Earhart returned home from the mountains last Monday. Miss Earhart was a member of the Medford public school graduating class of '92 and, on last Friday, closed a three months' term of school in the Gorden district, up on Rogue River, about fifty miles from Medford. The lady is meeting success generally in her school--for all of which her friends congratulate.

"Purely Personal," Medford Mail, July 6, 1894, page 3

Jesse Shawver, while out gunning for quail Tuesday, happened onto a wild goose trail, out on the Earhart place, and succeeded in bagging the game.
"News of the City," Medford Mail, October 19, 1894, page 3

    The new school district, east of Medford, which has been christened Morton, began its first term of school last Monday with seventeen pupils in attendance and Miss May Earhart as teacher. A new school house has been built, and everything is moving along nicely.
"News of the City," Medford Mail, May 17, 1895, page 5

    Miss Mae Earhart, formerly of Medford, is one of the prominent candidates for the Ft. Wrangel, Alaska post office.

"Medford Squibs," Democratic Times, Jacksonville, January 24, 1898, page 3

    Miss Clara Earhart, formerly of Medford, has been appointed postmistress at Fort Wrangle, Alaska.
"Medford Squibs," Democratic Times, Jacksonville, February 24, 1898, page 3

    Elliott Earhart has succeeded Joe Owens in the management of the Gold Hill hotel.
"Medford Squibs," Democratic Times, Jacksonville, October 31, 1898, page 3

    Jas. T. Jones, a pioneer of southern Oregon, has been visiting his daughter, Mrs. Earhart of Gold Hill. He left for Siskiyou County, Calif. last Friday.

"Local Notes," Democratic Times, Jacksonville, June 22, 1899, page 3

    Frank Stephenson, a young man residing on the Earhart farm in Medford precinct, died suddenly on the morning of the 24th, as he was in the act of rising from hi bed. Apoplexy is supposed to be the cause of his death.

"Local Notes," Democratic Times, Jacksonville, July 24, 1899, page 3

    Arthur Earhart recently arrived from Pennsylvania, and will make this county his future home, living with his mother, Mrs. Stevenson, of Medford.

"Local Notes," Democratic Times, Jacksonville, September 28, 1899, page 3

Pooh Bah precinct, Medford, Oregon

Etta Stevenson, 44, born Mar. 1856, landlady, widow, married 8 years
Arthur Earhart, 25, born Apr. 1875, farmer, divorced
June E. Earhart, 20, born June 1879
William C. Earhart, 18, born Mar. 1882

Frank L. Earhart, 16, born Jan. 1884

Elizabeth Earhart, 14, born May 1886

Daniel D. Earhart, 9, born Nov. 1890

Mary T. Earhart, 5, born Sept. 1894
U.S. Census, enumerated June 13, 1900

    Miss Mae Earhart, of Ft. Wrangel, Alaska, arrived in Medford last week for a few days' visit with her mother, Mrs. Etta Stevenson. Miss Earhart has been in Alaska for several years and has been very successful. She is postmaster at Ft. Wrangel.
"Purely Personal," Medford Mail, January 18, 1901, page 6

    A delightful afternoon party, in honor of Miss Mae Earhart, was given by Miss Fannie Haskins, at the home of her parents in this city, last Saturday afternoon. The handsome double parlors were adorned with graceful sprays of English ivy, artistically arranged with choice potted plants. The afternoon was pleasantly occupied in various amusements, music, instrumental and vocal, and social chat. The guest of honor, Miss Earhart, exhibited an album of Alaskan scenes, where she has been residing for several years, which proved a rare treat and elicited much admiration. An elaborate but dainty spread was one of the features of the party. The dining room had been artistically decorated for the occasion with evergreens and flowers, which produced a very pretty effect. The elegantly appointed table was further embellished with a pretty bunch of holly at each cover and a centerpiece of growing maidenhair ferns. Those present were Misses Myrtle Lawton, Mae Phipps, Grace Foster, Aileen Webber, Pearl Webb, Virgie Woodford, Jessie Worman, Mae Earhart and Mesdames Bessie Plymale and Etta Bates.

    A suit for damages in the sum of $150, wherein Henry Earhart of Medford was plaintiff and Dr. J. W. Odgers, the dentist, was defendant, was tried before a jury in Justice Stewart's court on Wednesday and Thursday of last week, which resulted in a verdict for the defendant. The suit grew out of the dissatisfaction of the plaintiff with a set of false teeth which the defendant had made for him. He set out in his complaint that the teeth were so large and clumsy that it was impossible for him to wear them. The defense proved that the instructions given the plaintiff at the time the teeth were delivered had been ignored; that the plaintiff had not attempted to wear them for more than 15 minutes at any one time, and that it required several days at least before one could reasonably expect to use false teeth with any degree of comfort. Attorney C.P .Snell appeared for the defendant, and attorney S. S. Pentz for plaintiff.
"City Happenings," Medford Mail, January 25, 1901, page 7

    Henry Earhart sued Dr. Odgers, the dentist, for $150 damages, on account of a set of false teeth; but the jury empaneled in Justice Stewart's court couldn't be convinced that there was any merit in his case, so it found a verdict for the defendant.

    Miss Mae Earhart, postmistress of Fort Wrangel, Alaska, who is paying her old home a short visit, and a number of her friends were delightfully entertained one recent afternoon by Miss Fannie Haskins. Those present were Misses Jessie Worman, Aileen Webber, Mae Phipps, Myrtle Lawton, Pearl Webb, Grace Foster, Virgie Woodford, Mesdames Etta Bates and Bessie Plymale.

"Medford Squibs," Democratic Times, Jacksonville, January 31, 1901, page 5

    Miss Mae Earhart, of Ft. Wrangle, who has been visiting her mother, Mrs. Ella Stevenson, for a couple of weeks, left for her home Saturday evening to resume her position as postmistress at that place.

"Purely Personal,"
Medford Mail, February 1, 1901, page 6

    Arthur Earhart was in receipt this week of a couple of curios from his sister, Miss May Earhart, who is postmaster at Ft. Wrangle, Alaska. The curios are a pair of boat oars or paddles, hand carved and hand painted, in gorgeous colors, by the Alaskan Indians. They are indeed novelties in their way and are treasured very highly by the recipient.
Medford Mail, March 1, 1901, page 7

    In the matter of the motion to set aside the judgment rendered on the verdict in favor of the defendant, in the case of Henry Earhart vs. J. W. Odgers, in a suit to recover money and for damages, Justice Stewart last week rendered a verdict in favor of Earhart in default of the appearance of defendant. The judgment was $20, the amount sued for, and for $50 damages.

"City Happenings," Medford Mail, May 24, 1901, page 7

    A decision in the case of Henry Earhart vs. Dr. J. W. Odgers, of which mention has been made in The Mail several times, was rendered by Judge Hanna last Thursday, setting aside the decision of Justice Stewart, granting judgment against Dr. Odgers, on a motion made by
attorney for Mr. Earhart to reconsider the previous judgment, which was rendered in favor of Dr. Odgers. The case was appealed to the circuit court on a writ of review, by Snell & Hartson, attorneys for Dr. Odgers, and the writ was granted on the ground that the justice exceeded his jurisdiction in setting aside the original judgment.
"City Happenings," Medford Mail, June 7, 1901, page 7

    Pasturage at the Earhart farm, half mile south of Medford.

"City Happenings," Medford Mail, July 5, 1901, page 7

    Attorney W. E. Phipps and Art Earhart left Wednesday morning for a two weeks' hunting and fishing trip to Crater Lake and Union Creek.
"Purely Personal," Medford Mail, August 9, 1901, page 6

Good Samaritan Hospital, Portland
    Miss June Earhart left Tuesday for Portland, where she will take a course of nurse training in the Good Samaritan Hospital.
"Purely Personal," Medford Mail, September 20, 1901, page 6

    Miss Mae Earhart, who has been postmaster at Ft. Wrangel, Alaska, for several years, returned to her home near Medford on Tuesday of this week. The young lady has resigned her position and will reside here with her mother.
"Purely Personal," Medford Mail, March 28, 1902, page 6

    Miss Mae Earhart, who has been efficiently filling the position of postmaster of Fort Wrangel, Alaska, has resigned the position and returned to her home near Medford.
"Medford Squibs," Democratic Times, Jacksonville, April 3, 1902, page 5

    Miss Mae Earhart returned to Medford from Fort Wrangel, Alaska, last week.
"Purely Personal," Medford Mail, April 25, 1902, page 6

    Good pasturage at Earhart's farm, half mile south of Medford.

"City Happenings," Medford Mail, July 18, 1902, page 7

    While Charles Hollingsworth was hauling hay from the Earhart place Thursday, the wagon and its load tipped over and the horses ran away. A young man named Carter, who was aboard at the time, narrowly escaped fatal consequences.

"Brief Mention," Democratic Times, Jacksonville,
July 31, 1902, page 7

    Arthur Earhart left Wednesday for Pittsburgh, Penn., where he expects to remain permanently.

"Purely Personal," Medford Mail, September 12, 1902, page 6

School Opens.
    The Medford High School opened Monday with a good attendance, 400 pupils being enrolled. The assignment of teachers is as follows: Prof. N. L. Narregan, principal; Gertrude Sutton, vice-principal; May Phipps, 7th grade; Mae Earhart, 6th; Minnie Hockenyos, 5th; Lizzie Ferguson, 4th; Anna Jeffries, 3rd; Grace Garrett, 2nd; Gertrude Wilson and Fannie Haskins, primary.
Medford Mail, September 19, 1902, page 2

Trespass Notice.
    Notice is hereby given that all persons are strictly forbidden from entering or in any manner trespassing upon the premises of the undersigned. All trespassers will be punished in the manner provided for in Section 1794 of the Criminal Code of Oregon.
Medford Mail, September 19, 1902, page 6

    Miss June Earhart, who has been home from Portland for a couple of weeks, will return to Portland Saturday to resume her training for a nurse in St. Vincent's Hospital.

"Purely Personal," Medford Mail, October 3, 1902, page 6

    Miss June Earhart returned to Portland last week after a few days' visit with relatives and friends hereabouts. Miss Earhart is taking a course of training as nurse in St. Vincent's Hospital, and next year she will graduate therefrom.
"Purely Personal," Medford Mail, June 26, 1903, page 6

    Miss June Earhart returned Sunday from Portland. Miss Earhart has completed her course of study as trained nurse in St. Vincent's Hospital and in May she will return to graduate with her class. She has been a student at this hospital for two and a half years.
"Purely Personal,"
Medford Mail, April 8, 1904, page 4

    Miss June Earhart, of Medford, was a member of the graduating class of trained nurses at St. Vincent's Hospital at Portland last week.
Medford Mail, June 24, 1904

    Art Earhart is laid up with a lame foot. Some four or five weeks ago he stepped onto a nail, running it into his foot to quite a depth. He was laid up then for a few days only, but the soreness came on again this week, and he is retired once more from active service.
"City Happenings," Medford Mail, November 4, 1904, page 5

    Arthur Earhart and Miss Kittie M. Blass surprised some of their many friends Saturday by taking a quiet trip to Jacksonville, where Judge G. W. Dunn united them in marriage. Both young people are well known and deservedly popular in this city. The groom is a steady, reliable, energetic young man and his bride is a very amiable and handsome young lady. The Mail extends congratulations and best wishes.
    The young couple have commenced housekeeping in the Whitman cottage in South Medford.
Medford Mail, May 12, 1905, page 1

    A mile south of the town I stopped at the farm of the Earhart brothers. They are big, husky farmer boys, with as fine a farm as ever eye looked upon. Their winter wheat was already five or six inches high; their comfortable home bore every evidence of thrift. But what drew my attention was not the wheat, fine as it was. It was a grapevine, not a mite over six inches through, that covered the house, ran along from tree to tree in the yard, and must have been over l50 feet long. This mammoth vine is the only one they have, and its yearly yield is over 500 pounds of luscious grapes. Such is the wonderfully prolific nature of this soil and climate that I find it hard to grasp the wonders that I see in fruit, grain, vegetables and grass.

D. R. McGinnis, "How's This for a Balmy Climate?" Morning Oregonian, Portland, June 2, 1905, page 6

    Bess Earhart's greatness will never be exemplified in the simplicity and sweetness of home life. Through her literary talents she is able to admire and judge literature, but more than all she is a strong advocate of women’s rights. Some day she may wander back again to Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, where she first saw the light of day, May 23, 1886. For some reason unknown to her, her parents brought her to Medford when she was one year old. They settled on a farm south of Medford where they have lived ever since. A few years elapsed and Bess was started to the Medford school at the age of seven, and where she has gone to the present time. She taught a three month’s term of school at North Phoenix in the spring of 1903, and then the next fall came back to the high school. A business education is sought by her and she will probably attend Heald’s Business College.
May Hewes, Medford High Class of 1905 Class History

    Miss May Earhart returned this week from San Francisco. She was there during the recent disturbance, but escaped injury.
"Purely Personal," Medford Mail, April 27, 1906, page 4

    Art Earhart has sold his place, just south of the Earhart home, to Mrs. Rachel Hill, of Arizona. There are five acres of land in the tract, and the price paid was $2000, and the deal was made by J. C. Brown.
"City Happenings," Medford Mail, March 20, 1908, page 5

    UNIVERSITY OF OREGON, Eugene, Or., Oct. 5.--(Special.)--In the special meeting of the student body this morning, President Campbell announced the names of the four students suspended for one year and explained the attitude of the university toward hazing.
*    *    *
    The students suspended one year for hazing are: Abe Blackman and Austin Flegel, of Portland; Samuel Earhart, of Medford, and Charles Widlund, of Healdsburg, Cal. The 32 other men implicated in the hazing were given the alternative of one term suspension, or the handing in of written oaths with their own and parents' signatures that they would in the future support the policy of the university faculty.
    Following are the names: Calvin Welch, Elmer Furuset, Rex Turner, La Verne Van Marter, E. L. Elliott, John Shattuck, Charles Randall, E. J. Smith, Allyn Roberts, John Shantin, Robert Alton, Fred Strang, Ralph Moore, Carl Huston, Chester A. Moore, E. C. LaTourette, Ralph Newland, Charles Olsen, Leigh Huggins, E. D. Flynn, F. E. Myers, F. C. Sterns, W. L. Rinehart, M. W. Hawkins, Homer Jamison, Walter Fisher, Earl Kidder, C. B. Baer, E. C. Benson, C. F. Carter and J. M. Moore.
"Varsity Aims High," Morning Oregonian, Portland, October 6, 1909, page 7

Medford-Ashland Road, Medford, Oregon

Etta Stevenson, 50, farm operator, born in Penn., parents born in Penn.

June Earhart, 30, trained nurse,
born in Penn., parents born in Penn.
Clara M. Earhart, 35, law office bookkeeper,
born in Penn., parents born in Penn.
William Earhart, 26, farm laborer,
born in Penn., parents born in Penn.
Frank L. Earhart, 24, farm laborer,
born in Penn., parents born in Penn.
Elizabeth Earhart, 22, high school teacher,
born in Penn., parents born in Penn.
Samuel D. Earhart, 19,
born in Oregon, parents born in Penn.
Mary F. Stevenson, 15, born in Oregon, parents born in Penn.
U.S. Census, enumerated May 16-18, 1910

    A most enjoyable dinner was given Saturday evening to the graduate nurses of this city by Mrs. Osborne and Miss Earhart at the pretty Osborne home, 512 South Oakdale. The dining room was tastefully decorated with masses of red geraniums and scarlet sage. Covers were laid for twelve. A large cut glass bowl filled with red geraniums was used as a centerpiece, while beautifully shaded red candles adorned each end of the table.
    During the evening a Jackson County Graduate Nurses' Club was organized with the following officers: President Mrs. O. E. Osborne; vice-president Miss Earhart; secretary Mrs. Coggins, R.N.; treasurer Miss Blood, R.N.
    The club planned to hold regular monthly meetings and hopes to be favored with lectures from the local medical fraternity and papers by the different nurses.
    The invited guests who enjoyed Mrs. Osborne's and Miss Earhart's hospitality were: Miss McCracken, R.N.; Miss Blood, R.N.: Miss Coggins, R.N.; Miss McDonough, Miss Ely, Miss Hisey, Miss Foot, Mis Roberts and Mrs. Hisey.
Medford Mail Tribune, September 25, 1910, page 9

    The Graduate Nurses' Association of Medford were entertained Tuesday evening in royal manner by Mrs. O. E. Osborne at her residence on South Oakdale Avenue.
    Dr. Pickel and Dr. Conroy read interesting papers in line with work of the trained nurse. Miss Julia [sic] Earhart told of the work at the noted St. Mary's Hospital at Rochester, Minnesota.
    The Medford nurses decided to establish a central nurses' directory, which will give physicians and the people generally an opportunity to get quick response when a nurse is needed.
Medford Sun, December 4, 1910, page 1    St. Mary's was the founding hospital of the Mayo Clinic, operated by William Worrall Mayo and sons.

    Miss June Earhart, a trained nurse, left the city Sunday night for Chicago, where she will complete her studies.
"Personal and Local," Medford Mail Tribune, February 27, 1911, page 5

    Dr. Wm. W. P. Holt, our local M.D., informs me that Mrs. Lee Bradshaw of Brownsboro has had to have a surgical operation performed, Dr. Holt doing the work assisted by two professional nurses; one of them was Miss Earhart and the other the doctor had forgotten her name, and reports that Mrs. Bradshaw is getting along nicely.
A. C. Howlett, "Eagle Point Eaglets," Medford Mail Tribune, February 17, 1912, page 6

    Fire at 1:30 o'clock this morning totally destroyed the home of L. M. Lines, the old Earhart home, on the Ashland road a mile south of Medford, and nearly cost the life of the well-known contractor. Asleep, he was awakened by the crackling of the flames in a room thick with smoke. He grabbed his trousers and groped his way with difficulty to the door, which he could not locate for some time. A minute after reaching the open air the entire building broke into a solid mass of flames. Mr. Lines told friends afterward that his escape was lucky, and that a minute more and he would have succumbed.
    The blaze was caused by a defective fireplace chimney, and the household effects and dwelling are a total loss, estimated at $3000, covered by $2000 insurance. Mr. Lines was alone when the fire started, his wife and daughter living in the city during the school week. The building had been built for many years, and was one of the valley landmarks. The barns and other buildings were not endangered.
    The flames at their height lighted up the southern horizon and was noticed by many citizens out late. Sergeant Pat Mego turned in an alarm from the Commercial Club fire box, but that bit of ingenious mechanism has been out of order, working spasmodically, so it was necessary to rouse the firemen by running to the fire hall and yelling. The fire box worked the same way when the alarm for the St. Mark's fire Sunday was turned in. At this time it was through the blaze was in the city limits.
    The fire auto sped to the scene and found the home a mass of cooling ashes, with the owner and a neighbor standing by the fence philosophically viewing the ruins.

Medford Mail Tribune, March 12, 1914, page 3

    The medical students at the University of Pennsylvania in Philadelphia from Oregon are Darrel Earhart, of Medford, and Dean Gilkey, of Eugene. Mr. Earhart received his preliminary training at the University of Washington, and Mr. Gilkey at the University of Oregon.

"Portland Musician Is Called to Larger Work," Sunday Oregonian, March 7, 1915, page 15
Base Hospital 46, Bazoilles-sur-Meuse, France, circa 1918
Base Hospital 46, Bazoilles-sur-Meuse, France, winter 1918-1919

Staff of Base Hospital 46, June 1919
Staff of Base Hospital 46, 1919. June Earhart should be in this group.

Base Hospital 46 operating rooms, June 1919
Base Hospital 46 operating rooms.

    "J. Earhart, Medford," is the way she signed the Imperial register. Then it leaked out later that Miss Earhart is one of the Oregon girls who have been serving overseas in the hospitals as a nurse, and she is slipping back home without ostentation.
"Those Who Come and Go," Morning Oregonian, Portland, May 1, 1919, page 10

Pacific Highway, Medford, Oregon

Etta Stevenson, 63, born in Penn., parents born in Penn.
W. C. Earhart, 38, fruit farmer,
born in Penn., parents born in Penn.
June Earhart, 36, nurse,
born in Penn., parents born in Penn.
F. L. Earhart, 34, farm laborer,
born in Penn., parents born in Penn.
U.S. Census, enumerated February 28, 1920

June Earhart's handsome new home on the Pacific Highway just beyond the southern limits of the city is now practically completed and represents an investment of about $10,000.
"Summer Building in City and Valley Now Under Way; Church, School and Business Buildings and New Homes Are Planned," Medford Mail Tribune, May 22, 1927, page 3

    Arthur K. Earhart died suddenly this morning at Eugene, Ore., of heart disease. Born April, 1875, in Pennsylvania, he leaves his wife and one daughter, Arlene; his mother, Etta Stevenson; sisters, Mrs. Fred Patching of Medford, Mrs. Fred Pierce, Los Angeles, June Earhart, Medford, Mary Stevenson, Eugene; also brothers W. C. Earhart and Frank L. Earhart, both of Medford, and Dr. Samuel Earhart of Philadelphia.
    Funeral notice later.
    Deceased formerly lived in Medford and in Rogue River.
Medford Mail Tribune, February 4, 1928, page 2

    The board of appraisers appointed by Mayor A. W. Pipes to appraise the property belonging to Miss June Earhart, through which the proposed southern extension of Central Avenue would pass, made their report to the mayor this morning. They appraised the property at $1100. Miss Earhart set the value of the property at $4000.
    Advised over the telephone this afternoon of the appraisal, Miss Earhart said:
    "I have nothing to say, and don't care what the appraisers say."
    The appraisal committee is composed of Joe Brown, B. E. Harder, and W. H. Gore, and their report in full is as follows:
    "We, your committee appointed to inspect the property, consider the conditions and report to you our findings relative to opening South Central Avenue through the Earhart property, report and recommend as follows:
    "Without entering into detail, it is our conclusion that the interests of the city as well as all individuals concerned will be promoted and conserved through acceptance by the city of the proposition of Miss June Earhart with the single modification that the cash payment to Miss Earhart be reduced from $4000 to $1500."
    The next step, if the issue is not compromised, would be to institute condemnation proceedings, which would necessitate a jury trial and a court hearing.
    The next move rests with the Central Avenue extension committee.
Medford Mail Tribune, August 15, 1929, page 2

Frank Earhart Property on South Riverside Purchased--
Building May Rise This Season--Will Include 97 Guest Rooms.
    Papers have been signed for the purchase of the Frank L. Earhart property, located at the corner of Earhart Street and South Riverside Avenue by the Motor Hotel system, it was announced this afternoon by Glenn B. Hite, general manager, who is in this city from Portland in interests of the company.
    The property, 280 feet by 326 feet, is considered an ideal location by the hotel officials, including H. R. Malott and J. Bruce Murray, also of Portland, who are in Medford. A system of these structures is planned for the Pacific Coast with temporary plans to locate in Eugene, Ore., and Chico, Calif.
    A definite date has not been set for starting construction work, but the impression was given that an attempt would be made to complete the hotel in time for the coming tourist season.
    All hotels of the system will be located on the Pacific Highway, and will have a 70-car garage, coffee shop, beauty  parlor and barber shop. There will be 97 guest rooms, all having a shower or bath. Standard prices for all rooms is one of the plans, with a small garage fee.
    The hotel will be a frame structure with stuccoed exterior and standard plaster and wallpaper-finished interior. Mr. Hite stated that he expected the entire system to be completed within a period of five years.
Medford Mail Tribune, February 10, 1931, page 1

Earhart, Eckert Wedding Is Told
    A wedding that really occurred in March but that had not been announced until a few days ago created quite a bit of surprise in this community.
    Mrs. Kathryn Earhart was married in Kelso, Washington to Mr. Eckert, a business man of Eugene March twenty-fourth, 1931. Mrs. Eckert was a resident of Evans Creek Valley for about fifteen years, she and her former husband, Mr. A. K. Earhart, having built up a splendid ranch home and pear orchard two and one half miles from Rogue River.
    In 1926 when their only daughter, Arlene, graduated from the Rogue River High School they moved to Eugene, where Arlene entered the state university,
    Shortly after moving to Eugene the little family lost their much-loved husband and father, but Mrs. Earhart remained there to see her daughter, Arlene, graduating with honors from the university and elected to a high school position in North Dakota, where she taught the school year with marked success. She was invited to teach in Rogue River High School during the coming year, which will open in a few weeks.
    Miss Arlene has spent the summer doing special commercial work in Portland but will be in Rogue River in time to spend some time upon the ranch before beginning her teaching duties in September. Mrs. Eckert expects to reside in Eugene except for occasional trips to Evans Valley to look after her property here.
    Mrs. Earhart was president of the Civic Improvement Club of Rogue River and later president of the S. O. Federation of Women's Clubs and has many friends in Wimer, Rogue River and Medford who extend good wishes to both Mr. Eckert and herself.
Medford Mail Tribune, August 16, 1931, page 3

    Etta Earhart Stevenson passed away very quietly at the Earhart farm house, where she had lived continuously for the past 48 years, on the Pacific Highway, South, Friday afternoon, May 4, 1934, after an illness of the past four months from cerebral hemorrhage. Mrs. Stevenson was born in Indiana County, Pennsylvania, March 29, 1858, and aged 78 years, 1 month and 5 days. She was a member of Chrysanthemum Circle of Woodcraft of Medford, Ore., and also a lifetime member of the Presbyterian Church. A fine Christian pioneer woman, and was beloved by a circle of friends. She leaves seven children: Three sons and four daughters--William C. Earhart, Frank L. Earhart of Medford; Dr. Samuel D. Earhart of Philadelphia, Pa.; Mrs. Eva May Patching of Glendale, Cal.; Mrs. Elizabeth Pierce of Los Angeles, Cal.; Miss June Earhart of Medford, Ore.; Miss Mary Stevenson of Medford, Ore., and four grandchildren. She was always interested in the growth of Medford and has seen it develop for almost 50 years.
    Funeral services will be conducted from the Perl Funeral Home Sunday (today) at 3:15 p.m., Rev. L. F. Belknap officiating. Interment will take place in the Medford I.O.O.F. Cemetery.
Medford Mail Tribune, May 6, 1934, page 7

Notice Sneak Thief.
    If the sneak thief, coyote, that is stealing my dry pole wood after it has been cut and piled on the Earhart creek bottom, will make his wife carry it over to my place at 928 So. Central, I have a buzz saw and will cut it for her FREE, as it is no job for a woman or a lazy bum to cut and take out dry willow, and say, Mr. Thief, if you never tried it, just ask your wife. I bet she can tell you all about it. Hoping for a warm winter, so your wife and I won't have to take out too much wood.
    I am for honesty.
Medford, Nov. 19.
"Communication," Medford Mail Tribune, November 19, 1934, page 3

    Miss June Earhart, anesthetist and member of a pioneer family of this city and county, is related to Amelia Earhart Putnam, famed aviatrix officially recorded as lost in the South Seas, the local woman revealed today.
    Miss June Earhart's father and Amelia Earhart's grandfather were brothers. The former does not know what the relationship is. The two women never met.
Medford Mail Tribune, July 20, 1937, page 1  Both Earhart boys were born 13 years apart in Indiana, Pennsylvania. Looks like it's true.

June Earhart

    June Earhart of 943 South Riverside Avenue, well-known local anaesthetist, was taken to Sacred Heart Hospital this morning suffering from a paralytic stroke. Dr. L. D. Inskeep, attending physician, stated she was totally unconscious and in a grave condition.
    Miss Earhart was discovered about eight o'clock this morning by her maid, who immediately telephoned the physician. Miss Earhart was removed to the hospital by the Perl ambulance.
    Dr. Inskeep warned that, because of her serious condition, no visitors would be allowed to see her.
Medford Mail Tribune, October 20, 1937, page 1

    No change in the condition of June Earhart, Medford anesthetist stricken with a paralytic stroke yesterday morning, was reported by Dr. L. D. Inskeep today.
    "She is still unconscious and her condition very grave," [the] attending physician stated.
    Miss Earhart, who has many friends in the county, is at Sacred Heart Hospital. Because of her serious condition, visitors are not allowed to see her.
Medford Mail Tribune, October 21, 1937, page 5

    June Earhart, well-known Medford nurse, who suffered a stroke Tuesday evening, was still unconscious at the Sacred Heart Hospital late yesterday. Her condition is extremely grave, according to Dr. L. D. Inskeep.
    Miss Earhart, who served in the world war as a nurse, has hundreds of friends who were shocked to hear of her illness.
    Apparently Miss Earhart was stricken just as she was going to bed, as her bed had not been slept in, and she was found the next morning by her maid. Her alarm clock was smashed, having stopped at 9 o'clock.
Medford News, October 22, 1937, page B1

Earhart Condition Remains Unchanged
    The condition of June Earhart, Medford anaesthetist, stricken with paralysis last Tuesday evening, was reported the same today by Dr. L. D. Inskeep, attending physician. She is critically ill.
    She was still unconscious, the physician stated, and has not regained consciousness since the stroke five days ago. She is confined in Sacred Heart Hospital, and because of her condition can receive no visitors.
Medford Mail Tribune, October 25, 1937

    June Earhart, Medford anaesthetist, died in a local hospital at 3 o'clock this afternoon. She was stricken with a paralytic stroke October 19 and never regained consciousness.
Medford Mail Tribune, October 29, 1937, page 1

    Funeral services for June Etta Earhart, 58, who died in a local hospital Friday afternoon at 3:00 o'clock, will be held from the Perl funeral home Tuesday at 1:30 p.m., Father Francis W. Black officiating. Burial will take place in the family block at Medford I.O.O.F. cemetery.
    Active pallbearers for the extremely well-liked Medford woman will be Drs. L. D. Inskeep, W. G. Bishop, Walter Kresse, C. I. Drummond, Charles W. Lemery and B. L. Lageson. All other doctors present, with whom Miss Earhart worked for many years, will act as honorary pallbearers.
    June Earhart, an anaesthetist in Medford for years, died after suffering a paralytic stroke caused by a cerebral hemorrhage the night of October 19. She never regained consciousness, being in a coma for 11 days, and all attempts to save her life proved futile. Dr. L. D. Inskeep, her attending physician, said her right side was paralyzed for nine days. Two days before her death she lost control of her entire body, he stated.
    June Earhart was born in Blairsville, Pa., June 3, 1879. With her family she moved to Medford in 1886. She was educated in local schools and was graduated from Medford High School. In 1901, she entered St. Vincent's Hospital training school for nurses in Portland and was graduated in 1904. She returned to Medford and, when there were no hospitals and few nurses here, practiced her profession as a graduate nurse.
    In 1910 she went to Chicago and took a special course in anaesthesia at the Presbyterian Hospital for a period of six months under Dr. Isabel Herb, nationally known anaesthetist. Following this she gave up general nursing and continued her service as an anaesthetist.
    March 15, 1918, Miss Earhart was assigned to active service in the United States Army in Base Hospital 46, a unit which was assembled at Portland and consisted of physicians and nurses from Portland and the state of Oregon. She sailed for France July 16, 1918 and was placed in active duty; she left France April 18, 1919 and was released from active service June 4, 1919.
    She was a member of the Oregon State Nurses' Association, district 4, a member of the American Nurses' Association and charter member of Medford Post 15, American Legion, department of Oregon.
    She leaves three sisters, Mrs. May Patching of Glendale, Cal., Mrs. Elizabeth Pierce of Los Angeles, Cal., Miss [sic] Mary F. Stevenson of Wilhelmina, Ore., and three brothers, William C. and Frank L. Earhart of Medford and Dr. S. D. Earhart of Klamath Falls.
    Probably no other one in the community was more universally known or will be more kindly remembered than June Earhart. She was charitable without show or ostentation; she had a happy, cheerful, congenial nature which endeared her to all. The good that she has done for others will live and be long remembered. She was beloved by a host of genuine friends, who are deeply grieved.
Medford Mail Tribune, October 31, 1937, page 12

Final Services Held for June Earhart
    Funeral services for June Etta Earhart, 58, who died in a local hospital Friday afternoon at 3:00 o'clock were held from the Perl funeral home Tuesday at 1:30 p.m., Father Francis W. Black officiating. Burial took place in the family block at Medford I.O.O.F. cemetery.
    Probably no other one in the community was more universally known or will be more kindly remembered than June Earhart. She was charitable without show or ostentation; she had a happy, cheerful, congenial nature which endeared her to all. The good that she has done for others will live and be long remembered. She was beloved by a host of genuine friends, who are deeply grieved.
Central Point American, November 4, 1937, page 1

Lilacs Collected by War Nurse To Bloom for Soldier Patients
on Camp White Hospital Grounds
    When lilac blooming time comes to southern Oregon this spring, and succeeding springs, the sick and wounded at the Camp White hospital will enjoy the results of the hobby of a Medford nurse, now dead, for planted under the windows of the hospital are some 150 lilac bushes from the collection of June Earhart. The lilacs were given to the hospital by members of the Medford Garden Club as a memorial honoring Miss Earhart, and probably no more fitting memorial could have been devised, for Miss Earhart was an army nurse in the First World War and learned to love lilacs from seeing them bloom in France.
    June Earhart was no ordinary woman or nurse. At her death in 1937 she was one of the best-known and the best-loved woman in Medford. Hundreds remembered her care of the sick, her sunny, cheerful disposition and her many acts of charity accomplished without show or recognition.
Grew Up Here
    June Earhart came to Medford in 1886 with her family and as a girl attended the local schools. Upon her graduation from the Medford High School she entered St. Vincent's hospital in Portland and was graduated from the training school for nurses in 1904. Returning to Medford, a town then with no hospitals and few nurses, she entered upon a life of usefulness equalled by few women since.
    In 1910 Miss Earhart went to Chicago for a special course in anaesthesia at the Presbyterian Hospital, studying under the famous Dr. Isabel Herb. Following this she gave up general nursing and worked as an anaesthetist with many of Medford's pioneer doctors.
    When the First World War was raging Miss Earhart became an army nurse, joining unit 46, assembled at Portland and made up of Oregon physicians and nurses. She sailed for France in July of 1918 and remained in that country until April of the following year. Upon her release from active service June of 1919 she returned to Medford.
Loved Flowers
    Miss Earhart had always been a flower lover, and upon her return to Medford she took up gardening as a hobby. She was encouraged and aided in this by Mrs. J. F. Reddy, a friend, who was one of this city's pioneer and most ardent gardeners. Mrs. Reddy was especially interested in roses and lilacs and imported many of her plants from France, France having at that time one of the world's most famous lilac hybridists.
    The nurse bought a site on the highway south of Medford for a home and even before building had started her collection of lilacs. The large grey house with its surrounding lilac garden in time became one of the most interesting spots in the town.
150 Varieties Grown
    When death ended Miss Earhart's life of devotion to helping those in need, her garden had more than 150 varieties of the world's choicest lilacs.
    In the fall of 1941 it was announced in Medford that Miss Earhart's home had been sold and that the lilacs were to be taken out to make room for a commercial establishment. Garden lovers, among them Mrs. L. C. Gentner and Mrs. R. T. Nichols of the Medford Garden Club, wished that the lilacs could be saved in some way, and the two women gained permission from the new owners of the land to remove the bushes.
    Hurriedly summoned one day with the word that the bushes must be taken out at once, Mrs. Gentner and Mr. and Mrs. Nichols worked many hours on the Tuesday and Wednesday preceding Thanksgiving of 1941 to transplant the garden, the two women forgetting about Thanksgiving dinner preparations in their efforts to save as many as possible of the beautiful lilacs. The bushes were heeled in at the Nichols home, and the two women began planning for a suitable place to permanently place the collection as a memorial for the beloved nurse and gardener.
Offered to Camp
    When construction of Camp White was started it was decided that no more appropriate or fitting location could be found for the lilacs than the grounds of the camp hospital, since Miss Earhart had spent the greatest part of life in caring for the sick.
    Accordingly the offer was made to Camp White officials and gratefully accepted. Last November the carefully tended plants, some of which had bloomed at the Nichols home in the interval, were taken to the camp and turned over to Lt. Col. John W. Shuman, who with a squad of eight men replanted them under the windows of the large hospital building.
    And so, because a nurse learned during one war to love the beautiful lilacs which bloomed in France, soldiers serving their country in another war will have their lives gladdened each spring when Nurse Earhart's lilacs bloom again.
Medford Mail Tribune, January 20, 1943, page 4

Original Lilacs Still Remain on Earhart Ground
    It was pointed out today by Mrs. C. R. Lindley, who with Mr. Lindley operates an auto court on the site of the Earhart property on South Riverside Street, that none of the original lilacs had been taken from the property for transplanting at Camp White hospital, but that only divisions of the plants had been taken to the camp.
    Mrs. Lindley stated that all of the original plants had been kept on the grounds, although some had been transplanted to provide room for driveways and roads.
    A recent Mail Tribune story told of the planting of some of the lilacs at Camp White.
Mail Tribune, January 22, 1943, page 10

Flowers and Bench to Be Dedicated
As Memorial to Early Medford Nurse
    A memorial to the late June Earhart, Medford nurse and flower lover and at one time one of the best-known women in the city, will be dedicated in the new city park Friday, July 22 at 4 p.m. Miss Earhart is remembered by hundreds of valley residents, not only for her service in this community and in the army during World War I, but for her love of lilacs, of which she had an extensive collection at the time of her death in 1937. The granite memorial bench in the park will be surrounded by lilacs grown from slips taken from Miss Earhart's collection.
    Dedication of the bench will be the realization of a dream long held by friends of the beloved nurse, and five Medford groups who have cooperated in the memorial project have their names carved on it. These are the Jackson County Medical Association, Unit Four of Oregon Nurses' Association, American Legion Post No. 15, the auxiliary to the post and the Medford Garden Club.
    The inscription on the front edge of the bench reads, "Lilacs planted in memory of June Earhart, nurse in World War I."
    The lilac bushes and bench are at the east side of the new park.
    Friday's dedication program will be opened by Mrs. A. C. Leighton, president of the Garden Club, with invocation by the Rev. Neville Blunt of St. Mark's Episcopal Church, and Mrs. Leighton will tell the story of the lilacs.
    Mayor Diamond Flynn will be introduced and the bench will then be unveiled by Sister Norbert of Sacred Heart Hospital and Miss Mabel Coffeen of Community Hospital. Also introduced will be Mrs. Mabel Demo, president of district four of the nurses' association, Harry Goold, president of the American Legion post, Mrs. Clark Walker, president of the American Legion auxiliary, and Dr. O. J. Halboth, president of the medical association, who will in turn introduce the main speaker, Dr. James C. Hayes, well-known Medford physician.
To Accept Bench
    Mayor Diamond Flynn and Harold Frye, city councilman and chairman of the park committee, will accept the memorial bench on behalf of the city.
    Miss Earhart's family came to Medford in 1886 and June attended local schools. After graduating from Medford High School she entered St. Vincent's Hospital in Portland and was graduated from the training school in 1904. Returning to Medford, a town then with no hospital and few nurses, she entered upon the life of service to the community and her country, which made her name known throughout the county. In 1910 she took special training in anaesthesia in Chicago, and returned to Medford to work as an anaesthetist with many of Medford's early doctors.
    During the First World War Miss Earhart joined army unit 46 of nurses and doctors from this state and sailed for France in July 1918, remaining until April of the following year. Coming here after her war service she took up gardening as a hobby and, purchasing a tract on the South Pacific Highway, had a large grey house erected and began to collect her favorite flower, lilacs, which she had come to love while in France. In time the house and lilac garden, which eventually grew to more than 150 varieties, was one of the show spots of the valley.
Part Sold
    In the fall of 1941, a few years after the death of the nurse, it was announced that part of the Earhart garden tract had been sold and that the lilacs were to be removed to make room for a commercial establishment. Miss Earhart's friends and garden lovers of the city wished that the lilacs could be saved in some way, and Mrs. R. T. Nichol and Mrs. L. G. Gentner obtained permission from the new owners of the property to take slips from the bushes.
    The new plants were cared for in the Nichols' garden, and those interested in the growing idea for a suitable memorial for the nurse eventually hit upon the scheme of planting the lilacs around the Camp White hospital. This was done with the cooperation of army doctors, and while the hospital was in operation more than 100 plants flourished. Even after the institution was closed, and the grounds uncared for, some of the plants continued to live, and this spring a few of the memorial lilacs bloomed. The bushes are now being cared for again, since the Veterans' Administration has taken over the building, and the hope that Miss Earhart's lilacs would bring joy to the sick and injured former soldiers is being realized.
    Four of Miss Earhart's brothers and sisters will attend the dedication ceremony. They are William and Lyle and Miss Mary Earhart, now living at the family home on South Pacific Highway, and Dr. Daraugh Earhart, formerly of Klamath Falls, who recently established a home and office in Medford at 1100 West Main Street. Another sister, Mrs. Elizabeth Pierce of Los Angeles, will be unable to attend.
    The committee in charge states that the memorial bench was obtained from the Oregon Granite Company here, and the firm was praised for its cooperation in making the bench in compliance with the committee's wishes.
Medford Mail Tribune, July 19, 1949, page 5

Memorial Bench Presented to City in Park Ceremonies
Friday; Nurse Honored
    An inscribed granite bench commemorating Miss June Earhart, World War I nurse who died in 1937, was given to the city in ceremonies Friday afternoon at the new city park [Hawthorne]. Mayor Diamond Flynn accepted the bench from five Medford groups which cooperated in the memorial project. They were the Jackson County Medical Association, Unit No. 4 of Oregon Nurses Association, American Legion Post No. 15 and auxiliary and the Medford Garden Club.
    The bench is placed on the east side of the park with a background of lilacs grown from slips from Miss Earhart's own collection. It is inscribed "Lilacs Planted in Memory of June Earhart, Nurse in World War I."
History Told
    Mrs. A. C. Leighton, garden club president, opened the ceremonies, followed by the invocation by the Rev. Neville Blunt of St. Mark's Episcopal Church. Mrs. Leighton also told the history of the lilacs. Sister Norbert of Sacred Heart Hospital and Miss Mabel Coffeen of Community Hospital were assisted by the Boy Scouts in unveiling the memorial. Mayor Flynn introduced Mrs. Mabel Demo, president of district four of the nurses' association; Harry Goold, Legion commander; Mrs. Clark Walker, head of the auxiliary, and Dr. L. D. Inskeep, who introduced the main speaker, Dr. James C. Hayes.
    Dr. Hayes described "Junie" Earhart as a "great, great lady who had a heart made out of pure gold." He cited her education in Medford and later at St. Vincent's Hospital, Portland. She was one of the city's first nurses and probably its first anaesthetist.
    Councilman Harold Frye of the parks and playgrounds committee spoke briefly for the city council.
    Besides relatives of the pioneer nurse, many of her old friends were present at the dedication.
Medford Mail Tribune, July 24, 1949, page 6

Dedication of the June Earhart bench, Hawthorne Park, July 24, 1949 Medford Mail Tribune.
Dedication of the June Earhart bench, Hawthorne Park, July 24, 1949 Medford Mail Tribune.

    Honoring the late June Earhart, who was almost as famous for her lilacs as her unparalleled service as a nurse in this community, a granite bench to be surrounded by her favorite flowers was dedicated in Medford's new city park on Bear Creek Friday afternoon. The inscription on the bench reads: "Lilacs planted in memory of June Earhart, nurse in World War I."
    The memorial was placed by five Medford groups, whose names also appear on the bench. They are Jackson County Medical Association, Unit Four of Oregon Nurses' Association, American Legion Post No. 15, auxiliary to the post and the Medford Garden Club.
    The lilacs which will surround the bench are to be grown from slips taken from Miss Earhart's collection, south of Medford, where she made her home [at 941 S. Riverside] until her death in 1937.
    It was in France, while serving in World War I with unit 46 of nurses and doctors of Oregon, that Miss Earhart developed her great love of lilacs. Returning to Medford after completion of her war service, she purchased a tract of land on South Pacific Highway and began the collection of lilacs. It grew to include 150 varieties, and her home became one of the showplaces of the valley.
The Lodge Motel, 945 S. Riverside
The Lodge Motel, 945 S. Riverside
    Following her death the property was developed into an auto court, but friends of the nurse obtained permission from the new owners to take slips from the unusual varieties. Mrs. R. T. Nichols and Mrs. L. G. Gentner of the Medford Garden Club cared for the plants. When Camp White hospital was established, more than 100 plants were moved to those grounds. Now they are being cared for there to again bring pleasure to the veterans located in the new domiciliary.
    Miss Earhart was educated in the Medford schools, and at St. Vincent's hospital in Portland, where she graduated from the training school in 1904. In 1910 she took special training in anesthesia in Chicago and returned to Medford as an anesthetist, working with many of Jackson County's early doctors.
    The memorial service Friday afternoon was opened by Mrs. A. C. Leighton, president of the Medford Garden Club. The main address was given by Dr. James C. Hayes, well-known, recently retired, Medford physician.
    Others participating were Rev. Neville Blunt of St. Mark's Episcopal Church; Mayor Diamond Flynn; Sister Mary Norbert of Sacred Heart Hospital; Miss Mabel Coffeen, Community Hospital; Mrs. Mabel Demo, president of the nurses' association; Harry Goold, president of the American Legion post; Mrs. Clark Walker, president of the Legion auxiliary; Dr. O. J. Halboth, president of the medical association; and Harold Frye, chairman of the city council park committee.
    Special guests were four of Miss Earhart's brothers and sisters: Lyle, Wm. and Mary Earhart of So. Pacific Highway and Dr. Daraugh Earhart, who recently moved here from Klamath Falls to establish his home and office on West Main Street.
Medford News, July 29, 1949, page 1

Two June Earharts, October 15, 1950 Medford Mail Tribune
Namesake Nurse Takes Up Career in Hospital Here
    To many in Medford the name of June Earhart has a special meaning, and it is of more than usual interest that a second June Earhart recently became a part of the city's life.
    The first June Earhart was a nurse who, as the years went by, endeared herself to hundreds in the valley. The second June Earhart is also a nurse, and last week she took up her duties as a nurse at Sacred Heart Hospital, where the memory of her aunt still lingers.
    Miss Earhart is a daughter of Dr. and Mrs. S. D. Earhart of 11 Peach Street, and she was graduated from the University of Pennsylvania school of nursing in June of this year, taking a bachelor of science degree. She was on the staff of the same hospital for a brief time, and then decided to return to the West Coast to be with her parents and carry on her work in the same city and in the same hospitals where her aunt was so well known.
    Miss Earhart's aunt took her training at the University of Oregon. [This apparently is incorrect.] The Earhart family had come to Medford in 1886 from Pennsylvania, and the first June Earhart [returned] to Medford when she had completed her early training. Later she trained and nursed at the famous Mayo Clinic in Minnesota and at the University of Chicago's school of nursing.
    When she returned to Medford for the second time it was as a highly trained anaesthetist, and she worked with all the valley doctors at one time or another. However, she was more than just a nurse--she was a humanitarian, and before long her friends and neighbors began to hear of her kind deeds. It was said that she many times worked without pay for those who could not afford her fee, that she provided food for the hungry and even paid rent and taxes on homes which might have been lost to families otherwise.
    In time the first Nurse June Earhart built a home on South Riverside, now the site of the Lodge Motel, and because she loved lilacs she filled the garden and grounds with dozens of lilac bushes of all varieties. Nurse Earhart died in October of 1937, but her memory is kept fresh not only by those she helped but by lilac bushes, started as slips from the original garden and now planted at Camp White and in Hawthorne Park, where a memorial in her honor was erected by Medford Garden Club last year.
    William and Frank Earhart, brothers of the first Nurse Earhart and uncles of her namesake, still live on the family property on South Riverside and another aunt, Mrs. Elizabeth Pierce of Los Angeles, is arriving this weekend to visit her niece and brothers.
Medford Mail Tribune, October 15, 1950, page 6

    To Demolish Building--Ray Robey received a permit from the city building department Thursday to demolish a two-story frame building at 924 South Riverside Ave.
"Locals," Medford Mail Tribune, November 6, 1959, page 11

Army Nurse Expected from Denver Tuesday
    Lt. June Earhart of the army nurse corps is expected to arrive Tuesday from Denver, Colo., where she has been assigned to Fitzsimmons Army Hospital. She will spend the next several weeks at the home of her parents, Dr. and Mrs. Samuel D. Earhart, 11 North Peach Street.
    Lt. Earhart, who entered the army nurse corps only a short time ago, suffered a broken back recently when she was thrown from a horse. She is now able to be up with the aid of a cast.
Undated Medford Mail Tribune clippings, SOHS MS106, volume 2

Dr. Earhart Takes Vancouver Position
    Dr. Samuel D. Earhart left the Veterans Administration Domiciliary at Camp White last week to assume duties at the VA hospital at Vancouver. He will take over the post held by Dr. George H. Adler, who died recently following heart surgery.
    Both Dr. Earhart and Dr. Adler practiced in Klamath Falls before becoming associated with the VA. At one time they were rivals for the office of coroner, which Dr. Adler held for many years, in addition to his position as physician and surgeon at the Klamath Indian reservation.
    Dr. Earhart developed his practice in the region before retiring to take over a post in the VA hospital at Memphis, Tenn. He came to Camp White in 1953.
    The two physicians had adjoining offices at Camp White before Dr. Adler transferred to Vancouver.
Medford Mail Tribune, March 24, 1960, page C3

    Another instance of undeveloped park potential, [Walter] Jones alleged, was "the absurd, unbelievable, impossible deal regarding the Earhart property on Bear Creek within the city."
    The Earhart family in 1941 deeded to the city, for use as a park site, land on Bear Creek. However, "a wise attorney inserted a reversion clause that if the site was not developed within 15 years, the land would revert back to Earhart ownership."
    "The only thing the city did during that time," Jones said, "was to mine gravel, sand and aggregate from the site."
    Subsequently, the speaker stated, ownership of that site went back into the Earhart family.
    "Within six months to a year, citizens decided another park was needed, for Library Park was the only developed site in the city," Jones explained. . . .
    In July 1962, the City of Medford purchased the Earhart property back, land that was given it in 1941, for ultimately in excess of $64,000, "and I have documents to verify my statements," he said.
"Jones Charges Lack of Follow-Through in Park Development," Medford Mail Tribune, February 8, 1966, page 3

Last revised January 30, 2024