Pioneers: Dr. Elijah Barton Pickel
Dr. Elijah Barton Pickel
Dr. Pickel of Tennessee has located in our city to practice.
"Medford Items," Oregonian, Portland, June 1, 1888, page 7
There are few who have any inclination for assuming the delicate and ofttimes unpleasant duties of coroner. Yet the office is of great importance and it is highly necessary that it be filled by a well-qualified physician. Such a man certainly is Dr. E. B. Pickel of Medford, whom the convention nominated for the place. He is an affable gentleman, and deservedly popular wherever known.
"Our County Ticket," Democratic Times, Jacksonville, May 9, 1890, page 2
Dr. E. B. Pickel of Medford made the Times office a pleasant visit last Monday. He is one of the best physicians in southern Oregon, and was the Democratic candidate for coroner at the last election. Although his opponent obtained nearly 400 majority in Ashland, he made such an excellent run elsewhere in the county that he almost overcame the great odds against him.
"Personal Mention," Democratic Times, Jacksonville, June 20, 1890, page 3
Talent's schools lose none of their excellence under the careful teaching of Miss Della Pickel as principal and Miss Cheney as assistant.
"Here and There," Democratic Times, Jacksonville, January 16, 1891, page 3
Dr. Pickel last week purchased the fine lots fronting on 7th bought not long since by L. Shideler, and the lots fronting on 6th Street found a purchaser in the person of G. H. Haskins.
"Medford Squibs," Democratic Times, Jacksonville, July 3, 1891, page 3
Miss Della Pickel's pupils tendered her a most pleasant surprise party at her home in this place one evening last week.
"Medford Squibs," Democratic Times, Jacksonville, April 22, 1892, page 3
Misses M. A. Theiss and Della J. Pickel last week departed for a few weeks' vacation, taking the train for Portland, going thence by steamer to the bay city, and home again after a trip through California..
"Medford Squibs," Democratic Times, Jacksonville, June 17, 1892, page 3
J. C. Barnard, of Rockwood, Tenn., an old friend of Dr. E. B. Pickel, passed north Monday on his way to Albany to locate.
"Local and General," Southern Oregon Mail, July 8, 1892, page 3
The Misses Theiss and Della Pickel last week returned from their tour to Portland and San Francisco.
"Medford Squibs," Democratic Times, Jacksonville, July 15, 1892, page 2
Dr. E. B. Pickel had the pleasure of meeting an old-time friend on the overland train one day recently, in the person of J. C. Barnard of Rockwood, Tenn.
"Medford Squibs," Democratic Times, Jacksonville, July 15, 1892, page 2
Dr. B. F. Adkins and family, Dr. E. B. Pickel and wife, Mrs. J. E. Enyart and Mrs. George Davis left for Dead Indian Springs Tuesday to be gone several weeks.
"Local and General," Southern Oregon Mail, July 22, 1892, page 3
Dr. and Mrs. Pickel returned from the mountains Tuesday, leaving the rest of the campers still enjoying life in the woods. The doctor is the proud possessor of a wildcat skin, the result of his unerring aim with the rifle. He shot the animal just before starting home.
"Local and General," Southern Oregon Mail, July 29, 1892, page 3
Misses Theiss and Pickel have accepted situations in the Salem public schools. Medford thus loses two excellent school teachers whose services will be missed.
"Medford Squibs," Democratic Times, Jacksonville, September 2, 1892, page 2
Miss Pickel, of Medford, takes Prof. Whipple's room at the East School, temporarily owing to his late illness.
"Short Bits," Evening Capital Journal, Salem, September 5, 1892, page 3
Misses Della Pickel and Mary Theiss have gone to Salem to teach in the public schools. This makes seven Jackson County teachers employed in the public schools of the state capital. "Pressed Bricks," Valley Record, Ashland, September 8, 1892, page 1
Dr. Pickel of Medford made us a call one day during the week. He has been appointed to succeed Dr. Porter as coroner. This is an excellent appointment, as the doctor ranks high in his profession.
"Local Notes," Democratic Times, Jacksonville, September 9, 1892, page 3
Dr. Pickel is coroner of Jackson County at last, having been appointed by the county commissioners to succeed the late Dr. Porter. Dr. Pickel ran against Dr. Parson for that position two years ago, when the two factions of the county physicians' ring made the campaign for that office so lively that it produced a tie, when Parson drew the straw that made him coroner. At that time Pickel was a sort of non-union physician, but now the fraternity have sort of taken him in and turned their batteries of slander, billingsgate and general stinkingness on some other head. Physicians rank with piano tuners and fishwomen in their display of professional jealousy.
"Brevity Basket," Valley Record, Ashland, September 22, 1892, page 3
Dr. E. B. Pickel has been making some nice improvements about his residence property, and will soon have one of the most attractive places here.
"Medford Squibs," Democratic Times, Jacksonville, September 30, 1892, page 2
Dr. E. B. Pickel lately enjoyed a visit from his old-time friend, J. C. Barnard of the Willamette section.
"Medford Squibs," Democratic Times, Jacksonville, October 14, 1892, page 2
Mrs. Pickel, mother of Dr. E. B. Pickel, is visiting her daughter at Talent.
"Local and General," Southern Oregon Mail, October 21, 1892, page 3
Mrs. Pickel, mother of Dr. Pickel, has been visiting her daughter, at Talent.
"Medford Squibs," Democratic Times, Jacksonville, October 28, 1892, page 2
E. BARTON PICKEL, M.D., a prominent physician of Medford, Oregon, was born in Monroe County, east Tennessee, September 17, 1861. He was the son of French and Mary H. (Matheny) Pickel. The former was a native of Virginia, of German descent, and came to Oregon and located in Medford, May, 1888. He died November 26, 1890. His mother was a native of Tennessee, of English extraction. Her people were early pioneers of Tennessee. The family consisted of ten children, E. Barton Pickel being the ninth child.
At the close of the war the family removed to the state of Georgia, locating at Athens, but after one year returned to east Tennessee in Roane County. E. Barton attended the Grant Memorial University at Athens, Tennessee, and completed his course in 1880. He began the study of medicine at Rockwood, Tennessee, in 1883, with Dr. J. E. George, an eminent physician of the old school. He took his first course of lectures in the medical department of the University of Louisville, Kentucky, in 1885. He practiced medicine two years in Roane County, Tennessee, after which he again returned to Louisville, and there graduated in medicine and surgery, in the class of 1887 and 1888.
He came to Medford in the same year, and has since enjoyed a good practice. The doctor is a man who always keeps abreast of the times, as is manifested by the number of medical journals to be found on the tables in his office. Although comparatively a new arrival at Medford, he has already gained for himself a reputation in the community, not only as a skillful physician, but also as a progressive and prominent citizen.
He is a member of the State Medical Society, also secretary of the Medical Society of Southern Oregon, organized May 10, 1892. He is chairman of the City Board of Health, and was elected to the City Council in 1892. The doctor takes no active part in political parties, but is prominently identified with the orders F.&A.M. and I.O.O.F., and Camp degree of the last-named order. He has passed all the official chairs in the Subordinate Lodge, I.O.O.F.
He was married in Loudon County, Tennessee, May 14, 1885, to Miss Mattie E. De Lashmutt, also a native of Tennessee. They have no family.
Rev. H. K. Hines, An Illustrated History of the State of Oregon, 1893, page 431
DR. E. B. PICKELMedford Mail, July 14, 1893 et seq., page 1
That is a very pleasant resident house on B Street between Seventh and Eighth, owned and occupied by Dr. Pickel. Aside from this property the doctor owns an one-fourth block on the corner of Seventh and F streets which is a most beautiful building spot and upon which we opine he will erect a structure someday in the future for his permanent residence. Another piece of property belonging to this gentleman is located on South C Street and upon which he will erect a five-room dwelling house sometime next month. Mr. Pickel has resided in Medford five years and came here from East Tennessee.
Dr. E. B. Pickel and wife left Tuesday evening for a visit with relatives at Chattanooga, Tenn., after which they will go to Chicago, where the doctor will take a course of lectures in the line of his profession. They expect to be absent about eight months.
"Purely Personal," Medford Mail, September 8, 1893, page 3
Dr. Pickel's New Office.
The professional gentleman above mentioned has secured office room in the opera house block--room five, where he will be located until--until he makes different arrangements.
"News of the City," Medford Mail, April 20, 1894, page 3
On the second floor are five rooms. At the front are two rooms. 12x17, and back of these are two more rooms, 12x15 feet in size, one of each front and rear rooms being now occupied by Dr. E. B. Pick,el and Dr. E. P. Geary. These rooms are nicely finished, are light and pleasant and in them are to be found all the modern appliances of the medical and surgical profession--large. easy and convenient operating chairs, cases of surgical instruments and a large and well selected library of medical works. To each of the offices is furnished water from the city water works. and also waste pipes from the bath basins.
"Mayor Haskins' Ideal Store," Medford Mail, August 17, 1894, page 3
DRS. GEARY & PICKEL.
PHYSICIANS AND SURGEONS.
That "nothing succeeds like success" is a trite aphorism which seems to have received recognition even as far back as the Dark Ages. Drs. Geary & Pickel, the subject of this sketch, have, by their industry and by virtue of their ability, placed themselves in the highest rank of the medical profession. These eminent gentlemen are both graduates from our best medical colleges and since coming to Medford have gained a very large and lucrative practice. They have successfully performed several surgical operations which were apparently impossible. Drs. Geary & Pickel are progressive men and aid all enterprises that advance the city. They are located in the Haskins building, where they have in their spacious reception rooms one of the largest and most complete libraries in the state. We commend them to the favorable notice of all readers as men of broad and liberal views and, as physicians and surgeons, there are none more worthy of note in the state of Oregon.
"Our Business and Professional People Briefly Mentioned," Medford Mail, May 28, 1897, page 3
Dr. E. B. Pickel of Medford has purchased the interest of his partner, Dr. E. P. Geary, and also the elegant home of the latter. It is said that Dr. Geary will go to California and locate in one of the large cities and devote his attention to the special line of the eye.
"Brevities," Ashland Tidings, December 20, 1897, page 3
John Wyland of Climax, who has been under treatment by Dr. Pickel of Medford for some time past, has returned home, much improved.
"Local Notes," Democratic Times, Jacksonville, March 17, 1898, page 3
Dr. Pickel, assisted by Dr. Hargrave, on Tuesday performed a delicate operation on Cleve., the fourteen-year-old son of J. W. Manning of Klamath Falls. Several bones were removed from the lad's arm, which had been affected by rheumatism. The operation was entirely successful.
"Medford Squibs," Democratic Times, Jacksonville, December 29, 1898, page 1
Dr. E. B. Pickel is seriously contemplating the erection this season of a new residence on his property on West Seventh Street.
"Additional Local," Medford Mail, March 30, 1900, page 6
Dr. and Mrs. E. B. Pickel celebrated their crystal 15th anniversary wedding Monday night. Elaborate preparations had been made at their handsome residence for the reception of the guests, who were numerous and greatly enjoyed the occasion.
"Medford Squibs," Democratic Times, Jacksonville, May 17, 1900, page 3
WEDDING ANNIVERSARY.In May of 1925 Medford was anticipating a special election to decide the site of the new high school: The choice was between "the ballpark site," site of today's McLoughlin Junior High School, and "the P&E site," site of the former Pacific & Eastern railway station and yards--today's Hawthorne Park. The east bank of Bear Creek was notorious for being under water during the creek's frequent floods.
Dr. and Mrs. E. Barton Pickel Observe Their Crystal Wedding.
Not for many seasons has the social side of Medford been so brilliantly portrayed or gathered together under such pleasant environments as on last Monday evening, the occasion being the fifteenth anniversary of the wedding day of Dr. and Mrs. E. Barton Pickel. The large circle of friends and social acquaintances of the popular doctor and his estimable wife were kept in pleasing anticipation for several days after the receipt of the invitations, and it is but a deserve compliment to the host and hostess to say that the most sanguine expectations of their guests were far outdone by the splendid hospitality that greeted them. It is a fact often commented upon that the elegant home of Mr. and Mrs. Pickel constitutes one of the happiest in the city--and on this occasion they took, for the time being, all their friends into its domain of peaceful joy and pleasure, and gave bountifully of its cheerful and grateful influences to the favored number who gathered on the gaily lighted lawn and in the cozy home to extend their sincerest congratulations, and to wish the happy couple many returning anniversaries.
The guests began to arrive at 8:30, and were received by Mrs. W. I. Vawter, who conducted them within, where the host and hostess were stationed to receive their congratulations. They were then extended the freedom of the home, the interior of which was like a glimpse of fairyland, or the dream of a lover of the beautiful--a garden full of rare and fragrant flowers and twining vines, festoons of sweet brier reaching from the walls to the chandeliers, and every nook and corner filled with potted palms and other pretty plants and cut flowers in abundance, the whole blending prettily into a color scheme of green and white. Without, the kindly moon lent its influence toward enlivening the scene, and its quivering bars of silver light sifted through the foliage of the oak trees and fell upon tables whose rich decorations formed the only artificial auxiliaries to the lavish blessings of nature, displayed on every hand. When the guests were bidden to be seated, the place of prominence was occupied, of course, by the host and hostess, Mrs. Pickel being elegantly and tastily costumed in a gown of light gray organdy trimmed in narrow bands of black velvet ribbon, and wearing orange blossoms, while the "groom" was clad in the conventional black--a reproduction of the costume worn on the occasion which was so happily commemorated on this evening. The menu, gracefully served by the young ladies of the Kettle Drum Club, assisted by Misses Woodford and Webb, consisted of cold meats, pressed chicken, salads, tomatoes, salted almonds, cherries, dates, ice cream, coffee and cake. Dainty favors accompanied each cover.
Over one hundred guests were noted, among those from out of town being Mr. and Mrs. Carter, of Ashland, Mr. and Mrs. Gus Newbury, Dr. and Mrs. Robinson, Mr. and Mrs. Love and John Miller, of Jacksonville, Dr. and Mrs. Hargrave, of Phoenix, and Mrs. Bradley, of Eugene. During the evening congratulatory telegrams were received from friends in Tennessee, and in Portland, Eugene and other places in Oregon. The pleasure of the evening was further increased by a delightful vocal and instrumental musical program consisting of vocal solos by Dr. Burnett, Mrs. Vawter, Maysie Foster and Carl Webb, vocal duet by Mr. and Mrs. E. E. Gore, instrumental duet by Misses Webber and Foster, and a piano solo by Miss Webber.
It was a late hour when the guests departed, and it is safe to say that no similar event in the course of years was more thoroughly enjoyed by those attending than this one, and that the good wishes of the guests were as sincere as they were numerous. The event was a social success in every way and reflects great credit on the happy host and hostess, and the Mail joins with their large circle of friends in wishing them many returning anniversaries. The tokens of friendship presented consisted of cut glassware, and were richly beautiful and very numerous; yet it cannot be doubted that Dr. and Mrs. Pickel will value them for their intrinsic value far less than for the loving remembrance of the donors.
Medford Mail, May 18, 1900, page 6
The event of the season was the 15th wedding anniversary of Dr. and Mrs. E. B. Pickel, last Monday evening. The evening was perfect, and over 100 guests offered their congratulations. The house was beautifully decorated in green and white, and the grounds were ablaze with lanterns and lamps. Tables were spread on the lawn, loaded with nearly everything that could tempt the appetite, while in the parlors music was furnished by Medford's best talent. The presents were numerous and costly. Guests were present from Eugene, Ashland and Jacksonville.
"Medford," Sunday Oregonian, Portland, May 20, 1900, page 15
CRYSTAL WEDDING.Sunday Oregonian, Portland, May 20, 1900, page 15
Delightfully Conducted Out-of-Town Social Function.
Dr. and Mrs. E. Barton Pickel celebrated the 15th anniversary of their wedding on Monday evening at their beautiful home in Medford, and over 100 of their friends enjoyed the happy occasion with them. The handsome, spacious grounds were lighted by innumerable Japanese lanterns, and the entire house was ablaze with electric lights. On the verandas, enclosed with draperies and made cozy with rugs and couches, the lights were softly subdued. The entrance hall and all of the second story was adorned with graceful arrangements of English ivy and sumptuous supper was served at large and small tables, brilliantly lighted, and prettily arranged, under the trees on the lawn. The floral decorations of the tables were entirely of sweet peas. The favors were dainty hearts, tied with lovers' knots. Many elegant and valuable presents were received.
Miss Della Pickel, a member of the junior class of the University of Oregon, came home last Friday, and soon afterward started for Mount Prospect, where she will teach the summer school.
"Medford," Sunday Oregonian, Portland, June 24, 1900, page 15
Dr. Pickel is having more fun than anyone with his new X-ray machine. He put the machine in a few weeks ago, at a cost of $600, but not until within the last few days has he had it in successful operation. The machine is complete in every detail and is sure to prove of great benefit to the doctor in his practice, especially in surgery cases, of which he has not a few. It is indeed a remarkable thing, this X-ray. Imagine looking right through one's hand or arm and discerning very distinctly the bones! That is just what it enables one to do--as many in Medford will bear witness. Harold Lumsden was in the doctor's office, with others, looking through the instrument on Tuesday evening of this week. Several years ago Mr. Lumsden suffered a broken arm. This was placed under the X-ray, and the break could be easily seen, also an enlargement of the bone at that particular point. The doctor's foot, with shoe on, was placed before the light, and the bones in the foot could be seen plainly, as could also be counted the large nails in his shoe heel. The ray will be used by the doctor in examining into the nature of broken bones, also in examination after they have been set to ascertain if they are in their right place, also in case of wounds from firearms in locating the bullet. The doctor has put a water wheel in his office, and this is the power which drives the electric machinery that produces the X-ray. This is the only X-ray machine between Albany, Oregon and Yreka, Calif.
"City Happenings," Medford Mail, July 20, 1900, page 7
Dr. and Mrs. E. B. Pickel, who have been rusticating on Applegate, got back Sunday.
"Medford Squibs," Democratic Times, Jacksonville, August 23, 1900, page 3
The Ashland House hotel, circa 1880.
"Local Notes," Democratic Times, Jacksonville, November 22, 1900, page 3
Dr. Pickel's new residence on West Seventh Street is rapidly nearing completion.
"Additional Local," Medford Mail, February 1, 1901, page 6
Dr. Pickel's new residence in West Medford is fast nearing completion. It is one of the prettiest and most imposing dwellings in the town and is a credit to our city of 2100 and over population. E. W. Starr is doing the carpenter work, and to him is due credit for much of its artistic appearance. The dwelling will be for rent.
"Additional Local," Medford Mail, February 22, 1901, page 6
Milton Maule is doing the painting of Dr. E. B. Pickel's new West Seventh Street residence, and is doing good work.
Dr. Pickel's house on West Main, between the Vawter House
and Hotel Medford, under construction in 1911.
"Additional Local," Medford Mail, March 29, 1901, page 6
The commencement exercises of the University of Oregon are being held at Eugene this week. Two Medford.girls, Misses Bessie Hammond and Adele Pickel, are members of the graduating class.
"Additional Local," Medford Mail, June 21, 1901, page 6
The cottage built by Dr. Pickel in the western part of town for renting purposes is a beauty. It is not rented yet, but will be in demand later.
"Medford Squibs," Democratic Times, Jacksonville, June 27, 1901, page 5
Miss Adele Pickel, who has been attending the University of Oregon, at Eugene, from which institution she recently graduated with honors, has returned to her home in this city.
"Purely Personal," Medford Mail, July 5, 1901, page 6
Miss Lulu Straw, who has been stopping in Medford for several months taking X-ray treatment from Dr. Pickel for face trouble, left Tuesday morning for her home at Yreka, Calif. She was very much improved, and will soon go to Klamath Falls, where she will receive like treatment by her brother, Dr. Straw.
"Purely Personal," Medford Mail, July 19, 1901, page 6
Dr. Pickel was called to Ashland last week to investigate a reported case of smallpox. One physician in that city declared the malady to be smallpox, but another physician differed with him in the diagnosis, hence Dr. Pickel's visit. Dr. Pickel pronounced it a well-defined case of smallpox, but in so mild a form as not to cause alarm.
"Purely Personal," Medford Mail, July 26, 1901, page 6
Miss Adele Pickel left Medford Monday evening for Bryn Mawr, Penn., where she will take a postgraduate course in the college at that place. Miss Pickel graduated from the Oregon state university [University of Oregon] last year. She will confine her studies to English literature at the above-named college.
"Purely Personal," Medford Mail, September 6, 1901, page 6
Miss Adele Pickel has gone to Philadelphia, to attend Bryn Mawr College.
"Medford Squibs," Democratic Times, Jacksonville, September 19, 1901, page 7
Mr. and Mrs. J. A. Perry left Sunday morning for Albany, Oregon, where they will visit relatives for a couple of weeks. Mr. Perry is figuring on bagging a goodly number of China pheasants while in that locality--and Dr. Pickel, of this city, will join him in a few days of the sport--and try the mettle in his new fifty-dollar bird dog.
"Purely Personal," Medford Mail, October 4, 1901, page 6
Michael Galarneau and son, of Klamath County, were in Medford Monday. The young Mr. Galarneau was afflicted with one very badly crossed eye, and it was for the purpose of having it straightened that the visit to our city was made. The operation was decidedly a delicate and difficult one owing to the fact that the eye was so badly crossed, but it was very successfully performed, and when through with the young man could see as straight ahead with it as he could with the one not afflicted. When given a mirror to look in after the operation, the young fellow could hardly believe it was his own face that reflected in the glass. The operation was performed by Dr. Pickel.
"City Happenings," Medford Mail, November 29, 1901, page 7
Speaking about guns--(a subject which we were not speaking of at all)--Dr. Pickel has the gem implement of quail slaughter. It's a Lefever gun with gold triggers and indicators and cost just $165--even coin--and was furnished him by H. G. Nicholson, the hardware man. It is unquestionably a beauty, and the possessor of it has just reasons to presume that trespass notices will be no barrier and that with gold glimmer on his gun he ought to be licensed to shoot any old thing in any old place.
"City Happenings," Medford Mail, December 27, 1901, page 7
Dr. Pickel has finished setting out nearly sixth black walnut trees on his lots on West Seventh Street, where he last winter erected the handsome residence now occupied by John C. Lucius and family. He will also seed the grounds about the house to grass for a lawn. The doctor does not contemplate further extensive improvements at present, but will merely keep the land in sufficient cultivation to keep the trees in a thrifty condition.
"City Happenings," Medford Mail, January 10, 1902, page 7
Miss Sadie Amann met with quite a serious accident last Monday. She was doing the family washing, and in rubbing a garment over the washboard in which a large sewing needle was sticking, the point of the needle struck the fleshy part of her right thumb and penetrated that member to quite a depth and broke in two, one part remaining in the thumb. The young lady came to Dr. Pickel's office, where the X-ray was turned on the thumb, and by it the needle was located between the bones, and three incisions were necessary to be made before the needle could be removed. The wound was dressed and the young lady is getting along all right, but it will be several weeks at best before she can use her hand. Dr. Pickel was assisted by Mrs. Osborne. It was only a short time ago that Mrs. Amann, mother of Sadie, met with an accident to her right hand, and from the effects of which she has not yet fully recovered. She was "shooing" some hens out of the yard when her hand came in contact with a sharp scythe which was hanging in a tree, making an ugly wound in the back of her hand, severing the skin for several inches.
"City Happenings," Medford Mail, April 4, 1902, page 7
Voters Showed Appreciation of Dr. Pickel's Services.
That Dr. E. B. Pickel must have made a good coroner in the past is shown in the fact that he was again elected. He went in on the Democratic ticket, and has proved an efficient official.
"I always endeavor to do my duty to the best of my ability," he said. "Further than that I have nothing to say."
Democratic Times, Jacksonville, June 12, 1902, page 2
Miss Lillian McCall of Ashland, while in Medford this week, had one of her nether limbs, which has been giving her much pain, examined by the X-ray device. Dr. Pickel soon discovered that the knee was affected by tuberculosis.
"Local Notes," Democratic Times, Jacksonville, June 19, 1902, page 5
Miss Della Pickel, who has been attending the Bryn Mawr college, located near Philadelphia, is in Portland, visiting Mrs. Dr. Geary. She will soon return to Medford.
"Medford Squibs," Democratic Times, Jacksonville, June 26, 1902, page 2
Doctors Pickel and Cole, who have been east of the mountains on timberland business, returned a few days since.
"Medford Squibs," Democratic Times, Jacksonville, September 4, 1902, page 5
Miss Adele Pickel, who has been selected to teach one of the departments of the Pendleton public school, has assumed her duties.
"Medford Squibs," Democratic Times, Jacksonville, October 2, 1902, page 4
Mrs. A. H. Peachey, of Mt. Pitt precinct, had the misfortune to break off a needle in [her] hand, and on Thursday of last week came to Eagle Point for surgical aid. Dr. Officer was called but was unable to locate the piece of needle, and on Friday she was taken to Medford, where Dr. Pickel used the x-ray to find it. It was taken out, but at last accounts she was suffering very much with her hand. She is now stopping with her daughter, Mrs. J. A. Bish, of Central Point.
A. C. Howlett, "Eagle Point Eaglets," Medford Mail, October 3, 1902, page 5
Dr. Cameron has rented the Dr. Pickel residence on West Seventh Street, formerly occupied by J. C. Lucus, and will move into it this week. Next year the doctor expects to build a residence of his own, and settle down as a permanent citizen.
"City Happenings," Medford Mail, October 10, 1902, page 7
Dr. Pickel has of late been having some extensive improvements made in his offices, looking to the enhanced convenience thereof both to his patients and himself. A room formerly used as a store room is being fitted up for use as an x-ray and optical laboratory, being so arranged that all light can be excluded from it, making it more satisfactory for this class of work. The reception, consultation and operating rooms will be furbished up throughout, and when finished there will be no more neat and complete set of offices in the country anywhere. The doctor will also add to his already large collection of some of the latest appliances used in the healing art.
"City Happenings," Medford Mail, November 14, 1902, page 7
John Pennington, of Ashland, is in Medford taking x-ray treatment from Dr. Pickel for the relief of a cancer which he has forming on his lip.
"Additional Local," Medford Mail, November 21, 1902, page 6
John L. Pennington of Ashland is stopping in Medford at present. He has a cancer on his lip, which is being operated on by Dr. Pickel with his x-ray machine.
"Brief Mention," Democratic Times, Jacksonville, November 26, 1902, page 2
Barney Mathews of Roseburg arrived in Medford Tuesday, accompanied by his father, who is afflicted with palsy and will be treated with the X-ray by Dr. Pickel.
"Medford Squibs," Democratic Times, Jacksonville, February 4, 1903, page 4
Dr. E. Barton Pickel, of Medford, was born in Sweetwater, Tenn., in 1861, and educated in the common school and in East Tennessee Wesleyan University. He took the full medical and surgical course in the medical department of the University of Louisville, Kentucky, graduating in 1868. He went at once to Medford, where he has since resided. Dr. Pickel is a member of the American Medical Association, of the Oregon State Medical Society, of the the Southern Oregon Medical Association, of which society he has been president. He is a Mystic Shriner and prominent in fraternal societies. He was a member of the Board of Pension Examiners for Southern Oregon during President Cleveland's second term. In 1894 Dr. Pickel took a post-graduate course and a degree in the College of Physicians and Surgeons, of Chicago.
"No Chance for Germs," (bios of members of the State Board of Health), Morning Oregonian, Portland, March 20, 1903, page 10
January 17, 1904 Sunday Oregonian
Dr. E. B. Pickel has just reason for taking unto himself a goodly amount of pride in the manner in which he is so successfully bringing to the front his "401" orchard, north and east from Medford. It is not, ordinarily, to be presumed that a practicing physician has in him the qualifications requisite to a first-class orchardists, but Dr. Pickel is evidently out of the ordinary, as he has operated his orchard farm for the past three or four years with wonderful success. Aside from directing all the work incident to planting and caring for his orchard, he has planned and caused to be erected many substantial improvements not appertaining directly to horticulture. He is right now finishing a very fine barn. This building is 42x80 feet in size, eighteen feet posts and has a hay loft capacity for 150 tons of loose hay. There is also stall room in it for eighteen head of horses, and besides there is a fourteen-foot shed the full length of one side.
May 17, 1906 Oregonian
"City Happenings," Medford Mail, October 12, 1906, page 5
Dr. E. B. Pickel will have office rooms upstairs in the new Jackson County Bank building. His suite of offices will comprise four rooms, two of which--his library and reception room--will front on Seventh Street, while his operating room will front on C Street and back of his library will be his X-ray room.
"City Happenings," Medford Mail, November 30, 1906, page 3
Dr. Pickel Is Elected President.
SALEM, Or., Dec. 17.--(Special.)--The State Board of Health met here today and elected E. B. Pickel, of Medford, president, and E. A. Pierce of Portland, vice-president. As secretary, Mr. Yenny holds his office during the pleasure of the board. No election of secretary was necessary. The other members present were: Alfred Kinney, of Astoria; W. B. Morse, of Salem; Andrew C. Smith of Portland, and C. J. Smith of Pendleton.
Morning Oregonian, Portland, December 28, 1906, page 5
Dr. E. B. Pickel of this city has been given more professional honor. He was last week elected president of the Oregon State Board of Health. The governor appoints this board and its members elect its officers. The board is composed of some of the most prominent and learned medical men of the state, hence and election to its presidency is no empty honor. Aside from this Dr. Pickel is also president of the Oregon State Medical Association, which has a membership of 365.
"City Happenings," Medford Mail, January 4, 1907, page 5
Street Commissioner Higgins:--"One evening last week, as I was passing by the new Jackson County Bank building, I heard someone hammering on a window above me and calling for assistance, and looking up at a window in the third story I beheld the faces of doctors Pickel and Hargrave. My first impression was that they had been kidnapped, but they called to me and told me to go for Wes Johnson. I found Wes and we went to the building, where we found the two above-named gentlemen waiting, but very impatiently, for they were getting hungry. It happened that Dr. Pickel had invited Dr. Hargrave to go to the bank building and look at his new offices, and they tarried so long that all the men left the building and the door was locked by Wes Johnson. The two prisoners had called to innumerable persons who passed along the street, but they only smiled, waved a hand and passed on, thinking nothing of seeing the two doctors at the window. When relief came the two men were somewhat in a bad humor, as it was the hour for their evening meal, and they were beginning to think that they would be compelled to remain prisoners for the night."
"Things Told on the Street," Medford Mail, March 1, 1907, page 1
On the westerly side of the [new Jackson County Bank] building, on C Street, is the stairway entrance to the second floor. The stairway is broad, and the steps are graduated in a manner that makes ascent easy. On the second floor are office rooms. The two rooms fronting on Seventh Street, one on C Street and an interior room which is lighted by means of a skylight, are occupied by Dr. Pickel. The corner room is a waiting chamber, while the room fronting on C Street is given to operating purposes. The interior room is occupied by the doctor's X-ray machine. The room fronting on Seventh Street contains Mr. Pickel's medical library, which is beyond a doubt the largest and most complete collection of medical works in the state. The other rooms on the second floor will be occupied by Hon. W. I. Vawter and M. Purdin, as law offices.
"Jackson County Bank Building," Medford Mail, March 22, 1907, page 1
Dr. E. B. Pickel is making many improvements about his pretty West Seventh Street home. The house is being raised about two feet, new foundation put in, basement built for a furnace, and the entire dwelling will be piped for hot air heating. A new and much larger porch is also being built.
"City Happenings," Medford Mail, August 23, 1907, page 5
Hon. W. I. Vawter and Dr. E. B. Pickel have laid plans for some beautiful landscape gardening about their homes on West Seventh Street. They each have half a block near the center of which are their residences, and they propose uniting the grounds and making them over into beautiful lawns, driveways, terraces and bowers of roses and other flowers. All the fences and hedges will be removed, and on the property line at the rear of the houses will be erected a fine barn for the use of both. A Portland landscape gardener is now working on a design.
"Local and Personal," Medford Mail, May 29, 1908, page 5
Following the sale to Honore Palmer comes another one of interest J. S. Cannon, C. W. Perkins and B. Gilman of San Francisco, and T. W. Roberts of Fresno, Cal. purchased Dr. E. B. Pickel's ranch, known as the "401" ranch, and containing 561 acres, 235 acres planted to commercial varieties of apples 1 to 4 years old, and 100 acres ready for planting. The balance is planted to pears. While the exact price has not yet been made public, it is known to be over $100,000.
"Palmer Buys at Medford," Morning Oregonian, Portland, November 13, 1908, page 9
Dr. E. B. Pickel, of Medford, ordered a Packard 18 touring car last week from the Keats Auto Co., delivery to be made in March.
Sunday Oregonian, Portland, December 20, 1908, page D7
In looking over the record of those who have distinguished themselves in public service, our thoughts naturally turn to the record of Dr. E. B. Pickel. The doctor has the record of being the handsomest mayor to date, and will probably continue to enjoy the distinction until we elect a suffragette.
Dr. Pickel was mayor [1904-05] in the days when we drank Bear Creek "liquid." It was generally liquid. In those days if we wished to leave our homes at night we equipped ourselves with rubber boots, procured a lantern, and with fear and trembling sallied forth into utter blackness. If we reached our destination without stepping on the end of a board whose other end was not nailed down we felt that we were under the protection of a special providence.
Dr. Pickel was largely instrumental in selecting the present site of Medford's pure water supply [Fish Lake], and for this service alone we think he is entitled to a place in "Medford's Hall of Fame."
Minnie (Mrs. Harry C.) Stoddard, "Medford's Hall of Fame," Medford Mail Tribune, December 18, 1912, page 4
ILLUSTRATED PAMPHLET OF 401 ORCHARD TRACT
The syndicate of Californians who recently purchased from Dr. E. B. Pickel the celebrated 401 Orchard have organized the 401 Orchard Company, capitalized at $250,000, which has offered a portion of its stock for sale. The company has issued an attractive and elaborately illustrated catalogue containing views of Medford and the Rogue River Valley, as well as the 401 Orchard, which is all that could be asked in an art and literary way, and will doubtless be the means of interesting many people in this section.
Southern Oregonian, Medford, January 16, 1909, page 3
DR. PICKEL BUYS KILGORE PLACE FOR $36,000
Dr. E. B. Pickel, who recently sold the 401 Orchard, has purchased from John M. Root the Kilgore place, consisting of 155 acres, just east of Medford, paying $36,000 for the same. The deal, like many others about to be made, has been pending for some time, awaiting the result of Tuesday's election, and was not closed until it was known that prosperity in Medford was to continue.
Upon the land is 28 acres of four-year-old Newtown apples and five acres of Bosc pears. There are 88 acres of Bear Creek bottom land in alfalfa. The tract is one of the best in the valley. It was bonded last spring by Mr. Root from Mr. Kilgore. Three years ago the land sold for $16,000, an increase of $20,000 since.
Southern Oregonian, Medford, January 20, 1909, page 1
The history of this ranch reads like a story out of the Arabian Nights in the magicry of the sudden fortunes that it has made for its owners. A few years ago it was a wheat farm. Then Dr. E. B. Pickel bought it for about $25 an acre. He improved it, and last June he sold it to the 401 Orchard Company for $110,000.
"The '401' Ranch," Medford's Magazine, April 1909, page 7
A 1909 Packard like Dr. Pickel's.
AUTO REFUSES TO FORD RIVEREven dignified doctors have to encounter the humorous side of things at times, but they must always have the happy faculty of retaining under their lids anything in the way of a joke in which they are the unfortunate ones. Doctors, of course, according to the ethics of their profession, must at all times keep up a dignified bearing that is in keeping with their calling. However, the Evening Telegram has got wise to a good story in which a prominent Rogue River Valley physician is a conspicuous party. The Telegram says:
Marooned on an automobile in the middle of Bear Creek, a few miles from Medford, Or., a party of physicians, including two Portland medicos, were forced to remove their shoes and hosiery, roll up their trousers and paddle around in the icy water for half an hour before they managed to drag the machine upon dry land. Running at a dangerous rate of speed against time, because of the delay, the automobile pulled into Grants Pass just in time for the Portland men to see their train pulling out. Waiting two hours for the second section, which was crowded, they had to curl up on the hard seats of a smoker and pass a most uncomfortable period until they reached home.
Now that their strenuous adventure is past, the physicians perceive its humorous features, but they are not doing any advertising, at that. Several persons from Grants Pass, however, are not so uncommunicative. In substance, here is what they tell:
Stuck in Midstream.Dr. Coffey and Dr. Pierce attended the annual meeting of the Southern Oregon Medical Association at Grants Pass May 11. The former read a paper on "Cancerous Growths and Modern Treatment," the latter on "Tuberculosis." To show the appreciation of Grants Pass physicians, Dr. E. B. Pickel took them for an automobile tour of the Rogue River Valley, incidentally desiring to make them jealous of his fine new machine. Mrs. Pickel and 11-year-old Carter Pickel rode with them.
When about five miles from Medford, Dr. Pickel tried to demonstrate the marine prowess of his auto and started to cross Bear Creek. In the middle of the stream, about 15 feet from either shore, the tires refused to "bite," and then their troubles began. Almost standing on his head while leaning over the hood, Dr. Pickel tried to crank up, but succeeded only in showering the occupants of the machine with water. With dignified mien, Dr. Coffey then essayed to jump ashore. He made a tremendous leap, but--well, water is always wet.
Shoe Laces the Cause.Discarding his dignity, the physician broke limbs off trees and gathered driftwood to build a pontoon bridge to the automobile from shore. Part of the time was spent in rescuing with a pole the personal effects of the chauffeur, which dropped into the creek while he was cranking up. The pontoon gave way just in time to let Dr. Pierce and Dr. Pickel, who were proceeding shoreward, off the water wagon.
Then the physicians removed their shoes and hosiery and rolled up their trousers. After much coaxing, Dr. Coffey was induced to assist in helping get the machine out of the creek. This performance took almost half an hour, and before it was over all three had cold feet. Then the run for Grants Pass to catch the train began, the "speedometer" showing a gait of 30 miles an hour over a rough road.
"If it hadn't been for you and Pickel losing five minutes lacing your shoes after we got the auto out of the creek, we wouldn't have to sit up all night," growled Dr. Pierce, as they gazed after the train vanishing Portlandward.
Medford Mail, May 21, 1909, page 8
It is to the venturesome spirit of Dr. E. B. Pickel, a well-known physician of Southern Oregon, that the people of the Rogue River Valley owe the opening up to the planting of orchards of the large tract of land known as Big Sticky, however, better known among those familiar with the locality by several unmentionable aliases.
In winter the roads through this district are impassable to a wagon. Even in a light buggy a driver must get out every few rods and knock the mud off the wheels with a club. To work this land as an orchard needs to be worked was considered impossible, and there was little belief that the land would ever grow trees. In fact grave doubts were expressed as to Dr. Pickel's mental arrangement when he, in the season of 1905, set out 8,000 trees, covering 140 acres. But when he followed this up by planting 4,000 more trees the next year it was freely predicted that Dr. Pickel was heading for the wall. Little did anyone, even the doctor, think that three years after the first planting the orchard would be sold at a profit of nearly $100,000.
The story of Dr. Pickel's buy on Big Sticky reads like a fairy tale. It appears that the doctor and his wife had nearly completed plans for a trip abroad, but through the influence of Dr. Van Dyke, of Grants Pass, they became interested in orchard land and decided that if a suitable buy offered itself they would take it and postpone the trip abroad. One day Dr. Pickel was called on a case over into the Big Sticky district and his driver, who was familiar with the country, pointed out the Bush ranch of 161 acres which was about to be foreclosed by the state for the interest on money borrowed from the school land fund. Next to it was the Smith ranch of 240 acres which the driver said could be bought for $4000. Right then and there, Dr. Pickel forgot all his desires to see the cathedrals and art galleries of the old world. Instead he bought both farms, paying $6500 for the 401 acres.
The trees set out on the 401 Ranch, as the orchard was called, grew fine, despite the dismal predictions. The soil was even found workable if handled at the right time and in the right way. The second year Dr. Pickel bought 160 more acres, but the farm was still known as the 401 Ranch. Last spring, feeling that the undertaking was too great for a single man to handle, the doctor sold out to a stock company for $110,000. The land, the trees, the improvements and the labor expended cost Dr. Pickel $35,000, leaving the difference as a handsome profit on a three-years' investment. The doctor has since then bought another place which he is developing. Now, nearly the whole of Big Sticky is being set out or has been set out to orchard.
Arthur M. Geary, "Enormous Wealth of Rogue River Orchards," Morning Oregonian, Portland, September 5, 1909, page F2
The Douglas[, Alaska] school is a full 12-graded school, and the rapid advancement of this Alaskan school is due to the effort of a Medford, Or. woman, Miss Adele Pickel, who used every available means to raise the school to a level with any first-class school in the Northwest.
Minnie M. Bayne, "Largest Mine in the World," Sunday Oregonian, Portland, December 26, 1909, page F4
Emerick Bros. and S. Childers have perfected arrangements for the erection of a brick building on South Bartlett Street, between Main and Eighth streets. . . . The old residence now on the lot will be taken down by Mr. Childers and the material worked into a new dwelling on property he owns on the east side. This residence is one of the early Medford landmarks and 20 years ago was occupied by Dr. Pickel.
"Build Garage on Bartlett Street," Medford Mail Tribune weekly, April 18, 1912, page 8
Berdan & Sons commenced work Tuesday morning moving the old dwelling house south of the Kentner company's store to South Riverside, where it will be repaired and made suitable for residence purposes. Excavating will at once commence on the vacated lots by S. Childers for the erection of a large brick garage, which will be owned by Mr. Childers and the Emerick brothers.
"Local and Personal," Medford Mail Tribune, April 23, 1912, page 2
Dr. E. B. Pickel--I believe that the greater majority of the best women would not go to the polls, while the more ignorant and those of socialistic tendencies would be apt to.
"What Medford Men Think About Suffrage for Women," Medford Mail Tribune, May 11, 1912, page 8
HEART WEAK, ETHER KILLSMEDFORD, Or., Aug. 9--(Special.)--L. E. Hoover, 58 years old, a pioneer in the Rogue River Valley, died suddenly Thursday in the office of Dr. E. B. Pickel while having a dislocated hip set in place. Mr. Hoover was hurt Monday in an automobile accident near Roseburg when the car went into a ditch and he was painfully, though it was not supposed seriously, injured. When able to travel he was brought to Medford, arriving this afternoon at 3:20. He was taken to Dr. Pickel's office where, after an examination, it was decided to administer an anaesthetic and set the dislocation.
L. E. Hoover Expires at Medford as Hip Is About to Be Set.
Mr. Hoover explained he had a weak heart, so ether was used and great care exercised in its application. He had not become entirely unconscious before heart action suddenly ceased, and although electricity and artificial respiration were tried for two hours, the sparks of life could not be revived.
Mr. Hoover has lived in the valley for 30 years, having been brought to Roseburg at the age of 3. He leaves a wife, two sons, Charles, of Los Angeles; Walter, of Medford, and a daughter, Mrs. J. E. Follie, of Medford.
Oregonian, Portland, August 10, 1912, page 1
Carter Brandon was elected yell leader for the local high school at a meeting of the student body the middle of the week. Nick Oolman, who has previously held the position, was recalled, as it is charged he was negligent in his duties.
"Local and Personal," Medford Sun, April 10, 1915, page 6
PREPAREDNESS MAKES SUCCESS IN FRUIT RAISING"I would buy Rogue River orchards today more cheerfully than ever if I had the money," said Dr. E. B. Pickel in the presence of a party of citizens who were discussing the present situation as enlivened by recent frost injury. "Just two things are required to make orcharding a fine success in this valley," continued the doctor, "and they are adequate preparation to protect the orchards from frost and from drought. The former can be done inexpensively, in proportion to the great benefit derived, and the latter, an absolute necessity, will practically double the value of the output. These things provided, and there will be no excuse for our not having the best fruit district in proportion to its area on the Pacific coast today.
"Had we been provided with irrigation during the last two seasons in which we suffered from drought on account of its absence, we would not now hear any local hard times talk. But we weren't prepared. Had we had ample frost protection this year, as we should have had the foresight to provide, we would not now be talking about our losses.
"About it all there is one good thing. That is the lesson there is in it. It ought to be worth two or three million dollars. Come to think of it, that's not so bad for one season. But the only way we can turn it to profit is by using the lesson in proper and adequate preparation against drought and frost next year. That is the only way we can come out ahead on last year and this."
Medford Mail Tribune, May 11, 1916, page 3
Mr. and Mrs. W. H. Kramer, of Valdez, Alaska, are visiting the family of Dr. E. B. Pickel of this city. Mrs. Kramer is a sister of Dr. Pickel and was formerly a member of the teaching staff of the Medford high school, being well known in this city. She was a delegate at large to the national convention of Women's Federated Clubs held in New York last month, and is now on her way home. They will stay three or four days in the city.
"Local and Personal," Medford Mail Tribune, June 7, 1916, page 2
PICKEL PLANNING TO MOVE RESIDENCE TO SUMMIT AVE.
Dr. E. B. Pickel is contemplating the moving of his residence, corner of Ivy and Main, to the lots owned by him on Summit Avenue, on Main Street.
It is planned to cut the house in two parts, through the east and west sides, then move it out Ivy to Sixth, then to Oakdale, out Fourth to Summit Avenue, and then to its location.
It is impossible to go out Main on account of the trolley wires. Fourth Street is thirty feet wide and Summit Avenue is twenty-eight feet, which necessitates the cutting of the residence to fit the streets.
The present location is surrounded by business houses and is a business block. The taxes are close to $600 per year, or a rent of $50 per month. It is surrounded on three sides by 550 feet of pavement.
The Vawter residence has been let to the University Club, and it is probable a business block will be erected on the Pickel property.
Contractor Moffat will have charge of the moving of the residence. It will cost in the neighborhood of $1500 to move and construct a new foundation.
Medford Mail Tribune, June 16, 1916, page 3 The move was never carried out. The Pickel house eventually became a restaurant, remaining so into the early 1930s.
Fountain Lodge restaurant, the former Pickel House, from a postcard mailed in 1924.
ORCHARD THINNING IN MOVIE PICTURES
Medford will soon have an opportunity again to see a portion of itself in the widely exhibited Mutual Weekly. On Monday Dr. E. B. Pickel, owner of the Broadhurst apple orchards, chaperoned a group of Medford college and high school girls on a thinning excursion, and motion pictures of this expeditionary force were made by A. C. Allen. The Mutual company will release these scenes within two or three weeks.
Medford Mail Tribune, June 12, 1917, page 2
Dr. E. B. Pickel is the new health officer of Medford, having been appointed to that position last night by Mayor Gates, the council unanimously confirming the appointment. He succeeds Dr. Clara Dunn, who resigned the office some time ago. Dr. Pickel only consented to take the position with the provision that the salary be raised from $25 to $50 a month. The council voted the increase.
"Local and Personal," Medford Mail Tribune, September 6, 1918, page 2
Another army man has gone back to the farm. This is Lieutenant O. V. Morrow, a gallant officer with the Rainbow Division, who saw much service in France. He has purchased Brookhurst, formerly owned by Dr. E. B. Pickel. This ranch consists of 153 acres, 60 of which is in pears, six in apples and the balance in alfalfa and barley.
"Thursday's News," Ashland Weekly Tidings, March 24, 1920, page 3
A fruit ranch sale of interest recently took place at Medford, when Lieutenant O. V. Morrow purchased Brookhurst, the large place formerly owned by E. B. Pickel, near Medford. The ranch, which consists of 153 acres, 60 acres of which are in pears, 6 acres in apples and the rest in barley and alfalfa, sold for $45,000. The entire acreage is under irrigation and is considered one of the best-producing fruit farms in the Medford district.
"Northwest Fruit Notes from Here and There," Better Fruit, April 1920, page 25
Dr. E. B. Pickel, Medford's premier physician and health officer for many years, crowded a lot of substance into a few words the other day when a friend told him he was going to vote for the P.&E. site, because the tourists traveling on the Pacific Highway and east on Main Street to the Crater Lake Highway could all see the high school building.
The doctor replied--"Yes, when they see it, all they will say about it is, 'What a hell of a place to build a high school!'"
Medford Mail Tribune, May 14, 1925, page 6
DR. E. B. PICKEL, PIONEER MEDIC OF CITY, PASSES
Three-Day Illness Fatal for Man Known Throughout
State Medical Circles--Prominent Civic Affairs.
Following an illness of only three days, Dr. Elijah Barton Pickel, who pioneered medicine in Medford and the Rogue River Valley, died early this morning from a heart ailment at his home, 54 Summit Avenue, at the age of 70 years, 5 months and 14 days.
Dr. Pickel, well known and beloved by hundreds in southern Oregon, and in medical circles throughout the state, took a prominent part in the city's activities up until the time of his sudden passing. Since coming to Medford in the spring of 1888 he had consistently aided in progressive moves, having conceived and carried out the idea of building Medford's first hospital, the Sacred Heart. [There were several private hospitals before Sacred Heart was built. Sacred Heart was the first purpose-built hospital in Medford.] He was also a member of the company which erected the Hotel Medford and served for some time as mayor of Medford.
A city health officer for many years, the children of Medford found in Dr. Pickel one of their staunchest friends, who always had a smile and cheery word for all.
Dr. Pickel also helped organize the state board of health, being a charter member. He served on the board for 18 years and was twice president.
Dr. Pickel was born in Sweetwater, Tenn., and received his academic education at Athens, Tenn. He received his degree in medicine at the University of Louisville, in Ky., March 1, 1888, just 44 years ago today.
In 1894 he took addition work at Illinois College of Physicians and Surgeons of Chicago and received his second degree as doctor of medicine and surgery on April 3 of that year.
On May 14, 1885, Dr. Pickel was married to Mattie E. Delashmitt in Philadelphia, Tenn.
By invitation he became a fellow of the American College of Surgeons in 1920. He also was a fellow of the American Medical Association.
Dr. Pickel was past president of the Oregon State Medical Association, of the Southern Oregon Medical Association, and of the Jackson County Medical Association, having helped organize the two latter societies.
When coming to Medford in 1888, he was associated with Dr. E. P. Geary, who later moved to Portland, and Dr. Pickel took over his practice. He had remained in practice here constantly, except for brief sojourns to medical centers and to receive his degree at Chicago.
Dr. Pickel was a prominent orchardist in the valley, formerly owning the 401 Orchard and Brookhurst Orchard.
Surviving him are his wife, Mattie E. Pickel; one sister, Mrs. W. H. Kramer of Seaside, and one nephew, Carter Brandon of San Francisco, who was reared and educated by Dr. and Mrs. Pickel; also other nieces and nephews.
Dr. Pickel was a member of Medford Lodge No. 103, A.F. and A.M., Malta Commandery of Ashland, Hillah Shrine Temple, and Reames Chapter No. 66, O.E.S. He was a member of the Baptist Church.
Funeral services will be conducted from the Perl funeral home Friday afternoon at 2:30 o'clock, with Rev. W. H. Eaton officiating. The remains will be forwarded to the Portland crematory for cremation.
The remains will lie in state Friday from 10 a.m. until 2 p.m., in order that friends might pay their respects.
Medford Mail Tribune, March 1, 1932, page 1
DR. E. B. PICKEL DIES AT HOME; HEART TROUBLE
Dr. Elijah Barton Pickel, one of the pioneers in surgery and medicine in the Rogue River Valley, died Tuesday morning from a sudden attack of heart failure. He had been ill only three days.
Mr. Pickel was city health officer for many years and leaves a host of friends. He was connected with the state board of health for years. He came to Medford in 1888, and has been prominent in city and county affairs since that time.
A backer of all civic projects, and a consistent worker for the health of the children of the valley, Dr. Pickel helped to organize the state health board and served for many years as an outstanding member. He was one of the backers of the building of the Sacred Heart Hospital, and of the Medford Hotel.
Born in TennesseeBorn in Sweetwater, Tennessee, he went through the lower grades of school in Athens, Tenn. He received his degree in medicine at the University of Louisville in Ky., on March 1, 1888. On May 14, 1885, he was married to Mattie E. Delashmitt in Philadelphia.
Dr. Pickel was a member of the American Medical Association, the Southern Oregon Medical Association and the Jackson County Medical Association. He was a prominent orchardist here, being a pioneer in the pear industry in the valley, and was at the time owner of the 401 and the Brookhurst orchards.
He was a member of the Medford Lodge No. 103 of A.F. and A.M., Malta Commandery of Ashland, Hillah Shrine Temple and Reames Chapter No. 66, O.E.S. He was a member of the Baptist Church.
He is survived by his wife, Mattie E. Pickel, one sister, Mrs. W. H. Kramer of Seaside, and one nephew, Carter Brandon of San Francisco, who was reared and educated by the Pickels.
Funeral services will be held at the Perl Funeral Home tomorrow afternoon at 2:30, and the body will be taken to Portland for cremation.
Central Point American, March 3, 1932, page 1
OIL STATION WILL REPLACE LANDMARK
The "Fountain Inn," at the corner of Main and Ivy streets, across from the Hotel Medford, is being wrecked to make way for a service station, and work on preparing the grounds will be started soon after the building is torn down, according to information received. The giant oak and magnolia trees in the yard, all more than 35 years old, will not be destroyed.
Fred Wahl, administrator for the Ray Toft estate, has announced that terms of the lease specified that the trees would not be chopped down.
The building was formerly the residence of E. B. Pickel.
Medford News, November 3, 1933, page 1
Lovely Magnolia Tree is DedicatedSun shone with the warmth of its native southland upon a magnolia tree in Medford last Wednesday afternoon, and it lifted its leaves as if in thanks to Mother Nature, who gave magnolias in the beginning the ability to grow in this as well as in the southern zone. For this magnolia has changed homes several times, each time to grow to greater beauty, perhaps because of the unusual care given it in its youth by Jackson County's pioneer physician, Dr. E. Barton Pickel. To his memory it was officially dedicated Wednesday afternoon in the Jackson County courtyard, where it is adapting itself to change in environment with life and the spirit which characterized the old-time doctor.
to Memory of Late Dr. E. B. Pickel
The dedication was preceded by a beautiful eulogy to that southerner who became so great an Oregonian. It was spoken by Senator A. Evan Reames, who also dedicated the tree on behalf of the Medford Garden Club and presented the order to the Jackson County Court, making a permanent record of the gift and the dedication.
The plaque, placed upon the tree's sturdy trunk, reads, "Dedicated to Dr. E. Barton Pickel, the Beloved Physician, 1861-1932. The Medford Garden Club."
"In 1899, the Doctor and Mrs. Pickel obtained this tree in its southern home, and, through the succeeding years, cared for it and enjoyed it greatly," Senator Reames told the court and friends, who gathered in the autumn sunshine. "Dr. Pickel attained great eminence in his profession; he was always kindly and of a very happy disposition. This evergreen, with its constant freshness, is a fitting emblem to his memory."
The Pickels had lived in Medford just ten years when they brought the magnolia to this city. For years and years it grew in the yard of their old home on West Main Street just across Oakdale from the Hotel Medford. The Pickels bought that well-remembered home from Dr. E. P. Geary, with whom Dr. Pickel was in practice, Dr. Geary going from Medford to Portland. The tree grew and so did Dr. Pickel's reputation as a doctor of the soul, as well as the body, a completeness which belonged more to the old-time doctors than to those of today.
He conceived and carried out the idea of building Medford's first hospital, the Sacred Heart [It was Medford's first purpose-built hospital, but not its first hospital]; he was a charter member of the Oregon State Board of Health, appointed by Governor Chamberlain, and was three times president of the board. He was a life member of the Oregon State Medical Society and president of the organization, a fellow of the American College of Surgeons, by invitation. He helped organize the Southern Oregon Medical Association and the Jackson County Medical Association, and served as president of both.
For many years he was city health officer in Medford. He was mayor and an active participant in all progressive activities of the city. As a tree spreads its branches to increase the shade it offers to humanity, Dr. Pickel spread his inspiring personality into many fields. In 1932 he ended his work here; his magnolia lives on as does the memory of him.
Medford News, October 20, 1939, page 1 The "Pickel tree" survives, on the south side of the Jackson County Courthouse.
"Illusion of coolness on the warmest day. Stand directly underneath the magnolia tree on the south courthouse lawn and look up through the huge green leaves at the big creamy-white flowers. Thank you, Dr. Pickel, for once planting the same tree in your front yard, now an oil station on North Ivy St., just east of Hotel Medford."
Sallie Butler, "Sallying Forth," Medford News, July 14, 1950, page 6
Last revised September 20, 2018