The Infamous Black Bird Southern Oregon History, Revised

Medford News: 1895

Medford-related news items from 1895. Also see descriptions of Medford and Jackson County for this year.

    J. W. Att, who conducts a meat market in this city, was arrested today on a warrant sworn out by Joe Deik, charging him with assault. He was taken before Justice Walton and fined $15 and costs, which he paid.

"Rogue River Road," Morning Oregonian, Portland, January 3, 1895, page 2

    The 12-year-old son of W. E. Finney met with an accident at Medford which will disable him for some time. He was playing on one of the numerous ice-covered ponds about town when he slipped and fell, seriously fracturing the right thigh bone. He was assisted home and Dr. Geary called to reduce the fracture. The boy will likely be disabled for several weeks by the misfortune.
"News of the Northwest," Morning Oregonian, Portland, January 3, 1895, page 4

    J. W. Wiley, of Medford, shipped another consignment of hogs from that point to 'Frisco. Medford is the great hog market of Southern Oregon.

"Late News Items," Capital Journal, Salem, January 4, 1895, page 3

    Sam'l. Willmott, of San Francisco, arrived in Medford last week and at once entered into negotiations with G. W. Bashford to take charge of the brewery department in his Southern Oregon Brewery. Work, such as cleansing casks and making malt, is now in progress at the brewery and within a couple of weeks brewing proper will commence.
    Architect Bennet has leased living rooms in the Halley Block and office room in the Hamlin Block. His family is now at Roseburg but will be here soon, and from the date of their coming they will be permanent residents of this city. Mr. Bennet's intentions are to make this his headquarters but he expects to do work in various parts of the valley.
Medford Mail, January 11, 1895, page 5

FOR SALE--TAILORING BUSINESS. Well established, at Medford, Oregon; value $500. For information address Tailor, box 154.
The Morning Call, San Francisco, January 19, 1895, page 7

    Mounce & Schermerhorn of Medford have dissolved partnership, I. A. Mounce continuing the business.
"Pressed Bricks," Valley Record, Ashland, January 24, 1895, page 1

    Geo. H. Tyler has become possessor of the Wirth Photo Co.'s gallery in Medford as well as the plant which he owned, in Ashland. Mr. Wirth is badly involved. Miss Cora Baldwin is in charge of the gallery in Ashland and Tyler is running things at Medford.
"Personal and Social," Valley Record, Ashland, January 24, 1895, page 3

    Geo.  H. Tyler, the photographer, went down to Medford last evening to look after his business there. Mr. Tyler now owns the Wirth gallery at Medford as well as the Tyler gallery in Ashland, both of which were recently conducted by the Wirth Photo Co.
"Personal," Ashland Tidings, January 24, 1895, page 3

    F. M. Mingus has had a new plank walk built at the Union Livery Stables and also made other improvements to the property.
    G. C. Wirth has rented a portion of the building occupied by attorney White and will represent an eastern picture-enlarging firm.
    W. I. Vawter was the fortunate individual to get the fine overcoat offered by A. Fetsch, the tailor, to the customer who would buy the most goods during 1894.
    L. B. Warner, agent of the Albany nursery, is selling a great many fruit trees, shrubbery, etc. He makes frequent visit to the county seat on business.
    The social entertainment given at the M.E. Church, South, on Monday evening, was a success. A large crowd was in attendance and the proceeds were about $20.
    Mrs. Wm. Ennis returned a few days since to her home at Yaquina Bay. Her husband will remain in this section for a while longer, as his health is much better in this altitude.
    J. A. Whiteside of Medford has been appointed by Representative Dunn clerk of the committee on mining. There are very few bills ever referred to this committee, and the people are rather curious to know how the clerk puts in his time to earn the salary.
Democratic Times, January 31, 1895, page 2

    Medford is improving, and aside from the number of bad things she is accumulating there is also some desirable institutions, the latest being a Y.M.C.A.
"Pressed Bricks," Valley Record, Ashland, January 31, 1895, page 1

Medford Items.
    That Medford will have a real live boom this year that will make the hair stand on end there is hardly any doubt. Among the buildings, besides Hotel Nash, will be a brick block by S. Rosenthal, the pioneer merchant; a two-story brick by W. B. Roberts with a possible third story by the K. of P. for a hall. W. H. Parker and Capt. Nash each contemplate the erection of elegant and costly residences.
Valley Record, Ashland, February 7, 1895, page 3

    A herd of wild cattle has been roaming the mountains between Rogue River and the south fork of the Umpqua in Oregon for twenty years, and it now numbers in the neighborhood of 500 cattle. They are wild as deer and difficult to approach. The practical harm they work is that gentle cattle belonging to farmers are enticed off and join this wild band. It is proposed to round them up and kill them.
"Animal Life," Oelwein Register, Oelwein, Iowa, February 7, 1895, page 2

    Thompson & Meeker are making a splendid display of fine goods for little money. Look as you pass bay.
    The oil tank for the Standard Oil Company's station has arrived and is being placed upon the brick foundation.
    William Johnson has rented the building formerly occupied by Fetsch's tailor shop, on Seventh Street, and will occupy the same with a restaurant in a few days. The rooms are now being fitted up. Mr. Johnson lately came from western Washington and is accompanied by I. Hansen. Mrs. Johnson is expected in a few days.
    C. C. Pletcher again calls your attention to the fact that he is here, permanently located in Medford for the practice of dentistry. He does all classes of dentistry in a neat and careful manner and does an artistic as well as a durable piece of work and with the least possible pain, which can only be proven by giving him a trial. Satisfaction guaranteed. Office in McAndrews block.

South Oregon Monitor, Medford, February 8, 1895, page 3

    Mrs. James Wright, of Roseburg, is making an extended visit with her daughter, Mrs. Wm. Churchman.
South Oregon Monitor, Medford, February 8, 1895, page 3

    J. S. Schott and S. L. Jessup of this city are preparing to give stereopticon entertainments at different points throughout the valley. They are well equipped and we predict a successful tour.
    W. L. Townsend removed his barber fixtures to a room on Front Street yesterday afternoon. The room formerly occupied as a barber shop in the hotel building will be utilized by the proprietors for accommodations in connection with the house.
    C. C. Pletcher again calls your attention to the fact that he is here, permanently located in Medford for the practice of dentistry. He does all classes of dentistry in a neat and careful manner and does an artistic as well as a durable piece of work and with the least possible pain, which can only be proven by giving him a trial. Satisfaction guaranteed. Office in McAndrews block.
South Oregon Monitor, Medford, February 12, 1895, page 3

    RUNAWAY ACCIDENT.--F. M. Mingus met with an accident Friday evening which has confined him to his home most of the time since. While returning from Gold Hill with two companions his team became unmanageable and he was thrown to the ground and run over by the buggy. The accident occurred at a bad place on the hill just this side of that town, and Mr. Mingus was badly bruised about the head and on his side. The injuries are not severe, however, and he will be around attending his livery business again in a day or two.

South Oregon Monitor, Medford, February 12, 1895, page 3

    Al Strobridge left on the northbound train Sunday evening for a trip to his old home in Michigan.
    Mrs. W. J. Plymale, accompanied by her daughter Miss Mary, went to Salem Saturday evening to remain until the close of the legislative session.
"Personal," South Oregon Monitor, Medford, February 12, 1895, page 3

    A. Fetsch, the Medford tailor, has moved to Grants Pass and gone in business with his brother.
"Pressed Bricks," Valley Record, Ashland, February 14, 1895, page 1

    Buy your cigars, tobaccos and candies at Lee Cown's, opposite opera house.
    The county court has established the following rates of peddler's license: 2-horse vehicle, 3 months, $20; 1-horse vehicle, 3 months, $15; 1 pack animal, 3 months, $10; foot peddler, 3 months, $5. They are entitled to a license for a shorter period of time by paying to the county treasurer 25 cents per day.
South Oregon Monitor, Medford, February 15, 1895, page 3

    S. L. Jessup and J. S. Schott went to Talent Wednesday, where they gave a stereopticon entertainment in the evening which was well attended.
    Mrs. D. High of Ashland, who has been visiting at the home of her parents, Mr. and Mrs. F. B. Barneburg of this city, returned home Wednesday morning.
    Misses Etta Medynski, Minnie Worman, Jessie Benson, Edith Van Dyke and Messrs. Robert Faucett and E. E. Van Antwerp, of Medford, are among the applicants for teacher's certificate at Jacksonville.
"Personal," South Oregon Monitor, Medford, February 15, 1895, page 3

    NEW LAW FIRM.--Capt. W. S. Crowell has purchased an interest in the legal business of attorney W. H. Parker and entered into a partnership with him for the practice of law. Mr. Parker has been practicing his profession here for some years and been a resident of Jackson County many more, consequently is widely known. Mr. Crowell has been residing near Medford about two years, arriving here from five years' service as U.S. Minister at one of the ports of China. Previous to receiving the appointment to that position he had for many years enjoyed a lucrative law practice at his old home in Ohio. He stands well with the profession, and his large experience will add to the public confidence in the new firm.
South Oregon Monitor, Medford, February 15, 1895, page 3

    NEW FIRM.--John W. Thomason and Jas. Gilchrist have formed a partnership and purchased the interest of T. A. Ireland in the Clarenden Hotel. The firm will be known as Thomason & Gilchrist, and as the gentlemen are experienced hotel men, are well assured of a successful business.
South Oregon Monitor, Medford, February 15, 1895, page 3

    Mr. and Mrs. G. W. Needham have sold their beautiful home in this city, and will depart in a few days for Medford, Or., where they expect to reside in future.

"Society: Vancouver," Sunday Oregonian, Portland, February 17, 1895, page 10

    The second-hand store of John H. Morris was broken into last night and a number of articles taken. Among them are three revolvers, six knives and a Winchester rifle. Entrance was effected by breaking the glass in the front windows. No clue has yet been discovered which would lead to the identity of the burglars, although every effort is being taken to apprehend them.
"Another Globe-Trotter," Morning Oregonian, Portland, February 18, 1895, page 3

    W. H. McGowan is making preparations for putting in a complete stock of groceries with his China Bazaar.
    It is reported that gray wolves, driven from the mountains by the snow, have been heard in the neighborhood of Prospect.
    School Clerk Garl T. Jones is taking the census of this district, as required by the law providing for apportionment of state school funds.
    J. H. Norris, who has been a resident of Medford only a few months, has purchased an interest in the hardware store of J. Beek & Son, and the firm will hereafter be known as J. Beek & Co.
    The big patent from the United States to the Oregon & California railroad company has been placed on record in the recorder's office at Jacksonville. It fills over twenty pages of the records and includes 152,4099.43 [sic] acres.
    The Y.M.C.A. held their regular meeting at the M.E. Church South last Sunday afternoon and will continue to meet at the same place every Sunday afternoon at 4 o'clock until other arrangements are provided.
    O. U. Husted, of Central Point, was in Medford the first of the week. U. M. Damon has the agency for Mr. Husted's system of electric bells, and that gentleman was here to assist in putting in two services. I. A. Mounce and E. Wilkinson each had bells put in their business places.
South Oregon Monitor, Medford, February 19, 1895, page 3

Store Burglarized.
    The second-hand store of J. Morris on the west side near the Clarenden Hotel was entered by burglars last Saturday night and about $20 worth of goods stolen.
    The discovery was not made until Sunday morning, and the thieves had ample time to cover their tracks leaving no clue.
    The articles taken, according to Mr. Morris' statement, were three revolvers, a Winchester rifle and a lot of spoons and knives. Marshal Churchman is making an effort to apprehend the robbers. This is the first burglary reported to the Medford officials for several months.

South Oregon Monitor, Medford, February 19, 1895, page 3

    STOCK SOLD.--Assignee D. T. Lawton has sold the stock of groceries in the Wilson store to W. H. McGowan & Co. This firm has moved them to the stand occupied by the China Bazaar opposite the Clarenden Hotel, and will add to the stock. The fixtures of the Wilson store have not yet been sold, and the assignee states that it will be at least three months before final settlement is completed.

South Oregon Monitor, Medford, February 19, 1895, page 3

    BORN.--Neil H. West, a former resident of this city but now a sturdy rancher of Reno, Nevada, was presented by his wife, Mrs. Julia West, on the 14th inst. with a 10½-pound girl baby valentine.

South Oregon Monitor, Medford, February 19, 1895, page 3

    VETERINARY SURGEON.--Dr. G. M. McDonald has located at Medford permanently. During the next few weeks he can be found at the Hotel Medford or either of the livery stables in this city. After that time his headquarters will be at the fairgrounds racetrack near Central Point, although he will make regular trips to accommodate the Medford practice. His work so far has shown that he has a thorough understanding of his profession, being unusually successful.

South Oregon Monitor, Medford, February 19, 1895, page 3

    Mr. and Mrs. G. W. Needham departed last Tuesday for Medford, Or., where they expect to reside in future.
"Out of Town: Vancouver," Sunday Oregonian, Portland, February 24, 1895, page 10

    Mrs. Sarah Justus, wife of George R. Justus, died at her home at Medford Thursday evening of heart disease. She had done the washing and cooked supper, of which she ate heartily. Soon afterward, she said to her husband that she would make her mother a dress. She started to cut out the cloth, but complained of feeling faint, and died immediately. She was twice married. Her first husband, George McKnight, died here of heart disease about 15 years ago. She leaves a grown son by her first husband and an adopted daughter.

"Little Boys and Gunpowder," Morning Oregonian, Portland, February 25, 1895, page 3

    Medford is to be blessed with a new band.
"Late News Items," Capital Journal, Salem, February 26, 1895, page 2

    The diphtheria cases at Medford and Phoenix are being treated by the anti-toxin method, a bottle of the serum having been procured in Portland, and the result is highly gratifying.

"News of the Northwest," Morning Oregonian, Portland, February 28, 1895, page 4

    CLARK.--Died, at the home of his son, J. A. Clark, in Big Bend, Feb. 21st, Reuben Clark, aged 88 years, 8 months and 21 days. Deceased was born in Shutesbury, Mass. April 30th 1806, and emigrated to Ludlow, Vermont, at the age of 18 years. He was married Dec. 2, 1828 to Lucy K. Dodge, daughter of Moses Dodge of Andover, Vermont, with whom he lived fifty-one years, more than thirty years of which was spent in Rutland County. In 1862 he emigrated to Wisconsin, where several of his children were settled, and made a home in Big Bend. He was a constant attendant of the Free Baptist church, where he partook of communion a short time previous to his death. He leaves fifty-six living descendants, and the children who still survive are Mrs. H. P. Jackson of Lebanon, Dakota; B. F. Clark of Beulah; Carrie Damon of Medford, Oregon; Emeline Jackson of Muskego; W. R. Clark, J. A. Clark and Miss L. A. Clark of Big Bend.
"Deaths," Waukesha Freeman, Waukesha, Wisconsin, February 28, 1895, page 1

    Dr. E. B. Pickel, of Medford, Ore., was the first doctor in Oregon to use antitoxin in a case of diphtheria, securing a supply of the product from Dr. Mingus, of this city.
"Personals," The Medical Sentinel, Portland, 1895, page 207

   The Medford brewery has started up again, after being idle several months.
"Oregon," Omaha Daily Bee, Nebraska, March 4, 1895, page 5

    The well in Odd Fellows cemetery at Medford is down 246 feet and still there is not enough water to supply the demands of a windmill, but the lodge has given orders to go deeper and keep going until a sufficient supply of water is found. The well has cost thus far $371.25.

"Northwest News Items," Capital Journal, Salem, March 6, 1895, page 2

    There is another dry goods and grocery establishment in Medford, or at least there will be one in a few days. The new firm is made up of W. L. and P. J. Halley, and firm name and style will be "Halley Bros." Their place of location is in the McAndrews block--recently vacated by the big T store. Tuesday morning workmen were at work removing partitions and calcimining the walls. A large amount of the new firm's goods are already here, and about March 15th they will be placed on the shelves and counters and in shape for inspection--and sales will then open, or at least the boys hope they will.
    Get a sack of Snowball flour--Lumsden & Berlin, grocers, our agents.
    A little precaution sometimes, in fact ofttimes, prevents a considerable amount of unnecessary inconvenience and perturbance. In this line of thought we want to suggest to the people of this city that it would, right at the present time, be a very sane idea not to use the water from the city water works for laundry use or any other domestic purposes so long as there remains a case of diphtheria at Phoenix. The water used by the city is taken from Bear Creek and flows through the above place, and it is possible that germs diphtheric may be contained therein. As a precaution don't let's use it, for a few weeks at least.
    M. Purdin, ex-landlord at Hotel Medford, who is now in California, has decided to return to Medford and ply his vocation of former days, that of blacksmithing, he having purchased G. F. Merriman's tools of trade. Mr. Merriman, we understand, will leave for Salem, his new home, in about two weeks.
"News of the City," Medford Mail, March 8, 1895, page 5

    Medford has a board of trade, Captain Crowell, president; J. A. Whitman, secretary.

Capital Journal, Salem, March 9, 1895, page 1

    Medford school district is $10,633 in debt.

"Northwest News Items," Capital Journal, Salem, March 12, 1895, page 2

    Near Medford, last Wednesday, a 4-months-old baby of Mr. and Mrs. George Garrett was lying in a rocking chair near the fireplace, in which a hot fire was burning, when another child, 2 years old, came up from behind and tipped baby, chair and all into the fire. The child was quickly rescued, but not until one side of its face and neck were badly burned. For a time it was feared the child would not live, but it is now improving.

"Northwest News Items," Capital Journal, Salem, March 27, 1895, page 1

    Spence Childers is making ready to manufacture brick in quantities great in number. This week he received a Kells & Son brick machine, which has a capacity of 20,000 brick per day. The machine arrived Tuesday and was taken at once to the brick yard, east of Medford, where in about ten days' time it will begin grinding. The machine is so constructed that very little water is required in its use, in consequence of which the customary drying process is done away with, the brick only requiring about two days' airing while stacked up in "hacks" before they are ready for the kiln. Mr. Childers will operate the machine with steam power, he having rented Mr. Cock's engine for that purpose. Twelve men will be employed. A kiln of 20,000 will at once be gotten ready for burning, after which a second one to contain from 400,000 to 500,000 will be filled and burned.
"News of the City," Medford Mail, March 29, 1895, page 5

Notes from East Medford.
    While every individual spot in Medford is taking on some new garment of beauty and improvement this spring it is a noticeable fact that East Medford is a pace or two in advance of some other localities. A brief mention of the condition of affairs as they exist east of the Bear Creek bridge would doubtingly be of interest to many of our readers. With this thought in mind a Mail reporter wandered thitherward last week, and this is what he found:
    The first place on the right as we cross the bridge is where W. D. Beidleman, the harness maker, has an eight-acre tract of land, well fenced, well cultivated and in excellent condition for small fruits and vegetables. The house is occupied by Mr. Belknap.
    Next east from this is an eight-acre reserve owned by P. B. O'Neil. This is a fine building place, and many admiring glances are cast that way by the gentle sex as they pass. It seems a little strange that Barney should reserve one of the best home sites on that side of the river, unless he has some designs upon the affections of some of Medford's fair daughters.
    H. Tripp is next east with an eight-acre tract, which he is fitting up in splendid shape. He is at present living in a building which will eventually serve as his barn. During the coming summer he will erect a fine dwelling house on his property--one that will be an ornament to any locality. The gentleman is putting out several fruit trees and much shrubbery this spring. His will be a beautiful home when fitted up as mapped out.
    J. S. Hagey has the adjoining eight-acre tract. Upon this he has erected a small dwelling--to be the kitchen part of his proposed new residence--and a large barn. The place is well put out to fruit trees. These grounds are being well cared for, and if persistent efforts, money and a good soil can make a home of beauty, his will be such an one.
    Next east is an unimproved acre tract owned by J. R. Brown, and alongside of this is Perry Stewart's place, of two acres. Mr. S. has recently built a new house on his property, and in due time he will be strictly in the surf with his neighbors, with fruit trees and flower garden galore.
    Mr. Shott has the adjoining acreage, upon which is a small dwelling, fruit trees and a vegetable crop. The place is now occupied by T. J. Lewis, the miner, who is one of the best informed gentlemen upon mining matters in these parts and who has traveled extensively throughout the mining districts of nearly the entire world--and is nothing slow in proclaiming this is the garden spot for the product of the golden fruit. He now owns a rich mine west of Medford about eight miles.
    Hy-as ty-ee Betseyannspikes John R. Hardin lives next east, and is at home to all friends. His place embraces two and a half acres of land, and it is well cultivated and planted to fruit trees and shrubbery. He has a fine residence and is daily adding improvements to his splendid home. John is a miner in every sense of the word, and turns many an honest dollar to good use from that direction. His congeniality knows no bounds, and he continues to make new friends.
    One notch farther east is the four-and-a-half-acre tract owned by G. P. Lindley. Upon this place Mr. Lindley has built a fine large residence, to which he has recently added a 14x18-foot addition. His other buildings are in keeping with the dwelling, and the entire surroundings show plainly the marks of the gentleman's industrious hand. Walks have been laid, fruit trees set out, and all is a promise of much beauty.
    The Russ nursery comes next, but it is too elaborate an institution to give mention of in connection with this brief writeup.
    Next week we will round up the people on the north side of East Medford's main street.
Medford Mail, March 29, 1895, page 8

    Report reaches us that boys, who would like to be men, and who want to act like men--real bad ones--are in the habit of congregating in old sheds and various other unused buildings about the city, and there put in their time playing poker; of course in a mild way, with only a nickel ante, but the habit is sufficiently alluring to take the boys from their homes and make gamblers of them. Parents should exercise the greatest possible vigilance in this matter and break up these little gatherings, which if diligently followed up cannot fail to result disastrously to the young men of our city.
    Hon. J. D. Whitman suggests that it would be a good business proposition for the fruit growers of the valley to unite and thoroughly test the efficiency of smudging for the protection of fruit from possible frosts. If all were to prepare for such an occasion by piling straw, manure or brush through and along the sides of their orchards, and when the thermometer reached a certain degree at which frosts might reasonably be expected to appear, touch[ing] a match to the heaps, a cloud of smoke would o'erspread the valley that would keep back a frost of more than ordinary severeness.
"News of the City," Medford Mail, April 5, 1895, page 5

Notes from East Medford.
    Last week time and space put up the bars against our finishing the brief writeup of East Medford which that locality so richly deserves and which we had promised our many readers thereabouts. We fixed up the south side of that part of town last week. We will begin our return to the city on the north side--first assuring our readers that none of the beauty and general worth of the locality has fallen away from itself during our week's rest.
    The first place we come in contact with is the very fine ten-acre tract of land owned by S. W. Speas. Upon this property is situated a very snug little residence, something of a farmhouse style, and located upon a slight eminence surrounded with other buildings in keeping with the general neat appearance there abounding. The gentleman has a splendid orchard, all of which is now bearing fruit. This property is on the market in tracts of from one to five acres--and a most desirable purchase it will be for he who gets any part of it.
    Next west is a two-acre tract owned by J. C. Ferguson and recently purchased from Mr. Speas. Upon this Mr. Ferguson will erect a dwelling house during the coming summer.
    One of the largest and most beautiful residences in all Medford is situated adjoining Mr. Ferguson's property, the same being the home of attorney G. W. White. The gentleman has 2½ acres of land which he is now fitting in splendid shape for nature to put on the finishing touches of beauteous green. In speaking of Mr. White's residence we could not do it justice if less space than half a column of type was taken; suffice it to say that it is a structure of much beauty, convenience and grandeur throughout. It was built last summer at an expense not small in figures, but its appearance and general usefulness of today evens up with the expense very nicely.
    L. G. Porter's home comes next in the line of our progression. Mr. Porter has five acres of land, all under splendid cultivation, and well set to fruit and shrubbery, and all carefully cared for. His residence is not as large as his immediate neighbors, but it is equally as beautiful and quite as convenient.
    Merchant Wm. Angle's large new house looms up most prominent and grand next in our path. This residence, like most others on the east side of the river, is new, fresh and beautiful, while the surroundings are being put in excellent shape both in way of added beauty and wealth of productions of fruits. Mr. Angle can justly lay claim to a home second to none. He has 2½ acres of land, all of which is under splendid cultivation.
    Adjoining Mr. Angle's home is an acre tract of land owned by B. F. Crouch and upon which he soon expects to build.
    In the interval of our writeup last week and this week one new residence has been built on the south side of the street, by Mrs. Butler, recently from Harrisburg.
Medford Mail, April 5, 1895, page 8

    Miss Alta Brous, of Medford, Oregon, is visiting her uncle, A. H. Brous, for a few weeks.
"Prairie City," Newton Record, Newton, Iowa, April 5, 1895, page 10

Grand Opening.
    Goldstein & Nudelman, the proprietors of the Eastern Second Hand Store, are prepared to sell you anything in the line of second-hand goods. They also have a large line of new house furnishing goods, which they will sell at lowest cash prices. Store, corner of Eighth and F streets, south of Clarendon Hotel.
Medford Mail, April 12, 1895, page 5

    There is some talk of establishing a circulating library in Medford. That all cities the size of this need such an article isn't questioned, but the how to get it is a problem difficult to solve. It has been suggested that a subscription paper be started and, if an amount equal to $200 can be raised, start the library with this amount and add to it as money can be secured from various other sources. There is no doubt but that a library would be self-sustaining, in fact, it ought to return a revenue. This amount could be applied to the purchase of new books and ere many years had been numbered with those already gone we could have a library of which each of us would be proud. Perhaps some of our people would make donations of books to the library, or perhaps they would loan a few copies of different works. Agent Lippincott and attorney Crowell are fathering the library proposition, and any suggestions or donations you have to offer will be received by these gentlemen.
    Photographer H. L. Miser has been taking pictures of other people's babies for a time without date, but now there is an opportunity given for him to do a little work of this nature in his own family. Last Saturday there arrived at his home "one of the cutest little subjects" for a picture in the city--a girl baby, and all parties are happy and healthy, and H. L. is a "bigger man as Grant."
    The ad of Mackey, the photographer, appears in another column of today's Mail. The gentleman is here for a couple of months' stay, during which time he will give our people a chance to procure some of his excellent work. He comes well recommended, both as an artist and a gentleman of strict, honorable business principles. See the tent, near the Clarendon Hotel.
"News of the City," Medford Mail, May 10, 1895, page 5

    There was a right smart skirmishing of people off of the streets last Saturday when C. Mingus & Son's team came prancing around the corner of W. H. Meeker's store, hitched to a gravel wagon. Frank Mingus and Will Ferguson were hauling gravel with the team when a fool notion happened to catch them just right (the horses), and they started to run. They rounded Meeker's brick store very nicely and removed the underpinning from that gentleman's street display stands. When in front of I. A. Webb's furniture store they collided with an awning post and there left the hind wheels of the wagon and Will Ferguson. The latter was thrown about a rod and struck on his head and shoulder in the street, but fortunately received no serious injuries. The team took the fore wheels of the wagon out on Seventh Street at a very swift pace, and when they arrived at the M.E. Church, South, they began gyrating about that edifice like they were bent on corralling all possible of that which is good, as a standoff for the evil doin's they had been a-doin'. The team was uninjured.
    There is something in the atmosphere of Medford which seems to have a bad effect upon the equine populace of this Hub City of ours as well as those of the same family who come "a-visitin' of us." Saturday evening a couple of the Mayborn boys were driving down Seventh Street when "without cause or provocation" their horse began bucking and kicking, about two kicks to each buck--and the bucks were right close together, and so severe were the kicks that the dash, thills and headboard of the buggy were cycloned, as it were, into kindling wood. No damage further than as above stated. The horse was caught in doing its double shuffle kick act. Another horse escapade was "cut up" Tuesday morning when a team belonging to Thos. Baldwin, of Brownsboro, while standing in front of Wolters' grocery store, took a flying leap into a distant uncertainty and didn't land squarely into a condition to be easily handled until they had torn up the dust for about a mile out on the Jacksonville road. No particular damage.
   Speaking of the aroma from ripe apples reminds us that it was nothing of so wholesome a nature that came from the rear of Hotel Medford [the Nash] last week, during the process of removing refuse matter and the accumulation of a dozen or more back number closets. The building of the new hotel will positively have one good effect--that of disinfecting that particular locality, but it would have been more agreeable to the denizens of this little city had the work of removing this refuse been performed at night, when the streets were not filled with people and when the warm rays of sun would not be there to encourage a greater unpleasantness. However, the work is done and we are all glad, not only of the cleansing, but of the occasion which brought it about.
    It was a nice little compliment which the Mitchell, Lewis & Staver Company a few weeks ago paid their local agent at this place, Mr. D. T. Lawton, it being that of appointing him general superintendent of all their business in Oregon south of Roseburg. Mr. Lawton is a very capable gentleman, and his appointment to this more responsible position is a deserved tribute to his excellent business qualifications. The change keeps him on the road between the various local agencies the greater part of the time. The company, he reports, is doing a fine business this spring.
    The Medford public school will graduate a class of fourteen this year. Following are the members of the class: E. Maud Johnson, W. A. Squires, James Stewart, Lawson G. Bradley, Walter D. Cofer, Carl J. Crystal, Francis M. Barnes, Orton H. Wiley, M. Grace Amann, Virgie A. Woodford, Jess G. Wait, John G. Van Dyke, Edith A. Van Dyke, M. Maysie Foster. John G. Van Dyke has been chosen salutatorian and Walter A. Squires valedictorian. The graduating exercises will be held at the opera house on the evening of Friday, May 31st.
    If you see "Studebaker" printed on the box, that wagon is all right. J. A. Whitman, Medford, sells Studebaker wagons, carriages, hacks and surreys.
    The new school district, east of Medford, which has been christened Morton, began its first term of school last Monday with seventeen pupils in attendance and Miss May Earhart as teacher. A new school house has been built, and everything is moving along nicely.
    Saloon building, billiard table and saloon fixtures for rent. Inquire of S. A. D. Higgins, Medford.
    The Jacksonville Times is responsible for the assertion that "Jimmie" Murray, the painter, has gone to California and left unpaid bills in Jacksonville. He is a brother of Charlie Murray of this place. We didn't figure he would do that sort o' thing.
    Fine chicken dinner at Star Restaurant every Sunday--for families.
"News of the City," Medford Mail, May 17, 1895, page 5

   There is an ordinance which prohibits cows running at large within the city limits of Medford, yet many of our people are compelled to build boxing about the young trees they set out along the street in front of their places of residence. The ordinance made to keep cows off the streets ought to be enforced. A law not enforced is worse than no law, because that people expect their property to be protected by it and do not apply the precaution they would if no such law existed. 
"News of the City,” Medford Mail, May 31, 1895, page 5

    Marcus E. Jones left Thursday for Medford, Ore., in which place he will make his future home.
"South Whitley, Ind.," Fort Wayne Gazette, Indiana, May 19, 1895, page 2

    Marcus E. Jones left Thursday for Medford, Ore., in which place he will make his future home.
"South Whitney, Ind.," Fort Wayne Weekly Gazette, Fort Wayne, Indiana, May 23, 1895, page 12

    Sam'l. Murry has severed his connections with the Southern Oregon Pork Packing Company and is soon going to commence selling goods from a wagon among the farmers of the valley, his line being dry goods and groceries--in fact a general business of buying and selling among the ranchers. E. W. Tryer has taken the position with the S.O.P. Company vacated by Sam.
    Saloon building, billiard tables and saloon fixtures for rent. Inquire of S. A. D. Higgins, Medford.
    Wolters, the grocer, is laying in a large stock of fruit jars, which jars are to be sold so reasonable that they will not jar the purses of purchasers to any great extent. Charlie is always alive to the desires of his customers, of whom there are not a few, and which number is increasing daily, because--he treats everybody alike, and square.
    Wm. Barnum is building a 13x36 addition to his planing mill, the same to be used as an engine room. Mr. Barnum has men at work placing the twenty-five-horsepower engine formerly used by Skeel & Son.

    Work on Hotel Nash is being pushed ahead at a rapid pace. The second story wall is being put up this week, and by another Saturday night the brick work ought to be very nearly completed.
    Rev. E. L. Thompson of McMinnville will address the Y.M.C.A. at the opera house next Sunday at 4 o'clock p.m. The Gore Bros. quartet will furnish one or more musical selections.
If anyone was to tell you that D. H. Miller is not going to have a gem of a home when his recent improvements are completed, you can call them prevaricators without a fear of contradiction.
    The hose company ordered a fire bell yesterday.  It is to cost about $100 and will weigh 800 pounds.  Of the above amount the hose company pays $36, and the town the balance.
    W. E. Phipps was brought before Recorder Webb Wednesday and fined $10 and cost, amounting to $13.50, for carrying concealed weapons. He pled guilty and paid his fine.
    G. W. Priddy will do the mason work on D. B. Soliss' farm residence; A. P. Green will do the painting and Klippel & Marcuson will furnish the lumber.
"News of the City," Medford Mail, May 24, 1895, page 5

    Mr. and Mrs. Francis Fitch of Medford, Or., registered yesterday at the Lick. Mr. Fitch is an attorney and a son of the "silver-tongued orator," Tom Fitch.
"Personal," The San Francisco Call, May 27, 1895, page 6

   When Medford "fellers" run themselves short of ways and means to provoke a little sport it must be when the temperature is decidedly chilly. Last week they were running short of material to work upon and there was a chance for a big gap to appear in their before-unbroken program when a happy thought showed itself upon the inventive surface of their fertile brains. Over in Hamilton & Palm's real estate office office U. M. Damon has displayed several varieties of electric call bells, which goods he is selling. These bells were brought into use in perpetrating their jokes. An unsuspecting gentleman passing on the street would be invited in to look at the workings of the bells and by invitation he would press one one of the buttons and a call number would show itself in the glass front. This, the crowd, which was standing around, would declare was "call for beer." By prearrangement Dave Crosby, one of the caterers for Hotel Medford [predecessor to the Nash Hotel, at Main and Front streets], would be standing on the corner by the hotel and at a given signal by someone standing in Hamilton & Palm's office he would at once proceed to draw a bucket of beer and forthwith appear in the aforesaid office with his several rounds of beverage, and with the remark--"who rang for this beer?" The victim always paid for the treat and not until five rounds of treats had been indulged in did the passerby come to the conclusion that the opposite side of the street was a safer and more economical thoroughfare. The Mail is not, ordinarily, given to biting at another man's game, as Charlie Wolters will attest, but this one seemed so easy that one of its publishers walked right in--and pushed the button. "Rosy" [haberdasher Simeon Rosenthal] was another of the victims, but he likes those things--so long as the boys have fun.
"News of the City," Medford Mail, June 14, 1895, page 8

Kicks That the Kicker Has to Make.
    I notice several of our merchants have been industriously at work this week cleaning up about the back doors of their places of business and decorating the fronts with flags and bunting. No kick on that. It's a sensible idea.
    I have a kick coming on some sidewalks of this city, and about the only way there seems to be to square myself will be to take that kick out on the protruding nail heads and ends of planks that clear the supposedly level surface by from two to six inches. There is need of repairs.
    "These are hard times," I hear a farmer say. Well, it is little wonder when you throw away your ashes and grease and buy soap; when you allow the manure to accumulate about your barns--and your fields in actual need of it; when you catch five-cent fish with a $4 rod; when you send your son out with a $40 gun and $20 dog to hunt 15-cent game. Your fathers didn't do this sort of thing--and they didn't cry hard times, because they didn't expect so much of the world as we do. They were content with much less--their notions were not as high strung as ours, but they all told us they were happy--we are not.
    Brevity is acknowledged the soul of wit. That being the case, the Kicker has compiled these brevities: Minister, have you a sermon to preach? Make it short. Lawyer, have you an argument to present? Make it short. Funny man, have you a joke to tell? Make it short. Ladies, have you pie crust or dresses to make? Make 'em short. Young man, have you marriage engagement on hand? Make it short. Obituary writers and presidents, make your messages short. It is not necessary to advise bank cashiers as to their accounts. They are sure to make them short.
    Sunday was a pretty warm day, as almost everyone will admit. The shady side of an oak and a cool draft from the "old oaken bucket" were hailed as treasures, but because the day was warm and a cool drink of water refreshing, there is no reason why the horse we drive or ride does not feel the heat and long for that cool drink--which he don't always get. I saw a young man ride up to a pump in this city Sunday, dismount and take several draughts of nature's cool beverage, but the horse, heated and dust-covered, got not a drop to moisten its dry lips. Such treatment is inhuman, and a man who will thus treat his horse is a man only in stature.
    "America for Americans." No kick on that. Medford for Medford people. No kick there, either; but the principle is not carried out to the limit of entirety. A Medford man's dollar which is going to be expended in the construction of new buildings, improving sidewalks and streets, is not the full value of the dollar to the city unless a Medford laboring man is given an opportunity to earn it. The business man or capitalist who employs mechanics from other towns to do his work is not building up a feeling of friendship among the less fortunate laborers at home that will strew his pathway with roses. Rose bushes have thorns, and if when gathering the fragrant flowers the gatherer insists upon taking bush and all, he must expect that the thorns will prick him. This is a free country, this America; but a fellow in exercising that freedom born of a loyal and independent people must use that discretion which is supposed to be innate with us all. Medford has mechanics in nearly all the several lines. They are capable men, honest and law-abiding, and there is a rivalry existing between them that demands a very keen, close figuring in preparing estimates upon construction work, in consequence of which no person is going to be "fleeced" who gives them a contract. The Kicker don't like to see things go otherwise--Medford for Medfordites. Let each town or city look after the interests of its own people. This is Medford and we are living inside the corporate limits of the city, and we have no right to go outside these limits to procure that which can be had inside, provided, of course, that our neighbors do not intrude upon the generosity which we feel we ought to extend.
Medford Mail, June 28, 1895, page 4

    W. M. Smith, better known as "Tennessee," dispatched several boxes of early peaches to Klamath Falls Wednesday. Shipments will not commence to any great extent until after the Fourth.

"News of the City," Medford Mail, June 28, 1895, page 5

    Little Guy Lawton, son of councilman J. W. Lawton, fell from a tree Monday and cut his forehead quite severely, but not seriously.
    John Bigham, living out on Dr. Adkins' place, south of Medford, has entered a complaint that the small boys who go bathing in the river near his place are making themselves too familiar with his potato patch. He has the identity of the lads written where he will not forget it, and if they do not let loose of his potato vines, and stay loose, he will have them before Judge Walton.
    The new ads this week are those of J. A. Eggers, contractor and builder, who is working himself squarely into a good business--by good work and square deals; Jack Morris, the second hand dealer, also space for that fist of his; the Aloha evaporator is as well out with a blooming little ad informing the fruit growers that he is better equipped than ever to take care of their interests in a fruit way.
    Merchant Rosenthal is justly proud of his new store and hall--as "Rosy" says, "the finest hall west of Philadelphia." Messrs. Shawver & Nicholson put the front in Wednesday, and a very pretty one it is--from the Schermerhorn planing mill. Butler & Green are doing the painting--and these able artists are doing it immense. The hall is large, well lighted and arranged especially for the use of the Masons and Knights of Pythias.

    Merchant I. A. Webb has been in bed several days this week and the family physician has been giving him a goodly amount of attention--all of which was required; and court plaster, bandages and splints have been the predominating household commodities for a time equal to the days of illness. Mr. Webb is really not sick but he is a badly disfigured community and it came about like this: Last week one day Dr. Pickel and himself were "jogging" their wheels on the new bicycle track--and "jogging" rather swiftly, when Mr. Webb's wheel struck a stone--and the rider struck the ground very forcibly and for nearly one full turn of the track he continued to plow mother earth with his proboscis and other parts of his anatomy. He was gathered up and brought home and is improving all right, but he was a badly broke up man--his face, hands and limbs all being badly bruised and the cuticle removed. Since the mishap the gentleman is wont to awaken during the night and sermonize. During one of these spells of lonesomeness he is reported by Mrs. Webb to have sent forth a little sermon something after this style: "We hereby warn our brothers, yes, and sisters, whether bloomered or not, that these wind-blowed-up bicycle wheels are devices of the demon of the river Styx. They are contrivances to entrap the feet of the unwary and skin the nose of the innocent. They are full of guile and deceit. When you think you have broken one to ride and have subdued his satanic nature, behold it bucketh you off in the road and teareth a great hole in your bloomerloons, and the cuticle from your nose. Look not upon the bicycle when it bloweth up its wheels, for at last--sometimes at first--it bucketh like a bronco, and hurteth like thunder, by jingo. Who has court plastered legs, nose and face? Who has ripped pantaloons? They that dally with a diabolical bicycle."
"News of the City," Medford Mail, July 5, 1895, page 5

Jesse Enyart Can Handle a Gun with the Best Shooters
in the Northwest--He Is a Winner.
    Jesse Enyart was formerly a resident of this city, and is well known here. He now lives at Medford, Oregon, and has built up a reputation as a marksman in the Northwest. At a tournament of the Northwest Sportsman's Association, of which he is now vice president, held at Portland, Oregon, Mr. Enyart won the second prize in the biggest event of the tourney, and besides paying his expenses captured over $100 in prize money.
Logansport Journal, Indiana, July 6, 1895, page 3

    Thomas James, the well-known mining man, will have the superintendency of development work at the coal fields east of Medford, Or., work upon which has commenced.
"Among the Coast Mines,"
The San Francisco Call, July 12, 1895, page 12

    Sam Murray and L. Nudelman started out again this week with their wagonload of merchandise. This trip will be made from here to Crescent City, from there south to Ukiah, and from there they will go east a ways and back home. They have made a couple of trips over in Klamath County, where they traded largely with the Indians--and did well, financially, off of the trip. They carry a line of merchandise and gents' and ladies' furnishing goods.

"News of the City," Medford Mail, July 19, 1895, page 5

Labor Commissioner Fitzgerald Requested to Furnish a Good Woman.
    Labor Commissioner Fitzgerald was greatly amused yesterday at a request for a wife made to him in writing from a farmer whose post office address is at Medford, Or. On July 21 the farmer wrote the following letter, evidently in good faith:
    I have what you may very likely think a strange request to make. Can you find among the unemployed women applying to you for situations a good, honest working woman of middle age who would be willing to come out here and get married and have a good, comfortable home of her own? If you should see fit to interest yourself I might say that I would prefer a German Protestant woman, one really in need of a home. I would not object to one small child. I have a good home and some property in real estate, and can support a wife. Can send you good references. Would want a woman that had been raised in the country. Yours truly,
B. F. CROUCH.       
    Please use enough of your valuable time to make reply.
    The letter excited the Commissioner's ire. "Does that fellow think that I am running a free marriage bureau connection with the employment bureau?" he said.
    The registration of those who want work is increasing every day, but as an encouraging offset the orders for help are now coming in rapidly, and many worthy people are furnished with work every day.
The San Francisco Call, July 24, 1895, page 4

    As published in yesterday's Call the Labor Commissioner received a letter from an Oregon farmer, who requested Fitzgerald to find for him a wife among the unemployed women. Fitzgerald has sent the following answer to the letter:
    B. F. Crouch, Medford, Or.--DEAR SIR: I am in receipt of your application for a wife, and since this is my first experience of the kind that I have ever had, I shall take particular pains to do the job up brown. Kindly send me references and full information, and I shall make a personal matter of it and find you a thoroughly good woman. Yours, truly,
Commissioner of Labor.
"The Free Labor Bureau," The San Francisco Call, July 25, 1895, page 9

    Mr. Crouch of Medford, Or., is angry because his letter to Labor Commissioner Fitzgerald was made public.
"City News in Brief," The San Francisco Call, July 30, 1895, page 7

    D. T. Pritchard, who came up from Medford to attend the sickbed of his wife last Sunday, and who by a decree of death it was made the sad duty of laying to rest in the tomb his beloved wife, will return to Medford tonight on the overland. Mr. Pritchard contemplates returning to Roseburg in the near future to permanently reside. Mr. Pritchard is a jeweler, and if he returns will set up in business here.
"Brief Mention," Roseburg Plaindealer, August 1, 1895, page 3

    At the residence of E. J. Montague in North Roseburg, July 29th, Laura D., wife of D. T. Pritchard, aged 36 years. The funeral services were held in the M.E. Church, South, at 2 p.m., Rev. J. A. Crutchfield conducting the services. A large number of sympathizing friends and neighbors were in attendance. The remains were given sepulture in the Odd Fellows' cemetery.
Roseburg Plaindealer, August 1, 1895, page 3

Angry Because His Letter to Fitzgerald Was Published.
    Several days ago Labor Commissioner Fitzgerald received a letter from B. F. Crouch of Medford, Or., asking him to find a woman in the Free Labor Bureau who would be willing to go to Oregon and marry Mr. Crouch. The Labor Commissioner replied:
I am in receipt of your application for a wife, and since this is my first experience of the kind that I have ever had, I shall take particular pains to do the job up brown. Kindly send me references and full information, and I shall make a personal matter of it and find you a thoroughly good woman.
    Mr. Crouch was evidently displeased that his desires should be made public, for he wrote the following letter to The Call:
MEDFORD, Or., July 27, 1895.       
    Editor Morning Call--DEAR SIR: In your paper of 24th inst., I notice that you published a letter I wrote to the California Free Labor Bureau. The letter in question was not intended for publication, but I suppose you got it in by accident.
    I enclose Mr. Fitzgerald's reply. Turnabout is fair. Please publish his reply. This reply of Mr. Fitzgerald's was evidently written by some mischievous clerk, and I swore a large-sized oath. I might send him a description of your humble servant, but then I did not do so. I might send him references, but will wait until the weather is cooler. Yours truly,
B. F. CROUCH.       
The San Francisco Call, August 1, 1895, page 12

New in Grants Pass--Old in Medford.
From the Grants Pass Courier.
    A young married lady stopping at one of our hotels with her husband had the audacity to appear on our streets in bloomers Monday afternoon. Her advent caused quite a ripple of excitement as she dashed down Sixth Street, and most of the spectators voted the bloomer costume "all right." This tasty apparel is the only one which permits a lady to ride a man's wheel, and a man's wheel is decided by experts as the only fit wheel to ride, as the frame is stronger and the guiding motion easier. Bloomers are so common now in all the large cities that their appearance causes no comment. Let Grants Pass folks show themselves as well behaved as those of big cities.
Medford Mail, August 2, 1895, page 5

A Peculiar Death.
    MEDFORD, Or., Aug. 12.--B. Simpson [A. H. "Bee" Simpson] was pushed from a sidewalk here Saturday afternoon and his neck broken. He had been having some trouble during the afternoon with W. M. Gainey, but nothing serious resulted from the altercation. After Gainey had gone home, Simpson mistook William Crane for Gainey and came at him with a board. Crane, in his own defense, pushed Simpson backwards and the latter fell from the walk to the street, a distance of about two feet, resulting as above stated.
    Simpson had been a resident of this county since 1853, and was about 60 years old. No blame is attached to Crane.

Capital Journal, Salem, August 12, 1895, page 1

    A number of blacksmiths of Rogue River Valley have formed a union, with Hugh Elliott of Jacksonville as president and Geo. F. Merriman of Medford as secretary. The main object of the organization is to maintain a reasonable price for blacksmithing. It is proposed to put horseshoeing at $2.00, with a 10 percent discount for cash. Another meeting will be held soon, when nearly all the blacksmiths in Jackson County are expected to become members.--Times.

Capital Journal, Salem, August 12, 1895, page 3

    Mrs. James Cotie and children of Medford, Ore. were guests of Mrs. Kellogg Saturday.
"Purely Personal," Darlington Record, Darlington, Missouri, August 15, 1895, page 1

Started on a Long Journey.
    COLUMBUS, Ind., Aug. 14.--Richard Stringer and his son Charley left here on a wagon trip to Southern Oregon, a distance of nearly 4,000 miles. They expect to be on the road six months.
Delphi Times, Delphi, Indiana, August 16, 1895, page 8

Tramps Accused of Destroying a Medford Schoolhouse.
    ASHLAND, Or., Aug. 19.--The Medford public schoolhouse, costing $15,000, was burned to the ground at 1 o'clock this morning. The fire was undoubtedly of incendiary origin, and two tramps who were severely handled by the Medford police the day before are suspected.
    The school directors at a meeting today offered a reward of $1000 for the apprehension of the guilty parties, and made arrangements for the construction of a new brick schoolhouse. The burned building was covered by $7000 insurance.
San Francisco Call, August 20, 1895, page 3

Medford's Beautiful Public School Building in Ashes.
Fire of Incendiary Origin Loss $11,000, Insured for Only $7,000.

    The Medford public school building burned to the ground last Monday morning about one o'clock. The first one to discover the fire was Miss Ida Redden, who was at the residence of her sister, Mrs. E. W. Carder, at ten minutes before one o'clock. Her attention was attracted by someone running along the sidewalk, away from the burning building, and who when near Mr. Carder's residence yelled "Fire." The young lady at once called to Mr. Carder, and he was soon on his way to the school house, which was only a couple of blocks from his residence. Mr. Carder, being the engineer at the water works, proceeded directly to the pump house but passed within about a rod of the burning building. As he passed he stopped long enough to take a view of the fire, and its exact location. He states that the fire at that time was quite small and was directly under the steps on the south side of the building. Under the steps was a stairway leading to the entrance to the basement. Before he had reached the water tanks the flames had reached to the top of the steps and were spreading quite rapidly. By this time the alarm had become quite general and the hose team was on its way to the scene, the hose cart being in tow of G. L. Schermerhorn's buggy.
    In a very short space of time the streams of water were at the disposal of the firemen, but by this time the flames in the school building were beyond control, and the attention of the hose boys was turned towards the Southern Methodist Church, which was the nearest structure to the fire. It was only a few moments until the pumps were working with the pressure on the mains, and thus the company had plenty of water, although before the pumps were started the pressure was quite light, owing to the fact that two three-inch streams were being supplied by a four-inch main. There was fourteen feet of water in each tank, which would have lasted several hours even if the pumps had not been started, but of course the pressure would have been light. The school building was erected in 1891 at a cost of about $8000. It contained fully [illegible] worth of furniture, blackboards and other equipments, every piece of which was destroyed. The building and fittings were insured for $7000.
    How the fire originated is a mystery, as well also as those fires which occurred in the past, with not the least shadow of a chance for them to be other than incendiary. No one has been able to locate the parties who, at former fires as well as the one of Monday morning, have been heard running away from the burning building. Last Friday a gang of hoboes made their headquarters at the railroad water tank where two kegs of beer were consumed, and they became so noisy that the same evening they were all "jugged" by Marshal Churchman, in doing which several club and fist rounds were indulged in. On the following morning they were given their freedom with the understanding that they leave the city. This they did not do and were reported to have been in town as late as Sunday night, and a number of our citizens advance the idea that they set fire to the school building to even up with the arrest. At all events they have not been seen since the fire. Another theory is advanced by many that the building was fired by the same person who had a hand in former fires, and this opinion seems the most plausible.
    Following close in the wake of the school house fire, and upon Tuesday morning before the excitement had subsided, was the burning of the barn owned by George Justus, and located on South F Street, about two blocks from the fire of the night before. This latter fire occurred about three o'clock Tuesday morning, and like all previous ones was without doubt of incendiary origin. The barn was unoccupied and only contained some hay and a number of articles of small value. The fire was first discovered by Robt. Lawton, night engineer at the water tanks. He immediately blew the whistle, which was responded to by other alarms, and the hose company was soon on the ground, but were unable to save the building owing to its inflammable character.
    The school library, which was burned, was valued at $75.
    The public school band lost two drums, two horns--alto and tuba--and about $25 worth of music.
    The M.E. Church, South, was charred somewhat, but comparatively little damage was done it--for all of which the good work of the fire boys is responsible.
    It matters very little who was the real discoverer of the school house fire. The more important discovery right now would be the fiend who set the fire.
    When the false alarm was sounded Tuesday night, Joe Kelley is quoted as saying to his family that he knew there was no fire on, but that the alarm was given to announce that the fire fiend had been found and that he would go downtown and help hang him.
    Every effort is being put forth to locate the party, or parties, who have been causing this wholesale destruction of property, and it is hoped that they may soon be brought to justice.
    The weather having been so dry and hot for the past several weeks, every article exposed to the sun's rays has become so inflammable that very little encouragement is required to cause it to burn.
    G. L. Schermerhorn is entitled to big lumps of credit for hitching to the hose cart with his horse and carriage and hauling it to the fire. Gordon is all right almost any place--more especially at a fire.
    Joseph Frizell, of Ashland, a lineman for the Pacific Postal Telegraph Company, was assisting in getting the hose to the fire and was knocked down and the hose cart ran over his leg, bruising it considerably.
    The city council has offered $1000 for the arrest and conviction of the party, or parties, who set fire to the school building. This should attract the attention of some experienced person who can locate the work.
    While the firemen were playing on the church it was necessary to keep their clothing soaked with water to prevent them from catching fire. Councilman J. W. Lawton was given a full bucket of water squarely down his neck.
    When an half dozen, or less, firemen are running to a fire at night with the hose cart, a little help should be given them by citizens who are passing on the street. When the boys call for help you can figure that they need it or they wouldn't call.
    A meeting of the voters of the school district has been called for August 31st to take steps towards the rebuilding of the school house. In all probability a larger and better house will be erected--most likely a brick building will be the choice of the voters of the district.
    An alarm of fire was turned in at 1:30 Wednesday morning, but no fire was discovered. The alarm was charged to Dr. Wait, who fired the first pistol shot, but the doctor was all right--he saw a blaze leap up from the Justus barn ruins and thought it was a new fire. Pretty nearly everybody was aroused by the continued whistle blowing and bell ringing, but they all forgave the doctor his unintended joke when the falsity was made known.
    At every fire there are always several or more kicks coming because that Mr. So-and-So did not do this or did do that. These kicks come from people who do not realize that all men are not of the one mind--especially at a fire. The Mail
is charitable enough to believe that every man upon these fire occasions does to the best of his ability that which he believes to be to the best interests of those whose property is being destroyed and to the town's best good--hence all are entitled to a given amount of credit.
    Without a particle of malice toward any person and brimming full of charity for all, the Mail feels that a word of explanation is due those who labored so assiduously to check the flames of devastation, and in refutal of erroneous reports circulated. First--We have proof positive that only nine minutes of time elapsed from the time fire was first started in the engine until the pressure was turned on in the main. This report comes from Ernest Langley. Had this time been even three times nine minutes the conditions so far as Mr. Carder, the engineer, was concerned would have been the same. He worked with a will to accomplish the best and quickest good, and is entitled to credit rather than censure. As to the amount of water in the tanks, we have the word of three honorable men that there were fourteen feet of water in the tanks at the time the hose was first made fast to the hydrants. The lack of sufficient pressure when the hose was first attached is explained by stating that two three-inch hoses were feeding from one four-inch main. As to the statement that the hose team could have saved a part of the school building had there been sufficient water, we have the word of Dr. E. P. Geary, who states that by the time he could dress and get out into his yard the tower was on fire and the hose cart had just arrived. This being the case, there surely was no hope of saving any part of the building and the fire boys followed the one and only wise course--that of protecting nearby buildings, and by their prompt action the M.E. Church, South, was saved. J. W. Curry, one of the firemen, states that not more than four minutes had elapsed from the time the hose was attached until the engine was pumping into the main. In reference to the irregular working of the pumping engine when pressure was on the main, we wish to explain that this is one of the necessary requirements. During all the time water was being used engineer Carder stood with his hand on the throttle and regulated the cylinder stroke by the amount of water being used--the pressure not to exceed one hundred pounds--this amount of pressure is made the limit because that the mains will not stand a greater amount. When water is being used at a fire it is not an uncommon thing for a kink to get in the hose, thus reducing the flow of water and increasing the pressure--hence the engineer must watch these things, as well as the shutting off of the water entirely by the firemen, and regulate the pumping pressure accordingly.
Medford Mail, August 23, 1895, page 1

    D. I. Waldroop didn't like South C Street as a place of business, but to get on Seventh Street it was necessary to put up a building--which he did, near Hamilton & Palm's real estate office. It is a frame building, covered with corrugated iron and tin. The interior has been beautifully papered and painted and presents a fine appearance. Dan has christened his little palace "The Crater," in honor of that beautiful Crater Lake painting which was painted by Mr. Corson a few months ago and by him presented to Mr. Waldroop. This picture will be placed over the new store. Dan opened up for business this morning. Read his ad in another column of this paper.
    Nearly every day we hear someone telling of the "crying need" for more buildings in which to open business on Main or Seventh Street. The "need" will be "crying" just as loud as now until suitable brick store buildings are built on North and South C Street. Property owners on this street are losing sight of their best interests by not inviting greater value to their property by putting up larger and more substantial buildings.
    There was a fakir on the streets Monday. He procured a license from Recorder Webb to do street peddling and gave his name as Wm. Carter. Soon after the license had been procured he opened up for business near Hotel Nash, but his business was a nut proposition and a fake, and the recorder proceeded to call in the issued license, but not until some of our unsuspecting people had been hornswoggled into the purchase of several of the nuts.
    The blacksmith shop of Merriman & Purdin has dissolved partnership, Mr. Merriman having purchased Mr. Purdin's interest.
    Mr. Russ has moved his chop mill from the sidehill location to level ground further from the residence. He is prepared to do all kinds of chop work.
"News of the City," Medford Mail, August 23, 1895, page 5

    Willis Townsend, sometimes called the "Jedge" by the boys, because of his leaning always toward the side of right and justice--whether it be to the value of a "white" or "red"--has inaugurated himself into a complete and entire real estate and insurance agency. He will have office room with C. W. Palm. Mr. Townsend has proven himself, since his coming to Medford, to be a pretty square gentleman and businesslike on all sides--and a hustler. He proposes to follow the above business and do the right thing by all parties. See his ad in another column.
    The half past seven closing move, which is now on in Medford, is working to a degree of much satisfaction to the merchants. They have heretofore been compelled to stand behind the counters until nine or ten o'clock, but to be given the evenings for a home visit with their families is indeed a pleasure. As very little of the evening trade comes from the country, the closing will hardly work a hardship upon the general business of the city. We townspeople can as well do our trading before the closing hour--and no inconvenience comes therefrom. It is hardly more than fair that we give our merchants a chance for a few hours' time at home with their families.
"News of the City," Medford Mail, August 30, 1895, page 5

John C. Hutchinson's Estate.
    SAN JOSE, Cal., Sept. 10.--Lulu Blabon today petitioned for letters of administration upon the estate of her father, John C. Hutchinson, who died in Monterey County on August 19, 1895. The estate consists of property in Monterey and this county, and is valued at $5672. The heirs are the petitioner, Lulu Blabon, who resides in this city; Maggie Caldwell of Medford, Or., and Amelia I. Caldwell of Contra Costa County.
The San Francisco Call, September 11, 1895, page 4

Were Jefferson Pioneers.
    Jefferson, Ia., Sept. 12.--Telegraphic information is just received from Medford, Ore., of the death of Judge Walton and his wife. They came to Jefferson in 1853, before there was a town, and opened a hotel and store, and, in fact, founded the town. In 1871 Mr. Walton moved to Oregon, became a judge and prominent in public affairs. He died at the age of 79 and the following day his wife died, and both were buried the same day.
Mitchell Daily Republican, Mitchell, South Dakota, September 13, 1895, page 1

September 27, 1895 Medford Mail
September 27, 1895 Medford Mail

A Bunch of Varied Improvements Being Made in the Metropolis of the Valley.
    It hardly seems possible, yet it is a fact, that Medford has continued to grow during the past two years--when times were so deucedly depressing almost everywhere else. That our city has been growing and is still doing business in that line is just as true as the fact that the farmer's wagon wheels go round and that they gyrate Medford way weighted with the products of the soil and returned equally as heavily loaded with merchandise.
    No time has there been since the coming to the city of the present publishers of the Mail but that there has been a steady, sure building growth. The buildings have not been put up with a hurrah and a jump but just fast enough to meet the demand of trade. These structures have been largely of brick, and on them has been fixed a surface of permanence that fosters not retrogression. At the present time there is a little unusual flurry of building, and it is of such nature as to omen good to our fast-developing Hub City. We give below a mention of the buildings now in course of construction--and there are mechanics here sufficient in number to build them all:
    B. B. Gearvais is erecting a 16x24-foot cottage on H Street, between Fifth and Sixth streets.
    M. W. Skeel's new residence, in Southwest Medford, is enclosed and will soon be ready for occupancy.
    George Justus is building a 24x44-foot barn on the site of the building recently burned. L. M. Lyon is doing the work.
    Blacksmith C. W. Milton is nearing his neat and well-built cottage to a finish. This is on West Tenth Street and will be an added beauty to that part of the city.
    Joe Shone has the foundation laid for his new residence in North[we]st Medford, but the gentleman is so dog-blasted busy with other work that he gets but little time for his own house.
    Mrs. A. A. Kellogg is arranging to remove her former store building, corner Sixth and C streets, to another part of the lot and when an addition is made thereto use it for a residence, exclusive.
    The brick work on Councilman J. R. Wilson's  blacksmith shop is finished and the carpenters are now at work laying floors and putting in windows and doors. Brooks, the tinner, is putting on the roof.

    W. F. Halley has arrangements all made for the erection of a two-story brick dwelling house, corner of Fifth and G streets. It will be 24x30 and will cost something like $1500. S. Childers will do the brick work.
    J. C. Furguson's new residence across the river is pretty close onto a finish, and a fine building it is. While we are mentioning it there are several fine residences in that particular locality. G. W. Williams is building Mr. Furguson's residence.
    Hon. Henry Klippel, one of our enterprising lumber merchants, has his beautiful five-room cottage on North H Street enclosed, and the same will soon be ready for occupancy. A more extended mention of this structure was made a couple of weeks ago.
    Ed. Wilkinson's new brick block, in which Ed will carve steaks to the general liking of all who come, is fast narrowing down to a finish, so far as the brick work is concerned. This will positively be the gem of all the buildings--and of which Ed is justly proud.
J. O. Johnson, the Table Rock rancher, has purchased a tract of land just south of Dr. B. F. Adkins' residence--50 feet wide and long enough to reach to the bank of Bear Creek. Upon this land Mr. Johnson is having laid a foundation for a five-room brick cottage. The main part of the building will be 30x35 with an ell 14x24, and a porch on two sides. The structure will cost not less than $1800. S. Childers will do the brick work. W. J. Bennet, architect.
    A new brick block which is soon to be erected will be situated between I. A. Webb's and W. H. Meeker & Co.'s stores, south side of Seventh Street, and will be built by Dr. B. F. Adkins and Mrs. Dennison, who each own a twenty-five-foot lot. The block will be 50x100 feet, two stories high and of brick. The first floor, of Mrs. Dennison's half, will be occupied by Mitchell, Lewis & Staver Company and J. W. Lawton's harness shop, each taking twelve feet of the twenty-five.
    A few weeks ago we made mention of a new residence which L. B. Warner, the fruit tree man and insurance man
--and Mail solicitor--was going to build. He now has Chas. Pheister at work laying the foundation and hopes to get the building up before the winter rains set in. It will be two stories high, six rooms below and three above. This will be a frame building and will cost about $1800. It will be located near Attorney J. H. Whitman's residence. W. J. Bennet, architect.

    Last week we spoke of the new brick residence to be built by S. Childers, Jr. This building will be quite unique in design, the verandas and porticoes being also of brick. It will be a two-story building with six rooms below and three above. The sitting room, parlor and dining room will be connected by folding doors and can all three be thrown into one room when required. The foundation for this building will be commenced within a few few days. The cost of the structure will be about $2000. W. J. Bennet, architect.
    The new brick school building, which is to cost $12,000, is one of the most prominent buildings which is entitled to mention in these columns. Work on the foundation was commenced Saturday morning. The whole work of construction in its several lines will be pushed to its quickest possible completion. The contractors are Butler, Barrett and Stewart. The subcontractors: On stone work, Frank Wait; brick work, G. W. Priddy; iron work, such as bolts, ties, etc., G. F. Merriman; painting, Ling & Boardman.
Medford Mail, September 27, 1895, page 4

    Mrs. G. L. Webb wants to see you at "The Racket." We will give 10 percent reduction on every dollar's worth of goods (except school supplies and "special sales") until the new goods begin to arrive from New York.
    Manager C. O. Damon, of the Medford opera house, has arranged for a series of attractions--six in number--for the coming winter season. The first of these will be The Artist Trio, comprising Miss Laura McManis, the world's greatest whistling soloist, Miss Cornelia May, reader and pantomimist and Miss Julia Phelps, harp soloist and pianist. These people will probably appear about November 1st. Following them--about a month later--will appear Captain Jack Crawford, the poet-scout, late chief of scouts of the United States army. It was Mr. Crawford who wrote "Private Brown," a story which a few months ago was published in these columns. After him will come Mr. Benjamin C. Chapin, impersonator and dramatic interpreter. Still later the Aramenti Concert Co., headed by the celebrated prima donna of New York, Mme. Julia Aramenti. And a month later than this "Brooks and Macy"--Fred Emerson Brooks, the California poet-humorist, J. Williams Macy, the New York buffo basso and humorist. Mr. Damon is entitled to a liberal patronage for the enterprise displayed in securing a visit from these able entertainers.
    Messrs. Weeks & Orr are among our most prominent orchardists, and in these gentlemen are recognized such growers as not only grow and pack fruit in such manner as will profit themselves but their products and work being such that will redound to the good of the entire valley. They have had returns from four carloads of Bartlett pears sent to Chicago, and these returns are very flattering. "They were in excellent shape, well packed and the fruit a good seller"--is the language used. Mr. Orr states that they take special care in packing and have had the same packers employed for eight years.
    It is reasonable to presume that the element known and characterized as hobo will make itself scarce in this little city of ours when it becomes known among them that the city council has purchased balls and chains--the same to adorn the ankles of these gentry when caught idling about the streets. Any of these parties corralled by the city marshal are to be put to work cutting weeds or hammering rocks on the streets for a time equal to a cash payment of a fine for vagrancy.

    Joe Hill has sidetracked his ambitions as a driver of a dray team. In fact, he has graduated in that line of work and is now laying brick on the new school building. He has been doing steady work for about two years and has behaved right cleverly--but he couldn't do anything else--it isn't in him to be crooked. Art Faris takes his place on the dray.
    Telephone connections have been made with Gold Hill, an instrument having been placed in the post office in that town this week. The line will soon be completed to Grants Pass, when all the towns in the valley, along the railroad, will be in speaking distance of each other.
    The Clarendon Hotel has changed hands again. This time Mrs. S. E. Delk retires and Chas. McGowan, of Ashland, takes possession--Tuesday morning. Mrs. Delk has moved to the Justus residence, on South G Street, where she will keep a few boarders.
"News of the City," Medford Mail, September 27, 1895, page 5

    I have for sale the Clarenden Hotel property and barn. Willis Griffin, Medford, Ore.
    A large new sign has swung itself to the gentle and exhilarant zephyrs of a pure Southern Oregon clime--at the front of the erstwhile Clarenden Hotel, and instead of reading "Clarenden Hotel" it is "Western Hotel." Landlord McCown is making many changes about the house, all of which seem to tend to its betterment.
Medford Mail, October 4, 1895, page 5

    Justice Purdin had a case of assault and battery on Wednesday of last week which was one of no little interest, especially during the trial. Wong Sing, a Chinaman who, having dug gold on the Applegate for a period of many months, decided to return to the land of his birth, and after taking a last, long look at the famous Applegate, struck out for China and way points. He arrived safely at Medford but had met a number of "the boys" at neighboring camps, where he had gazed at the ceiling through the bottoms of too many beer mugs, and when he at last brought up at Toy's wash house, which is Mongolian headquarters in this city, he was loaded to the full capacity of fullness. After a friendly chat of a few moments Wong Sing became desirous of celebrating his departure, and seeing no better way in which to do so he gave old Toy a good "thumping." This done, he started for the train, but Toy was not satisfied to see his brother countryman depart in so much glory, so he had him arrested. He was taken before Justice Purdin, and after refusing the assistance of a number of our attorneys, was given an examination. Attorney Hammond appeared for the state, and the Chinaman pled his own case. It did not take long to convince the court that Wong Sing was guilty of a malicious assault, and he fined him $20 and cost--in all $28.50. The Mongolian assaultist was inclined to argue the point, but soon gave it up and proceeded to produce, and the school fund is just an even twenty better off.
"News of the City," Medford Mail, October 11, 1895, page 5

Accident at Ashland.
    ASHLAND, Or., Oct. 14.--While J. A. Enyart of Medford was reloading his shotgun this afternoon the shell exploded and his left hand was blown off. Mr. Enyart is the father of J. E. Enyart, cashier of the Jackson County Bank, who is the champion trap shooter of the Northwest.
The San Francisco Call, October 15, 1895, page 3

    P. S. Enyart of Medford came near losing his left hand while extracting the cap from a shotgun shell. The cap had been snapped but did not explode, and the shot was out of the shell. Enyart did not know that the shell contained powder. Medical aid was summoned and the hand sewed up. He will not lose the use of the hand but will be crippled for awhile.

"Pacific Coast News," Capital Journal, Salem, October 15, 1895, page 1

The People of Medford, Oregon, Exasperated Over the Burning of a Church.
    ASHLAND, Or., Oct. 14.--The First Presbyterian Church of Medford was burned to the ground last night, and with its contents was a total loss. The fire was first discovered in the basement and the whole building was rapidly in flames. The church was being used temporarily for public school purposes until the new $14,000 schoolhouse now under construction shall be finished.
    The origin of the fire was undoubtedly incendiary and the work of the same firebug who burned down Medford's handsome schoolhouse a few months ago, besides setting fire to other buildings. The community is again terror-stricken, as it is expected the firebug will do as he did before, follow this up with other fires, and many predict the fiend will burn down the new schoolhouse as soon as it is finished if he is not caught before.
    The people are exasperated and should anyone be caught in the act extraordinary remedies would be applied.
The San Francisco Call, October 17, 1895, page 3

The Presbyterian Church the Object of the Fire Fiend's Wrath.
This Beautiful Edifice Entirely Consumed--Loss About Two Thousand Dollars.

    The destructive flames have again visited our city. The fire fiend is again at work. Tuesday night at half past eleven o'clock the vigorous ringing of the fire bell awoke many of our citizens from their sound slumbers, and in a few minutes our streets were lined with an excited throng, hurrying in the direction of the fire, which was soon located in the Presbyterian Church, corner Seventh and H streets.
    The hose team were soon at work and did good service in getting the flames under control. It was but a few short moments, however, until the once-handsome structure was a mass of charred ruins. The walls and the belfry are still standing, and the bell is about all there is left of the entire structure, uninjured--in fact, the building is a total loss.
    The cause of the fire, like those which have previously visited our city, is wrapped in mystery. Those who were first to notice the flames state that the fire started at the south end of the building and under the pulpit. It started in the basement, and the fact is plainly demonstrated by a careful survey of the ruins that it did not start from the furnace as at first reported and which is located in about the center of the building--in the basement.
    On the south end of the building there was a door leading into the basement, where the furnace was located and which was used as a store room for wood and other articles which were a part of the church property. This door was fastened with a padlock, and was always kept locked. It is the general belief that the hasp was torn off and in this way access was gained to the basement, where, in all probability, as demonstrated by other incendiary attempts, a quantity of combustibles were arranged, and the whole fired by means of a fuse. In all events it is not at all probable that the fire started from the furnace, as there had only been a low fire in it Tuesday morning, and at eleven o'clock the fire was entirely out and the condition of things about the basement was looked after by the janitor, Mr. Turner.
    The church was being used for school purposes, and a large number of books was left there, and, of course, they were a total loss, which falls quite heavy upon some of the children, who are hardly able to purchase new ones.
    The entire contents, including a small library--valued at about $100--an organ and other furniture was all burned.
    The loss will foot up about $2000, and the building was insured for but $700.
    The church organization is in a prosperous condition, and active steps will be taken at once to rebuild, but just what kind of a building will be erected has not as yet been decided upon, but will be in a few days.
    The Mail
trusts that these people will be able to erect a building which will stand as a model of its kind; one which Medford will be proud of and can be looked to as a structure of beauty and usefulness.
Medford Mail, October 18, 1895, page 4

    Judge Hanna, who sentenced Charles Fiester, the wife murderer, to be hanged in Grants Pass November 29 next, has only passed the death sentence once before, which was upon John Justus, for killing his father, some years ago. Justus' sentence was commuted to life imprisonment and he was pardoned out in a few years.
Capital Journal, Salem, October 18, 1895, page 2

A Former Resident of Logansport Badly Injured.
    Pierce Enyart, of Medford, Ore., a former well-known resident of this city, met with a serious accident last week. He was reloading cartridges for a shotgun and in extracting a cap from a shell which he thought was empty it exploded, stripping his hand of flesh and laying it bare to the bones and tendons. It is thought that amputation will not be necessary, although he will be permanently crippled.
Logansport Reporter, Indiana, October 21, 1895, page 8

    INSANE.--E. P. White, aged 40 years, of Medford, Jackson County, was received at the insane asylum last evening.

Capital Journal,
Salem, October 23, 1895, page 4

    The following notaries were appointed today: Chas. E. Wolcott, Medford. . . .

"State House News," Capital Journal, Salem, October 28, 1895, page 4

    As a Chinese tradesman Horace Nicholson is hardly up to the standard of those of Oriental birth. On Monday of this week one of the almond-eyed, with braided appendant, went into the store of J. Beek & Co. after quicksilver. The Mongolian didn't just exactly kum-tux the name of the article he wanted, but with the fingers of one hand he endeavored to pick up an imaginary something from the palm of the other, saying as he did so, "You catch him, you no catch him; you got him?" Horace insisted that it was a flea he wanted, but fleas didn't go with the Chinaman, and when he said something about gold dust Horace fell behind the counter, apparently dead, and John Norris came to the rescue and sold the Chinaman twenty-three pounds of quicksilver.
"News of the City," Medford Mail, November 29, 1895, page 3

    Mrs. J. H. Page accompanied her son Fred as far south as Medford on his trip into the valley Wednesday.

"From Oregon Cities: Ashland," Capital Journal, Salem, November 30, 1895, page 1

    Harry Angle is walking with a cane now. The severe injury to his leg resulted from a fall down a stairway in the dark.
    Mrs. M. Kessler, with her two daughters, Mabel and Francis [sic] and her little sons, arrived from Klamath Falls Sunday and will take up their residence here.
"From Oregon Cities: Medford," Capital Journal, Salem, December 6, 1895, page 4

He's a Printer--a Bad One.
    Many of the early day residents of Medford--those dating their residence seven or eight years back--will remember a family who lived here by the name of Broback. The old gentleman, when here, having been interested to considerable extent in Medford real estate. There was a crippled son, F. W. Broback, in the family. From here the family moved to Ukiah, Calif., and the son, for amusement started a job printing office and after learning printing did a good business--in fact, too good of late, for his general well being. He has not been doing a legitimate line of printing, but instead, has been printing obscene books and circulars and has, according to the Examiner, been placing them in the hands of agents in many localities on the coast and from the same of which he has gathered a good bit of money. The Federal officers have been endeavoring to trace the origin of this literature for several months and this week succeeded in capturing Broback and his outfit. He was in the act of completing a 500 order for these indecent books. His bond was fixed at $3000.
Medford Mail, December 27, 1895, page 8

Last revised December 21, 2019
For more complete names of persons identified by initials, see the Index.