R. L. Polk & Co.'s Oregon, Washington and Alaska Gazetteer and Business Directory 1917-18,
MEDFORD. Jackson County. Population 11,000. Settled in 1884, incorporated as a city in , located in the Rogue River Valley on Bear Creek and Southern Pacific railway, 328 miles south of Portland, 5 east of Jacksonville, county seat. It is the commercial center of Jackson County. The city is well built and possesses the appearance of a metropolitan center. It has asphalt-paved streets, cement sidewalks, sewers. All religious denominations are represented. It has 4 banks, 2 daily and weekly newspapers, splendid schools, water works, electric light and power plant, large hotels and stores. Fertile lands adjacent and extensive quartz and placer mines in vicinity. Ships fruit, livestock. Pacific Telephone & Telegraph Co., Independent Telephone Co.
page 211 Abbreviations spelled out to facilitate searching
Last revised November 25, 2011