MEDFORD. Jackson County. Population 10,500. Settled in 1884, incorporated as a city in , located in the Rogue River Valley on Bear Creek and Southern Pacific railway, 328 miles south of Portland, 5 east of Jacksonville, county seat. It is the commercial center of Jackson County. The city is well built and possesses the appearance of a metropolitan center. It has asphalt-paved streets, cement sidewalks, sewers. All religious denominations are represented. It has 4 banks, 2 daily and weekly newspapers, splendid schools, water works, electric light and power plant, large hotels and stores. Fertile lands adjacent and extensive quartz and placer mines in vicinity. Ships fruit, livestock. Pacific Telephone & Telegraph Co., Independent Telephone Co.
R. L. Polk & Co.'s Oregon, Washington and Alaska Gazetteer and Business Directory 1915-16,
page 239 Abbreviations spelled out to facilitate searching.
Medford--Altitude 1,350 feet. Population 9,200. On main line of Southern Pacific Railroad. Western terminus of Pacific & Eastern Railroad, which taps great timber belt in upper Rogue River district. Terminus of Rogue River Valley Railroad, with daily ten-train service to Jacksonville, county seat. On Bear Creek, tributary of Rogue River. Is commercial and business center of Jackson County and Rogue River Valley. City is well built and possesses the appearance of a metropolitan center. Eighteen miles of asphalt paved streets, 32 miles of cement sidewalks, 26 miles of sewers and 27 miles of iron water mains, constructed at a cost of $1,700,000. In midst of extensive and exceedingly fertile section of Rogue River Valley. Especially adapted to fruit raising, particularly apples, pears, peaches and small fruits, and to dairying and general farming. Mining is an important industry in the near vicinity. Municipal gravity water works system. Privately owned electric lighting plant. Irrigation necessary for assurance of best results in all fruit products, and is practiced generally throughout the valley. Average annual rainfall 27.21 inches. United States Weather Bureau District Forecaster's office and Pathologist's office here. Two marble and granite works and three planing mills. Public Library, Sacred Heart Hospital and Federal Building. One term of United States District Court held here annually. Public park. Public market. High and graded public schools. St. Mary's Academy (Catholic), Business College and Conservatory of Music. Adventist, Baptist, Catholic, Christian, Christian Science, Episcopal, Lutheran, Methodist Episcopal, Free Methodist, Methodist South, and Presbyterian churches. Commercial Club. Medford Merchants Association. Realty Association. University Club. Greater Medford Club. College Women's Club. Two daily and two weekly papers. Medford is within 6-hour auto ride of nature's wonder, Crater Lake, 80 miles northeast. Noted geologists, botanists and scientific people come from foreign countries to study it. All leading lodges and societies are represented. Fully equipped wireless station near. Four banks; capital and surplus, $5523,000; deposits, $1,995.000.
Oregon Almanac, Oregon State Immigration Commission 1915, page 165
Last revised July 10, 2012