STRUGGLE IN FIREGLENDALE, Or., Feb. 1--(Special.)--A coal oil lamp in O. P. Lane's residence exploded at 2 o'clock this morning, and three people are dead as a result of the fire which followed. The explosion occurred in one of the lower rooms of the house, where the wife, Mrs. Alice Lane, was being cared for through a serious attack of pneumonia by Miss [Olive] Cooper, a nurse from Medford. The house was instantly enveloped in flames, cutting off all escape by doors.
Nurse and Patient Are Enveloped in Blazing Oil.
CHILD BURNS WITH HOUSE
Frantic Husband Bears Wife Through a Window,
but She and Her Heroic Attendant Soon Die of Their Injuries.
Mr. Lane, who was asleep upstairs, rushed frantically down through the fire, and, after a heroic struggle, with the assistance of the nurse, succeeded in getting his wife through a window which he smashed out, all of them being terribly burned and cut by glass.
Turning to get little 2-year-old Benny, they found that no living body could withstand the terrible heat, and were compelled to give him up. His charred body was taken from the ruins four hours later.
Mrs. Lane, raging with fever, cut, burned and shocked, could not withstand the suffering and met death heroically but calmly at 4 o'clock this evening, after 14 hours of awful pain and suffering.
Miss Cooper, more calm and stoical, though suffering untold agony, survived until 6 o'clock this evening and passed away.
It was a sad funeral train that wound its way up the hill to the cemetery this afternoon to lay away the remains of little Ben, and it will he a sadder one tomorrow or next day when the devoted mother will be laid by his side.
Mrs. A. G. Hamilton, mother of the dead woman, is ill in the eastern end of the city, and is also in a critical condition from the shock of her daughter and grandchild's ending. It is feared she, too, will not survive.
Mr. Lane, the husband is frantic with grief and suffering as he watches over the bier of his wife, himself badly cut by glass and burned.
The property loss was probably $1500.
Oregonian, Portland, February 2, 1905, page 7
Chester Parker has taken a position as salesman with Karnes & Ritter. Mr. Parker is a very congenial young man and is popular with the people about town and will no doubt prove himself competent help in his new capacity.
W. P. Woods, lately of Ironton, Wis., who recently purchased two lots in southwest Medford from A. J. Stewart, has commenced the erection of a residence 32x24 in size, with an addition for a kitchen.
"City Happenings," Medford Mail, February 3, 1905, page 5
Mrs. Warren Bodge left Wednesday evening for Glendale, where her husband is engaged in the merchant tailoring business and where they expect to reside.
"Additional Local," Medford Mail, February 3, 1905, page 8
PRAISE FOR HEROIC NURSE.
Miss Cooper Gave Her Life in Vain Attempt to Save Her Charge.
GLENDALE, Or., Feb. 2.--(Special.)--Mrs. O. P. Lane, the second victim of the fire caused by a lamp explosion yesterday, was laid away by the side of her little boy in the Masonic cemetery this afternoon. The exercises at the church were conducted by Rev. J. R. Landsborough, and those at the grave by the Eastern Star, of which order she was a member and the present matron. Mrs. Lane was dearly beloved.
Miss Cooper, the latest victim, made a host of friends here during her brief stay in the capacity of nurse to Mrs. Lane, and praises of her heroic work to save her charge and the child are heard on every hand. The remains were taken to her home at Medford by the evening train.
Oregonian, Portland, February 3, 1905, page 5
Miss Josie Richardson, who has been employed as dressmaker in Medford during the winter, returned to her home, near Beagle, Thursday, accompanied by her brother, Milas.
Dressmakers in Silverton, circa 1910
"Beagle Items," Medford Mail, February 10, 1905, page 3
Real Estate Transfers.
R. Priddy to B. H. Whitehead, land in Wortman's add. to Medford . . . $100.00
W. D. Roberts to B. H. Whitehead, lots 1 [and] 2, Wortman's add. to Medford . . . 170.00
H. M. Coss to Reta Pridey, quitclaim deed, Medford . . . 1.00
A. J. Stewart to E. D. Elwood, lots 15, 16, blk 20, Medford . . . 2300.00
Medford Mail, February 10, 1905, page 3
Jas. Welch, of Paisley, Oregon, who was formerly a resident of Medford, stopped off in this city this week, on his way home from a trip to Portland.
Mr. and Mrs. W. H. Brown, of Charles City, Iowa, are in Medford, looking over the country with a view to locating. They are old-time acquaintances of our good townsman, E. C. Boeck.
Hose Everett, of Montana, is here visiting his nephew, Geo. Nichols. Mr. Everett was a resident of Southern Oregon in early days and left here in 1856, since which time he has not been in this section. The contrast between the Rogue River Valley of the '50s and the present state of affairs is very marked, but perhaps the fact that he last saw his nephew as a small boy and returns to find him a grandfather is as much an indication of the flight of time as anything else to Mr. Everett. Mr. Everett may possibly locate with us.
"Purely Personal," Medford Mail, February 10, 1905, page 4
The work of improving the city park has been progressing during the winter months in no small way. The basin for the fountain, in the center, has been put in; the stand pipe erected, and sewerage connections for the overflow have been made. The basin is of solid concrete, put in by G. W. Priddy, and is a very substantial piece of work. Gravel for the walks, four carloads of which was furnished by the Southern Pacific Company at a nominal sum, has been hauled and is now waiting to be spread. The park work so far has largely been under the supervision of Mayor E. B. Pickel.
Elbert Parker Watt, of Salem, died January 29th, at Dallas, Texas, where he was attending the London Conservatory of Music. He was a nephew of W. H. Parker, formerly county clerk of Jackson County, and once a citizen of Medford.
Attorney M. G. Hoge has carpenters at work this week building a fine conservatory to his house, on West Seventh Street. He is also completing other parts of the residence which were left unfinished.
Carl Crystal has sold his interest in the grocery firm of Brown & Crystal to his partner, L. B. Brown, and will leave next week with his family for Sebastopol, Calif., where he has purchased a fruit ranch.
"City Happenings," Medford Mail, February 10, 1905, page 5
F. E. Martin and wife called one day last week and took dinner, then went across the suspension bridge and in a very short time closed a deal with Mrs. Moore for her property in Medford, consideration $800. Mrs. Moore went to Medford and made all the arrangements to transfer the property.
"Eagle Point Eaglets," Medford Mail, February 17, 1905, page 3
J. Westerlund, representing the firm of Wm. Westerlund & Co., of Chicago. land and immigration agents, is in Medford this week, looking after the company's land interests here. This company own the Kelley place, four miles east from Medford, and have men at work putting out from seventy to eighty acres of apple trees. The company expect, as soon as possible, to plant 100 acres to fruit. This will make a fine orchard, and it will not be many years before handsome revenues will be realized from the sale of fruit grown thereon.
"Additional Local," Medford Mail, February 17, 1905, page 3
Wilmer Cartwright, who has been in the employ of D. B. Russell for several months past, has taken a position with the Medford Furniture Company.
George Trask, formerly a resident of Medford, but who for the past four years has been living in Chico, Calif., returned to the city this week and is now over in the Applegate country, where he expects to engage in mining.
"Purely Personal," Medford Mail, February 17, 1905, page 8
Pioneer Goes to Asylum.
MEDFORD, Or., March 25.--(Special.)--M. S. Damon, one of the oldest residents of Medford, was taken to the asylum at Salem this evening for treatment. He is a Civil War veteran nearly 80 years of age, and his trouble is due to senile debility. His son, L. M. Damon, accompanied him.
Sunday Oregonian, Portland, March 26, 1905, page 3
The ladies of the Lewis and Clark Club, of Medford, through their secretary, Mrs. M. L. Alford, have addressed a letter to each of the thirteen secret societies of the city, asking that these several societies each contribute a seat, or bench, for the city park. These notices were sent out the first of this week, since which time some of the lodges have met and have taken the matter up and have decided to procure a suitable seat. Those of the societies which have not as yet met will undoubtedly take the matter up at their first meeting. It was suggested at one of these lodge meetings that should the lodges decide to purchase a seat that they appoint a committee of three members, and that these several committees meet with a committee from the Lewis and Clark Club and jointly agree upon the style and cost of the seats to be procured. It would hardly be fair to the newer and smaller lodges if those older and wealthier ones were to procure an elaborate and costly seat, while they, the lesser ones, would have to, from necessity, procure a much more inexpensive one. The emblem or the initials of each order can be placed upon the seats, thus indicating the donor.
"City Happenings," Medford Mail, April 7, 1905, page 5
Miss Allie Wilson, of Medford, Or., is here on a visit to her sister, Mrs. C. E. Garfield, who has been seriously ill for some time. At present Mrs. Garfield is gradually improving.--East Solano River News.
"Oregonians in Southern California," Sunday Oregonian, Portland, April 9, 1905, page 27
JACKSON COUNTY'S FINE LOGSMEDFORD, Or., April 13.--(Special.)--Today at the request of the executive committee of the Lewis and Clark Exposition, the Iowa Lumber & Box Company, of Medford, shipped five logs which will be used for decorating purposes in the Forestry Building. The outside of the logs will be sawed into veneering, and the hearts, after receiving a high polish, will be used as pillars about the verandas of the building.
Fine Samples for Decorating Forestry Building Are Shipped.
The five logs represented five different varieties of timber grown in Jackson County, and came from the mills near Jacksonville. The logs were sugar pine, yellow pine, black oak, cedar and madrone.
Morning Oregonian, Portland, April 14, 1905, page 10
SPLITS JAW ON SIDEWALK
Drives His Teeth into His Head and Rests Easily.
MEDFORD, Or., May 26.--(Special.)--Claud Miles, aged about 19, fell from a second-story window on Seventh and Main [sic] streets, this morning about 4 o'clock, and was seriously injured. He struck on his face on the pavement, splitting the lower jaw at the chin and driving the front teeth in the upper jaw backward into his head. At present, he is resting easily, and no evidences of concussion of the brain have yet appeared.
Morning Oregonian, Portland, May 27, 1905, page 6
A. N. Baker, living outside the incorporate limits of Medford, on the west, has recently erected a very fine home. The house is 20x30 feet in size and two stories high. Mr. Baker has thirty-six acres of land, and the site he has chosen for his new home is a very pretty one, being surrounded by a fine grove of young oak trees.
"City Happenings," Medford Mail, July 7, 1905, page 5
The condition of the wooden sidewalks around town is causing more or less "language" and a whole lot of loose shoe soles. It does make a fellow pretty warm to catch the sole of his shoe upon a protruding nail in the walk, thereby requiring a trip to the shoemaker, or to be walking along the street with a friend and have his companion step on the end of a loose board which flies up and barks your shins and then drops back on your favorite corn. This sort of thing is getting to be a common occurrence, and it strikes us that it wouldn't be a bad idea to have those nails driven down and the loose boards fastened. It would lessen the labors of the recording angel and save a whole lot of shoe leather.
G. W. Priddy, the expert brickmaker, has a kiln of superior brick just burnt which he is selling at reasonable prices.
Contractor J. Hartman finished the railroad bridge across Bear Creek Saturday night, and it is now ready for the rails. The bridge is about as substantial a structure of the kind as one could wish for. It is built with a view to strength and lasting qualities. The timbers are all solid and are put together in the workmanlike manner for which Mr. Hartman is noticed. The bridge crew has been moved to the Butte Creek bridge, which they will push to completion rapidly.
On Friday evening of last week a number of young ladies of Medford gave a very pleasant dancing party in Wilson's opera house. There were about twenty couples present. The music was furnished by A. H. Miller, violinist, and Chas. E. Hazelrigg, pianist--and all kinds of choice bouquets were hurled at these two gentlemen because of the excellent music they furnished. The ladies in charge of affairs were Misses Jennie Woodford, Carrie George, Lulu Hartzell and Helen Ragsdale.
"City Happenings," Medford Mail, July 21, 1905, page 5
Among the minor industries recorded is the new cider vinegar factory at Medford. The history of the enterprise is suggestive.
"Three years ago a vinegar factory was started and several hundred barrels of cider were made, but the projectors were not conversant with the methods of turning the cider quickly into vinegar and were unable to secure anyone with the required knowledge. The process of changing from cider to vinegar by nature was too slow for commercial purposes, so the enterprise was abandoned and the plant and stock were sold to Ingham and Zimmer, who have been conducting a similar enterprise at Eugene. Now these gentlemen propose building an up-to-date, fully equipped cider vinegar factory in Medford, and are already making arrangements to that end. The necessary machinery and appliances are now on the way from the East, a site for the factory has been secured on the railroad company's lands, adjoining the Osenbrugge warehouse, and within a few days construction will commence on the building," says the Mail.
Process Is Simple.Expediting of the double fermentation necessary for turning apple juice into vinegar is accomplished by the introduction of ferments, which are not difficult to obtain. Some few years ago Professor Pernot, of the Oregon Agricultural College, published the necessary particulars. Experiment on a small but practical scale convinces that that process is both simple and sure. In the open barrel, three parts full of sweet cider, a very small quantity of the ferment culture was introduced, and nature did the rest. In a very few days the little black flies, which indicate and also hasten the conversion, made their appearance in quantities, and the double fermentation was shortly in evidence. Certainly the vinegar produced was of the very best. This, like home cheese-making, is one of the little industries of the farm which are economical, easy and profitable.
"Treasure from Oregon Fields," Morning Oregonian, Portland, July 31, 1905, page 12
At noon Monday, when a high wind was blowing, the sound of the fire bell sent a thrill of alarm throughout the city. The fierce wind, and the dryness on everything capable of being burned, made favorable conditions for a big conflagration. It was there that the wisdom of the Iowa Lumber & Box Co., in putting in fire fighting apparatus of their own, was made manifest. The fire was in the barn of the company, having caught from sparks supposed to have come from the ice plant, and within a very few minutes the company's hose cart was on the ground, playing a stream on the fire. The city department was prompt and arrived just as the fire was extinguished, but that few minutes, under the circumstances, might have given the fire such a start that it would have been impossible to save the building or surrounding ones.
"City Happenings," Medford Mail, November 3, 1905, page 5
A SERIOUS CONFLAGRATION
Monday afternoon about 2:30 o'clock, when the people had just about recovered from the fire alarm at noon, the old pork packing house, immediately north of the I.L.&B. Co. & mill, was discovered to be on fire. The building was old and dry, the walls and floor more or less saturated with grease, and besides it was filled with baled hay, so that by the time the fire boys reached the scene the whole building was a mass of flames. Even with adequate water pressure the firemen would have been unable to save the building or its contents. The high wind carried flaming brands many hundred feet, and soon the sawdust piles north of the building and the dry grass was in flames, seriously threatening several dwelling houses in range. So intense was the heat that it was impossible to get close to the fire. By hard work the barn in the same lot was saved, but the old factory and its contents were destroyed.
Most of the hay in the barn belonged to Chas. Pruitt and was uninsured. There were about 150 tons of it, and its loss will fall heavily upon the owners. The building belonged to Mrs. J. W. Slinger.
When the fire was first discovered the flames were just bursting through the roof, and it seems probable that the fire started inside the building from a spark which had found its way through some crevice and had fallen upon the hay. How this could have occurred is well illustrated by a happening at a dwelling house some several hundred feet north of the burned building. A number of citizens were engaged with buckets and other utensils in extinguishing incipient blazes on the roof, when someone suddenly discovered that there was a fire inside an outbuilding. There was a bale of hay inside this structure and it was blazing merrily when discovered. However a couple of buckets of water put it out. A Mail reporter happened to be curious enough to investigate the cause of the fire inside the building and could only find one small knothole in the wall through which a spark might have been driven by the wind.
Another theory is that it was the result of spontaneous combustion. This theory being borne out to some extent by the fact that the whole inside of the building was burning before the fire broke through the roof.
FIRE NOTES.Tyson Beall, of Central Point, was loading lumber in the lower yards [of Iowa Lumber and Box Co.] when the alarm came. He took no chances but unloaded the portion of his order that was on the wagon and made his way to a safe place.
The water force was lamentably insufficient. With the growth of the city the matter of an adequate and always ready water pressure becomes an absolute necessity. The present system is not sufficient. It has been tried several times and it is always found wanting.
The man who knows how a fire should be fought, but refrained from getting in any active work, was on hand with his advice.
There was a considerable amount of hustling done by the people of the neighborhood in keeping their roofs damp during the fire.
Had a north wind been blowing, there wouldn't have been many warehouses or lumber yards left in town.
Medford Mail, November 3, 1905, page 1